Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


The National Football League League News & Current Events

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2005   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Houston
Posts: 8,991
Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Cass now planning to offer Cowboys' Jones good deal on Louisiana swamp land

************************************************** **
Sucker Jerry Jones bought it hook, line, & sinker when Cass got a 3rd round
pick for Drew Henson - now rumors are Cass is gonna make him another "can't miss" deal, a large tract of Real Estate in the Louisiana swamps that's a great place for building houses - no telling what Cass will
get for this "very valuable property" - watch out for those gators & quick
sand there Jerry boy.
************************************************** **
" Posted on Tue, Aug. 09, 2005
Henson's status gets shakier every day
By GIL LEBRETON
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Quote:
Last Saturday's scrimmage provided the fitting synopsis to Henson's first week in training camp. His long pass to Ahmad Merritt soared high and true, but seemed to wither about one stride short of its mark -- incomplete. Henson completed only four of his next 12 passes, failing to reach the end zone.
Don't jump to conclusions, Parcells has cautioned the media.
"I'm not going to go into those guys yet," he said Monday morning, dodging a question about his three quarterbacks. "I told you that I'll talk about them after a couple of [preseason] games."
It doesn't take a sociology degree, however, to see that in newcomer Drew Bledsoe, Parcells has a No. 1 quarterback whom he feels he can trust. Bledsoe's training camp performance thus far could best be described as confident, but unspectacular.
Not that Parcells is looking for spectacular.
Henson, meanwhile, has been undistinguished to the point of prompting some sideline-watchers to think he might be losing his No. 2 status to Tony Romo.
Henson admitted he didn't have a good first scrimmage.
"Yeah, I would have liked to have been more effective," he said. "I've got to make the corrections, learn from my mistakes and keep moving forward. I don't have time to look back."
Parcells may not have time, either. He has structured practices to give equal opportunities to all three quarterbacks -- equal snaps, equal attempts in the two-minute drill and equal playing time once preseason games begin.
Henson shrugged off a question about that putting added pressure on him and Romo.
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/co...n/12338765.htm
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005   #2
Huge
Hall of Fame
 
Huge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Out yonder way...
Age: 43
Posts: 2,386
Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP
Default

That's what they get for messing with a guy's natural mechanics.

Parcells also screwed up by not putting Drew in after our playoff chances disappeared. Simply didn't understand the move. What was the point in not playing Henson? If he tanks, at least you know he tanks and you move on. If he does well enough to give you hope, at least you have that.

And now we have Bledsoe and it's back to square one. We still don't know what we have with Henson and we still have an over the hill QB (I don't care how much younger he is than Testaverde) that will take snaps away.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005   #3
HowBoutThemCowboys!
All Pro
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Austin
Age: 24
Posts: 782
Rep Power: 30 HowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performer
Default

Some deals work out for both sides, some don't. In this case right now it isn't looking good for Henson but it's still too early to tell. I wouldn't nessacarily call Jones a sucker, he's made some good trades in his day. Like last year when we delt out our first rounder to Buffalo and drafted Julius Jones in the second round and received a second first round pick for 2005.
__________________
Don't hate the name
Respect the Game

Dallas Cowboys- 5 Time World Champions
HowBoutThemCowboys! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005   #4
WWJD
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,260
Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

I heard a rumor on the radio....the ESPN station in Dallas that Randy Galloway has and they were batting around a rumor that the Cowboys were interested in dealing for Rivers in San Diego.

I didn't pay much attention and I don't know how accurate that is but anyway that's what's out there.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005   #5
Texas Torture
Rookie
 
Texas Torture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 28
Rep Power: 0 Texas Torture is ridin' the pine
Default

i think the writing was on the wall last t-day vs a struggling bear tm, when bill put in drew for a struggling-wounded duck testeverde, whose career was already running on empty. and then pulled drew back out a qtr later. it was a bad piece of coaching to take the air out of the balloon of an aspiring qb- who does bill think he is?? mike ditka?

but at the same time, if drews' picture of success is to beat tony 'i can't believe i'm still in the nfl' romo out for bu qb, then maybe they should share a cab leaving oxnard.
__________________
My Web Site
Texas Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005   #6
DFAN
Veteran
 
DFAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Deer Park TX
Age: 41
Posts: 214
Rep Power: 11 DFAN is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
That's what they get for messing with a guy's natural mechanics.

