Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-27-2005   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default AH! Why are we just sitting here??

There are a lot of holes we still have to fill and we aren't filling them!
Examples:

We have no TE. Bubba Franks is a great, solid TE who is likely going to hold out. Why don't we make an offer?

We have no solid #2 receiver. Bradford is an underachiever, Gaffney and Mathis are both great #3s who have #2 potential (key word is potential). Why didn't we offer a trade for Gardner? I bet he went for a 4th or 5th round pick to Carolina. 3rd at the highest, and he would have been a HUGE addition. Why not make a move at Javon Walker. I know he's a #1 type, but the packers will get pissed off at him and maybe we could do something. Think of the difference it would make.

As I see it, there are some killer options still available, so why don't we make a huge boost to our offense instead of returning with the same, slightly above average unit we had last year. With a more consistent offense, think about how much better our defense would be!
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005   #2
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Who's to say that the Texans didn't pursue any of those players?
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005   #3
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
There are a lot of holes we still have to fill and we aren't filling them!
Examples:

We have no TE. Bubba Franks is a great, solid TE who is likely going to hold out. Why don't we make an offer?

We have no solid #2 receiver. Bradford is an underachiever, Gaffney and Mathis are both great #3s who have #2 potential (key word is potential). Why didn't we offer a trade for Gardner? I bet he went for a 4th or 5th round pick to Carolina. 3rd at the highest, and he would have been a HUGE addition. Why not make a move at Javon Walker. I know he's a #1 type, but the packers will get pissed off at him and maybe we could do something. Think of the difference it would make.

As I see it, there are some killer options still available, so why don't we make a huge boost to our offense instead of returning with the same, slightly above average unit we had last year. With a more consistent offense, think about how much better our defense would be!
Gardner?? He probably wouldn't have made it on our roster.
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

If we did pursue them, we didn't pursue hard enough. Gardner would get cut? What are you talking about? He's better than bradford, thats for sure. I just wish we could have made 1 solid improvement to our offense.
Old 07-27-2005   #5
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I wouldn't expect Walker or Franks to go to any other team. GB gave into a holdouts demands with Mike, but I doubt they have any interest in being held hostage by a couple of their players. Franks has mentioned he has no intention of leaving GB. Not sure what kind of shot we have at a player who has no intention of leaving. You really think Walker's going to want to go to a team where he'll have to be the #2 WR? He knows he's the #1 WR in Green Bay, and he'll get his money one way or another. As for Gardner he's not very consistent. I wish him luck in Carolina.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005   #6
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Verba and Pace are ones we know we went after (there was another lineman but I can't remember who) ...what we should have learned is the Texans aren't going to overpay for some of these guys just to plug a hole.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005   #7
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

Quote:
If we did pursue them, we didn't pursue hard enough. Gardner would get cut? What are you talking about? He's better than bradford, thats for sure. I just wish we could have made 1 solid improvement to our offense.
IMHO, Gardner sucks...straight up, point blank, end of discussion.
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-27-2005   #8
TexasAggie
Rookie

Lj Shelton
TexasAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005   #9
WILLIEG
Veteran

Lightbulb

I think the O-line will better than last year, however, we do need to replace the center and rightguard. And with the additional speed that Mathis brings to the team we shold see a more productive #2 reciever position if Mathis fills the #3 position. The TE situation isn't as impotant a role in this years offensive sceme to fill as for a #4 reciever rather his ability to carry out a block for DD is more crucial than catching a pass.
WILLIEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005   #10
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005   #11
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

What we are talking about here is an offensive unit that has had at least 3 years to work together, and in those 3 years did some very nice things. Year four is the year we find out exactly what kind of depth we really do have after the depth has competed for a job this year instead of get it handed to them on a silver platter. I believe after this year, we start looking for the real FAs.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005   #12
titan hater
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
What we are talking about here is an offensive unit that has had at least 3 years to work together, and in those 3 years did some very nice things. Year four is the year we find out exactly what kind of depth we really do have after the depth has competed for a job this year instead of get it handed to them on a silver platter. I believe after this year, we start looking for the real FAs.
Don't discount Greenwood...He is small but very fast!! I look for him to be just as good as JS against the run. The big improvement will be our pass D. He will be able to stop any RB coming out of the backfield for a screen or the dump pass.

