Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-10-2014   #1
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 11090 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Picking up the pieces

With all this Dre is unhappy talk and wants a trade, I wanna discuss the WR currently on the roster, and who will step up in Dre's place because I for one am not sold on Hopkins yet and still need to see more from Posey. Heck is our future #1 star WR even on our roster as of now?
PHILLYTEXANFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 178253 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Picking up the pieces

I saw a post not too long ago on some thread that Posey is now 100% healthy so will be interesting to see his TC.
Old 07-11-2014   #3
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 347973 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Posey would step into AJ's role, and we'd be looking at WR in the draft -- which was already on the menu.
Old 07-11-2014   #4
pirbroke
All Pro

Rep Power: 11106 pirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respected

I would look to trade AJ for a starting right tackle ( which would add time to all receivers routes ) and maybe a young speedster WR. He doesn't need to be a high ranking one or even a number 1, just someone that could stretch the field some. That last may not matter if our QB's can't hit him.
pirbroke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014   #5
pirbroke
All Pro

Rep Power: 11106 pirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Picking up the pieces

I wish we knew the 3 or 4 teams interested in trading for AJ.

I see Oakland is rumored, man that would be funny.
pirbroke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014   #6
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 93882 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

I seem to recall they were impressed with a couple of the receivers who were on the PS in the OTA's. That dude EZ Nglkg;lha apparently looked good plus Posey I think is going to be used much better. Of course we have Hopkins and Bonner back is back from injury. Martin I guess but he's a slot receiver. I'd say Hopkins and Posey and a surprise PS player can do the job because we're going to be using TE's more anyway.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014   #7
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 93882 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirbroke View Post
I wish we knew the 3 or 4 teams interested in trading for AJ.

I see Oakland is rumored, man that would be funny.
The 4 that I know of are Carolina, Cleveland, NE and Baltimore. Cleveland and Baltimore would be better fits for AJ scheme-wise but I really don't want to trade him to Baltimore. I don't think Carolina has cap space. One team's fans that I talk to are Philly fans who think he'd be a good fit and they have cap room.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-11-2014   #8
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 136288 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Pat D Stat from SOTT on Twitter keeps saying we all need to calm down because Posey looked really damn good at OTA's. He cant go into much detail due to NDA's but said he has really come a long way.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014   #9
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 148361 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYTEXANFAN View Post
With all this Dre is unhappy talk and wants a trade, I wanna discuss the WR currently on the roster, and who will step up in Dre's place because I for one am not sold on Hopkins yet and still need to see more from Posey. Heck is our future #1 star WR even on our roster as of now?
You're not sold on Hopkins and are looking at Posey and the slew of "meh" WRs we have? Hopkins will be our #1 whenever Dre leaves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014   #10
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

we have a slew of second rate wr's without AJ. No clear wr1 on the roster by any stretch of the imagination.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014   #11
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
we have a slew of second rate wr's without AJ. No clear wr1 on the roster by any stretch of the imagination.
I think the system is going to cater to the TEs and slot WR primarily, so a prototypical #1 WR is not going to be quite as important in the scheme. IMO.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014   #12
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 119696 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
I think the system is going to cater to the TEs and slot WR primarily, so a prototypical #1 WR is not going to be quite as important in the scheme. IMO.
Agree, i rarely remember seeing NE with a clear #1, they seemed to always have a bunch of OK guys, but of course Tom Brady can make anyone look good.
Old 07-11-2014   #13
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
did I mention we had no elite TE either?

I understand everyone thinking that since the Pats do it without elite WR's that it must be the system. I'm more in the line of if we don't have AJ, Tom Brady ain't gonna make up for it. I think the system will help though...I'm just not going to try to convince myself that unproven mediocre wr's can replace AJ. Who replaced Earl? Who replaced Hakeem? You can't replace guys like that with chump change. You need to go out and get a real talent. Here was my suggestion in March

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014   #14
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 147126 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Hopkins and Posey a lot. I just don't think they've got the speed to stretch the field. AJ isn't the burner he once was, but he was still able to get down field when he needed to.

