Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2014   #21
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 53144 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: #Texans trade QB T.J. Yates to Falcons for LB Akeem Dent

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
I'd like to agree with you, but I think this was more "the phone started ringing" and teams farther down the waiver wire didn't want to risk losing out.
Well the only teams in font of the Falcons are:
Redskins
Jaguars
Browns*
Raiders
Old 06-19-2014   #22
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214275 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Most exciting event since we got a 6th for Matt.

...pending dent passes physical exam.
I'm surprised - again - Rick Smith gets something for nothing.

And I heard on the radio that "7 or 8 teams" inquired about Yates after O'Brien announced that Keenum was to be 2nd string and Yates would be released. My question is who else "inquired" and who decided that Dent was to be the pick-up.

And the answer to the "how can we trade someone we'd cut" is we never officially cut him. Apparently, the Texans' phones started ringing before the front office could process the release forms.
Old 06-19-2014   #23
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202278 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Obsiwan,

I'm not so sure we got something for nothing.
Old 06-19-2014   #24
Giant Tiger
Hall of Fame

Location: Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO World Heritage Site
Rep Power: 9888 Giant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Re: #Texans trade QB T.J. Yates to Falcons for LB Akeem Dent

Quote:
Most exciting event since we got a 6th for Matt.

...pending dent passes physical exam.
So did we get more for Yates or Schaub?
Old 06-19-2014   #25
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

I doubt he makes the team but it's nice that we were able to get something for TJ rather than outright cutting him. Gives this linebacker a chance to make a DENT on this defense and surprise us.
Old 06-19-2014   #26
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 115739 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Obsiwan,

I think if there's any chance whatsoever that Dent can contribute to the team in any way, then yes, we did get something for nothing. IMO, ay least
Old 06-19-2014   #27
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Obsiwan,

Well, then that's OK too. At least the Texans got another player to take a look at out of the deal. That's a huge improvement over the Texans old way of doing things.
Old 06-19-2014   #28
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214275 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Obsiwan,

My thinking is we got a possible special teams addition for a guy we were about to let hit the street (Yates).

Dent was a 3rd round pick in 2011 and a starter in Atlanta during the 2012 season when they finished 13-3...
Alright, Cloak... Spill it.
What's the lowdown on this guy.
Did injuries knock him out of his starters job?
Old 06-19-2014   #29
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Actually a bit of a sneaky move by Rick. The timing/announcement was a bit odd. Then Dave Zangero noted nothing had come across the league wire, and that happens pretty quickly. So Rick put the league on blast that TJ was coming available and the competition began. We'll see if Dent can contribute on special teams, but at worst we got a lemon for nothing.
Old 06-19-2014   #30
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69514 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was thinking the same. For that matter, where were any of the HT.com reporters? I am quickly getting very discouraged by the poor/false reporting on this team......even on non-secretive issues.
I mean, they even told TJ he was gonna be released, and the news didn't break until late last night. I think we found out about it as soon as anyone knew.

Reminded me of why you don't prod the bear.
Old 06-19-2014   #31
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
WTF? Was he traded or cut?
Traded ...apparently.
Old 06-19-2014   #32
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202278 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTexan View Post
I mean, they even told TJ he was gonna be released, and the news didn't break until late last night. I think we found out about it as soon as anyone knew.
Apparently, he wanted to go to the Ravens and the Ravens wanted him. I wonder if TJ has the same good thoughts towards the Texans as when he tweeted?
Old 06-19-2014   #33
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock
Quote:
HBO trades Akeem Dent for TJ Yates. It's a "Hard Knocks" life for TJ.
Welcome to "Hollywood", Mr. Yates.

Quote:
Apparently, he wanted to go to the Ravens and the Ravens wanted him...
Ravens knew what was going on and decided they would only submit a waiver wire claim -- which they would have lost because ATL was still ahead of BAL on the w.w. Ozzie was out-Ozzied this time.

More than a few teams felt TJ was an upgrade at their backup QB spot, but you just don't give up much for that at this time of year.
Old 06-19-2014   #34
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
My thinking is we got a possible special teams addition for a guy we were about to let hit the street (Yates).

