Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2014   #181
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 337617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: #Texans trade QB T.J. Yates to Falcons for LB Akeem Dent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Without getting into all the sanctimonious bovine manure, it was one of the very few times I have ever felt compelled in insult someone on a message board. Looking back and after further review, I still feel it was deservedly so. Although it may have been insulting to 12 and 15 year olds. I guess comparison to a gnat, flea or a fly would've been more appropriate. You act as if I went infantrycak.
I don't know about sanctimonious bovine manure, or even if that comment was directed at me, but I guess meeting many of the folks from Texans Talk at tailgating parties gives me a different perspective.

For instance, the guy you were going back and forth with - Honoring Earl 34 - is a solid dude. He's a smartass, and it appears the more you seem to get riled up about disagreement, the more sarcastic he gets with it.

As far as 12-15 year olds, I know quite a few due to my son and involvement with various youth groups, and trust me when I say that you are not talking to 12-15 year olds. First, none of them give a crap about the navel-gazing exercise of salary cap numbers and other front office stuff, and secondly, their replies to you would have presented a very vast lack of respect for your opinions and even you as a person. And these would be the good 12-15 year olds that I know have their acts together.

I'm not acting anything. Whatever you and infantrycak have been you is between you and infantrycak. You just seem unable to handle a difference of opinion without blasting people as groupthink, sheep, koolaide drinkers, and whatever else you need to marginalize folks because they disagree. That says everything about you, not them.
Old 07-14-2014   #182
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I don't know about sanctimonious bovine manure, or even if that comment was directed at me, but I guess meeting many of the folks from Texans Talk at tailgating parties gives me a different perspective.

For instance, the guy you were going back and forth with - Honoring Earl 34 - is a solid dude. He's a smartass, and it appears the more you seem to get riled up about disagreement, the more sarcastic he gets with it.

As far as 12-15 year olds, I know quite a few due to my son and involvement with various youth groups, and trust me when I say that you are not talking to 12-15 year olds. First, none of them give a crap about the navel-gazing exercise of salary cap numbers and other front office stuff, and secondly, their replies to you would have presented a very vast lack of respect for your opinions and even you as a person. And these would be the good 12-15 year olds that I know have their acts together.

I'm not acting anything. Whatever you and infantrycak have been you is between you and infantrycak. You just seem unable to handle a difference of opinion without blasting people as groupthink, sheep, koolaide drinkers, and whatever else you need to marginalize folks because they disagree. That says everything about you, not them.
Wow ... thanks DB I didn't know you cared .

I find a lot of times guys who throw punches have glass jaws . Mojo used to go with the you're dumb and I'm not card and now he's gone , for the better I must say .

At the end of the day , I view this as a bunch of guys and girls sitting in a drive talking about anything that comes up . Then there's that one know it all who keeps repeating the same point because he wants to be heard . This is not in a dry comedic sense but in a Howard Cosell way . Oh well he's harmless .

Round Dan
Old 07-14-2014   #183
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57885 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

I call them as I see DB. Analytical, 1+1=2, I am who I am. An independent outside the box thinker. Fans come in all shapes and sizes including those who derive their opinions from group think (a lot of media), those who get their ideas from public opinion (a lot of media), sheep and those fans who only want to hear, see and believe positive things about their team, true and untrue, even if at times it resorts to living in Fantasy Land, the Kool Aid drinkers. They're who they're. I'm not marginalizing or blasting them. We're all fans who just see it different.

I know these are the folks who don't like me, detest any post of mine that doesn't paint the Texans in a positive light. In their eye I'm arrogant, a pessimist, cynical, irritating and an annoyance. Much like the hated sports announcer because he's not saying nice things about my team and likes the other team better. That's not why I'm here. I tell it like I see it and it is easy to see that most here disagree with me. If I was trying to be Mr. Popular and make everyone like me I would be be blowing Texans smoke up everyone's hiney. Contrary to popular belief I don't see myself as disagreeing all that much. I often feel that some are attacking, blasting and trying to marginalize me. On the other hand I do spend a large amount of time defending what I write because many people like yourself inquire about the content of my post.

