Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-02-2005   #1
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Thumbs down Wand May have already lost his job

Quote:
HoustonProFootball.com

Free agent signee Victor Riley saw the majority of snaps at left tackle with the first team offensive line during Monday's evening workout. Incumbent starter Seth Wand worked mostly with the second unit. Riley, a right tackle for nearly all of his pro career, struggled at times pass blocking, but showed off his brute strength when the offense ran the ball.
HoustonProFootball.com

According to these guys, after only a few days in camp, Victor Riley is already practiccing with the first thing. I for one think that this is a good thing, not just for the Texans but for Seth Wand, who needs a to play with a little more passion and intensity if you ask me. Now if Wand gets his spot back, or if Riley messes up and loses it, then I bet Wand will have some initiative not to lose it again. Competition always brings out the best in players.
Old 08-02-2005   #2
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I think you are partly right about lighting a fire underhim, yet I do think the Texans are working with everyone at different positions (starting/nonstarting) to give them reps (in case of someone going down to injury)

But as of now seems LT is a place that noone has come and established themselves,which is unfortuante
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005   #3
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

not sure if it's a good thing if he does loose the starting job to riley...the article states that while riley is almost like a bully in run blocking he is lacking at pass protection which is what we need the most out of that LT position...on the other hand if riley wins the starting job it leaves us with out a shadow of a doubt who our number 1 draft pick will be next year
Old 08-02-2005   #4
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I seriously doubt that Wand has "already lost his job" given Riley's performance when given the chance.

I think a lot of this competition for the LT spot is geared around the coaches trying to fire Wand up. Problem is, some players don't respond to those tactics. Some people respond to insults and screaming, others respond to teaching and they quietly try to improve. This is what's been said about Wand the last couple of years, always praising his work ethic, etc.

Judging from the posts on other threads on this board Wand had a great day yesterday. Then the coaches put Riley in with the first team to get smoked. That's not the way I'd build a young player's confidence. I trust the coaches know what they are doing; they certainly know the game better than me.

I guess the question is if Wand is the type of player who will ever do a lot of screaming, trash talking, and fist pumping. Is that what the coaches want? Does he need to be? Will that fix all the problems in the O-line?

Andre Johnson is arguably the quietest guy on the team. Does he need to get fired up? Travis Johnson looks like he'll be fiery. So is Peek. To each his own.

I am a big fan of the San Antonio Spurs, so I'm used to seeing people mistaking professionalism for a lack of passion and softness. Watch Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett play. Garnett sure is a fist pumping trash talker. Duncan is the polar opposite. Duncan has 2 Regular Season MVPs, 3 Finals MVPs, and 3 Championship rings. Garnett has an MVP and one playoff series win. I think Spurs fans are satisfied with the quiet Duncan.

These players/sports aren't an apples to apples comparison, but I think you get my drift.

Last edited by Runner; 08-02-2005 at 10:23 PM.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005   #5
TexasAggie
Rookie

I Followed The Saints Alot Before The Texans Became The Texans And Imo Riley Will Disappear About Halfway Through The Season If Not Sooner. If He Starts We All Will Have To Hold Our Breath!!!
TexasAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005   #6
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
Andre Johnson is arguably the quietest guy on the team. Does he need to get fired up?
Just because AJ isn't vocal doesn't mean that he lacks attitude, because he
is a very physical, very aggressive football player, especially for a WR. No,
AJ may not be a talker, but watch his body lanquage as its full of bravado
and in his own non-vocal manner he's very fiery and intense.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005   #7
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Exactly. Everybody has their own personality and style.
Sponsored links
Old 08-02-2005   #8
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
Just because AJ isn't vocal doesn't mean that he lacks attitude, because he
is a very physical, very aggressive football player, especially for a WR. No,
AJ may not be a talker, but watch his body lanquage as its full of bravado
and in his own non-vocal manner he's very fiery and intense.
First of all, if you havent heard, AJ is a beast incetween the wistles. When on the field he is very agressive and physical, even if he wasnt, hes a WR not aLT. You have to be mean to play O-line not catch the ball.
Old 08-02-2005   #9
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3215 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected

