Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-30-2014   #21
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28100 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: San Antonio Raiders?

I wouldn't mind since the Raiders are one of the teams I root for when I'm not rooting for the Texans.

Would be even better if they moved here and we could have a new division with Dallas, San Antonio and New Orleans.

santo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014   #22
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

I quit listening to what owners say (or don't say) a couple of years ago. I have zero confidence Bob McNair will stand in their way if this gets serious.

Owners of Houston sports teams have this knack for doing the exact opposite of what they should do.
Old 07-30-2014   #23
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 86936 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
I quit listening to what owners say (or don't say) a couple of years ago. I have zero confidence Bob McNair will stand in their way if this gets serious.

Owners of Houston sports teams have this knack for doing the exact opposite of what they should do.
Couldn't disagree more. The Texans have demonstrated some degree of ineptitude from a football operations standpoint, but quite the opposite from a financial/business standpoint, and this would clearly fall into that second category.
Old 07-30-2014   #24
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Couldn't disagree more. The Texans have demonstrated some degree of ineptitude from a football operations standpoint, but quite the opposite from a financial/business standpoint, and this would clearly fall into that second category.
I hope you're right.
Old 07-30-2014   #25
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Seems like a real long-shot, but then I never thought that Houston would beat out LA for an NFL franchise, so who knows. As a practical matter, I think SA could support a team and with that cheap Texas RE (compared to California), it would sure be a lot less expensive to build a new stadium there than in LA.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014   #26
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 87068 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTexansFan View Post
Bob is definitely delusional. San Antonio and Austin are staunchly Cowboy fans. As for SA getting a team, I'd support that if they'd place the stadium midway between SA and Austin, and call them something like the Texas Raiders where both cities could participate. That would be a large enough fanbase, with the right corporate support to succeed.
I almost would want to see this happen, if for anything to pee in Jerrah's Cheerios.

I also would want to know how the people in San Antonio would feel towards Jerrah and Bob if they were the ones responsible for blocking them from getting a NFL team.

If I were a native of SA this would leave a bad taste in my mouth and might damper me from supporting their teams.

Honestly, as I think about this more, if I were still living in Austin I might actually want this. There are enough ways to watch the Texans so that would not be much of a concern.

It's actually pretty cool living within driving distance to multiple NFL teams. The more local rivals the more fun it is. I like the fact that where I live now I have the Bucs an hour and a half away, the Jags 2 hours away and the Dolphins 4 hours away. When I lived in Delaware it was cool having the Eagles, Giants, Jets, Redskins and now Ravens within doable driving distance.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014   #27
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

I think it'd be pretty cool.
Old 07-30-2014   #28
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12118 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo View Post
I wouldn't mind since the Raiders are one of the teams I root for when I'm not rooting for the Texans.

Would be even better if they moved here and we could have a new division with Dallas, San Antonio and New Orleans.

I would love that. I'm interested to see how the other divisions would shake up, but that would be an awesome southern division.

As for a team in SA, I wouldn't be opposed to it. I wouldn't root for them ever, but I know they would have a great fanbase in San Antonio.

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014   #29
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Lol, I'm listening to Jay Mohr's show at somebody from San Antonio tweeted an Oakland fan saying, paraphrasing, "bring 'em on. Let them learn how to win from the REAL silver and black."

I'm no Spurs fan, but that was awesome. Until I heard that I didn't even think about the colors.

I heard something about Goodell trying to talk the Niners into letting the Raiders play in Santa Clara, if nothing else on a temporary basis. I can't see that happening. The Niners would love to put the squeeze on the Raiders. They'd even rent the moving vans.
Old 07-30-2014   #30
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34647 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Will never happen. Its a ploy to get more money out of Oakland or LA ...
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014   #31
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 87068 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
I remember telling everyone that about Nashville and the Oilers.
Old 07-30-2014   #32
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3280 Kulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respected

I just don't see this happening. Oakland's ineptitude might cost them the Raiders, but if the Raiders do leave, the only logical destination is LA. The league wants a team in LA, owners in the NFL want a team in LA, and there are enough fans to warrant a team in LA. And to top that off, Jerry Jones will do everything in his power to make sure San Antonio never gets their own team.
Kulluminatii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014   #33
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
I remember telling everyone that about Nashville and the Oilers.
I see it more like Bud Adams and Jacksonville circa 1987.

By the time Nashville entered the picture, they had a new stadium deal with lots of incentives to offer Bud.

San Antonio's offer to upgrade the Alamodome is pretty weak, all things considered. If a city truly wants and NFL team, then they'd better step up to the plate with a serious offer. Right now I think SA is being used like a pawn on a chess board.
Old 07-30-2014   #34
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone remember the CFL team, the San Antonio Texans?

