Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Teddy Bridgewater, QB Vikings

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
About time Teddy got his own NFL thread... since he's in the NFL, now. :kitten:

n-TEDDY-BRIDGEWATER-large570.jpg

Bringing some posts forward...

He went 19 of 30 for 317 yards and scrambled 13 yards for a touchdown not bad for his first game. Both he and Carr suffered ankle sprains all depends now on what the MRI says.

He was my favorite qb in the draft and I wish we'd have drafted him. That is all.

Bridgewater definitely looked good, but let's wait until he plays against a real defense. The Falcons hardly qualify. Hopefully his ankle injury is not serious. Imagine if he misses time because they ran a QB run from the 1-yard line in a game where their 2 RB's had combined for 200+ rushing yards.

As much as coaches love to talk about a guy's physical attributes in the scouting process, the qb position is played from the neck up...You simply can't put a premium on that. Teddy was my favorite qb b/c his greatest attributes were all from the neck up.

Seeing what he did yesterday wasn't a surpirse to me...He reminds me so much of Russell Wilson from my evaluation standpoint. The poise and maturity were just off the charts for both these guys....and you could see that in their games. No situation was too big for them.

He looked good, no doubt.

Ankle MRI results okay, looking to start on Thursday...

SportsCenter ‏@SportsCenter
MRI on Vikings QB Teddy Bridgewater's sprained left ankle reveals no serious damage. Vikings hopeful Bridgewater will start on Thursday.

This is awesome. Andrew Luck doesn't even have his own thread in the NFL section.

I expect on a short week he won't look nearly as good against GB. Capers is gonna try to confuse him alot making him hold the ball a bit too long in which case Peppers and CMIII will be all over him by then.

250 yds 1 TD 2 ints.

Great game last night :rolleyes:

Then cap it off with the Coogs fumbling through the endzone for a touch back to end the game.

Hence the minor hangover this morn

I was done with that game at the half.

Was fun watching the Packers light up the scoreboard for a while though.

I was kinda too. I just focused more on the Coogs game and less flipping back and forth.

The Ducks were beaten too. Injuries along their oline have crippled their offense

Oh my, that Vikings game was one of the two most boring that I've seen recently.

The Home team has won this game by a wide margin 4 out of 5 times this season.

I don't think we're going to put 40 on the Colts, but hopefully we'll keep the home win thing going next week.

Oh my, that Vikings game was one of the two most boring that I've seen recently.

Thank god Arizona provided some entertainment last night.

Marcus Mariota is a beast. Better prospect than Winston in my opinion.

He reminds me of Kapernick with touch.

Yeah, his best game I think. Still trouble with deep ball but that's not his game. Good in hurry up.

Redskin defender picked Teddy up like he weighed 100 pounds and planted him into the ground. His helmet went back and bounced off the turf and I thought for sure concussion, but Teddy popped right back up. He may be small, but he's tough.

Yeah, his best game I think. Still trouble with deep ball but that's not his game. Good in hurry up.

Redskin defender picked Teddy up like he weighed 100 pounds and planted him into the ground. His helmet went back and bounced off the turf and I thought for sure concussion, but Teddy popped right back up. He may be small, but he's tough.

Yep, he is not good with the deep ball. Overthrows everytime. But better to overthrow than underthrow. But I think its something he can work on.

However, I must admit I see the Irony that the only reservation I had against Bridgewater was that his size would make it difficult to depend on him.

Pretty good article. Doesn't make me feel good we passed on this guy.

This is when I really wish we could get into O'Brien's head and ask him why Teddy or even Bortles would not have been good in his offense.

And it's not about second guessing decisions in hindsight, but really just to understand the thinking behind decisions and what, exactly, was "wrong" with these QBs when this franchise so desperately needs one. Educational purposes only.

Reactions: JB
This is when I really wish we could get into O'Brien's head and ask him why Teddy or even Bortles would not have been good in his offense.

