Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-27-2005   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 51932 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default ESPN Ranks Texans #24 in early power rankings

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerranking

check it out. I think its a little unfair, but we're definitely not top 16 either when looking at the other teams
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005   #2
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
[url]...but we're definitely not top 16 either when looking at the other teams
And Dallas is? (ranked #12)

The Texans finished the '04 season with a better record than every team below them in the poll...and 4 teams above them. I guess The Sports Leader sees the Texans young players waning? That they would rank teams with has-been QBs, like the Cards & the Pokes, above the Texans is laughable. Then, NFL polls are laughable since these guys play their way into the playoffs to determine a real champion.
Old 07-27-2005   #3
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34 kbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respected

No need to get worked up about that. It's just an opinion from ESPN. Hey, it's all the more sweeter when the Texans prove them and the rest of the NFL wrong.
Old 07-27-2005   #4
HowBoutThemCowboys!
All Pro

Rep Power: 30 HowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
And Dallas is? (ranked #12)
It's probably because we had the best draft and Jones emptied his pockets for some great players.

I agree that the Texans are getting ripped off at #24. Same in the Madden ratings, only one player ranked in the 90s? What's up with that? You guys will have a succesful season. I wouldn't worry about what the "experts" say.

Dallas Cowboys- 5 Time World Champions
HowBoutThemCowboys! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005   #5
Holden135
Veteran

I agree we got a bad ranking but it means nothing. We are still in first place right now. We are gonna have to earn our respect.
Holden135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005   #6
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Outside of the top and bottom handful of team, argument can be made pretty much of any of these teams to be ranked anywhere. The Texans are in that muddle of team. A logical argument can be for them to be 10 as well 25. For me, the truth is between those two, 15-18.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005   #7
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

The Titans are ranked a little high, but I guess they were cut some slack because of their historical greatness.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-27-2005   #8
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=HowBoutThemCowboys!]It's probably because we had the best draft and Jones emptied his pockets for some great players.[quote]

Great players?: Drew Bledsoe?, Anthony Henry?, Aaron Glenn?, Jason Ferguson?...

Umm, they may all be upgrades but that only says how bad you were at the position. Ferguson is a nice player- hardly great... Marco Rivera, if healthy, is a good player... Henry, Bledsoe, Glenn all have some questions.

The Cowboys are twelve because of their popularity and the attention Parcells' draws to them. I happen to think they will be a playoff team this year but that hardly puts them in the top 12.

Mine would be something like this:

1 Baltimore
2 New England
3 Indianapolis
4 San Diego
5 Pittsburgh
6 Philadelphia
7 Minnesota
8 Carolina
9 Denver
10 Kansas City
11 New York Jets
12 Buffalo
13 Jacksonville
14 Dallas
15 Houston
16 Atlanta
17 Seattle
18 Green Bay
19 Cincinnati
20 Washington
21 Tampa Bay
22 St Louis
23 Arizona
24 Tennessee
25 Oakland
26 Chicago
27 Detroit
28 NYG
29 New Orleans
30 Miami
31 Clevelan
32 San Fran

Last edited by dalemurphy; 07-28-2005 at 01:21 AM.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005   #9
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy
Mine would be something like this:

1 Baltimore
2 New England
3 Indianapolis
4 San Diego
5 Pittsburgh
6 Philadelphia
7 Minnesota
8 Carolina
9 Denver
10 Kansas City
11 New York Jets
12 Buffalo
13 Jacksonville
14 Dallas
15 Houston
16 Atlanta
17 Seattle
18 Green Bay
19 Cincinnati
20 Washington
21 Detroit
22 Tampa Bay
23 St Louis
24 Arizona
25 Oakland
26 Chicago
27 Detroit
28 NYG
29 New Orleans
30 Miami
31 Clevelan
32 San Fran
Guess the Titans don't even qualify as an NFL team anymore? Detroit did pretty well to be 21st and 27th on the list. I'm guessing its just one of those nights where thinks slip your mind. Happens to all of us.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005   #10
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 85708 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
Guess the Titans don't even qualify as an NFL team anymore? Detroit did pretty well to be 21st and 27th on the list. I'm guessing its just one of those nights where thinks slip your mind. Happens to all of us.
Snap...!
michaelm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005   #11
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowBoutThemCowboys!
It's probably because we had the best draft and Jones emptied his pockets for some great players.

