Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 12-13-2014   #1
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 422320 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Tom Brady won't be slowing down anytime soon

Tom Brady won't be slowing down anytime soon
Quote:
The sports therapy center sits adjacent to Gillette Stadium, 500 feet to the northwest, inside a shopping plaza, next to a hair salon. It's a nondescript location but no ordinary rehab facility. There's a VIP entrance, a personal chef and a brain fitness room. The company logo is splashed everywhere: tb12.

It's a November Monday morning in Foxborough, Mass., and the center's owner, Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, has already received treatment and spoken to his neuropsychologist via Skype. The day before, he obliterated the Lions, topping 300 passing yards for the 63rd time, tying Dan Marino for No. 3 on that list. Perhaps he celebrated with ice cream, though his would have been made from raw ingredients, mostly vegetables -- he favors an avocado base with cacao mixed in to mimic chocolate. "Tastes great," Brady says later, not all that convincingly.

The flat screen in the lobby is tuned to SportsCenter; next to it are jars of whey protein and knee braces for sale. Brady is away at the stadium, deep into his routines by now. Forget, for the moment, the supermodel wife, the movie cameos, the designer clothes. That's celebrity camouflage. That's Brady and that's not Brady -- not as it relates to football. His career is built on, defined by and prolonged with routine, even if his life is anything but that. This scrolls across ESPN's ticker: 7 STRAIGHT FOR BRADY, PATRIOTS.

The center is run by a 49-year-old California native with a master's degree in traditional Chinese medicine. Teammates describe Alex Guerrero as Brady's Mr. Miyagi. They say he knows the quarterback's body better than Gisele Bündchen, Brady's wife. "I do have my hands on him a little more than she does," Guerrero says, laughing.

He is Brady's body coach and business partner, and he's one of the main reasons Brady has been able to transform what looked like a lost season into another star turn in a Hall of Fame career. In late September, after a 27-point drubbing by the Chiefs, the more foolish NFL observers suggested that Brady could be near the end. That he should retire. Instead, he's on track for the fourth-best passer rating (100.2) and the third-best interception percentage (1.4%) of his career, with what one might fairly describe as one of the least intimidating sets of wide receivers he's ever had. And how he did that -- with a diet that made him lighter, workouts that made him (relatively) faster and marked improvement in throwing on the run -- speaks directly to his work with Guerrero, and to the center they opened together more than a year ago. It has the Patriots 10-3 and Brady positioned to make another run at the Lombardi Trophy, which has eluded him since 2005.

The two men met through Willie McGinest, the linebacker who played 15 seasons with Guerrero's help. Initially, Guerrero fixed Brady's aching right shoulder. Then it was a sore calf and a damaged groin. Other than one freak injury, a torn left ACL in '08, Brady has not missed any time since he started with Guerrero, about 10 years ago. He is 37 and in his 15th season, and he wants to play into his 40s. Like 45. Like 48. When teammates ask how long, he simply says, "Forever."

"You'll hear people say, Football doesn't define me," says Guerrero. But that's not Brady. "Football isn't what Tom does -- football is Tom. This is who he is."

Let’s start here: Brady is a quarterback whose daily schedule, both in and out of season, is mapped clearly into his 40s. Every day of it, micromanaged. Treatment. Workouts. Food. Recovery. Practice. Rest. And those schedules aren't just for this week, this month, this season. They're for three years. That allows Brady and Guerrero to work in both the short and long terms to, say, increase muscle mass one year and focus on pliability the next. "The whole idea is to program his body to...
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014   #2
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 422320 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Tom Brady won't be slowing down anytime soon

Recalls this I posted in Savage thread...

MMQB 5/26/14 Tom Brady

Quote:
There’s nothing that can wake me up at 5 o’clock in the morning on a Thursday in May like getting ready for a day of football. I want to play a long time. There’s nothing I like doing that’s close to football. What’ll I do when I’m done playing? I don’t know, but I know it won’t be nearly as fun...
Quote:
My favorite Brady line from our 40-minute chat, talking about longevity: “You know, you don’t have to suck when you get older.”

Said Brady: “It’s hard to explain this to people, but the commitment I make, in terms of keeping my body in shape and my nutrition right, should make me healthy. I feel better today than when I was 25, and I know that’s hard for people to believe, but I do. I work at it. Basically, I work all off-season to prepare my body to not get hurt. I can’t help the team if I’m on the sidelines. I’ve got to be durable.”

So he works with [Tom] House, the former baseball pitcher and maestro to many pro quarterbacks and major-league pitchers, and he is diligent about his eating and fitness. But beyond that, he’s not going to help you with specifics.

“It’s all very well-researched,” Brady said. “But that’s for the other guys to figure out. I’m not going to give away any state secrets. I’m not here to be king of the weight room. I do things to make me a better quarterback, whatever they are. Does it work? You be the one to judge. Watch me play. Then draw your own conclusions.”

