Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-04-2005   #21
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

ok i am a HUGE peek fan and i really hope he does well. but in the off chance that he struggles, i hope that kenneth pettway gets a shot. he's big, strong, was a DE in college, and he has 4.6 speed.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005   #22
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Anderson is way ahead of Pettway. Pettway is another player who is pretty much a 3 year project as Peek as been.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005   #23
TexFanWV
Rookie

Good ole' PEEK. I knew Peek in college and now just like in those days he shows unbelievable atheltic ability and talent. Question is, will he use it to the best of his ability. No questions about his intensity but he has to keep his head on. After all LB is a thinkin man's job. I look forward to watching his success.
TexFanWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005   #24
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope Peek has learned to keep the throttle opened up after the snap and doesn't fall into that nonsense so many D guys do of celebrating a tackle before the ball carrier is even on the ground. Sure sounds like he's gonna be the "leader" that Sharper and Foreman was looking around for.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005   #25
stephen1
Veteran

the most important thing for peek is to get off to a good start and gain some confidence that he can be a full time starter. most people are saying how he needs to work on pass coverage but i think he needs to work of stuffing the run, even though thats not an OLB's main job. He only has 20 carrer tackles which is not acceptable for a starting linebacker.
stephen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005   #26
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

the good thing about peek starting that right OLB spot is that he's got dunta playing the right CB spot. Dunta has shown he's a good run stopper for a CB, so i'm not worried about peek getting burned too much. sure its gonna happen, but dunta will make anybody peek misses pay.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005   #27
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He only has 20 carrer tackles which is not acceptable for a starting linebacker.
Peek hasn't been a starting LB. He's started 4 or 5 games total and has 35 tackles (NFL.com). He's playing a completely different position than he had ever before. Most of those starts were as a rookie when Clemons was injured. We had a lot of injuries on the DL that season including Walker and Payne. Can't expect too much from him that rookie year. Last season he was used as a pass rusher and I believe only started once.

Year 3 is when OLB in the 3-4 are supposed to "get it" and begin to become effective.

not saying he doesn't have a lot of stuff to work on but using his tackle count as ammo against him isn't really fair IMO.
Old 08-05-2005   #28
stephen1
Veteran

i just think they shouldnt throw a guy so unexperienced into the fray, but they dont have any other choice.
stephen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005   #29
jmantexfan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen1
i just think they shouldnt throw a guy so unexperienced into the fray, but they dont have any other choice.
he has been in the league 3 years now and in limited use , has shown that he can make crazy big plays. He has experience, and im sure that him practicing with the first team is giving him some extra experiece this TC. One moe thing. If you never start new and upcoming players on your team who show talent, ten years go by and he will never get the chance he deserves and people would say"hey, i wonder how good that guy could have been if he were a starter.
jmantexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005   #30
medalhunterman
Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to medalhunterman

I really think he's going to have a big year.
Old 08-06-2005   #31
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Anderson is way ahead of Pettway. Pettway is another player who is pretty much a 3 year project as Peek as been.
A lot of people said the same thing about Anderson at this time last year.

Anderson is one year ahead of Pettway. Last year at this time a lot of us saw Charlie in camp and compared him to Peek. This year in camp some of us took one look at Pettway and said, that guy has 3-4 OLB written all over him. He's done well dropping into coverage from what I've seen in drills. You really don't know how these guys are going to turn out until they line up in real game situations.

One thing Pettway has going against him is numbers, since the Texans drafted Peek, Babin, and Anderson in the two drafts before him. Those three are all obviously working out very well and will likely stay ahead of him on the depth chart for a while. Pettway is ahead of Acholonu and Cheatwood imo, so it will come down to special teams.

The Texans took 7 LBs into Week 1 last year. Babin, Wong, Greenwood, Peek, and Anderson are locks.

If they keep 7 again this year, that leaves two spots for Polk, Evans, Pettway, Acholonu, Cheatwood, Orr, Monk, Moreno, Chamberlain, et al.

