Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-29-2014   #1
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 100129 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected
Default San Antonio Raiders?

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...g-nfl-team.ece

Quote:
Mark Davis, the owner of the Oakland Raiders, talked with San Antonio leaders on July 18 about the possibility of uprooting from California and moving to Texas, the San Antonio Express-News reported. The Raiders' lease in Oakland expires after the 2014 season.

San Antonio would offer the Alamodome as a temporary home. There are planned upgrades to the 21-year-old facility that could be ready by 2015, including new suites. The site is the home to the UT-San Antonio football team and the annual Alamo Bowl.

Davis would expect the Alamo City to build a new stadium within a few years and has indicated he seeks more of an intimate venue than a 'Jerry Jones-type facility.' And it would be expected to have a statue of his father, Al Davis, in front of it.
Bad news for Texans fans in central Texas. Austin would be Raider country and the Texans lose TV coverage there.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014   #2
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 167815 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: San Antonio Raiders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...g-nfl-team.ece

Bad news for Texans fans in central Texas. Austin would be Raider country and the Texans lose TV coverage there.
Very interesting you brought this up. Around the 1st of July the A's signed a 10-year lease extension at the Coliseum. When I heard that my first thought was the Raiders would never stand to play at the Coliseum for another decade. Two-and-a-half weeks later this article comes out? I think this story has validity.
Old 07-29-2014   #3
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 352273 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd love to have a 3rd team in Texas, even if it did recall D'nD'er...

Old 07-29-2014   #4
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 167815 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I'd love to have a 3rd team in Texas, even if it did recall D'nD'er...

I would HATE IT! Guess who I would get to watch on Sunday? Cowboys and Raiders. Yeah, I know, I could watch the Texans via other outlets, but I just don't want the competition here in Austin. It's bad enough as it is.
Old 07-29-2014   #5
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 243454 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

While the NFL insists they want a team in LA????? Could be a ploy to force the NFL to subsidize a new stadium for them in LA.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014   #6
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 317-6-8, 115 Q6
Rep Power: 48949 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting. I guess if LA comes up short again on a commitment that San Antonio would be a logical choice and I believe they would do whatever necessary to make it happen.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014   #7
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Hasn't LA always been a little fickle in regards to football fandom?

Would moving to San Antonio give the Raiders and move stable and passionate fan base?
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-30-2014   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
While the NFL insists they want a team in LA????? Could be a ploy to force the NFL to subsidize a new stadium for them in LA.
this ^^^^ raiders do have leverage. A's have made commitment & right now a much hotter commodity, so it would behoove NFL to relocate & build new facility in LA market instead.

speaking of A's did anyone else see that classic meltdown of Chad Qualls in 9th with a 4-1 lead two outs & lose 4-7? maybe the Astros are the ones moving to San Antonio?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014   #9
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104725 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
this ^^^^ raiders do have leverage. A's have made commitment & right now a much hotter commodity, so it would behoove NFL to relocate & build new facility in LA market instead.

speaking of A's did anyone else see that classic meltdown of Chad Qualls in 9th with a 4-1 lead two outs & lose 4-7? maybe the Astros are the ones moving to San Antonio?
Would anyone really notice? I know this is the wrong forum, but I fear the Astros could become the new Pittsburgh Pirates under Crane.. I do not like that guy.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014   #10
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107813 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm gonna guess that Bob and Jerry would be able to do a pretty good job of keeping Lloyd Christmas II from ever getting the 75 percent approval of other owners necessary to make this happen, and unlike his father, he wouldn't have the combination of balls and hubris to do it anyway.

Quote:
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet · 8h

Asked a league source what about #Raiders meeting in San Antonio. Was asked this: "What does Jerry Jones think? Or Bob McNair?" Big obstacle
Old 07-30-2014   #11
austins23
Veteran

Section: GridIron 525
Rep Power: 19551 austins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Not good for Texans fans down here in South Texas. Already competing with the Cowboys for TV time and then to have another team so close. If it did happen, would they leave em in the AFC West? That would really put a damper on the TV time for the Texans.

And they would have to build a stadium quick, that Alamodome sucks for football. Only good seats for football games are the end zones and between the 40's on the field level.
Old 07-30-2014   #12
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 317-6-8, 115 Q6
Rep Power: 48949 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
I'm gonna guess that Bob and Jerry would be able to do a pretty good job of keeping Lloyd Christmas II from ever getting the 75 percent approval of other owners necessary to make this happen, and unlike his father, he wouldn't have the combination of balls and hubris to do it anyway.
I would be surprised if Jerry were to vote against it since back in 1999 the NFL owners voted 29-0 (Jerry and Bud) to accept McNairs offer for the franchise over the one finally offered by LA.

Last edited by StarStruck; 07-30-2014 at 10:06 AM.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014   #13
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 150044 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Agreed! When I read this news last night I immediately shrugged it off as no way in heck the owners will allow this to happen.
Old 07-30-2014   #14
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 100129 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

If you consider San Antonio/Austin one big market, it's truly bigger than many existing NFL markets. Actually I think SA alone is bigger than some.

