Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 06-14-2014   #1
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27155 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Brandon Flowers-CB released by Kansas City

Anyone have interest in Brandon Flowers since he's now been released by KC? He was a Pro Bowl CB recently but had a down season last year in a new system. I'm not good at the money side of things so I don't know what he'd cost us or if we have the cap space, but I'm thinking Flowers is a good CB that's still young and the Texans should be showing some serious interest in signing him.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...as-city-chiefs
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014   #2
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brandon Flowers-CB released by Kansas City

Loved him at VTech and in the pros. Yes, please.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014   #3
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, didn't he have his best years under Crennel? I was thinking about us going after him the moment I saw the news. JoJo had a down year himself and KJ is entering a contract year. With those 3, we should have one of the best CB combinations in the league.

But I am not good with the money side either. If we can get him for cheap it`d be a no brainer. Imagine a pass rush that actually gets good time, because the receivers aren't open in the first 3 seconds - oh and now imagine a pass rush with JJ Watt, Clowney and Mercilus/Cushing/Reed all while Nix is demanding a doulbe team in the middle...
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014   #4
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 71588 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Anyone have interest in Brandon Flowers since he's now been released by KC? He was a Pro Bowl CB recently but had a down season last year in a new system. I'm not good at the money side of things so I don't know what he'd cost us or if we have the cap space, but I'm thinking Flowers is a good CB that's still young and the Texans should be showing some serious interest in signing him.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...as-city-chiefs
Can he play Tackle?
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014   #5
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

How much money do we have left? I'm not sure we have enough to pay a player of his caliber. And I doubt he'd take much of a discount if any to play in a system he was successful in.

He would be quite the addition though and would take our secondary to the next level.
Old 06-14-2014   #6
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

If that number here is correct, we'd have more than 8 million available:

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Texans&Year=2014

Problem is we have Watt coming up for a huge payday. But with Flowers we'd have more options next season, when KJs contract is up and we could cut JoJo and save a bunch of money. I guess Flowers would demand at least something around 5 million a year. That should be doable.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014   #7
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 306681 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Kansas City Chiefs have released CB Brandon Flowers from his five year, $48.75 million contract extension that he signed in 2011. Flowers had been scheduled to earn a $250,000 workout bonus, $2 million upon reporting to training camp, and another $5.25 million in base salary for the season. In 2015 he was scheduled to earn the same workout bonus and $6.25 million in base salary. It is possible he earned his 2014 workout bonus but the rest of the money will all disappear from the books. All told the $48.75 million extension turned into a two year deal worth $24 million.

The release leaves the Chiefs with $3 million in dead money in 2014 and another $4 million in dead money in 2015. This dead money comes from the remaining prorations of a $10 million signing bonus paid in 2011 and another $4 million bonus paid just last year for salary cap relief.

The move will create $7.5 million ($7.25 million if the workout was earned) in cap space for Kansas City in 2014 and another $7.5 million in 2015. This is much needed room for the Chiefs who will likely need the space to extend QB Alex Smith and pass rusher Justin Houston, both in the final seasons of their contracts.
http://overthecap.com/chiefs-release-brandon-flowers/
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-14-2014   #8
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

I wonder if he would take a 1 year "prove yourself" type of deal because most teams have spent their big free agent money already? If so, it would be pretty awesome to have him on the defense. Then next season we re-sign whoever is the best fit between him and KJ. Then pay Watt.

I'd really like to see what our defense can do with KJ covering the slot receiver. And Flowers would give us that flexibility.
Old 06-14-2014   #9
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I imagine the Lions or possibly the Falcons are going to pay a ton to get this guy into their building. I doubt we're going to come up with the cash to get him to come here unless he wants to be reunited with RAC.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014   #10
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I imagine the Lions or possibly the Falcons are going to pay a ton to get this guy into their building. I doubt we're going to come up with the cash to get him to come here unless he wants to be reunited with RAC.
Detroit has very little cap room left, so if they're going to pay Peter, they'll have to rob Paul.

You may very well be right, but at this point in the NFL calendar year, I think a player is going to have to be very special to get money thrown at him. That kind of player is pretty rare in Mid-June, and my guess is that nobody views Flowers as that. I'm thinking a team considered to be a contender offers him a year at a couple of million, and sells it as a chance to get a ring, and earn a big payday for 2015.
Old 06-14-2014   #11
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Detroit has very little cap room left, so if they're going to pay Peter, they'll have to rob Paul.

You may very well be right, but at this point in the NFL calendar year, I think a player is going to have to be very special to get money thrown at him. That kind of player is pretty rare in Mid-June, and my guess is that nobody views Flowers as that. I'm thinking a team considered to be a contender offers him a year at a couple of million, and sells it as a chance to get a ring, and earn a big payday for 2015.
I hadn't realized Detroit was that cash-strapped.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014   #12
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I read Arrowhead Pride and they were saying that Flowers was not at OTA and was looking for a pay raise to the tune of $50M over 3 seasons.

It's difficult to see how the Texans can afford that.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014   #13
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I read Arrowhead Pride and they were saying that Flowers was not at OTA and was looking for a pay raise to the tune of $50M over 3 seasons.

It's difficult to see how the Texans can afford that.
...And is & will be still "looking". Just don't see any team ponying up that kinda jack for Mr. Flowers. My gut says when his phone fails to ring or vibrate he'll come back to his senses. The one year "prove it" deal sounds about right. Where ever he ends up.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014   #14
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 306681 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Brandon Flowers Pricing Himself Too High
Quote:
There are many teams interested in signing former Chiefs cornerback Brandon Flowers. After being cut by Kansas City, Flowers is expected to select his new team this week. However, Flowers' contract demands have limited his options. Sources with a few teams said the reason that it has taken time for Flowers to find a landing spot is because he has priced himself out of the market for a number of teams.

Teams ultimately expect Flowers to sign a 1- or 2-year deal that could essentially be a 1-year contract with an option to get out of the second year. They don't anticipate Flowers signing a long-term pact.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014   #15
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

And there it is...

Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora
Quote:
Chargers have agreed to terms with CB Brandon Flowers
Old 06-24-2014   #16
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 215632 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter · 10m
Chargers reached agreement on a one-year deal with former Chiefs CB Brandon Flowers, as @JasonLaCanfora reported.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014   #17
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 35618 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Do the Chargers even need Brandon Flowers? They have a 1st round pick in Jason Verrett.
Old 06-24-2014   #18
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
Do the Chargers even need Brandon Flowers? They have a 1st round pick in Jason Verrett.
Yes, they needed two new CBs.
Old 06-24-2014   #19
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 215632 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ian RapoportVerified account ‏@RapSheet

CB Brandon Flowers’ 1-year deal with the #Chargers is worth up to $5M, I’m told. Can prove himself in 2014, cash in again at 29
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014   #20
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 88409 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Good deal for him.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read