Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-02-2005   #21
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 53272 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

mathis sounds impressive.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005   #22
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3261 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Heard last night on 610am that Robaire Smith was lining up in the Houston offensive backfield in goal-line situations.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005   #23
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3791 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
Heard last night on 610am that Robaire Smith was lining up in the Houston offensive backfield in goal-line situations.
Quote:
Aug. 4, 2005, 10:32PM
Texans Notebook
Monster Backs

Quarterback David Carr likes the idea of having 300-pound defensive lineman Robaire Smith lining up at fullback in short-yardage and goal-line situations.

"Robaire's scary," Carr said after Thursday's practice. "He's like a train wreck. He was right behind me when we ran a play earlier, and I thought he was going to run me over. I've never seen a fullback that size."

Smith and inside linebacker DeShon Polk lined up in the backfield. Inside linebacker Kailee Wong played tight end.

"If they want to come over and play with us, as long as they know what they're doing, I think it's good," Carr said. "If you have athletes like that who can go both ways and block and hit, you've got to use them.

"You can only dress a certain number of players, so I guess that's where a lot of teams get stuck and try to use different guys. So why not?"

link
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005   #24
stephen1
Veteran

were turning into the patriots which is not a bad thing at all
stephen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005   #25
Lauren
Nom Nom Nom

Rep Power: 30808 Lauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respected

This is TEXANS84--

On ABC13 Seth Wand got laid flat on his back by Travis Johnson on the 9 on 7 drills. It looked like a bad angle/off balace that Seth had, but Travis made him look real bad.

Good news for the D-line, bad news for the offensive line.
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005   #26
FILO_girl
I'm not here

Rep Power: 62 FILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren
This is TEXANS84--

On ABC13 Seth Wand got laid flat on his back by Travis Johnson on the 9 on 7 drills. It looked like a bad angle/off balace that Seth had, but Travis made him look real bad.

Good news for the D-line, bad news for the offensive line.
Again? Wand was mowed over on Saturday, hope this isn't a trend.

Last edited by FILO_girl; 08-05-2005 at 07:44 PM.
FILO_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005   #27
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29597 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Good news for the O line would be for Wand to get replaced by SOMEONE!! Maybe Riley will step in and get the job done. If not, Carr will be running for his life!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-05-2005   #28
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 657 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Double dip
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005   #29
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 657 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

We are screwed at left tackle.

Carter probably wouldn't let me get away with that on the Voice so there you have it.
Old 08-05-2005   #30
tiger06
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Yeah, I think it's clear what we'll be looking at on draft day 2006.
tiger06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005   #31
FILO_girl
I'm not here

Rep Power: 62 FILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.

Carter probably wouldn't let me get away with that on the Voice so there you have it.
Call 'em as you see 'em, aj. Alot of us share that same sentiment.
FILO_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005   #32
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 711 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

If it makes anyone feel better, theoretically the line should only be better than last season. I'm not saying they'll be good, but some degree of improvement is something I hope we can expect.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005   #33
aj.
Hall of Fame

What could save them is if this line can dominate in the running game to take some of the pressure off Carr. I know that's their plan and it's been talked about constantly but that need has never been clearer. They were good last year but they need to get better in order to reduce the number of obvious pass situations. That plus a lot of help from a TE or fullback. Body language tells me Wand's confidence is shot. I hope he can get over the hump and put it back together.

Last edited by aj.; 08-05-2005 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-05-2005   #34
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
What could save them is if this line can dominate in the running game to take some of the pressure off Carr. I know that's their plan and it's been talked about constantly but that need has never been clearer. They were good last year but they need to get better in order to reduce the number of obvious pass situations. That plus a lot of help from a TE or fullback. Body language tells me Wand's confidence is shot. I hope he can get over the hump and put it back together.
That or have every pass play be a rollout to the right.
Old 08-05-2005   #35
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Actually I like what I hear out of TC, becuase our defensive line is making the O-line look bad. That's good, because in previous years that wasn't happening and we know how our defensive line, as well as, our O-line was doing. Sounds like our D-line and players are getting better and will put pressure on the opposition this year. They inturn our doing a number on the O-line and that will allow the O-line to get better. If you don't know what you are doing wrong, you can't get better. At least they don't have the false comfort level of the past thinking the O-line is just spiffy when it wasn't. I'd rather have the O-line knocked around in practice than when the season begins. At least now they have a shot at fixing it and figuring out what they need to do to do so.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005   #36
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
What could save them is if this line can dominate in the running game to take some of the pressure off Carr.
No OL is good enough to constantly move the chains in the first 2 downs.
The best of lines will always leave the offense in long and third situations from time to time, and we definitly don't have the best of lines. There's just no way of getting around it, all OLs have to be able to pass block.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005   #37
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILO_girl
Again? Wand was mowed over on Saturday, hope this isn't a trend.

Let's say this:

Wand takes a rusher in pass protection - say Peek. Wand takes Peek's outside speed rush and pushes him past the QB and the QB is able to throw.

Two pratices later, another lineman, say Riley, takes Peek's speed rush and pushes him past the QB, who is able to throw.

Does it get shown on the news? No. It isn't exciting the many times the blocker is successful.

Do we say "Peek got stopped twice - hope this isn't a trend?" I doubt it.

We're pretty hyper-critical here without putting things in context. Maybe it's just because LT is the only position being contested in most people's view.

These replace "the left tackle and everything will be fine posts" don't really address the problem. The whole line needs to improve. If we had Orlando Pace playing LT last year that would have done nothing to stop the constant pressure that Carr faced up the middle. McKinney was no better than Wand; an injured Weigert was no better than Wand either. Last year there was more consistent pressure up the middle then there was from the left. And Wand almost always was matched up one-on-one against the other team's best rusher. The inside of the line at least had the opportuniy for more double teams.

There is no "replace one player" quick fix available.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read