Parcells also screwed up by not putting Drew in after our playoff chances disappeared. Simply didn't understand the move. What was the point in not playing Henson? If he tanks, at least you know he tanks and you move on. If he does well enough to give you hope, at least you have that.

And now we have Bledsoe and it's back to square one. We still don't know what we have with Henson and we still have an over the hill QB (I don't care how much younger he is than Testaverde) that will take snaps away.

Well in BP defence they were mathimaticlly in until the last week.

I never was on the Henson Bandwagon. Didnt like the trade the trade to begin with. As long as BP is coaching the Cowboys Henson will not start.

I for one do not want to tank a season to find out if some baseball reject can make it in the NFL.
DFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005   #7
Wolf
100% Texan
 
Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Kerrville
Age: 44
Posts: 37,565
Rep Power: 133123 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

I agree with huge. Cowboys weren't going anywhere. I would have seen what Drew had to offer. I always thought BP was a good coach. This season will tell. I just don't understand why he gets "his" guys (bledso, Keshawn) when they are on the downside of their careers.
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-11-2005   #8
nunusguy
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Houston
Posts: 8,991
Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

From a person who's not a Cowboys fan, but a somewhat interested bystander, I have to say I think many of the Cowboys faithful are amazingly
tolerant & patient of Parcells. Parcells decision to ignore the development of a young QB and instead pick up a veteran FA QB to run the team is a clear indication that he's sacrifycing the teams future for a quick, near-term fix. I knew coming in that Parcells didn't give a crap about the history and tradition of the Cowboys, but I didn't think he would screw up their future. But I guess when a teams fans have hated its owner as long and as much as they've hated Jones, they will give a new coach more opportunites than most to somehow succeed. But the part of it that's really hard to understand is how
Jones just passively stands by and lets him do it - he's got his new stadium
deal over in Ft.Worth, why doesn't he stand up to Parcells, he owns the team ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005   #9
DFAN
Veteran
 
DFAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Deer Park TX
Age: 41
Posts: 214
Rep Power: 11 DFAN is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
From a person who's not a Cowboys fan, but a somewhat interested bystander, I have to say I think many of the Cowboys faithful are amazingly
tolerant & patient of Parcells. Parcells decision to ignore the development of a young QB and instead pick up a veteran FA QB to run the team is a clear indication that he's sacrifycing the teams future for a quick, near-term fix. I knew coming in that Parcells didn't give a crap about the history and tradition of the Cowboys, but I didn't think he would screw up their future. But I guess when a teams fans have hated its owner as long and as much as they've hated Jones, they will give a new coach more opportunites than most to somehow succeed. But the part of it that's really hard to understand is how
Jones just passively stands by and lets him do it - he's got his new stadium
deal over in Ft.Worth, why doesn't he stand up to Parcells, he owns the team ?

Henson isnt Carr, Manning(Eil), Harrington, Palmer ect... He is a baseball reject who hadnt played football in 3 years. A project.

How is BP screwing up the future of the Cowboys? By not playing a QB who is hasnt played football in 3 years and only played 8 or 9 games in college? The Cowboys right now are in better shape than they were 3 years ago.

Its Arlington not Ft Worth. Any who. I can't believe you said JJ should step in and say something to BP. When all you ever heard about Jj is he needs to stay out of the football part of the team. He's finally doing that and now he's going to get bash for that as well? Funny.
DFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005   #10
nunusguy
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Houston
Posts: 8,991
Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFAN
Its Arlington not Ft Worth.
FYI, Arlington is actually part of the Ft Worth metropolitan area just as Plano & Irving are part of the Dallas metro division. And now that I think of it, since
the Cowboys will be moving from the municipality of Irving to Arlington, the Ft Worth Cowboys would be the most appropriate name, especialy when you
realize Ft Worth, unlike Dallas, was truly a cowtown at one time. Eventually Dallas may get its own NFL team again.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005   #11
DFAN
Veteran
 
DFAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Deer Park TX
Age: 41
Posts: 214
Rep Power: 11 DFAN is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
FYI, Arlington is actually part of the Ft Worth metropolitan area just as Plano & Irving are part of the Dallas metro division. And now that I think of it, since
the Cowboys will be moving from the municipality of Irving to Arlington, the Ft Worth Cowboys would be the most appropriate name, especialy when you
realize Ft Worth, unlike Dallas, was truly a cowtown at one time. Eventually Dallas may get its own NFL team again.

