Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-18-2014   #41
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 95414 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Twitterr saying Texans release Yates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
In the press conference just before this announcement, BoB said that he needed more consistency from all 3 guys vying for the #2 spot...meaning all 3 were basically even in the competition up to that point....yep, the ultimate fan Bob McNair put that call in...
Just curious, is that statement from sources or mere speculation on your part?

You seem to be ignoring the real possibility that Keenum simply performed better than Yates with your attempts to belittle Keemun. So if you have actual sources, then I'd look on your post differently.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014   #42
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 137304 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Why be so divisive? Some would celebrate out of ignorance and some would not out of knowledge.
What? The knowledge that all our QB's suck?
Old 06-18-2014   #43
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 146868 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
yates i honestly dont expect to be here. not because i think he's bad, but i think his ceiling is a backup. yates to me is a young sage rosenfels, and i say that as a compliment.
i posted this a month or more ago. like every "potential" player, there are perceived ceilings and floors. yates doesnt have much of a ceiling. his top end is ryan fitzpatrick, and we already have that. keenum has a much higher ceiling, though it comes with a rock bottom floor. it makes more sense to explore that potential than it does to verify a long term backup.
Old 06-18-2014   #44
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 95414 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
I will never forget the insane 4th qtr drive he had @ cincy to secure our first PS ticket

beat ATL at home something I don't even think schaub could of done would of prob choked it

and beating cicny again get our first PLayoff win

anyway I hope Keenum is next only need 2 qb IMO we could really use that 3rd spot for something else like a OLB ILB or CB

hell even a Tackle at this point
We'll have at least one QB on the ps if we go with 2 on the roster. But that doesn't really prepare you to play well.
Old 06-18-2014   #45
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 393216 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMURAITEXAN View Post
Thank you TJ and good luck to you where ever you ended up playing for.
Quote:
I will never forget the insane 4th qtr drive he had @ cincy to secure our first PS ticket

beat ATL at home something I don't even think schaub could of done would of prob choked it

and beating cicny again get our first PLayoff win
Yep, thanks for some great memories T.J.!!!
Quote:
T.J. Yates was selected with the 152nd pick (fifth round) of the 2011 NFL Draft by the Houston Texans.

He first saw action in a November 27, 2011 game against the Jacksonville Jaguars when quarterback Matt Leinart left the game with a collarbone injury. Yates made his first ever professional career start in the next game against the Atlanta Falcons and also became the first ever former University of North Carolina quarterback to start an NFL game.

Yates started his second game on December 11 against the Cincinnati Bengals. Yates completed 26-of-44 passes for 300 yards. He threw two touchdowns and one interception and led the Texans to their tenth win, clinching a playoff spot for the first time in franchise history. For his performance in the Bengals game he was named the Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Week.

On January 7, 2012, Yates led the Texans to their first ever playoff win with the score of 31-10 over the Cincinnati Bengals (the same team Yates and the Texans beat to clinch their first ever playoff berth), becoming the fifth rookie quarterback to win a playoff game.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014   #46
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Just curious, is that statement from sources or mere speculation on your part?

You seem to be ignoring the real possibility that Keenum simply performed better than Yates with your attempts to belittle Keemun. So if you have actual sources, then I'd look on your post differently.
Lol, here's BoB talking a little about the qb competition after the 1st practice of minicamp right before Yates was cut.

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-medi...d-17729a84af2f

BoB had been saying the same thing about all the guys up to that point, yet he went on ahead and named Fitz the starter before most coaches in his situation do which clearly shows how he felt about Fitz. He also makes clear distinctions about Savage's progression most times by saying things like he's "a little behind" or just mentioning him separately from the other 2; which tells me he's likely not seriously considering Savage to be his #2 at this point. That left Case and TJ in which he doesn't say anything 1 way or the other about either guy...which implies that they're pretty much even. We also have their history. Neither guy could really separate themselves from each other last year in the preseason....

That leaves only a few variables left. Case's supposed higher "upside" and/or him outperforming TJ in OTA's......the above stuff doesn't seem to suggest either 1 of those being a real factor. The only thing you're really left with his McNair. It wouldn't be the 1st time McNair got involved with the qb situation.

Only Keenum fan boys take it as a slight to Keenum...instead of honestly evaluating Keenum's situation here.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014   #47
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Twitter saying Texans release Yates

Mr Tex, sorry, but you still don't make any sense to me.
McNair wouldn't even have to put in the call at any time, let alone the last minute.
It would have been a condition of employment for O'Brien.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-18-2014   #48
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Mr Tex, sorry, but you still don't make any sense to me.
McNair wouldn't even have to put in the call at any time, let alone the last minute.
It would have been a condition of employment for O'Brien.
You're taking it literally...That's not how i meant it at all....whether it was last minute or a condition of employment for O'brien, It's the same thing to me. Case has support here that Yates didn't...which very well could've been the deciding factor all things being even as it appears that they were.