And it's not about second guessing decisions in hindsight, but really just to understand the thinking behind decisions and what, exactly, was "wrong" with these QBs when this franchise so desperately needs one. Educational purposes only.

It's all about VALUE. There are dozens of players we like, but we only get about seven or so. We take the one that offer the most value. Every QB had something in his game that reduced his value. Many, including myself, did not think any of them were likely to become the elite level QB everyone is wanting. But several non QBs were expected to become anchors at their positions for a long time.

I still think our draft last year will wind up looking very good in two or three years.

It's all about VALUE.

At the end of the day, "value" is code for OPINION.

We see first round busts every year that never would have been drafted if teams knew who those players would be in the pros.

And we see late round and undrafted players that would have been first rounders - some even 1.1 - if anyone had a clue what that player was really about at the end of the day.

"Value" is subjective opinion, based on collective analysis and projected talent.

And that did not even address my point about curiosity in the thinking process behind passing on QBs "valued" as first round talents.

At the end of the day, "value" is code for OPINION.

We see first round busts every year that never would have been drafted if teams knew who those players would be in the pros.

And we see late round and undrafted players that would have been first rounders - some even 1.1 - if anyone had a clue what that player was really about at the end of the day.

"Value" is subjective opinion, based on collective analysis and projected talent.

And that did not even address my point about curiosity in the thinking process behind passing on QBs "valued" as first round talents.

It is a subjective opinion of anticipated VALUE. This does not make VALUE an opinion, but VALUE cannot be predicted with any more certainty than you can predict the PERFORMANCE of any player.

But in a salary cap league, you simply cannot pay everyone top dollar. You have to get value (or more performance than you pay for) from a significant number of your players.

Sad thing we won't find out until either Bortles or Bridgewater win a couple of Super Bowls and they make a documentary like they did with Brady. I don't think OB will admit he made a mistake but I could be wrong. :)

It is a subjective opinion of anticipated VALUE. This does not make VALUE an opinion, but VALUE cannot be predicted with any more certainty than you can predict the PERFORMANCE of any player.

But in a salary cap league, you simply cannot pay everyone top dollar. You have to get value (or more performance than you pay for) from a significant number of your players.

That does nothing to differentiate players like DB is talking about.

And bringing up the salary cap is a total red herring to the discussion except for P, K or TE. Rookie contracts are cheap.

I really doubt OB thought/thinks that Bortles/Bridgewater would not be good in his offense.

Chances are he thought Clowney, XSF, CJ, Nix, Savage, Blue, etc... would be a better team than Bortles/Bridgewater, XSF, CJ, Nix, 5th round OLB, Blue, etc.

Then I'm sure they had thoughts of Ryan Mallett in the equation as well.

Next year, will we be in a position to get a JD Clowney? Probably not. Will we be in a position to get a QB like Bortles/Manziel/Bridgewater..... probably. Late 1st round QB...... probably so.

I also would like to know what he did or didn't "see" in each of the top qb prospects. And if he would have taken TB if he was there at 2-1. I don't think any of them were worth 1-1, but was a trade down opportunity there? Did they consider one? Mainly I want to know if he saw something in Savage that made him stand out or was it just the "value" as Marshall would put it that made him worthy for that late 4th pick

This is when I really wish we could get into O'Brien's head... just to understand the thinking behind decisions and what, exactly, was "wrong" with these QBs when this franchise so desperately needs one. Educational purposes only.
I believe those answers are contained in previously posted content on TexansTalk, including the audio/video linked off site. Just have to be a seeker. :fostering:

Next year, will we be in a position to get a QB like Bortles..... probably. Late 1st round QB...... probably so.
I would say not. JMO.

Pretty good article. Doesn't make me feel good we passed on this guy.
I never felt good about it. As far as the pre-draft criticism of Bridgewater (size, arm strength, pro day accuracy), I thought that was answered by watching his actual games. Those things were never an issue in games.

But, what did make sense were the comments regarding Bridgewater's personality. The concern was that he was too low key. Not vocal enough. Not an alpha. Not a leader. Even the coach that drafted Bridgewater is still wondering about this.