So from that aspect it works and I think any NFL team would have good support in central Texas considering it's a football crazed area (as is the entire state).

If any state should have 3 teams it should be Texas, considering the size and that football is the number one sport.

With that said, Jerry and Bob would have to convince the other owners to shoot it down because of their own personal interests, not because it wouldn't be good for the league.

Personally, I don't think this would affect the Cowboys or especially the Texans too much.

The Texans never seemed to care very much about winning fans in central Texas or outside of the Houston area in general. I remember the small outreach thing they were doing for a few seasons but I don't remember anything beyond that (unless that's changed in the last 2 years since I have been gone).

I guess Jerry might lose some fans in the SA area and I think he is the only one that doesn't participate in merchandise rev sharing, so maybe he loses some sales, however their following in general isn't going to be affected that much.

This just would suck for the existing Texans fan living in those areas because of TV. It would be what Dolphin fans here in central Florida (there a lot of them) have to deal with because of the Jags. The Jags start up and instantly get TV rights to the Orlando market. It's funny because they will often put on scrolling text apologizing to Dolphin fans for having to air Jags road games (when the Jags are home they can show Dolphins games here). I could see that happening if the Raiders were in the NFC, however I don't think the Texans have the same type of following outside of Houston that the Dolphins have in other parts of Florida outside of Miami.

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out. Having been to Oakland and having biz partners in that area I don't see them staying there. Many people in that area are staying away because of the "cholo" thing going on in that stadium. One guy out there told me that he was a big Raiders fan but stopped going to their games because it's like walking through the hood. He told me if there are no opposing fans to fight they start fighting with themselves. Also that place is a dump.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014   #15
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 352273 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

McNair speaks on SA overture...

Tania Ganguli @taniaganguli
Quote:
McNair says he wouldn't oppose it just because it was San Antonio. Would look at facts and see if thar would strengthen the league. #Texans

#Texans owner Bob McNair is talking San Antonio. Says if there were a team there "half the fans (in the stands) would be ours."
James Palmer @JPalmerCSN
Quote:
Bob McNair is chairman of the finance committee so said he'd obviously be involved in a team coming to San Antonio. Would not say he's opposed

Bob McNair joked LA has been in play for a team for 16 years, so yes they're in play. Said there is movement there right now.

Texans owner Bob McNair said if a team was in San Antonio half the fans in the stands would be #Texans fans
Reading between the lines of all of the twitter coverage... pretty sure his answer is "No." JMO
Old 07-30-2014   #16
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Quote:
Texans owner Bob McNair said if a team was in San Antonio half the fans in the stands would be #Texans fans
He's out of his mind. He says this based on what? All the time and effort put forth by the Texans to acknowledge the Austin fan base?? It's nonexistent.

I've already heard some of the first opinions by Austin (so called) fans of the Cowboys and Texans. If the Raiders came to Central Texas they couldn't burn their jerseys fast enough. I'm thinking it's a kneejerk reaction to the prospect of a Central Texas team, though.

I'm sure most Texan/Cowboy fans would stick with their team, but to say a SA Raiders/Texans game at the Alamo would be 50/50 in the stands is delusional.
Old 07-30-2014   #17
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 30093 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

Bob is definitely delusional. San Antonio and Austin are staunchly Cowboy fans. As for SA getting a team, I'd support that if they'd place the stadium midway between SA and Austin, and call them something like the Texas Raiders where both cities could participate. That would be a large enough fanbase, with the right corporate support to succeed.
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014   #18
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
He's out of his mind. He says this based on what? All the time and effort put forth by the Texans to acknowledge the Austin fan base?? It's nonexistent.

I've already heard some of the first opinions by Austin (so called) fans of the Cowboys and Texans. If the Raiders came to Central Texas they couldn't burn their jerseys fast enough. I'm thinking it's a kneejerk reaction to the prospect of a Central Texas team, though.

I'm sure most Texan/Cowboy fans would stick with their team, but to say a SA Raiders/Texans game at the Alamo would be 50/50 in the stands is delusional.
I see nothing mentioned about a Raiders/Texans matchup. Maybe the 50/50 comment means he expects that many Texans fans to be jumping ship?
JCTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014   #19
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
I see nothing mentioned about a Raiders/Texans matchup. Maybe the 50/50 comment means he expects that many Texans fans to be jumping ship?
I took it to mean a Texans/Raiders game. So I might have misunderstood and Uncle Bob thinks Texan fans will just go to Raider games therefore (presumably) missing their own Texans play in the process? Unless one team played a primetime game that week that's what would happen.

Plus, I would like to think any self-respecting Texan fan would go out of his way to watch the Texans on TV or go to NRG to see it.

If THAT'S what he meant he's lost the reigns.
Old 07-30-2014   #20
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Has nothing to do with either or reality, it's just McNair's way of saying he doesn't want a team in San Antonio while not saying it. I'm sure Jerruh feels the same way. Pooty parpers.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read