With that in mind, I completely agree with your take...Next year we can look at OT, OC, and WR to help out DC...
titan hater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005   #13
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 340250 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm really more concerned with depth at our OL than anything. We have got to see some consistancy with protecting DC. There is no other matter more urgent that is directly related to our team's success.
Old 07-28-2005   #14
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP
Default Definitive Answer

"Next year "

...enough said, that says it all!
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005   #15
gtexan02
Working?

Isn't anyone else getting tired of hearing "next year" If we had made some gutsy moves (Im not saying follow in a Carolina expansion pattern) we could be an EASY playoff team with the young guys we have now. I don't want us to mortgage our future, but I don't want to sit around and hope that "another year together will certainly let them gel" No offense to our OL and TE, but to me there was not any significant improvement between game 1 last season and game 16. Why is it that suddently moving from last year to this year will bring loads of improvement? I love optimistic people, but thinking that we will be significantly different on offense this year is ludicrous, and being in the middle of the pack won't cut it in my opinion.
Old 07-28-2005   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Last I heard the Texans haven't given up on 'this' year. What gutsy moves do you refer to? The Texans went from worst offense in the NFL to middle of the pack last year. No improvement to you....improvement to me though.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Isn't anyone else getting tired of hearing "next year" If we had made some gutsy moves (Im not saying follow in a Carolina expansion pattern) we could be an EASY playoff team with the young guys we have now. I don't want us to mortgage our future, but I don't want to sit around and hope that "another year together will certainly let them gel" No offense to our OL and TE, but to me there was not any significant improvement between game 1 last season and game 16. Why is it that suddently moving from last year to this year will bring loads of improvement? I love optimistic people, but thinking that we will be significantly different on offense this year is ludicrous, and being in the middle of the pack won't cut it in my opinion.
Well, and gee I love pessimistic people (well not actually) but what exact moves at what exact costs should the Texans have made? Would a $2 mil offer to Verba have been good enough even if he hadn't accepted?--how about $3 mil? Was only 2 1st's to St. Louis for Pace good enough? Would drafting a TE in the 3rd instead of Morency have taken them to the play-offs this year? What are the specific moves, not just improve the OL, improve the TE, which would of made you happy? Heck I can say we would be a play-off team if only we had improved the QB position by getting Peyton this year. It isn't realistic, but even that is more specific than most of the criticism floating around here.
Old 07-28-2005   #18
tsip
Hall of Fame

Default here's hoping

Here's hoping we start off fast and show 'gobs' of improvement because
it's going to be an awfully quiet board around here if we don't...at least
from some people!
Old 07-28-2005   #19
tsip
Hall of Fame

Talking your turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Well, and gee I love pessimistic people (well not actually) but what exact moves at what exact costs should the Texans have made? Would a $2 mil offer to Verba have been good enough even if he hadn't accepted?--how about $3 mil? Was only 2 1st's to St. Louis for Pace good enough? Would drafting a TE in the 3rd instead of Morency have taken them to the play-offs this year? What are the specific moves, not just improve the OL, improve the TE, which would of made you happy? Heck I can say we would be a play-off team if only we had improved the QB position by getting Peyton this year. It isn't realistic, but even that is more specific than most of the criticism floating around here.
OK. we've heard from the doom sayers about this year--what exact moves
have we made that lead you to believe we will be successful this year?
And, please remember to be specific...thanks.
Old 07-28-2005   #20
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 265137 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I simply have little or no common ground with anyone who thinks that the Texans haven't made "big moves" during this off season. Those same people probably feel like the Texans haven't made much progress in the last three years too. I also disagree with that.

Everyone who's not happy with the Texans at this point in time needs to meet at a location to be named later so I can sit them down and show them the 2002 Texans game against the Cincinnati Bengals.

All will be made clear then.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read