If defending my position is disagreeing then so be it, not much I can do about that. But what's wrong with disagreeing? I think most get angry or irritated because they see my defending my position as disagreeing with them. I see it it as more of a position of, I am right and here's why and not so much as a position of you're wrong and here's why. I'm not full of, the Texans are on their way to the Super Bowl, not unless there is a reason to believe that anyways. You will find, if you choose to look, that many of my post are in direct responses, most congenial in nature, to those who have directly addressed me. Much like this post. It's the polite thing to do. See posts #161, #162, #169, #171, #174, #182 and this post in this thread for examples.

Last edited by Texian; 07-14-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-14-2014   #184
Troy Chapman
Veteran

Rep Power: 17471 Troy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
From my point of view this team has not done anything to get better. To the contrary IMHO they've taken several steps backwards from the team they were last year. Then again I'm not full of hope and glimmer. I kinda of see things for the way they are and not how I want them to be. To be completely honest.

When I see the Texans have some of the worst salary cap in the league I accept it for what it is. I don't try to convince myself that it's OK and everything will be fine and manufacture excuses for why having no salary cap space is a good thing. I know when you have little or no cap space and your competition has ample, you're at a distinct disadvantage. Is what it is. There for I suffer less disappointments and I'm also more right in my thinking and analysis because of my honest straight forward thinking instead of wishing and hoping. Make sense?
I don't feel that I am making excuses, I am just explaining how it see and understand it. Clearly we disagree on this, which is fine, that's how it is supposed to be. I feel that understand why the decisions were made except with a few over the past 3 years. And the consequences of those decisions are what brings the Houston Texans to this point.

But, again, I feel the Texans are headed in the right direction in terms of the team and salary cap situation. That is all.
Old 07-14-2014   #185
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57885 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Chapman View Post
I don't feel that I am making excuses, I am just explaining how it see and understand it. Clearly we disagree on this, which is fine, that's how it is supposed to be. I feel that understand why the decisions were made except with a few over the past 3 years. And the consequences of those decisions are what brings the Houston Texans to this point.

But, again, I feel the Texans are headed in the right direction in terms of the team and salary cap situation. That is all.
Understood. Let me just add this, it might help you understand my point of view better. If we sat down to play a game of Monopoly and I started the game with $2000 and you started the game with $1200, who has the advantage? who is likely to win? who do you perceive as the Texans?
Old 07-14-2014   #186
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Chapman View Post
Houston bought and paid for a team in 2011.

2011 and 2012 were very good seasons. 2013 just came off the rails. This offseason they cleared the books for 2015. And your judging before 2014 & 2015 seasons happen, especially with a possibly huge cap space to work with in 2015.

How is this different than what the Colts did after they released Manning? They cleared the books and got the #1 pick. And have been filling in their roster with the extra cap space each season.

Houston paid for some free agents in 2011 and 2013...didn't work out...so they are now moving on. They have cleared the books just like Indy did a few years ago.

The 2014 draft was a great step in the right direction. The real test will be what is done in the offseason after the 2014 season. I'm not saying Houston will do what Indy did after their 2-14 season and go 10-6 the following season. But the Texans are correcting for their past cap issues. The way I see it, most teams have to do this every so often. Houston just had some bad timing with the new CBA and rookie wage scale.

And I disagree, I don't think the 2014 team will be worse than the 2013 team. The team hit rock bottom, and is starting the see the light.
But many on here said the Texans didn't have cap issues.

I agree that 2014 wont be as bad as 2013. You cant be worse than picking 1-1. I actually like the Texans draft and under the radar FA signings of Lewis and Cleamons. You cant have worse safety play than the Texans had last yr.
Old 07-14-2014   #187
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 14238 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

never thought this thread would see 10 pages
Sponsored links
Old 07-14-2014   #188
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
But many on here said the Texans didn't have cap issues.