Sort of already said, but I see the first year of this passing offense being short to intermediate routes. Like MichaelM said, the TEs, slot and the RBs will be highly involved.

I'm not expecting a dynamic offense this season. A lot of running and dink & dunking. Hopefully enough to keep the defense off the field long enough for a breather

I just hope Crennel can mix things up every week like he did in NE vs the boring type D we've recently seen in KC. Imo, KC's defense got better when he left....
Old 07-11-2014   #15
brg88tx
Veteran

Rep Power: 9919 brg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respected

one of the reasons dre was so dominant is he was targeted 70% of the time. we'll be just fine with Hopkins and Posey with the speedy mike Thomas in the slot.
brg88tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014   #16
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
did I mention we had no elite TE either?

I understand everyone thinking that since the Pats do it without elite WR's that it must be the system. I'm more in the line of if we don't have AJ, Tom Brady ain't gonna make up for it. I think the system will help though...I'm just not going to try to convince myself that unproven mediocre wr's can replace AJ. Who replaced Earl? Who replaced Hakeem? You can't replace guys like that with chump change. You need to go out and get a real talent. Here was my suggestion in March
That's all I'm saying. I think the system will help in making it less critical to find a true #1 WR. I agree no one will be able to replace AJ.
None of it works without a legit signal caller, though.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014   #17
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 136288 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brg88tx View Post
one of the reasons dre was so dominant is he was targeted 70% of the time. we'll be just fine with Hopkins and Posey with the speedy mike Thomas in the slot.
PatDStat referenced this yesterday on Twitter:

Quote:
PDS @PatDStat ∑ 17h
Realistic question. Would Andre Johnson see 181 targets in this offense? My guess is no.

Retweeted by PDS
Brian Holden @BHolden0226 ∑ 17h
@PatDStat would he in any offense? Was part of our problem. Predictable as hell.

#Texans WRs in 2013 Targets
Andre: 181
Hopkins, Martin, Jean, Posey: 166

#Texans WRs in 2012 Targets
Andre: 164
Walter, Martin, Jean, Posey: 121

I donít know about you but Kubiak was forced to be balanced in 2011 offensively w/o Dre. 5 players with 50+ targets.
Also a part of the reason for Kubiaks demise
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014   #18
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 383864 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post

Or a deceptive use of stats. Top WRs get targeted regardless of coach and system. That's what you do when you have a star.
Old 07-11-2014   #19
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 70160 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post

Quote:
PDS @PatDStat ∑ 17h
Realistic question. Would Andre Johnson see 181 targets in this offense? My guess is no.

Retweeted by PDS
Brian Holden @BHolden0226 ∑ 17h
@PatDStat would he in any offense? Was part of our problem. Predictable as hell.

#Texans WRs in 2013 Targets
Andre: 181
Hopkins, Martin, Jean, Posey: 166

#Texans WRs in 2012 Targets
Andre: 164
Walter, Martin, Jean, Posey: 121

I donít know about you but Kubiak was forced to be balanced in 2011 offensively w/o Dre. 5 players with 50+ targets.
Anquan Boldin: 130 targets
All 7 WRs on the 9ers combined: 112

I guess Harbaugh needs to go too.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014   #20
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
Anquan Boldin: 130 targets
All 7 WRs on the 9ers combined: 112

I guess Harbaugh needs to go too.
AJ got 29% of our targets.

Anquan Bolden got 31% of the Niners' targets. AJ Green got 31% of the Bengals' targets. Brandon Marshall got 28% of the Bears' targets and Jeffery scooped up another 26% of their targets.

I don't think AJs targets were all that out of whack. If you've got a receiver like that, get the ball to him.

OTOH, there were some teams with guys who got fewer targets and maybe that was a mistake. TY Hilton only got 24% and Jimmy Graham got 22%. And other times, maybe a lower percentage really just reflects that you don't have a go-to receiver.... Julian Edelman got 24% of the NE targets.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read