Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

View Poll Results: Which rookie QB starts soonest?
Jaguars QB Blake Bortles 13 22.03%
Browns QB Johnny Manziel 10 16.95%
Vikings QB Teddy Bridgewater 28 47.46%
Raiders QB Derek Carr 6 10.17%
Texans QB Tom Savage 1 1.69%
Titans QB Zach Mettenberger 1 1.69%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-24-2014   #1
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Which rookie QB starts soonest?

Which rookie QB starts soonest?

Placed in draft order, excluding most unlikely...
Jaguars QB Blake Bortles

Browns QB Johnny Manziel

Vikings QB Teddy Bridgewater

Raiders QB Derek Carr

Texans QB Tom Savage

Titans QB Zach Mettenberger
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014   #2
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96241 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Which rookie QB starts soonest?

TB gets 1st crack....There are already stories coming about how he has surprised the coaching staff with how well he's picking up the playbook, his work habits and whatnot. We could very well see the same situation as what happened in Seattle with Russell Wilson where they just can't justify holding him back.

After that, i believe its either Derek Carr or Manziel. Carr b/c Schaub's likely to get injured playing behind that OL and no real support on offense. Manziel b/c of the fan/owner outcry and/or another injury to Hoyer.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014   #3
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112833 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm going to go with either Bridgewater or (surprise) Mettenberger. I think Locker can't avoid injury.
Old 06-24-2014   #4
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88550 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

I think TB is the starter for the first pre-season game coming out of camp so the best someone else can do is tie him, IMO.

So if I'm voting for next after him I'd take Derek Carr, then Bortles.

I don't think Schaub is going to last as the starter long in Oakland and I just think Bortles is the next most likely after that.

Manziel may get in there...I don't know...I doubt he actually beats out the QB ahead of him and I think if he plays it'll be because the team isn't doing well overall...
xtruroyaltyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014   #5
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 87002 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Bridgewater has apparently looked awesome in camp and has nobody in front of him worth a crap. I think he is the most sure fire day one starter and that we're going to kick ourselves for not trading up with Seattle to get him just because he's not a system fit.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014   #6
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 87068 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Bortles and Bridgewater are going to be starting week 1. Bortles is already popular in Orlando and the Jags are going to pick up some fans here as soon as he is starting.

Bridge is a no brainer and whom I initially wanted the Texans to grab.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014   #7
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Code:
First-Round Rookie QBs Since Merger

1970-2007	2008-13
Pct starting Week 1	   20%	          69%
Average starts	           5.4	         12.3
Win pct	                  37.4%	         45.7%
TD/Int ratio	           0.7	          1.1
Quote:
A look at rookie first-round QBs since the merger by the numbers.

5 – Each of the last 5 quarterbacks drafted in the first round started in Week 1 of their rookie seasons, the longest streak since the merger.

78 – 78 percent of quarterbacks drafted in the first round started at least one game as rookies (71 of 91).

49 – 49 percent of first-round quarterbacks started within their team’s first five games in their rookie seasons (45 of 91).

3 – Teams that draft a quarterback in the top five are even more unlikely to sit him as a rookie. Only three of the 41 quarterbacks drafted in the top five did not start a game as a rookie.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/
Sponsored links
Old 07-27-2014   #8
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89849 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Bridgewater, IMO. Manziel is already in the doghouse and the new staff seems like to be giving Hoyer a pretty long leash. Jags seem dead-set on giving Bortles a redshirt year (which I agree with). Carr will probably get starts but the Radiers seem to have a lot of faith in Schaub. We have no intention of starting Savage just like the Titans have no intention of starting Mett.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014   #9
Lucky

Rep Power: 155554 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Manziel starts first, as Hoyer will show in preseason that he's not the answer.

Bridgewater could start, but I think Zimmer wants to give the vet Cassel a chance first.

Henne is better than Bortles, right now. Bradley wants to win more than develop players. If they aren't competitive early, Bortles will come in.

Carr will start when the Raiders are out of postseason consideration. About week 8, I'd say.

There will have to be a lot of injuries or losses for Savage or Mettenberger to see the field, as they are both 3rd string.
Old 07-27-2014   #10
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Bridgewater, IMO. Manziel is already in the doghouse and the new staff seems like to be giving Hoyer a pretty long leash. Jags seem dead-set on giving Bortles a redshirt year (which I agree with). Carr will probably get starts but the Radiers seem to have a lot of faith in Schaub. We have no intention of starting Savage just like the Titans have no intention of starting Mett.
^^^^
This

TB is already splitting reps with Cassel
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014   #11
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 54908 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

I said Carr because his competition is Schaub.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014   #12
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Bridgewater will definitely be forced into the lineup the soonest. In the draft, he was considered the most NFL-ready BUT... we'll see how long that lasts.