I agree that 2014 wont be as bad as 2013. You cant be worse than picking 1-1. I actually like the Texans draft and under the radar FA signings of Lewis and Cleamons. You cant have worse safety play than the Texans had last yr.
The Texans IIRC , had the dilemma of paying players their 2nd contract while losing . Then when they started winning and had to pay the guys who got them there , the money issues got worse . Combine that with having to buy half a secondary then letting your guy walk to the Lions , oh well we got Ed Reed .

Round Dan
Old 07-14-2014   #189
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69514 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

tl;dr

Texian's ideal team pays everyone the minimum allowed by the NFL so that the team has as much cap space as possible always. The salary floor is his sworn enemy.

Reminded me of why you don't prod the bear.
Old 07-14-2014   #190
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTexan View Post
tl;dr

Texian's ideal team pays everyone the minimum allowed by the NFL so that the team has as much cap space as possible always. The salary floor is his sworn enemy.
FTR - My ideal team salary cap would've a $20 million QB preferably, $4mil-$5mil special teams, $5 million for IR replacements, LTBEs, grievances and practice squad, and the remaining salary cap split as close to 50% as possible not to exceed a 40% to 60% ratio Off/Def or Def/Off. Only 1 or 2 players on O (excluding QB) and 1 or 2 players on D receiving close to Max compensation for their respective positions. With approx 50% of the D roster and 50% of the O roster in the neighborhood of player minimums. And a max of 25%-30% of contracts expiring at the end of each league year.
Old 07-14-2014   #191
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
FTR - My ideal team salary cap would've a $20 million QB preferably, $4mil-$5mil special teams, $5 million for IR replacements, LTBEs, grievances and practice squad, and the remaining salary cap split as close to 50% as possible not to exceed a 40% to 60% ratio Off/Def or Def/Off. Only 1 or 2 players on O (excluding QB) and 1 or 2 players on D receiving close to Max compensation for their respective positions. With approx 50% of the D roster and 50% of the O roster in the neighborhood of player minimums. And a max of 25%-30% of contracts expiring at the end of each league year.
It's also having to spend on certain positions like QB and that high dollar QB has to earn his money . Same as a LT and so on . The 9ers and Seahawks are going to be saddled with a QB who gets paid . There will be holes in other places now and Kap and Wilson will have to be better

Round Dan
Old 07-14-2014   #192
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The GREATEST risk is not taking one. ....Bob, hire Eliot Wolf, then get the hell out of the way.

I don't see myself as a pessimist. I call them as I see them. I don't call them as I want them to be or hope they would be or wish they would be.
According to some people, Season ticket holders who have been spending $$$$ at NRG for yrs shouldn't say anything negative about the Texans org/McNair because A. He brought football back to Houston. B. These season ticket holders cant do anything about the crap product that McNair has fairly consistently put on field for over a decade.

I happen to think it's healthy for fans to vent about the shortcomings of their favorite team and give their opinions on what they would do to make the team better. Others don't feel that way and I get that.

As far as your sig goes McNair will never do that because the Texans have been very successful at doing what McNair wants most. (making millions of $$$$. BTW McNair spending $700 mil on the Texans is misleading. Reliant/NRG have a 200 mil naming rights fee and the minority owners have paid atleast 100 mil. Plus the taxpayers have been on the hook for about 200 mil. So while McNair fronted out some of the $$$$ it isn't like he put out all of that $$$$ and he's made about a billion $$$$ off his investment. Not a bad gig if you can afford it.

So unfortunately we the GREAT FANS of the HOUSTON TEXANS can expect more of the same in the future.
Old 07-14-2014   #193
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
According to some people, Season ticket holders who have been spending $$$$ at NRG for yrs shouldn't say anything negative about the Texans org/McNair because A. He brought football back to Houston. B. These season ticket holders cant do anything about the crap product that McNair has fairly consistently put on field for over a decade.