The stadium is being built in Arlington. The city of Arlington voted on it. Not Ft Worth. But thanks for the geography lesson.
DFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005   #12
HowBoutThemCowboys!
All Pro
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Austin
Age: 24
Posts: 782
Rep Power: 30 HowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
From a person who's not a Cowboys fan, but a somewhat interested bystander, I have to say I think many of the Cowboys faithful are amazingly
tolerant & patient of Parcells. Parcells decision to ignore the development of a young QB and instead pick up a veteran FA QB to run the team is a clear indication that he's sacrifycing the teams future for a quick, near-term fix. I knew coming in that Parcells didn't give a crap about the history and tradition of the Cowboys, but I didn't think he would screw up their future. But I guess when a teams fans have hated its owner as long and as much as they've hated Jones, they will give a new coach more opportunites than most to somehow succeed. But the part of it that's really hard to understand is how
Jones just passively stands by and lets him do it - he's got his new stadium
deal over in Ft.Worth, why doesn't he stand up to Parcells, he owns the team ?


How exactly has Parcells ruined our future?

Look at the nucleus of our defense: Spears, Canty, Ware, Burnett, Roy Williams, Terrence Newman, Anthony Henry, Bradie James. All players have unlimited ceilings and are all under 30. Our DL is set for years to come as is 3/4 of our LB unit. We're set in the secondary too.

On offense we have promising young players. Witten is a Pro-Bowler, J Jones is considered by many to be an up-and-coming star, Al Johnson has been praised by many preseason mags as an up-and-coming center. We need youth along the OL, but Rogers and Peterman look good (that's 3/5 of the line that looks good and young). WR is something that needs an infusion of health as well......Keep an eye on Patrick Crayton.

I'd say we have an almost PERFECT blend of youth and experience. BP has done an outstanding job! QB is a problem area......that may need some work, but I'm still not convinced that Henson and Romo are duds. Bledsoe will do fine for the Cowboys. Parcells is preaching patience.......so I'll be patient.
__________________
Don't hate the name
Respect the Game

Dallas Cowboys- 5 Time World Champions

Last edited by HowBoutThemCowboys!; 08-11-2005 at 10:14 PM.
HowBoutThemCowboys! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005   #13
WWJD
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,260
Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

I've eaten some serious crow over the summer. I was one of the ones that wanted Bill gone....I felt he was not the right coach for the Cowboys but I was wrong. They've done some really good things with the draft and FA this year and have definitely upgraded a suspect defense. I'm concerned about the offense and Bledsoe but I'll reserve judgement until I see them play some. Julius Jones is the real deal for sure so they can build around him. But QB is a real question mark. Time will tell.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005   #14
nunusguy
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Houston
Posts: 8,991
Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowBoutThemCowboys!
BP has done an outstanding job!
Hold that thought and get in that long line along with Jones to buy some "very valuable" swamp ground over in Louisiana from Cass.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005   #15
Huge
Hall of Fame
 
Huge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Out yonder way...
Age: 43
Posts: 2,386
Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFAN
Henson isnt Carr, Manning(Eil), Harrington, Palmer ect... He is a baseball reject who hadnt played football in 3 years. A project.

How is BP screwing up the future of the Cowboys? By not playing a QB who is hasnt played football in 3 years and only played 8 or 9 games in college? The Cowboys right now are in better shape than they were 3 years ago.
Then why is Henson on the roster? If you, as a head coach, don't trust in his abilities, then get rid of him. But how do you know you can't trust his abilities unless you play him?

And with Bledsoe being as old as he is (and ineffective), you've got to start looking for his replacement pretty damn soon. And with Henson on the roster, Jerry is going to think they don't need to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowBoutThemCowboys!
How exactly has Parcells ruined our future?

