Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-04-2005   #21
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc
That's my concern. So many people bash on Carr like he needs to make progress, but psycholoically, I don't see how he can get much better when he knows he has time to read to AJ and then dump off. Even on the plays where he does have time, he's probably so spooked, he doesn't react well.
The new diversified offense should help Carr too. Our seven step drops and long routes have become too predictable. We should be able to get the ball into more players' hands with these quick timing routes.

It should also be an opportunity to get Andre the ball more and let him make plays. Three step drops and quick slants to Andre - reminiscent of Jerry Rice as a 49er.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005   #22
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

These are the best LT i know

D'Brickashaw Ferguson - Virginia
Offensive Tackle
6-5 295 Sr
Eric Winston - Miami Hurricanes
Offensive Tackle
6-7 310 Jr
Jonathan Scott - Texas
Offensive Tackle
6-7 ∑ 310 ∑ Sr
Marcus McNeill -Auburn
Offensive Tackle
6-9 337 Sr.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005   #23
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
What I am reading is defense has the edge against the OL. I was reading about Weary getting beat by TJ or wand/riley getting beat by Peek/anderson etc.

well the good thing is that OL has some fllm to watch and learn..
ive heard alot of good things about charlie anderson. and peek....

does our o-line suck, or is our pass rush so damn good?? lol
Old 08-05-2005   #24
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm startin to feel sorry for poor ole Seth Wand, he justed got trashed on Channel 13, again ! This time rook TJ made him look like a fool like Peek did
the other day on some video 13 played. But what was different on this incident, Seth was out there explain & apologizen to 13 about screwin up.
You know how the media likes to shape opinion - I'm thinkin channel 13 will be getting one of those polls before long where they ask who should be the LT: (A) Wand (B) should it be Riley (C) should it be Pitts,(D) or another ? But before I let 13 get its way, I want to see atleast a couple of preseason games with all the principals on display befor I make up my mind.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005   #25
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
I'm startin to feel sorry for poor ole Seth Wand, he justed got trashed on Channel 13, again ! This time rook TJ made him look like a fool like Peek did
the other day on some video 13 played. But what was different on this incident, Seth was out there explain & apologizen to 13 about screwin up.
You know how the media likes to shape opinion - I'm thinkin channel 13 will be getting one of those polls before long where they ask who should be the LT: (A) Wand (B) should it be Riley (C) should it be Pitts,(D) or another ? But before I let 13 get its way, I want to see atleast a couple of preseason games with all the principals on display befor I make up my mind.

Too bad it doesn't make interesting TV the other 20 plays when Wand blocks the rusher. People are getting the impression he gets run over every play. Talk about misleading public opinion.

Peek is awfully darn quick though. Reminds me of a certain Mr. Freeney. Anybody think that they have Wand playing with the second team just so he can go against Peek?
Old 08-05-2005   #26
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
Anybody think that they have Wand playing with the second team just so he can go against Peek?
Wand has been going against Peek (they are both first team, Capers is experimenting with Riley on first team every now and then) in training camp, and Wand held his own on Monday's practice against both Antwan and Robaire.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005   #27
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

From what I understand they have Wand with the first team most of the day and then Riley with the 4 other starting lineman during the full team drills. These drills have the first team offense going against the second team defense and vice versa. Wand is still #1 on the depth chart.
Sponsored links
Old 08-06-2005   #28
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

If you go listen to the John McClain show you will get some interesting comments. For one, he believes Pitts is going to be left guard and that's where he's going to remain, because they think he can be all pro at that position and they like Pitts personally. Number 2 is that Seth Wand went to Capers and asked what he's doing wrong and what does he need to correct inorder to do his job at LT. Number 3 is that McClain says Wand is a good guy that you would like to see make this team. Finally, McClain says he has no idea what this team is going to do this year and it will be hard to judge until they start playing for real. Oh, bye the way, he does like Mathis.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005   #29
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