Vikings coach Mike Zimmer provided a story Sunday and a headline to boot.

Following a 30-24 overtime win over the New York Jets at TCF Bank Stadium, Zimmer talked about the future of quarterback Teddy Bridgewater. The rookie moments earlier had thrown a winning 87-yard touchdown pass in overtime to Jarius Wright.

"When Teddy decides to be the leader of the football team, because right now he's still feeling his way a little bit and his personality is just do what you do and do what you have to do, this franchise is Teddy's," Zimmer said. "I know that was a good headline for you. ... He needs to take it over. This is his team now."
Everyone wants the QB to be a certain type. An in your face leader that will kick butt when it's called for. Bridgewater may not be that guy. But, everyone also wants a QB to be able to execute and make plays. It appears that Bridgewater is that type of guy.

It makes me wonder what's more important. A QB who will fire up his teammates. Or one who will execute with the game on the line. I would sure like to see a QB that can execute on this Texans team. Imagine what Bridgewater could do with weapons like Foster, Johnson, and Hopkins around him.

I never felt good about it. As far as the pre-draft criticism of Bridgewater (size, arm strength, pro day accuracy), I thought that was answered by watching his actual games. Those things were never an issue in games.

But, what did make sense were the comments regarding Bridgewater's personality. The concern was that he was too low key. Not vocal enough. Not an alpha. Not a leader. Even the coach that drafted Bridgewater is still wondering about this.

Everyone wants the QB to be a certain type. An in your face leader that will kick butt when it's called for. Bridgewater may not be that guy. But, everyone also wants a QB to be able to execute and make plays. It appears that Bridgewater is that type of guy.

It makes me wonder what's more important. A QB who will fire up his teammates. Or one who will execute with the game on the line. I would sure like to see a QB that can execute on this Texans team. Imagine what Bridgewater could do with weapons like Foster, Johnson, and Hopkins around him.

I think its safe to say one that will execute with the game on the line, it turned out good for them this past game when he recognized the defense and made an audible to win the game.

http://www.foxsports.com/north/story/bridewater-s-audible-leads-to-wright-s-game-winner-in-ot-120714

I also would like to know what he did or didn't "see" in each of the top qb prospects. And if he would have taken TB if he was there at 2-1. I don't think any of them were worth 1-1, but was a trade down opportunity there? Did they consider one? Mainly I want to know if he saw something in Savage that made him stand out or was it just the "value" as Marshall would put it that made him worthy for that late 4th pick

Me three... but we all know we'll never get that info. Except for maybe 30 years in the future in some documentary like someone has already mentioned. And this isn't a knock on BOB, Rick Smith, or anyone on the Texans. No one in the league reveals this type of info. Why? I don't know... maybe admitting incompetence doesn't exactly help your NFL career.

When the Browns selected Manziel at 22, I was pretty excited... because I seriously thought the top QB I wanted in this class was going to fall to us in the 2nd. The question I would like to know is did the Seahawks let the Texans know about the trade to the Vikings and allow them to counter? Or were the Texans totally blind-sided?

Me three... but we all know we'll never get that info. Except for maybe 30 years in the future in some documentary like someone has already mentioned. And this isn't a knock on BOB, Rick Smith, or anyone on the Texans. No one in the league reveals this type of info. Why? I don't know... maybe admitting incompetence doesn't exactly help your NFL career.

When the Browns selected Manziel at 22, I was pretty excited... because I seriously thought the top QB I wanted in this class was going to fall to us in the 2nd. The question I would like to know is did the Seahawks let the Texans know about the trade to the Vikings and allow them to counter? Or were the Texans totally blind-sided?

I would have to imagine that Seattle would have let the Texans know that they had a trade in place for another team to move up. Seattle would've much rather have had the first pick in the second round and also would have chosen to trade with someone outside of their conference. Bridgewater was never an option for OB unfortunately.

Teddy was my guy. I loved him. Wanted us to skip the non sense and just take him number 1. All that pro day non sense...small hands...small frame....

