Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 08-06-2005   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texas opens at #2 in coaches preseason polls

Quote:
Longhorns at No. 2 in first coaches' poll
By JOSEPH DUARTE
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Two-time defending national champion Southern California was a near-unanimous No. 1 choice in the preseason USA Today coaches' poll released Friday, while Texas will start the season at No. 2.

The Trojans, coming off a perfect 13-0 season and 55-19 dismantling of Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl, received 60 of 62 first-place votes and 1,547 points in balloting of Division I coaches. Texas received the remaining first-place votes and 1,405 points.
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3298714
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005   #2
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Okay, Texas getting one vote is understandable (Mack Brown with the homer pick). But who's the other dummy that gave them a vote over USC?
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005   #3
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 657 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Lloyd Carr?
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005   #4
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 25169 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Can you even vote for your own team??? Even so... Texas is OBVIOUSLY getting alot of respect by getting voted overall # 2 by the best college coaches in the country.

Can't overlook that.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005   #5
TexansCanes
All Pro

no real suprise, someone had to be number two. their are no fewer than 4 teeams that could be #2 and ut got it. i don't know how you don't vote for usc, that shows you what is wrong with the polls. preseason polls only give good teams from last year an advantage over teams that will improve from last year.
Old 08-06-2005   #6
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Lloyd Carr?
That's who I was thinking as well.
Old 08-06-2005   #7
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 25169 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansCanes
no real suprise, someone had to be number two. their are no fewer than 4 teeams that could be #2 and ut got it. i don't know how you don't vote for usc, that shows you what is wrong with the polls. preseason polls only give good teams from last year an advantage over teams that will improve from last year.
Well... considering there hasnt been a game played yet this season that makes sense. You can't really vote for teams who are going to improve from last year because they havent done it yet.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-06-2005   #8
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33 kbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Lloyd Carr?
Classic!!!! *lmao*
Old 08-06-2005   #9
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33 kbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that is much too high for them. I thought they would be at least 5 or 6.
Old 08-09-2005   #10
Haams
All Pro

This is our year, I'd have voted them number #1 ('cause that's my team). After that performance by Vince last year and his grand finale at the Rose Bowl I'm beginning to feel he's truly in-VINCE-ble. Mack can't force him to be conservative either. Also, mark my words - Jordan Shipley is going to make a huge impact and be our go to reciever by the end of the season.
Haams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005   #11
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I think the fact that we play a top team (Ohio State) before OU, will help us get over the hump in Dallas. Don't overlook the Aggies this year though.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005   #12
Huge
Hall of Fame

I think they lose two games:

Ohio State and A&M.

But with just one conference loss, that will still get them into the Big12 championship game where they will undoubtedly squash the north champ. Then head to the Fiesta to represent the Big12 in the BCS.

I do not see a MNC for them this year (or even playing for it). Conference champions first, worry about the MNC in '06.
Old 08-09-2005   #13
Panther5407
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haams
This is our year, I'd have voted them number #1 ('cause that's my team). After that performance by Vince last year and his grand finale at the Rose Bowl I'm beginning to feel he's truly in-VINCE-ble. Mack can't force him to be conservative either. Also, mark my words - Jordan Shipley is going to make a huge impact and be our go to reciever by the end of the season.
I'll start believing the whole its our year thing when it happens. I hear it every year.
Old 08-09-2005   #14
TexansCanes
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate
Well... considering there hasnt been a game played yet this season that makes sense. You can't really vote for teams who are going to improve from last year because they havent done it yet.
well that is why their are problems with the polls. last year should have no bearing on how you do this year. the bcs finally did something right by having the new poll come out a month into the season.
Old 08-10-2005   #15
Haams
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther5407
I'll start believing the whole its our year thing when it happens. I hear it every year.
Me too, but I haven't said it since mack "the genius" decided to bench the defending big 12 offensive player of the year. I know it's a long time to hold grudge, but national championships don't come around every day and that cost us one. This year, though, I feel the team has a different attitude, a different style leader, and something to prove. It's been years but I'm happy to be back on the bandwagon. This is our year.

I wanted to include this tight video clip that would have y'all drooling for Texas football, but I'm too computer illiterate. You can find it at www.jcdenton40.com - the Texas Football 2005 preview. The only way I can find to play it is to download it, but I guarantee you'll love it.
Haams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005   #16
Huge
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haams
Me too, but I haven't said it since mack "the genius" decided to bench the defending big 12 offensive player of the year. I know it's a long time to hold grudge, but national championships don't come around every day and that cost us one.
Oh boy...here we go.
Old 08-10-2005   #17
TexansCanes
All Pro

i wouldn't say it cost you one, it cost you a change to play miami in the rose bowl, which i don't think would have turned out any better for any other team.
Old 08-11-2005   #18
Huge
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
Okay, Texas getting one vote is understandable (Mack Brown with the homer pick). But who's the other dummy that gave them a vote over USC?
I'm finding out that:

1. You cannot vote for your own team (that leaves Mack out).
2. Gary Barnett was one of the coaches that voted Texas #1.
3. Second coach is still a mystery.
Old 08-11-2005   #19
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
I'm finding out that:

1. You cannot vote for your own team (that leaves Mack out).
2. Gary Barnett was one of the coaches that voted Texas #1.
3. Second coach is still a mystery.

Wouldnt that mean that Pete Caroll had to vote for Texas? If he cant vote for his own team???
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005   #20
Huge
Hall of Fame

Holy cow. Sometimes it's so obvious you can't see it.

Good work.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read