I see Polk as #6 at the moment and they might want a guy who can play both inside and out for that 7th slot.

All this means is our depth at LB (among other positions) is the best it's ever been. Pettway could start the season on the practice squad but that wouldn't necessarily mean that he's that far behind a guy like Charlie Anderson.

Last edited by aj.; 08-06-2005 at 08:17 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005   #32
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

i think that pettway could possibly beat polk out. the texans might go for more youth like they have been so far.

here are the stats according to NFL Draft Scout:

DaShon Polk:
Combine Results Pro Day Results
Combine Invite? yes
Height: 6017
Weight: 233
40 Yrd Dash: 4.73
20 Yrd Dash: 2.75
10 Yrd Dash: 1.68
Wonderlic: 19
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 18
Vertical Jump: 32
Broad Jump: 9'3"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.45
3-Cone Drill: 7.43

Dates:
Height: 6017
Weight: 233
40 Yrd Dash:
20 Yrd Dash:
10 Yrd Dash:
225 Lb. Bench Reps:
Vertical Jump:
Broad Jump:
20 Yrd Shuttle:
3-Cone Drill:

Kenneth Pettway:
Combine Results Pro Day Results
Combine Invite? yes
Height: 6032
Weight: 234
40 Yrd Dash: 4.69
20 Yrd Dash: 2.79
10 Yrd Dash: 1.66
Wonderlic: 18
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 22
Vertical Jump: 32 1/2
Broad Jump: 9'6"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.36
3-Cone Drill: 7.29

Dates: 03/17/2005
Height: 6032
Weight: 234
40 Yrd Dash: 4.65
20 Yrd Dash:
10 Yrd Dash:
225 Lb. Bench Reps:
Vertical Jump: 35 1/2
Broad Jump: 9'6"
20 Yrd Shuttle:
3-Cone Drill:
Old 08-06-2005   #33
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

You have to think that Pettway and Cheat wood if he is eligible, will be on the practice squad. Which leaves me to believe that moreno and polk will make the team based on the fact that they have the most experience.
Old 08-07-2005   #34
rmartin65
I'm Score

but the texans have already favored youth over experience. pbuc over glenn, greenwood over sharper. im just curious.
Old 08-07-2005   #35
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65
but the texans have already favored youth over experience. pbuc over glenn, greenwood over sharper. im just curious.
They have favored players on the rise over players in decline.

Good point aj, but I'd still characterize Anderson quite a bit further along than Pettway in understanding the scheme and in their conversion to OLB from DE. I've been told that Anderson has an impressive understanding of what his assignments are and he is further along than Peek was at this time in his career.

Old 08-07-2005   #36
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Peek, Anderson, & Pettway - Antwaan only first day draft pick and a third rounder at that. Anderson and Pettway are 6th & 7th rounders respectively. Teams just don't need to burn high draft picks to get college DE/tweeners who are good material to play OLB in the 3-4.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005   #37
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Fact is the same for all the positions. Guys like Kendrell Bell and Derrick Thomas were first day picks as well. I could name a ton of first day tweeners if I took some time.

Old 08-07-2005   #38
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Good point aj, but I'd still characterize Anderson quite a bit further along than Pettway in understanding the scheme and in their conversion to OLB from DE.
Yeah, he's a year ahead of him as he should be. From what I've been told by people who are out there every day - and from what I've observed, Pettway is also showing the knack. His problem will be the lack of open roster spots ahead of him. Maybe your source and my source need to compare notes.
Old 08-07-2005   #39
Vinny
shiny happy fan

I don't know much on Pettway other than his athleticism (I'll take your word as per your view on him cause you have a good eye). I just know that Anderson has impressed in the classroom.

Old 08-07-2005   #40
aj.
Hall of Fame

Likewise, what I've seen is only a piece of my G2 on Pettway.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read