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014   #35
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51147 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
If you consider San Antonio/Austin one big market, it's truly bigger than many existing NFL markets. Actually I think SA alone is bigger than some.

So from that aspect it works and I think any NFL team would have good support in central Texas considering it's a football crazed area (as is the entire state).

If any state should have 3 teams it should be Texas, considering the size and that football is the number one sport.

With that said, Jerry and Bob would have to convince the other owners to shoot it down because of their own personal interests, not because it wouldn't be good for the league.

Personally, I don't think this would affect the Cowboys or especially the Texans too much.

The Texans never seemed to care very much about winning fans in central Texas or outside of the Houston area in general. I remember the small outreach thing they were doing for a few seasons but I don't remember anything beyond that (unless that's changed in the last 2 years since I have been gone).

I guess Jerry might lose some fans in the SA area and I think he is the only one that doesn't participate in merchandise rev sharing, so maybe he loses some sales, however their following in general isn't going to be affected that much.

This just would suck for the existing Texans fan living in those areas because of TV. It would be what Dolphin fans here in central Florida (there a lot of them) have to deal with because of the Jags. The Jags start up and instantly get TV rights to the Orlando market. It's funny because they will often put on scrolling text apologizing to Dolphin fans for having to air Jags road games (when the Jags are home they can show Dolphins games here). I could see that happening if the Raiders were in the NFC, however I don't think the Texans have the same type of following outside of Houston that the Dolphins have in other parts of Florida outside of Miami.

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out. Having been to Oakland and having biz partners in that area I don't see them staying there. Many people in that area are staying away because of the "cholo" thing going on in that stadium. One guy out there told me that he was a big Raiders fan but stopped going to their games because it's like walking through the hood. He told me if there are no opposing fans to fight they start fighting with themselves. Also that place is a dump.
San Antonio is large enough for an NFL Franchise and more importantly, it is a GROWING market rather than a shrinking one.

LA is just not a Football City so let it stay a poofball City.
New fan of #21 Kendrick Lewis
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014   #36
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Anyone remember the CFL team, the San Antonio Texans?

yep. And unfortunately, yet another reminder that teams that have had the Texans as mascot have never accomplished anything significant.

Houston Texans, a 1974 World Football League team that became the Shreveport Steamer
Dallas Texans (Arena), an Arena Football League team that played from 1990 to 1993
Dallas Texans (NFL), an NFL team in 1952
The Dallas Texans, an American Football League team of 19601962 that became the Kansas City Chiefs
San Antonio Texans, a Canadian Football League team that played during the 1995 season
Dallas Texans (AHA), 19411942 team in the American Hockey Association
Dallas Texans (USHL), 19451949 team in the United States Hockey League (19451951)

But enough of all that. OUR Texans will be different. Someday.
Old 07-30-2014   #37
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Houston Texans, a 1974 World Football League team that became the Shreveport Steamer
Good thing they did not move to Cleveland
Old 07-30-2014   #38
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd love to see a third Texas team...but that Alamodome is a friggin' dump. It's barely a step up from the miserable toilet, er libertybowl in Memphis when the Oilers moved. I went to games there and it was a joke to host NFL games in such a miserable venue. Even on a temp basis it's not dignified. WFL or USFL...I can see it, but not the NFL.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014   #39
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I see it more like Bud Adams and Jacksonville circa 1987.

By the time Nashville entered the picture, they had a new stadium deal with lots of incentives to offer Bud.

San Antonio's offer to upgrade the Alamodome is pretty weak, all things considered. If a city truly wants and NFL team, then they'd better step up to the plate with a serious offer. Right now I think SA is being used like a pawn on a chess board.
The Alamo dome face lift is not the offer. It is a temporary accommodation while a brand new stadium is built.

I don't really care one way or the other. I will never root for the Raiders no matter where they move and they will never be a Texas team but if San Antonio wants them good luck.
Old 07-30-2014   #40
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Quote:
Dallas Texans (Arena), an Arena Football League team that played from 1990 to 1993
Dallas Texans (NFL), an NFL team in 1952
The Dallas Texans, an American Football League team of 19601962 that became the Kansas City Chiefs
San Antonio Texans, a Canadian Football League team that played during the 1995 season
Dallas Texans (AHA), 19411942 team in the American Hockey Association
Dallas Texans (USHL), 19451949 team in the United States Hockey League (19451951)

But enough of all that. OUR Texans will be different. Someday.
Cool list. If I may add one? The Ft. Worth Texans (19741982) of the Central Hockey League. I saw them play the Houston Apollos a couple of times in the old Coliseum.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read