Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-20-2014   #41
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Test Your Texans IQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
For me, this isn't about Kubiak. It could have been anyone in that position.

A huge part of whether a coach is successful or not is based on pure luck: on being able to get the right staff together, on having the right players fall to him, on those players staying healthy and in the right mind-set, on the ball bouncing right. The biggest factor is being lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time to get the right quarterback and then recognizing him when he sees him.

Someone like a Parcells, who can go somewhere and cobble together a winning team out of whatever is available to him and put together a program that is consistently in the running for a championship, is very rare and doesn't come along very often and even he couldn't do it consistently.

Right now, John Fox looks like a genius because he was able to win with Delhomme and Tebow with teams that really didn't throw much, and then had Manning fall into his lap and totally turned the offense over to him. But I don't think he's that great of a coach. He's just been damned lucky. Holmgren lucked into Favre (but could only win 1 SB with him) and then wasn't all that great at Seattle until he lucked into Shaun Alexander and then he rode that guy to death.

And this is why I'm against hiring coaches who've already won a SB. I don't think that most of them won a SB because of how great a coach they are but by them just getting lucky. I don't expect lightning to strike twice for them.

For me, continuity in the coaching staff, as long as the coaching staff is at least pretty good, controls one of the variables and allows the other forces to line up rather than throwing all the dice at once. That's the mistake I think a lot of franchises make: throwing all the die and cleaning house every 2-4 years.

So you're going to see me making the same arguments for OB that I made for Kubiak because for me, it's not about the person who is the coach as long as they're a decent coach, it's about the patience to stick with them and their system and allow them to get on a lucky streak.
Holmgren sure got lucky when he handpicked Hasselbeck and made/should've won a SB. Fox, the Fact that he made the SB with Delhomme as his QB and made the playoffs installing a new system that fit Tebow in the middle of the season tells me that Fox isn't just a good HC, but a great HC. Do you think Kubiak would've done that well?

We just have different philosophies and after 4 or so yrs I can tell if a HC is a SB caliber HC. I expected a better than .500 record from the HC of the team I root for. I get that you don't like change and respect that. But what does it take for you to realize that change needs to be made and can be a good thing. I ask this because I'm trying to figure out your way of thinking and your limits on a HC.

MSR, I enjoy the back and forth and this isn't about Kubiak for me either. I would be this way with any medicore HC.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014   #42
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41207 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Hah! I missed the same two questions. And the sad part is, I thought #6 was Marcus Coleman then talked myself into Aaron Glenn. I knew it was one of those two. IMO, those guys still made up the best secondary we ever had.
I got 8 out of 10. I missed the INT & the first pre-season Win. I remember Glenn making the pro-bowl at least once as a Texan but I don't recall Coleman ever making a pro-bowl here.
JCTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #43
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Holmgren sure got lucky when he handpicked Hasselbeck and made/should've won a SB. Fox, the Fact that he made the SB with Delhomme as his QB and made the playoffs installing a new system that fit Tebow in the middle of the season tells me that Fox isn't just a good HC, but a great HC. Do you think Kubiak would've done that well?
John Fox was 73-71 after 9 years in Carolina. He made it to the playoffs 3 times in 9 years. He's a good coach, not a great one in my eyes.

Then he makes the playoffs going 8-8 with Tebow.

And then he gets Peyton Manning.

To me, he's the poster boy for being in the right places at the right time.

Quote:
We just have different philosophies and after 4 or so yrs I can tell if a HC is a SB caliber HC. I expected a better than .500 record from the HC of the team I root for. I get that you don't like change and respect that. But what does it take for you to realize that change needs to be made and can be a good thing. I ask this because I'm trying to figure out your way of thinking and your limits on a HC.
I said it at the time, the 6-10 season in 2010 would have been the end of the Kubiak era for me. I would NOT have made the coaching change after the end of the 2009 season, though.

Quote:
MSR, I enjoy the back and forth and this isn't about Kubiak for me either. I would be this way with any medicore HC.
Let's just hope that we don't end up having this same conversation about OB because he's winning too many games.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.

Last edited by The Pencil Neck; 07-21-2014 at 03:22 AM. Reason: I cut something stupid where I miscalculated John Fox's record after 4 years.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #44
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
John Fox was 73-71 after 9 years in Carolina. He made it to the playoffs 3 times in 9 years. He's a good coach, not a great one in my eyes.

Then he makes the playoffs going 8-8 with Tebow.

And then he gets Peyton Manning.

To me, he's the poster boy for being in the right places at the right time.

I said it at the time, the 6-10 season in 2010 would have been the end of the Kubiak era for me. I would NOT have made the coaching change after the end of the 2009 season, though.

Let's just hope that we don't end up having this same conversation about OB because he's winning too many games.
I would take a SB appearance and a conference championship appearance in a 9 yr span, especially with Jake Delhomme be at QB.

Agreed about BOB, I've got a feeling that things will be much better this time around. BOB appears to be comfortable in his own skin. I like the staff he's hired, minus Dunn.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read