Look at the nucleus of our defense: Spears, Canty, Ware, Burnett, Roy Williams, Terrence Newman, Anthony Henry, Bradie James. All players have unlimited ceilings and are all under 30. Our DL is set for years to come as is 3/4 of our LB unit. We're set in the secondary too.
I'd say it's pretty safe to say Henry's ceiling is pretty limited. And while I'm a big fan of Bradie, he hasn't done anything yet. Williams and Newman will be great. Spears, Canty, Ware and Burnett are rookies. And how many times has a team had every draft pick from one season pan out? I don't think it's ever happened for a team that already had some semblence of depth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowBoutThemCowboys!
On offense we have promising young players. Witten is a Pro-Bowler, J Jones is considered by many to be an up-and-coming star, Al Johnson has been praised by many preseason mags as an up-and-coming center. We need youth along the OL, but Rogers and Peterman look good (that's 3/5 of the line that looks good and young). WR is something that needs an infusion of health as well......Keep an eye on Patrick Crayton.
Witten is a great TE. But were his numbers a reflection of our lack of depth at WR? Meaning, if we had better WRs, I don't think you'd see so many passes going Witten's way. But he is good.

Jones is going to have to do more than just a really good half of a season before I'm sold. I'm glad he's on our team but if he played for the Eagles, I'm sure most Cowboys fans would tell their fans we're skeptical of him.

Al Johnson is currently battling Andre Gurode for the starting C spot. Can't really boast about him yet. Rogers can't seem to stay healthy and Larry Allen would be a shoo-in as our RT is Parcells trusted Peterman enough to put him at LG (and apparently, Bill doesn't trust him enough to do that yet). Patrick Crayton is battling Quincy Morgan for the #3 WR. That's not a ringing endorsement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowBoutThemCowboys!
I'd say we have an almost PERFECT blend of youth and experience. BP has done an outstanding job! QB is a problem area......that may need some work, but I'm still not convinced that Henson and Romo are duds. Bledsoe will do fine for the Cowboys. Parcells is preaching patience.......so I'll be patient.
I'd disagree about the blend. Until you see them on the field, you don't know what you have.

Our biggest problem is that Parcells refuses to address our biggest need: a good young QB. And the reason he continues to address this area is because he refuses to coach through a rebuilding period. And considering where we came from, that's what we're going through right now. This team is not ready to compete with the elite and won't be for at least 2 more years (unless we continue to ignore the QB problem, then it'll be longer). Had they addressed this problem within the past few years, then we'd be on the verge of competing with our skill players progressing along with the veterans.

In this sense, Parcells has screwed the future. How long the ramnifications last remain to be seen but time will tell.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005   #16
nunusguy
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Houston
Posts: 8,991
Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

The face of the soon to be Ft Worth-Arlington Cowboys is now an Arkansas
hick who spends most of his time fantasizing about a team in another century
and another old man who is from Jersey who doesn't give a squat about the franchise but will pimp it anyway he can for his own ego trip. How long has it been since this was a half-way descent organization ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005   #17
WWJD
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,260
Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

You do realize that the Cowboys haven't played in Dallas for decades now right? The name won't change....Arlington isn't really much different than Irving except it's a few more miles down the road.

Don't always agree with Jerry but he's no hick.

As for Bill he wouldn't stay if he didn't want to. He has more money than life left to spend it in and doesn't need the high profile because everybody in football knows who he is. So the pimp theory doesn't work. He's there because it's his job and he wants to be there. If that changes next season he'll leave.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005   #18
HowBoutThemCowboys!
All Pro
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Austin
Age: 24
Posts: 782
Rep Power: 30 HowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
The face of the soon to be Ft Worth-Arlington Cowboys is now an Arkansas
hick who spends most of his time fantasizing about a team in another century
and another old man who is from Jersey who doesn't give a squat about the franchise but will pimp it anyway he can for his own ego trip. How long has it been since this was a half-way descent organization ?
Get a life.
__________________
Don't hate the name
Respect the Game

Dallas Cowboys- 5 Time World Champions
HowBoutThemCowboys! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005   #19
HowBoutThemCowboys!
All Pro
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Austin
Age: 24
Posts: 782
Rep Power: 30 HowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
I'd say it's pretty safe to say Henry's ceiling is pretty limited. And while I'm a big fan of Bradie, he hasn't done anything yet. Williams and Newman will be great. Spears, Canty, Ware and Burnett are rookies. And how many times has a team had every draft pick from one season pan out? I don't think it's ever happened for a team that already had some semblence of depth.

What's limited? That's a loaded term. He is a physical CB not a cover corner and will never be a cover corner and wasn't brought in to be one. That's Newman. Vice versa, Newman will never be a physical CB. It depends in what you are looking for in a player and how he fits the schemes you want to run. There is more than one type of a player for every position in football.