From what I've seen at the practices, Riley looks out of shape and constantly bullied by the d-line. Lets hope this is just to improve Wand's motivation/intensity.
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005   #10
stephen1
Veteran

if wand loses his job to victor riley, ill come to a game in a dress and heels
stephen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005   #11
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
if wand loses his job to victor riley, ill come to a game in a dress and heels
You might want to start scoping out your woman's wardrobe for extra style points. According to John Lopez today on SR610, the whispers around camp are that it's Riley's job to lose. Now, it's a long way to the season yet, but that would make me a little uncomfortable about betting on Wand at this point.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005   #12
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 42947 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Didnt Riley give up 16 sacks last season?
TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005   #13
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED
Didnt Riley give up 16 sacks last season?
I don't think Riley is the answer. I do think the coaches have gotten past "lighting a fire under Wand" and progressed to undermining his confidence and his standing with his teammates. Hard to understand their point when he isn't even the worst lineman in the starting five, just the least experienced.

At some time they are going to have to get past missing out on big name free agents, realize that the players adding depth behind Wand are not better than him, and work to make the best left tackle they have on the roster better.
Old 08-04-2005   #14
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

If nothing else, Riley is an upgrade from Marcus Spears as our LT backup.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005   #15
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
If nothing else, Riley is an upgrade from Marcus Spears as our LT backup.
I agree with that.
Old 08-04-2005   #16
Vambo, the Marble Eye
Veteran

Guys,

My guess is that Wand's got the job... when I think about it like the manager of business where you had people issues.

Riley is practicing to learn a new system to play backup until he can challege for the job. In Pro Football that would be by;

aa) wand screwing up so bad that a cardboard "picture of a LT" would be better... so putting Riley with at least some serious time in the position during training camp would be feasible

bb) wand gets hurt... got to put somebody in

cc) if we are bitching about Wand AND Riley next year... then, we either draft somebody else... or break out the bank role for a Pace level free agent.

Granted.. pre-season will be the limitus test and that is coming in less than two weeks.

Old 08-04-2005   #17
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

Does it worry anyone else that here we are in training camp and we are switching back and forth with our LT?

Now I know the argument that some of you will say: "It's training camp, that's where positions are fought!" Normally I would agree with this statement, however, the LT position has never been set since day 1 of this franchise. The fact that here we are getting ready to begin season 4, and nothing has still been solidified, only makes me think the coaches are worried too. How many years have we now heard "We are just trying to find the combination of the best 5 guys to have on the field."

In this quote doesn't make me feel any better:
Riley, a right tackle for nearly all of his pro career, struggled at times pass blocking, but showed off his brute strength when the offense ran the ball.

houstonprofootball.com

This is the same problem Wand has! This is the problem we are trying to fix. We are ok with the run, we are horrible with the pass.

Our LT position has quickly become our Achilles Heel.
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005   #18
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

I hear yah Texans Pride - The LT on the O-line Bah just seems like its a MOOt point and an obvious one from my PoV. Ive been beating this darn horse this whole off-season .

If nothing else we should have a good running team again - Hopefully we will run it well enough that David will get some time to go downfield with the ball. Just a few more sessions and were into the pre-show countdown for the season.

Cant wait for the Texans/Cowboys game. I will be tripping it up to Big D for this one. IMO think that game will be the measuring stick for us as a team and will show a bit more of who and where our starters for the season will be at every position.
Old 08-04-2005   #19
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Pride
Does it worry anyone else that here we are in training camp and we are switching back and forth with our LT?
I honestly think LT will still be a problem for us. I think we will be forced to use our 1st round pick in 2006 on a LT (and perhaps more if we need to trade up to get the one we want).
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005   #20
stephen1
Veteran

Their saying riley is a good run blocker and a bad pass blocker. Thats the same problem wand has and if they both struggle in the same area you might as well play the guy who already knows the scheme.
stephen1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read