Man I watched the guy play. So cerebral in his approach.

I was pissed. Near livid when we let the Vikings jump above us and take him. Trading for mallet was my second choice so I was good with that when we finally did.

But teddy was young, and I felt like he could have been molded here under OB to be his guy. Fitz could have been a good vet to have around still. Could have added another vet or kept keenum around.

I reeeaaaaallllllly don't want to believe that OB didn't want to hitch his wagon to a 1st round qb just for job preservation sake.

I reeeaaaaallllllly don't want to believe that OB didn't want to hitch his wagon to a 1st round qb just for job preservation sake.

I still believe the Texans felt they were in "win now" mode. Mallett + Clowney addresses that better than Bridgewater.... whoever.

Still, I thought they would trade up to get him once he got down in the 20s. I was surprised we didn't move up to get him when he got below 25.

I think he could have made a difference here, in our future, but I don't think anyone is going to be worried about Minnesota for a while.

You know, I never saw much of Montana, but what I did see and remember was he was never the type to be all in everyone's grill and rah rah type qb we tend see now. And he managed to do well. :)

You know, I never saw much of Montana, but what I did see and remember was he was never the type to be all in everyone's grill and rah rah type qb we tend see now. And he managed to do well. :)

He was not. Joe Cool remained calm and if anything would crack a joke at a critical juncture to relieve the stress of the situation. Much more of a "we/I got this guys" kind of guy than a shouter or deliver an inspirational speech guy.

He was not. Joe Cool remained calm and if anything would crack a joke at a critical juncture to relieve the stress of the situation. Much more of a "we/I got this guys" kind of guy than a shouter or deliver an inspirational speech guy.

I think too much is made of visible emotion on the sidelines with QBs. Roger Staubach was never a screamer/yeller, but there is no doubt that he was a leader of men and was a champion to his core.

Yeah, I remember one of the O-linemen say that Joe asked him "Isn't that John Candy?" during the Super Bowl when they were trailing. lol
Seems like the situation was never to great for him to lose his cool.

I also remember him against the Oilers. :pinned:

...It makes me wonder what's more important....

To me, it's pretty simple. I have a tried and true method. I can't always tell you who the best QB will be, but I can tell you who has no chance.

1) Mental ability to quickly diagnose information
2) Mental ability to use that information to make the best decision
3) Physical ability to throw to the receiver with both accuracy and precision
4) Leadership ability (This does not mean charisma. Too often the two are confused. This is just the innate ability to get people to follow your lead, either through your words or through your actions.)

Everything is else is just window dressing. If you don't have these you won't make it.

The problem with scouting QBs is that three of those four abilities are intangible. It is a lot easier to use size, arm strength, and stats to make your decision. And that's why there are so many misses.

I think too much is made of visible emotion on the sidelines with QBs. Roger Staubach was never a screamer/yeller, but there is no doubt that he was a leader of men and was a champion to his core.

And that goes with coaches as well. I would prefer a smart quiet coach that can lead his team to wins and Super Bowls than a guy that keeps on shouting and getting pump.

Yeah, I remember one of the O-linemen say that Joe asked him "Isn't that John Candy?" during the Super Bowl when they were trailing. lol
Seems like the situation was never to great for him to lose his cool.

I also remember him against the Oilers. :pinned:

Yup.

[For god's sake bringing up two QBs does not mean they are equivalent.]

Schaub early on is reported to have done something similar. We got down 14+ points (I want to say against Carolina in Schaub's 1st season) and walked into the huddle and said "ok, we've got 'em right where we want 'em." Can't remember who related it but it calmed them and they went on the march to win.

Leaders and leadership come in many different forms.

I still believe the Texans felt they were in "win now" mode. Mallett + Clowney addresses that better than Bridgewater.... whoever.

That is exactly McNair's mindset, the reason he signed Ed Reed, the reason he wouldn't trade Andre Johnson, the reason he drafted Clowney.

Back