I agree that the Texans are getting ripped off at #24. Same in the Madden ratings, only one player ranked in the 90s? What's up with that? You guys will have a succesful season. I wouldn't worry about what the "experts" say.

I will hold with John Madden's opinion of draft grades "The only way to know you had a good draft is 3 years down road how many are starting"...(BTW Dallas only has 2 players from 2003 draft and NO ONE from 2001 or 2002).

As to GREAT players Marco Rivera is on downside of career and they paid WAY too much for a CB, they could have had Phillip Buchanon for same price we paid but had already spent all their money.

I think you will see Dallas same place you saw them last January at home making offseason plans, I think you then see Bill Parcells swim away with rest of Tunas south for Winter
BigDTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005   #12
Htown34s
Veteran

Quote:
I think its a little unfair, but we're definitely not top 16 either when looking at the other teams
What?

Dallas at #12?
Jags at #14?
Lions at #17?

Their top 10 look OK, but 11-20 are puzzling to me.
Old 07-28-2005   #13
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

We not only beat the Jags last year, we whipped the tar out of them -
both times ! So they got the Jags 10 clicks ahead of us ? Yea, right !
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005   #14
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

We are ranked at # 24, so what, even if we were ranked #1..... that and a $1.50 ($3.50 at Starbucks) will get you a cup of coffee. NOW if we are at #24 at the END of the season, then that isn't good and actually means something.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005   #15
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

From a Cowboys fan point of view, this is sweet. Hopefully we can win most of our games, climb up the polls and find ourselves in one of the BCS bowls.

Pre-season polls for college football are pretty dumb.

Pre-season "power polls" for the NFL are worse.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005   #16
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Why does he use a team being in the NFC as a power ranking boost? I know you might win a game or two more, but that doesnt make you an overall better team vs. the other 31 teams.

I think power-rankings should be limited to if they were playing the all madden team, who would come the closest to winning.

Not, well they are in the NFC, so lets bump them up 5 spots.

See Cowboys, Rams, Cardinals Comments.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005   #17
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Houstons allways been picked to be in the bottom because we never do anything huge to get us alot of hype but this is the year that we show why we're vastly underrated by winning and making a run at the playoffs. I say we'll end the season in the top half.
LORK 88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005   #18
wrestler4life
Veteran

I think that one of the reaasons that we are so poorly ranked is that we are still young, we have not proven that we can get or protect the QB, and we are not consistent. Even though the other teams ahead of us may have the same issues, they are not only 4 years old. We have to get a little longer in the tooth or into the playoffs to get more respect from ESPN.
wrestler4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005   #19
southtexan
Veteran

Quote:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerranking

check it out. I think its a little unfair, but we're definitely not top 16 either when looking at the other teams
We have to earn RESPECT, I hope that happens this season.
southtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005   #20
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

No defensive line and no offensive line will not get you any respect. Until we show that we have the ability to block for our QB and get after the other teams QB we will be where we are. Its pure and simple. Almost everyone who is observing us is commenting on the same thing, and that is, what have you done to help Carr. The answer to them is 00000000000. Others like Vinny think we will be alright. Who's right and who's wrong? I guess the old addage time will tell holds here.

We are having a problem signing our rookies and you can add that to the list. That may have a big impact on us despite what some think. We have not had to deal with this in our short history and we may have to now. Will that upset someone like Buchannon and will he suddenly want to hold out for a new contract. Strange things happen in these situations. Just like TO has a contract, but he want's a better one.

I think in the back of the minds of most is what will the Texans do if Carr gets injured. The answer is very little and you can take that to the BANK! Sorry about that, but I couldn't resist.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read