Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2014   #61
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: #Texans trade QB T.J. Yates to Falcons for LB Akeem Dent

I've been watching Dent and he seems to be a fairly solid ILB.
His play is at least comparable to Joe Mays and Sharpton last year.
He's at least a good backup; that is, if his ankle doesn't give him problem.

He was the starter until he injured the ankle during the fourth game.
In his absence, the Falcons might have found a gem from a small school.
This guy's numbers at his pro day were pretty incredible:

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2013/8/...ro-day-numbers

Dent can at least play in the base package adequately, again, if his ankles hold up.
He doesn't excel at anything, nor is he terrible - and that spells backup.

They normally used him at the MO, and he looked so-so covering the RBs and in zone coverage.

In the meantime, Yates has a great chance to be Matt Ryan's backup.
It's a really good situation for him.
He has a better chance to make the roster than Keenum, believe it or not.
Old 06-20-2014   #62
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 306681 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

T.J. Yates: 'it kind of hits you when you walk out of that building for the last time'
Quote:
"I was very down when I realized I was being let go, thought I was being let go," Yates said in an interview with FOX 26 Sports. "Then All of the sudden I'm
traded to my hometown team and I couldn't be happier now. It's a great situation for me and my wife. Both of our families are from Atlanta."
"Honestly, when you realize you're leaving a team that you've been with for so long and you create so many relationships with both players and coaches and fans and media personnel, it kind of hits you when you walk out of that building for the last time."
And Yates will be right back in Houston during the preseason when the Falcons practice against the Texans during the second week of the preseason, with the two teams playing at NRG Stadium on Aug. 16.

"That's going to be fun," Yates said. "It's going to be really weird, actually, to be walking out onto that field as an opponent. It's going to be really weird because I'm going to be seeing all of the same faces that I always see, my former teammates. It's going to be a weird moment.

"It'll be fun."

And Yates has a message for Texans fans.

"I'd just thank them for all of the support." Yates said. "It's been an amazing three years.

"I'm never going to forget the times that I had here, on and off the field. I'm really going to miss this town."
Old 06-20-2014   #63
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 283140 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Just as we remember Billy Miller catching the very first TD in Texans history, we'll always remember TJ as the QB in our very first playoff victory.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Old 06-20-2014   #64
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 48499 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

At least we got something ...
Old 06-20-2014   #65
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Nope.
Is that because he's still on his rookie contract and not yet vested? Anyone?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
Old 06-20-2014   #66
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Is that because he's still on his rookie contract and not yet vested? Anyone?
No. You don't get a comp pick for releasing players. You get them when their contacts run out.
Old 06-20-2014   #67
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
No. You don't get a comp pick for releasing players. You get them when their contacts run out.
Thanks. So it has nothing to do whether or not the player is vested yet?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
Sponsored links
Old 06-20-2014   #68
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 337617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Thank god Yates is finally gone.

At least now I won't have to hear the homers in here clamoring at the ridiculous idea that he would have ever been a starter here much less lead a team to a SB like many in here were spewing a few years ago.
Wait...are you talking about Yates or Case Keenum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Just as we remember Billy Miller catching the very first TD in Texans history, we'll always remember TJ as the QB in our very first playoff victory.
Yep, that was a really fun year. I took my son and best bud to that first playoff game. Win or lose, we were happy to be at that first playoff game in franchise history.

TJ threw Andre his first post-season TD pass in our endzone, which was the same endzone that JJ Watt made the swat that would become a pick 6 for him.

That was one of those events that I hope to never forget. I appreciate TJ for that alone, even though I never expected him to be anything much after that point.
Old 06-20-2014   #69
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 71588 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Rick is getting to be a real slicker, and I mean that in a complimentary way.
He's making moves to capture value or potential value for our team in exchange for unwanted, discarded players. And I dunno, but where was crack Texans-beat-journalist McClain when this deal was going down, chowing down on What-a-Burgers and watching flics ?
You can compliment Rick without disparaging McLain. I do tire of the attacks on weight which have no bearing on job performance. We had it with Purpora and now with McLain. Just make the case for incompetence and leave the attacks on looks out of it.
Old 06-20-2014   #70
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 71588 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Actually a bit of a sneaky move by Rick. The timing/announcement was a bit odd. Then Dave Zangero noted nothing had come across the league wire, and that happens pretty quickly. So Rick put the league on blast that TJ was coming available and the competition began. We'll see if Dent can contribute on special teams, but at worst we got a lemon for nothing.
It's either a Lemon or Lemonaide...
Old 06-20-2014   #71
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull View Post
Now all they need to do is get rid of the other joke named Keenum and the purge will be complete.

Sent from the future...
What an appropriate name.
Old 06-20-2014   #72
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
You don't automatically get a comp pick just because a contract runs out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Thanks. So it has nothing to do whether or not the player is vested yet?
No and yes.

The formula to determine the comp picks was never made public, but it has been derived that money does matter.)

Every year, there are players whose contracts run out with their respective teams.
Barwin, for example, finishes with his contract in 2012.
He became an UFA.
He was free to negotiate a new contract with any team in the league.
He decided to sign with the Eagles for 6 years, worth a total of $36M with $8M guaranteed.
All these figures are qualifiers for the Texans in the possibility of obtaining a comp pick.
Barwin went on to play 1,207 snaps for the Eagles.
That's among the tops of any position in the NFL.
This is a figure considered in the formula.
They combine to make Barwin a "high quality" free agents that the Texans lost.
(If Barwin received recognitions and awards with the Eagles, like making the Pro-Bowl or voted Superbowl MVP, his value would increase further.)

The Texans signed 3 free agents (who qualified in the consideration to determine the comp picks) and lost 6.
That's a net loss of 3.

The league looks at all the numbers of these free agents and compare them with the numbers from the other teams.

The team with the "worst" net loss gets the most compensation in form of compensatory picks.

So if you define "vested" as finishing up a 4-yr rookie contract, than the answer is yes.
However, it doesn't automatically gets the Texans a comp pick.
Let's take an extreme example, if nobody had signed Barwin, including the Texans (resigning him.)
The Texans would have lost a free agent that doesn't qualified in the considerations for comp pick.

Clear as mud?
Old 06-22-2014   #73
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
sad that he's the only QB in texan history to win a playoff game.
Wrong but thanks for playing.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
Old 06-22-2014   #74
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
matt schaub doesnt count.
Amazing, you apparently understand how we feel about you!
Old 06-22-2014   #75
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Amazing, you apparently understand how we feel about you!
He and Texian need a chat room .

Round Dan
Old 06-22-2014   #76
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Rep Power: 86216 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish

Quote:
you love me.

you just dont know it yet.

texantalk feels like it has a good old texas boy network feel to it.
Yea, and next you will be calling us racist too. It does get very Clique-ish in here at times, but Good Ole' Boy? Not so much.

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Old 06-22-2014   #77
Troy Chapman
Veteran

Rep Power: 17471 Troy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
I'd like to agree with you, but I think this was more "the phone started ringing" and teams farther down the waiver wire didn't want to risk losing out.
Would Yates even hit the waiver wire? Or was he vested enough to become a free agent and not hit the waiver wire? Odd that Atlanta was 5th on the waiver wire but was afraid of other teams getting him?
Old 06-22-2014   #78
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
you love me.

Love/pitty... something like that...
Old 06-22-2014   #79
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
you love me.

It's more like when I had a really bad case of poison ivy in 07 . You can't scratch it so you try to ignore it .

Round Dan
Old 06-23-2014   #80
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 237388 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
matt schaub doesnt count.
So now you're re-writing NFL records to suit your point of view?

Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read