Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-07-2005   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Incredibly Funny!

Gibbs apologizes for calling Dallas fans ugly Click here to find out more!
NFL.com wire reports

BALTIMORE (Aug. 6, 2005) -- Washington Redskins coach Joe Gibbs apologized Aug. 6 for calling Dallas Cowboys fans "the ugliest people in the world."

While answering questions from the crowd at the team's Fan Appreciation Day at training camp Aug. 5, Gibbs said: "I know we don't have any Dallas people here -- they are the ugliest people in the world."

Gibbs later stressed that he was joking, but he felt the need to address the matter again after Saturday's scrimmage against the Baltimore Ravens.

"I tried to make a joke," Gibbs said. "I was joking. It didn't come out probably like a joke or like it should've. I hope all my buddies in Dallas -- because I've got a lot of buddies down there -- took it the right way. I hope they thought it was a joke.

"But if they didn't think it was a joke, or if anybody took it the wrong way other than a joke, when you make a mistake like that, you've got to apologize. So I apologize to anybody that might have taken it the other way."

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/WAS/8710885
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005   #2
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Geeez, we are getting so PC that we can't even bust on the oposition.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005   #3
DFAN
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
Geeez, we are getting so PC that we can't even bust on the oposition.

I agee. I read the article before he apologized for it and I thought it was funny.

It was fan appreciation day and he was trying to pump them up for the season. What better way than to bust on your rivals.

People are was to sensitive these days. I saw no reason for the apology.
DFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005   #4
HowBoutThemCowboys!
All Pro

Rep Power: 30 HowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performer

Thats right Gibby.. Suck up the crow while you have a chance.. That way your team doesn't look stupid when the Cowboys beat your team up for the 15th time straight.. All of hell's going to break loose in Texas Stadium on week 2. Things will get pretty ugly..

Dallas Cowboys- 5 Time World Champions
HowBoutThemCowboys! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005   #5
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That way your team doesn't look stupid when the Cowboys beat your team up for the 15th time straight
you know it's August when the Cowboys are bragging about beating someone up 'X' amount of times in a row. Even if that someone is the 'red headed stepchild' of the NFL.

So what, Gibbs told the truth. Cowboys fans, in general ARE the uglyest people on the planet Earth, IMHO, also.
thegr8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005   #6
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

He was joking; I wasn't offended and it was intended for Skins fan day or whatever they call it.

I've always liked Coach Gibbs even though I don't like the Redskins.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005   #7
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Spurrier won a game against us. The streak is not going on 15 games.

I thought it was pretty funny as well. Just another example of why this is a top 3 rivalry in the NFL.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-07-2005   #8
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been to plenty of Skins-Cowboys games although I have never been to D.C. for one and I would have liked that because of the fans and atmosphere.

Both teams get more hyped up and the atmosphere is just different. Great rivalry and Coach Gibbs is a great coach.
Old 08-08-2005   #9
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

I am geussing the Dallas cheerleaders would take offense to such a comment as I am sure they are fans of the Cowboys. Besides what team has fat, hairy guys putting on makeup and dresses? I would figure that would be the definition of an ugly fan? Maybe I am wrong.
Old 08-08-2005   #10
WWJD
Hall of Fame

You know I hope the Skins always have those Hog fans...they're the funniest thing I've ever seen and for a man to do that; dress like that takes nerve. I would agree though. They're plenty ugly. But surely funny!
Old 08-08-2005   #11
HowBoutThemCowboys!
All Pro

Rep Power: 30 HowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performer

Even his jokes are old and outdated, just like his coaching skills.

Gibbs at Fan Appreciation Day Calling Cowboy fans ugly:

Old 08-08-2005   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47040 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Gibbs WAS a GREAT coach, but that was then this is now. he has done NOTHING so far to prove he IS a GREAT coach NOW! hence its no time to be making jokes like that to Parcells who still IS a GREAT coach and the Cowboy organization that has zero respect for Gibbs team (Redskins).
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005   #13
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Ironically, you can say a lot of negative things about people from Dallas, but ugly is one that doesn't fly. Texas women are some of the best looking in the world.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005   #14
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
Ironically, you can say a lot of negative things about people from Dallas, but ugly is one that doesn't fly. Texas women are some of the best looking in the world.
Was he saying their appearance's are ugly, or their personalities?
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005   #15
z0rpAn
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to z0rpAn Send a message via MSN to z0rpAn Send a message via Yahoo to z0rpAn

I'd assume he was meaning personalities, but knowing most anyone these days, they probably thought it was about their looks...
z0rpAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005   #16
DFAN
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0rpAn
I'd assume he was meaning personalities, but knowing most anyone these days, they probably thought it was about their looks...

No, he was talking about thier looks but still it was a freaking joke. It amazes me how much people where thier feelings on their shoulders now days.
Old 08-08-2005   #17
DFAN
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8fan
you know it's August when the Cowboys are bragging about beating someone up 'X' amount of times in a row. Even if that someone is the 'red headed stepchild' of the NFL.

So what, Gibbs told the truth. Cowboys fans, in general ARE the uglyest people on the planet Earth, IMHO, also.

Ouch that hurt man. You know I'm a great looking guy gr8. It's not a bad thing for a guy to admit another is a good looking guy so let everyone know you wasnt including me in that statement.

Hows the family buddy!!!
Old 08-08-2005   #18
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I am geussing the Dallas cheerleaders would take offense to such a comment as I am sure they are fans of the Cowboys.
Nah....they are all closet Texans fans.
Old 08-08-2005   #19
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Joe Gibbs didn't just suddenly get stupid about football...he's still a great coach and I can't stand the Redskins. I've always liked him though.

I don't have a problem with his joke. I think he probably realized it wasn't "politically correct" though and apologized. People do have very thin skin about these type of comments.
Old 08-08-2005   #20
HowBoutThemCowboys!
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8fan

Yeah I'll being up our recored with the Skins. We swept them last season and the season before. He shouldn't talk the talk if he can't walk the walk. I was exaggerating when I said we beat them 15 times in a row, it's more like 9 out of 10 or something.

So if Coach Jack Del Rio called Houston Texan fans ugly, you wouldn't see one Texan fan bring up last season's games?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read