I think the Jags want to let Bortles develop at his own pace and they're not going to try to push him too hard or too quickly, but I don't know how successful they're going to be at that.

I had thought Savage would be pressed into duty pretty quick -- within the first 4 games -- but I'm starting to think I was wrong. Granted, it's only been a couple of days of TC and there's a long way to go but from the reports, Fitz is looking a lot better than I expected and Savage is looking like a rookie. I think the coaches and FO want Savage to develop but I don't think they feel any pressure to force him onto the field before he's ready.

I just wish he'd get ready quicker than anyone has a reasonable right to expect.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014   #13
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I said Carr because his competition is Schaub.
Ditto.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014   #14
JPPT1974
Autumn Winds

Rep Power: 864 JPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respected

Fans want Johnny M but really think it will be TB as Cassel will start like week 1 and if he falters, TB will be ready to go! From there on out in MN!
Old 07-29-2014   #15
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Voted Bridgewater. Texans were this close (one pick away). I don't know who to be more angry at? The Texans who didn't try to trade up (or maybe they did but Rick failed)? The Vikings for jumping just ahead of Texans? Or Hawks for making trade to begin with living life of Kings after winning the Superbowl & thinking they didn't need to add a much better OL prospect than Britt?

After preseason, barring injury, don't see how Teddy is not week one starter

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014   #16
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Voted Bridgewater. Texans were this close (one pick away). I don't know who to be more angry at? The Texans who didn't try to trade up (or maybe they did but Rick failed)? The Vikings for jumping just ahead of Texans? Or Hawks for making trade to begin with living life of Kings after winning the Superbowl & thinking they didn't need to add a much better OL prospect than Britt?

After preseason, barring injury, don't see how Teddy is not week one starter
I do not believe that TB was the Texan's guy at 33. Even if the Vikings hadn't jumped ahead of them, I don't think they would have taken him. Their interest in him, what wasn't purely manufactured by the media, was totally a smokescreen to keep people from knowing who they were really after and how they really had players graded.

So if you're going to be mad at the Texans FO for something, be mad at them for not wanting TB to begin with.
Old 07-29-2014   #17
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I do not believe that TB was the Texan's guy at 33. Even if the Vikings hadn't jumped ahead of them, I don't think they would have taken him. Their interest in him, what wasn't purely manufactured by the media, was totally a smokescreen to keep people from knowing who they were really after and how they really had players graded.

So if you're going to be mad at the Texans FO for something, be mad at them for not wanting TB to begin with.
regardless still comes down to Rick Smith/Bill O'Brian.

His epic pro-day gloves off debacle should have been flushed down the toilet, watched enough game film to know he was the most Pro-Ready QB, over Bortles, Texans needed to address QB & passed, even @ fair value point

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014   #18
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96241 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

See, i disagree. I think Rick & BoB trusted their board a little too much & after seeing TB slide all the way down like he did, they took for granted that he'd probably be there at 33...especially when he got to within 1 pick....After all every team had already passed on him & there was no reason to believe that that 1 team who hadn't was going to pick him......

On the one hand, you can't fault the FO for believing in their board and trying to hold onto all their picks to maximize the amount of talent they could bring in...The team needs more talent just about everywhere just as bad as it needs a qb. On the other you could say if a guy you like gets that close, you need to go ahead and snatch him.

What happened at 33 happened again to the FO with the pick of Jimmy Garapolo. I think they had eyes for him as their next viable guy after Bridgewater but the hoodie snatched him just before we got to pick. All in all though i think they valued TB and Garapolo about the same and would've been fine getting either of those guys in the 2nd or 3rd.
Old 07-29-2014   #19
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

And at 33, everyone was convinced that we were going to take either Carr or Garoppolo.

I don't think the Texan's board was set up the way anyone thought it was; I don't think they valued the guys people thought they did or wanted them to.
Old 07-29-2014   #20
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

[quote=The Pencil Neck;2361710]And at 33, everyone was convinced that we were going to take either Carr or Garoppolo.

I don't think the Texan's board was set up the way anyone thought it was; I don't think they valued the guys people thought they did or wanted them to.[/QUOTE]

This is a certainty.....however the other 2 guys largely weren't projected as 1st rounders...TB was solidly projected as a 1st rounder. So it would've been interesting to see what they would've done had he slipped to them in the 2nd round..Would they have felt compelled to move him up their board and take him simply b/c he was a 1st round talent that fell out of the 1st round.... or would they have stuck to thier board anyway & did what they did.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read