What you have in these young players is great potential. That can't be denied. Other teams would love to have it, I am sure the 3-4 scheme of the Texans could use some pass rush. the potential is what we didn't have in years past is that same potential. That's the excitement.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
Witten is a great TE. But were his numbers a reflection of our lack of depth at WR? Meaning, if we had better WRs, I don't think you'd see so many passes going Witten's way. But he is good.
What's the difference? When the WR weren't producing he did, if the WR produces I am sure Witten's numbers will go down and to me that's a great indication. At the end, what matters is how well did your offense do and how many points you scored. So having a great TE and a WR group that can be good, will only make the offense better. It's not about the individual stats and players. It's about how good your team is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
Jones is going to have to do more than just a really good half of a season before I'm sold. I'm glad he's on our team but if he played for the Eagles, I'm sure most Cowboys fans would tell their fans we're skeptical of him.
He has shown enough to make every one excited. He has shown more in half a season than Dominic Davis has as long as he has been in the league. I think the cowboys feel more secure about the RB position than the Texans do or should. And sometimes you just have to have the eye for players. Certain players just have it, and this time next year you won't even have the slightests of doubts. For now, the Cowboy fans will bear down, grin and will tell you wait and see. The one thing that most non Cowboy fans have to remember is that they should be prepared to eat crow...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
Al Johnson is currently battling Andre Gurode for the starting C spot. Can't really boast about him yet. Rogers can't seem to stay healthy and Larry Allen would be a shoo-in as our RT is Parcells trusted Peterman enough to put him at LG (and apparently, Bill doesn't trust him enough to do that yet). Patrick Crayton is battling Quincy Morgan for the #3 WR. That's not a ringing endorsement.

I have no idea what you were trying to say in the above paragraph. Al Johnson showed his potential and playing ability last year. If we didn't have gurode I would be perfectly happy and satisfied with his play. With Guorode battling Johnson for the starting spot, it only high lights the fact that we have great depth at the position. And you think that's bad?

I agree, Rogers and the RT spot is a question mark. We knew that going in and it still is a question mark. But comparing it to last year when we had three holes on the right side of the OL, now we have 1. Rome wasn't built in one day.

The same goes for Morgan and Crayton. if Crayton happens to take playing time away from Morgan then great, we are that much deeper. Just because players are battling for spots doesn't mean that they suck. It's competition, it's good and it means you have depth. So if Morgan goes down, we have Crayton who can step in (if he so happens to beat him for the #3 spot).

I am just not sure why you think depth is bad? Especially if there is competition between proven players and players who are stepping up!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
I'd disagree about the blend. Until you see them on the field, you don't know what you have.
A very generic statement, but I can't argue with that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
Our biggest problem is that Parcells refuses to address our biggest need: a good young QB. And the reason he continues to address this area is because he refuses to coach through a rebuilding period. And considering where we came from, that's what we're going through right now. This team is not ready to compete with the elite and won't be for at least 2 more years (unless we continue to ignore the QB problem, then it'll be longer). Had they addressed this problem within the past few years, then we'd be on the verge of competing with our skill players progressing along with the veterans.

In this sense, Parcells has screwed the future. How long the ramnifications last remain to be seen but time will tell.

Hmmmm.....the Cowboys have been able to address many needs in one off season. Every cowboy fan knew that the problems weren't going to be fixed in one off season, except the anti-cowboys who like to come in and re-state the obvious.

Plus Parcells said it last year how are you suppose to find a QB? Dial 1-800-quarterback? Where is the young talented QBs that you think we should have brought in and developed? Wasn't the consensus in this was a very weak QB class? So Cowboys should have gambled and drafted for a need instead of drafting talented players.

And btw, how do you know that he is not developing a young QB? Just because the texans who were a new team threw carr to the wolves doesn't mean that's the only way to develop a QB. Favre, McNabb, McNair, Pennington, Delhomme, Volek, Brady, green, bulger, warner, all either sat on the bench for a year or longer or took different paths to the QB stardom in the NFL.
__________________
Don't hate the name
Respect the Game

Dallas Cowboys- 5 Time World Champions
HowBoutThemCowboys! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005   #20
nunusguy
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Houston
Posts: 8,991
Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowBoutThemCowboys!
Get a life.
I do have a life and its right here on the Texans' Board and I certainly wouldn't be a nuisance to others on their team's Board - why are you ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger