Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-02-2005   #1
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

Default How is OL doing

I hear Capers say good things, I hear OL coach saying it is improving, but hear posters who were there Saturday that OL stunk. So which is it they are improving or they are not improving. Thanks
BigDTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005   #2
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

OL was bad on Saturday, but better on Monday.

Wand held his own against Peek and Robaire last night pretty well, even to the point where the line coach was praising him.

Victor Riley still needs to work...alot. I'd be scared if he was our left tackle.

Todd Wade looked average.

Zach Weigert looked pretty good, held his own against a couple of linemen on the one on one drills.

McKinney was up and down at times. Hodgdon has a lot to learn as well, and it looked like the line coach was working on the basics with him.

Fred Weary was toasted repeatedly last night by Travis Johnson.

Todd Washington looked pretty impressive last night.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005   #3
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

What I am reading is defense has the edge against the OL. I was reading about Weary getting beat by TJ or wand/riley getting beat by Peek/anderson etc.

well the good thing is that OL has some fllm to watch and learn..
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005   #4
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

According to Keith over at HPF.com, Riley replaced Wand last night as the 1st team LT and did a good job in run-blocking but wasn't too good in pass protection...This is definitely disheartening to me because I was hoping Wand would solidify LT this year, but there's still time...Maybe the temporary(?) demotion will light a fire under him...
D-ReK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005   #5
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK
According to Keith over at HPF.com, Riley replaced Wand last night as the 1st team LT and did a good job in run-blocking but wasn't too good in pass protection...This is definitely disheartening to me because I was hoping Wand would solidify LT this year, but there's still time...Maybe the temporary(?) demotion will light a fire under him...
I attended practice last night and Wand played well against all comers as far as I could tell as contrasted to an embarassing play captured on tape and repeated by local channels from the previous practice where Peek put a Bull Rush on him and knocked him, and knocked him backwards and flat on his butt. But from what I could see, Wand redeemed himself last night.
While a strong run blocker, all indications are Riley just doesn't have the skills
to be an adequate pass blocker and be our LT. If we don't go with Wand,
FWIT I think Chester P. would be our one and only Plan B for LT, atleast this year.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005   #6
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

I was sitting with Keith when we both saw Peek spin past Riley late in team drills as if his feet were in wet cement. Can't blame Riley too much because he's not a left tackle. What should be worrisome to everyone is that the Texans are rolling him out there to compete for the starting job in the first place. It looks like he can bulldozer but don't ask him to backpedal. He's an older version of Greg Randall. Riley appears to guess at which move will confront him next. Not a good thing for the QB.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005   #7
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
He's an older version of Greg Randall. Riley appears to guess at which move will confront him next. Not a good thing for the QB.

:brickwall At the thought of another Greg Randall on the line.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-02-2005   #8
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

that's why i think they'll end up having wand as the starter just to see if the tackle position is surely what we need to target in the first round of next year's draft
Old 08-02-2005   #9
jmantexfan
Rookie

If Chester were to take the starting LT spot, who would be our best option at guard, and would it even be good enough?
jmantexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005   #10
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmantexfan
If Chester were to take the starting LT spot, who would be our best option at guard, and would it even be good enough?
That's the key question. The answer is probably no. That's why I expect to see the status quo on the o-line at season start.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005   #11
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmantexfan

Hear Hogsdon is a natural Guard/Center move him to Center let McKinney sit down
BigDTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005   #12
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDTexansFan
let McKinney sit down

best idea ive heard yet .

Im not looking forward to seeing DC again this season .

If I were DC .... i'd hold out for better a better O-Line !
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005   #13
TexansR#1
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to TexansR#1 Send a message via Yahoo to TexansR#1

Heres what I think we should do for the line if we move them. Move Pitts to left tackle ... move mckinney to left guard ... and washington to center
TexansR#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005   #14
sulli60
Rookie

Its too bad the center is considered the quarterback of the O-Line it would be a perfect place for a bulldozing run blocker like Riley. It has to be next to impossible to be offsides when your snapping the ball. He'd probably hit his belly with the ball everytime he tried to snap it too.
sulli60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005   #15
geebrr
Rookie

How does Garrick Jones look?
geebrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 158703 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulli60
Its too bad the center is considered the quarterback of the O-Line it would be a perfect place for a bulldozing run blocker like Riley. It has to be next to impossible to be offsides when your snapping the ball. He'd probably hit his belly with the ball everytime he tried to snap it too.
You don't see quite as many big fat guys at Center as you will at Guard. Smaller (if you can call it that) guys are able to hike the ball and come off their blocks better than big overstuffed linemen types. I wouldn't read to much into the camp O-line battles until we go full live contact. Lineplay is about contact and how you deal with it. Obviously, feet are important, but we will see Wand's progress or lack of progress once Denver comes to town.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005   #17
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Obviously, feet are important, but we will see Wand's progress or lack of progress once Denver comes to town.
How did Wand look last preseason? I don't remember much of the preseason talk.
Old 08-03-2005   #18
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

well keep in mind that by the end of last season pitts was really coming into his own...i truely believe that pitts can be pro bowl material in a couple of seasons at guard not tackle...and vinny hit the verbial nail on the head with the comment on centers needing quick feet...that's why we draft hodgdon...once the kid gets the mental part of the game down he will be our starter at center for the next 7-10 years...i think this guy with pitts is gonna be something really good for us for years to come
Old 08-03-2005   #19
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

If our line has another bad year.. its time to spend the bucks in FA and get some players on it.

Im all for giving them another shot.. but I dunno if Carr will recover from another bad year.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005   #20
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 222419 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Im all for giving them another shot.. but I dunno if Carr will recover from another bad year.
That's my concern. So many people bash on Carr like he needs to make progress, but psycholoically, I don't see how he can get much better when he knows he has time to read to AJ and then dump off. Even on the plays where he does have time, he's probably so spooked, he doesn't react well.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read