Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-08-2005   #1
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8733 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected
Default open or closed

im guessing that after the opening day loss last year to sd, they will keep the roof open this year against a cold weather pittsburgh team.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005   #2
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

i think the roof deal has more to do with the fans than the team. i mean if it's 90+ degrees, they'll keep the roof shut to accomodate the fans.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005   #3
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy
i think the roof deal has more to do with the fans than the team. i mean if it's 90+ degrees, they'll keep the roof shut to accomodate the fans.
Wrong.

See: Raiders game, 2004.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005   #4
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

i don't think i'm totally wrong on this one.
Old 08-08-2005   #5
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

It would be foolish not to play a home town conditioning advantage. Miami's streak was at least influenced by the temperature--and notice they got beat by a hot weather team. Stick Pittsburgh in black and let them sweat.
Old 08-08-2005   #6
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8733 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
It would be foolish not to play a home town conditioning advantage. Miami's streak was at least influenced by the temperature--and notice they got beat by a hot weather team. Stick Pittsburgh in black and let them sweat.

i have to agree. even though i would much rather sit in the air conditioning. if they are considering going to the playoffs and beating a very good pitt team then they need every advantage that they can get.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005   #7
ATX
Hall of Fame

i agree that the heat is our advantage early in the season and that we should use it to our advantage.
Sponsored links
Old 08-08-2005   #8
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

first there can't be ANY rain in the area of the entire town of Houston. Then the wind has to be lower than 35 MPH. And the heat factor for the fans is a consideration also. If all of that is good, then the roof will be open.

We should leave it open to give us an advantage over Pitts, but some of that is out of everyone's hands with the NFL rules regarding our roof.
thegr8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005   #9
ATX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
Wrong.

See: Raiders game, 2004.
what does the raider game have to do with it? the temperature for the raiders game at gametime was 88 degrees and the temperature at the start of the chargers game was 93 degrees. both days had no rain, but was the roof open on opening day for san diego? i'm just curious as to why the roof was open for the raiders game and closed for the san diego game?
Old 08-09-2005   #10
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Probably because we seriously underestimated San Diego.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005   #11
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

The position of the roof has no bearing when discussing how good or bad a team is. Good teams overcome adverse conditions to win. Bad teams are bad not matter the roof being open or not. IMHO. I am pretty sure they close roof when it is stifling hot for the fans.
Old 08-09-2005   #12
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rittenhouserobz
The position of the roof has no bearing when discussing how good or bad a team is. Good teams overcome adverse conditions to win. Bad teams are bad not matter the roof being open or not. IMHO. I am pretty sure they close roof when it is stifling hot for the fans.
*bbbuuuzzzzzzz*

Think. Black jerseys, temps 5-10 degrees higher than the team is used to, and more humidty than the team is used to.

I don't care HOW good you are, this WILL affect your players to some degree.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005   #13
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

I understand it will affect the players, but if I were a coach I would not rely heavily on the opposition being too hot to perform. I would have a solid gameplan that would exploit the opposition. Like running a no-huddle offense for a couple series with alot of running the ball, if I had a 2-TD lead. The roof can help, but the players and the coaches gameplan wins the game.
Old 08-09-2005   #14
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool

Yes, I agree with that
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005   #15
geofb
Veteran

Does anyone know for sure (vs. just blowing hot air out of our rears) what guidelines the Texans have on open vs. closed roof? In year 1 they published what the NFL rules were. It dealt with rain/lightning, etc. It said nothing at all about heat. It could be 200 degrees on the field and the NFL guideline at that time was silent on roof open or closed in 200 degree weather.

Before last years SD game, there seemed to be no concern whatsoever on the part of the Texans in regards to closing the roof due to heat. The roof stayed open regardless of how hot it was. But the SD game broke the mold...no rain anywhere in sight and though it was hot I think we have had hotter games in the past with the roof being kept open. Was that SD game just a one time oddity or is there some new rule(s) in effect that the Texans go by regarding heat and roof position?

Again, does anyone really know?
geofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005   #16
Bull Pen 1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1621 Bull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Did you every think that the weather wouldn't bother SD that much since they play in hot weather also. The Raiders play in a coller climate, so the roof was open.

Unfortunally, I don't think the fan consideration has nothing to do with it, weather the roof is open or closed.
Bull Pen 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005   #17
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to BradK10 Send a message via Yahoo to BradK10

screw pansy fans who can't take the heat. that's what i hate about some fellow houston fans. you freakin go out and do yardwork in this weather, why not support the team you pay hundred (maybe thousands) to go see.

i hate domed stadiums...can ya tell?
Old 08-10-2005   #18
ATX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradK10
screw pansy fans who can't take the heat. that's what i hate about some fellow houston fans. you freakin go out and do yardwork in this weather, why not support the team you pay hundred (maybe thousands) to go see.

Tell that to all the fans at minute maid field. notice how in july and august, the roof stays closed more than open.
Old 08-10-2005   #19
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradK10

I say keep it closed. When i did yard work in the heat was becuase I had to. Yard work is just that...work. When i want to relax I want to do so in a nice comfortble enviorment. And I hope the one game I attend yearly will be closed and cool!

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005   #20
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst
I say keep it closed. When i did yard work in the heat was becuase I had to. Yard work is just that...work. When i want to relax I want to do so in a nice comfortble enviorment. And I hope the one game I attend yearly will be closed and cool!
Then attend a game in December.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read