Dent was a 3rd round pick in 2011 and a starter in Atlanta during the 2012 season when they finished 13-3...
Alright, Cloak... Spill it.
What's the lowdown on this guy.
Did injuries knock him out of his starters job?
Akeem had absolutely no injury history until last year when in the early goings he sustained a shoulder injury, then dealt with his ankle injury (began as a severe high ankle sprain for which he was initially booted) from the 5th week on. He was to undergo an ankle cleanup in mid Feb of this year, but a second opinion changed his mind.....and his team wasn't going to push it since they had already made plans for his replacement by players already on the team.

His injuries were the coup d'tat. He never lived up to his 3rd round pick. Before the last season, there was talk of him sinking to the bottom of the depth chart. The way I see it, we have picked up a very marginal player that furthermore has a decent possibility of playing as a cripple until surgery is performed. And then, who knows.
Old 06-19-2014   #35
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Actually a bit of a sneaky move by Rick. The timing/announcement was a bit odd. Then Dave Zangero noted nothing had come across the league wire, and that happens pretty quickly. So Rick put the league on blast that TJ was coming available and the competition began. We'll see if Dent can contribute on special teams, but at worst we got a lemon for nothing.
Yeah, it was a very shrewd move. Kinda caught me by suprise that ol Rick could be that tricky.
Old 06-19-2014   #36
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86538 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Wait...aren't we practicing with the Falcons? So we're gonna watch Yates go against us on Hard Knocks?
Old 06-19-2014   #37
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Akeem had absolutely no injury history until last year when in the early goings he sustained a shoulder injury, then dealt with his ankle injury (began as a severe high ankle sprain for which he was initially booted) from the 5th week on. He was to undergo an ankle cleanup in mid Feb of this year, but a second opinion changed his mind.....and his team wasn't going to push it since they had already made plans for his replacement by players already on the team.

His injuries were the coup d'tat. He never lived up to his 3rd round pick. Before the last season, there was talk of him sinking to the bottom of the depth chart. The way I see it, we have picked up a very marginal player that furthermore has a decent possibility of playing as a cripple until surgery is performed. And then, who knows.
They got a 2012 starter (Dent) off of a 13-3 team because he got injured last yr. Hopefully Dent recovers and regains his 2012 form. Or atleast becomes a valuable ST's guy. If not then they really didn't lose anything because they were going to cut Yates anyway. (Glass half full)
Old 06-19-2014   #38
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They should announce that Keenum is going to be cut to see if any interested parties inquire about him.
Old 06-19-2014   #39
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
They got a 2012 starter (Dent) off of a 13-3 team because he got injured last yr. Hopefully Dent recovers and regains his 2012 form. Or atleast becomes a valuable ST's guy. If not then they really didn't lose anything because they were going to cut Yates anyway. (Glass half full)
If anyone was considering surgery for a long-standing high ankle sprain, it means that the ankle was unstable and continuing to grind the joint. Caldwell followed the same course without surgery and continued re-injuring the same ankle, then in compensation sustained a high ankle sprain of the other ankle which he continued to re-injure, never truly ever making it back to respectability. Ever since he left the Texans, he has been tried out by several teams and never offered a contract.
Old 06-19-2014   #40
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dent also emerged from the 2011 draft—as the next Atlanta pick after Dimitroff made a bold trade, moving up in the first round to acquire standout wide receiver Julio Jones. At age 26, the best may still be yet to come for Dent. Texans defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel may be the coach to elevate his game.

The move makes a lot of sense for both teams, as each player still has room to develop. For the Falcons, they have to be thankful Houston has a crowded quarterback room. Yates can make all the required throws and has flashed the ability to be a serviceable second-stringer.

But the Texans also came away winners here. They created less convolution in their QB situation, which is admittedly far less promising than Atlanta's. At the same time, they added insurance to the front seven, which is smart since Pro Bowl inside linebacker Brian Cushing is coming off a torn LCL and broken fibula.
http://bleacherreport.com/nfl

He had 51 tackles 1.5 sacks in 2013

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read