Since returning at age 32 in 2009 from his one major NFL injury—the knee reconstruction after the injury suffered on opening day 2008—Brady has started all 89 Patriots game. So the durability is spotless, obviously. And the results? It’s pretty amazing to consider that, even with the 16-0, 50-touchdown-pass season of 2007 included in the pre-knee-surgery category, he’s been better in his 30s, and after the knee surgery, than he was in his 20s.
And this reminder...
Quote:
On self-scouting: “Sometimes we’ll be watching tape and [offensive coordinator] Josh McDaniels will say to me, ‘What happened on that play?’ And I’ll say, ‘I missed it. I just missed it.’ Throwing a football is a very, very tough to thing to do consistently well."
Old 12-13-2014   #3
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt
Quote:
Tom Brady needs 1 pass completion to reach 5,000 for his career. Only 4 players have more. Brett Farve leads with 6,300.
Old 12-13-2014   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 335549 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I wonder if Mr. Miyagi (Guerrero) could pencil Clowney in.
Old 12-13-2014   #5
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 139112 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I wonder if Mr. Miyagi (Guerrero) could pencil Clowney in.
I'd go for a Nigerian witch doctor, as long as it works.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Tom Brady frees up $24M for Pats
By Adam Schefter | ESPN
Quote:
In a deal turned into the NFL office Monday, quarterback Tom Brady restructured his contract to give the New England Patriots $24 million more in cash to spend this offseason, according to league sources...

I think JJ just lost the MVP award.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 450917 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Sounds to me like someone just got an illegal under the table guarantee and a raise for doing it.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 335549 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
By Adam Schefter | ESPN

I'm pretty sure Texian said the Patriots don't do that kind of non-sense.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 138237 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Does it get any better than a franchise QB than Brady? Shoot, this is like the 3rd time that he has done this. I'm not sure why he keeps doing it when the Patriots give him such sloppy weapons at the WR position though.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #10
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 450917 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Does it get any better than a franchise QB than Brady? Shoot, this is like the 3rd time that he has done this. I'm not sure why he keeps doing it when the Patriots give him such sloppy weapons at the WR position though.
Total guess but I think geography and family play a role. He's already richer than Midas BUT also uniquely among football players so is his wife and most of her work is in New York or Europe.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #11
dsorc
Veteran

Rep Power: 7032 dsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
By Adam Schefter | ESPN

Easy on there. That wasn't a real re-structure. What they did is unguarantee some of Brady's money to increase cash flow and/or liquidity. Good business move but has no effect on New England's cap situation unless they cut Brady. For his trouble, Brady got a 1 mil per year raise on his salary.
dsorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #12
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 138237 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Total guess but I think geography and family play a role. He's already richer than Midas BUT also uniquely among football players so is his wife and most of her work is in New York or Europe.
Sure, all of those factors make it easier for Tom to do that. He doesn't have to do though, and I think that most guys in his place wouldn't. Hell, most of these athletes still want more money no matter how much you pay them. I think that Tom just wants to win more than anything. It is just hard to believe that their organization hasn't gotten him that much talent at the WR position after he has done this a few times now. Hell, it seems like every year they are stripping him of his weapons, but he still produces ridiculous numbers every year despite that.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

To be clear, I wasn't putting him down at all. Just think he is in a very unique circumstance. It's a lot harder to convince Giselle to go live in St. Louis than Mrs. hard body sorority sue you met at Central Florida.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #14
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
To be clear, I wasn't putting him down at all. Just think he is in a very unique circumstance. It's a lot harder to convince Giselle to go live in St. Louis than Mrs. hard body sorority sue you met at Central Florida.
I didn't think you were. You made a valid point that I think was relevant. They strike me as having a relationship where they could be apart for weeks at time with no problem though. I'm sure she travels a ton being one of the biggest models in the world. I'd imagine that she is probably in Paris and Italy a lot. Plus, Tom seems so driven during the season any way. He has practice and all of the studying they say he does and claims he goes to bed at like 8:30 or something like that.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
By Adam Schefter | ESPN

I keep hearing this makes $24M available to the Patriots for this year... but that's not the case right? This just allows the Patriots to cut him at anytime with no cap ramifications right? He actually gets a raise right?

What used to be a $24M contract is now a $27M contract. .. does this mean the Patriots may be ready to move on without Tom terrific sooner rather than later?
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #16
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 100353 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I keep hearing this makes $24M available to the Patriots for this year... but that's not the case right? This just allows the Patriots to cut him at anytime with no cap ramifications right? He actually gets a raise right?

What used to be a $24M contract is now a $27M contract. .. does this mean the Patriots may be ready to move on without Tom terrific sooner rather than later?
Maybe there's already a deal in place to go to Houston so that money is freed up.
New fan of #21 Kendrick Lewis and #94 Ryan Pickett. ps I just realized why, they TACKLE!

Luke 23:34 Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.”
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #17
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I thought they live in LA?
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #18
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 118128 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't really care for the Pats, but with the way they've run their FO and with them bringing in Grappolo this year, i think they successfully convinced Brady that if he didn't restructure, he would be gone within a year or so...They've been pretty consistent in how they operate with their players...star or no star. For Brady's part, he knows he's in the best possible situation he could be in to win a championship & he's doing what he can to hang on. Between he and Giselle and his endorsements, i'm sure he's not hurting anyway.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #19
Troy Chapman
Veteran

Rep Power: 45174 Troy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Just means they don't have to set aside $24m into an escrow account for Brady. Can use that available cash for GTD pay for other players. Definitely not a cap move. Just a cash flow move. The amount of dead money on Brady's deal just decreased by $24m.

Regardless, Brady is still way under paid when compared to other QB's. He continues to help the Pats organization. I think they will extend Brady after 2015 to add on 3 more years.
Troy Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #20
robroy72
Veteran

Rep Power: 6817 robroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Chapman View Post
Just means they don't have to set aside $24m into an escrow account for Brady. Can use that available cash for GTD pay for other players. Definitely not a cap move. Just a cash flow move. The amount of dead money on Brady's deal just decreased by $24m.

Regardless, Brady is still way under paid when compared to other QB's. He continues to help the Pats organization. I think they will extend Brady after 2015 to add on 3 more years.
Isn't he already under contract until age 43?
robroy72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read