I happen to think it's healthy for fans to vent about the shortcomings of their favorite team and give their opinions on what they would do to make the team better. Others don't feel that way and I get that.

As far as your sig goes McNair will never do that because the Texans have been very successful at doing what McNair wants most. (making millions of $$$$. BTW McNair spending $700 mil on the Texans is misleading. Reliant/NRG have a 200 mil naming rights fee and the minority owners have paid atleast 100 mil. Plus the taxpayers have been on the hook for about 200 mil. So while McNair fronted out some of the $$$$ it isn't like he put out all of that $$$$ and he's made about a billion $$$$ off his investment. Not a bad gig if you can afford it.

So unfortunately we the GREAT FANS of the HOUSTON TEXANS can expect more of the same in the future.
Bob's just a nice guy in a win at all cost business . He believed mittens could be something to the bitter end . He defended him like a son and missed out on discount double check . He gave Kubiak way to many chances when most guys would have lasted 3 years , in Cleveland 1 . Why ... I think he got to close with the hired help .

Round Dan
Old 07-14-2014   #194
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 112249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
It's also having to spend on certain positions like QB and that high dollar QB has to earn his money . Same as a LT and so on . The 9ers and Seahawks are going to be saddled with a QB who gets paid . There will be holes in other places now and Kap and Wilson will have to be better
Not to mention when you have a player like JJ Watt who will have a big pay day coming. Fact is you have to pay the piper if you want to keep your good players. The real problem occurs when you have to many good players and are unable to pay them all what they want.

That was what happened a few years back Mario, Demeco, Quin, Barwin, Leach, J Dressen all got pretty good pay days, had we attempted to keep them all that would of been cap hell.
Old 07-14-2014   #195
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:

I agree. Here is what I had to say a couple of weeks ago about Bob McNair the owner of the Houston Texans:

I think Bob is an excellent businessman and probably the nicest owner in the NFL. His Texans definitely make money and are one of the more successful sports franchises on planet Earth. However when it comes to managing the X and Os on his football field he's much more like the novice fan.

Bob has been of the mindset he could buy a championship and he would spend the cash to do so. Said so himself. Hopefully he has learned that is not a successful franchise model and the system penalizes those who do. Maybe he has learned that long term planning, preparation and spending wisely is the better way to go. Let's hope so.

That said I also agree that there is no way Bob would hire a full fledged GM with complete say and control over all football operations. Bob like Jerry is NOT going to give that up. Bob like Jerry is having to much fun to consider such a move. While many Texans fans see Houston as New England lite, I see them as being much like the Dallas Cowboys front office. Texans fans best hope is Bob can eventually figure it out and realize that all the other 31 owners have just as much money to spend as Bob but some spend it much more wisely than Bob has done. All IMHO - (patiently awaiting the this is blasphemous, condemnation, spending eternal life and damnation in living hell posts.) And with that, I'll say Goodnight.

Last edited by Texian; 07-14-2014 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-14-2014   #196
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey, this thread is turning for the better.

I like it.
Old 07-15-2014   #197
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 130706 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm going to start quoting myself too
Old 07-15-2014   #198
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 130706 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
I'm going to start quoting myself too
See?
Old 07-15-2014   #199
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 114345 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i find the 'sit down you're drunk' analogy to be absolutely correct in this case. if all disagreeing parties agree about you, there might be something to it.

texian you have actually made some good and valid points here. your dickish holier than thou attitude, inability to take criticism and disagreements, inability to see when you're wrong, and persistent trolling has done you no favors. nobody cares if you make a good point. if you're an a-hole it doesn't matter if you're dropping golden eggs - it's still shite.
Old 07-15-2014   #200
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
See?
What ?

Round Dan
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read