McClain has said the Texans are his beat this year and it sounds like he's spending a lot of time there. Justice intimated that McClain had been there all week. I don't always agree with McClain, but you certainly have to respect what you hear from him. I think his shows this year could prove to be invalueable to those who would like to judge what is happening in camp. At the present time he simply seems to be unwilling to give an assessment of where the team stands, but he at least seems to be somewhat upbeat over previous years statements at this time of the year.
Old 08-06-2005   #30
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddy
I would rather read labels on cans of dog food than read their
know it all junk... If I couldn't pick winners better than John
I would have to find a job, and quit gambling. Ain't going to
happen.
Perhaps, but its a sign that people are having higher expectations. The Chronicle is assigning their key person to the Texans and he is spending time there. Each of us will read and hear what we want from this source, but at least we will perhaps have an opportunity to pick up more information than before.
Old 08-07-2005   #31
buddyroe
Rookie

Last year the Texans changed from man blocking
to zone blocking and there where blown assignments,
coupled with injuries they looked pretty bad as a whole.
With a year under their belt in the new system and
good health they should be greatly improved.
buddyroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005   #32
stephen1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyroe
Last year the Texans changed from man blocking
to zone blocking and there where blown assignments,
coupled with injuries they looked pretty bad as a whole.
With a year under their belt in the new system and
good health they should be greatly improved.
i agree with you. i think the line will know where each one of them is and have a better pickup of blitzes and d-line switches. i also think they are playing with a chip on their shoulders because of all the negative media and fan comments about them.
stephen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005   #33
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Here in the next few weeks we are going to get some real evidence on the
evolution of Seth Wand in the NFL and where he's at at this point in time
so we (we to include the Texans' coaches) can make a decision about his
chances of suceeding as our teams LT this year. But one thing that really
bothers me about him is that I have doubts about his basic physical strength.
If you recall, at the combine he could not even knock out 20 reps in the 225 lb press which is a level that many much smaller players can reach.
The Texans acknowledged that his strength was lacking but said that weight
room routines would take care of all that. Well, here it is more than 2 years after he was drafted, and there may still be strength issues because I still see incidents of Wand getting overpowered in one-on-one blocking drills with defensive players.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005   #34
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddy
I would rather read labels on cans of dog food than read their
know it all junk... If I couldn't pick winners better than John I would have to find a job, and quit gambling. Ain't going to happen.
McClain wouldn't be a good gambler.

However, he is one of the best football writers in the country and having him as the Texans beat writer means that we will be getting a lot more information on the Texans and their opponents than we have been getting in the past. I think the Chronicle is responding to our complaints that the Texans weren't getting enough coverage by moving McClain to cover the Texans instead of the NFL as a whole.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005   #35
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle-O-Bud
This line comming into our 4th season is shaping up to be a huge disaster. Capers might get fired if we finish below 7 wins this season.
I don't think Capers would get fired. Now Palmer on the other hand probably would. Capers doesn't know offense like he does defense so his OC is on an island and needs to be creative and design plays that will work with the personel that we have. The guy I would love to see get promoted within the organization is Hoke. I'd like to see be our DC someday if nobody steals him before then.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005   #36
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

The latest quote from Carr on the O-Line:

(On getting hit less this year compared to last year) ďYeah, I think that itís just a matter of what Iíve seen so far in practice. Usually, we have three guys running through or we have guys that arenít accounted for because the protection is asked to be helped to long or just one of those reasons. I think we havenít had nearly as much as we had last season.Ē
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005   #37
buddyroe
Rookie

Carr was saying defenders aren't breaking free this year like
they have in the past.I think if we can cut the sacks in half
(from 49 down to 24)the offense will excel.I expect a break
out season for Carr (25-30 TD passes) and the offense as
a whole.
Our Dline is looking good this year also.If Robaire Smith stays
healthy and Travis Johnson is as good as I believe he is we
will get more than enough pressure on the QB and allow our
safeties and linebackers to run free and make plays.

Super Bowl XL Houston 27 Carolina 10
buddyroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005   #38
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3215 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected

Victor Riley scares me...

"As an offensive lineman, (allowing) anywhere between 15 to 20 sacks is a good number," Riley said. link

if thats 'good numbers', then if each of our linemen allow 15 sacks Carr should expect to be on his *** 75 times.

Quote:
"He who makes a beast out of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Samuel Johnson
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005   #39
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

.... I think he meant total....like the whole line.

at least i pray to god that that is the case.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005   #40
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

listening to Casserly it sounds like both Wand & Riley are having themselves a good camp, he specificly stated that Riley has exceeded expectations & can play RT if needed (remember last year when Wade was hurt?). overall the offensive line should be improved both in talent, experience and depth.

the defense sounds as if its just going to crush
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read