Could've been something as simple as McNair saying to B'ob "give him a legitimate shot to make the roster b/c i don't believe he really got that last year.." & from Bo'B's perspective it could've just been a matter of seeing if he could be at least as good as Yatesfor the back up role so that they could afford to let go of TJ...who knows

In any event, TJ is gone, Lets focus on the 3 still here.
Old 06-18-2014   #49
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You're taking it literally...That's not how i meant it at all....whether it was last minute or a condition of employment for O'brien, It's the same thing to me. Case has support here that Yates didn't...which very well could've been the deciding factor all things being even as it appears that they were.

Could've been something as simple as McNair saying to B'ob "give him a legitimate shot to make the roster b/c i don't believe he really got that last year.." & from Bo'B's perspective it could've just been a matter of seeing if he could be at least as good as Yates so that they could maybe afford to let go of TJ...who knows

In any event, TJ is gone, Lets focus on the 3 still here.
I dunno, man.
Keenum did get cut in against the wish of his fan club.
McNair didn't put in a call for him then, did he?
Old 06-18-2014   #50
sandman
All Pro

Rep Power: 91318 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
and rallies the hate.
Towards his fan boys on this site? Yes

Towards CK himself? Nah
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014   #51
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I dunno, man.
Keenum did get cut in against the wish of his fan club.
McNair didn't put in a call for him then, did he?
What's the popular saying "the most popular player on the team is always the back up qb.." Multiply that by 2 when said qb is from home city/state.

What we do know is McNair put the call in for him during the season at some point....As I've stated before, In all my years of watching this game on this level, 've never seen a coach skip over his perfectly healthy 2nd string qb to go to his 3rd unless he was forced to do so. Especially if his 2nd stringer has won games for him in the past, & is healthy.

McNair probably tried to let Kubiak make that decision on his own, but Gary couldn't...that combined with the team dropping 14 straight games combined with the fact Gary kept inserting Schaub in over Keenum ultimately got that dude fired.
Old 06-18-2014   #52
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 19952 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post
Towards his fan boys on this site? Yes

Towards CK himself? Nah
Sorry, I just don't see the "fan boy" thing. Yes, he does have his fans, but "fan boy" suggests a VYesque cult following and that just simply doesn't exist. People root for him and want to see him succeed, but I don't hear anyone suggesting they will disown the team or give up their season tickets now that he wasn't proclaimed the starting QB.
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014   #53
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

ravens wanted to trade for yates on draft day we could of got a pick ..?????

Rick is deff messin up
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014   #54
Troy Chapman
Veteran

Rep Power: 33633 Troy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Rick is deff messin up
I've heard this too but never seen confirmation that it actually occurred.
Troy Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014   #55
chenjy9
Veteran

Rep Power: 10910 chenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Rick is deff messin up
Have you ever considered the possibility that OB declined to have Yates traded until he could see what we had in him?
chenjy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014   #56
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:

Rick is deff messin up
And you know this from? Yeah speculation and conjecture
Old 06-18-2014   #57
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Lol, here's BoB talking a little about the qb competition after the 1st practice of minicamp right before Yates was cut.

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-medi...d-17729a84af2f

BoB had been saying the same thing about all the guys up to that point, yet he went on ahead and named Fitz the starter before most coaches in his situation do which clearly shows how he felt about Fitz. He also makes clear distinctions about Savage's progression most times by saying things like he's "a little behind" or just mentioning him separately from the other 2; which tells me he's likely not seriously considering Savage to be his #2 at this point. That left Case and TJ in which he doesn't say anything 1 way or the other about either guy...which implies that they're pretty much even. We also have their history. Neither guy could really separate themselves from each other last year in the preseason....

That leaves only a few variables left. Case's supposed higher "upside" and/or him outperforming TJ in OTA's......the above stuff doesn't seem to suggest either 1 of those being a real factor. The only thing you're really left with his McNair. It wouldn't be the 1st time McNair got involved with the qb situation.

Only Keenum fan boys take it as a slight to Keenum...instead of honestly evaluating Keenum's situation here.
So it's speculation on your part. Thanks for the info.

ps There's nothing wrong with speculation and conjecture as long as you remember they aren't facts.
Old 06-18-2014   #58
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 139289 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
Sorry, I just don't see the "fan boy" thing. Yes, he does have his fans, but "fan boy" suggests a VYesque cult following and that just simply doesn't exist. People root for him and want to see him succeed, but I don't hear anyone suggesting they will disown the team or give up their season tickets now that he wasn't proclaimed the starting QB.
Difference was/is that VY and Manziel were considered to be first round picks and in contention for top 10 selection whereas Keenum was not, and in both cases the Texans were under fan pressure (regardless of whether the Texans felt it or not, the fanbase WAS pressuring the organization) because they had the #1 pick. Scenarios were vastly different between the UT/A&M superstars and the UH hometown hero.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014   #59
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
Difference was/is that VY and Manziel were considered to be first round picks and in contention for top 10 selection whereas Keenum was not, and in both cases the Texans were under fan pressure (regardless of whether the Texans felt it or not, the fanbase WAS pressuring the organization) because they had the #1 pick. Scenarios were vastly different between the UT/A&M superstars and the UH hometown hero.
McNair didn't succumb to those pressures, so why now?

Certainly the cries for VY was hell a whole lot louder, and the clamoring for Manziel was also significant.
Old 06-18-2014   #60
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 393216 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
ravens wanted to trade for yates on draft day we could of got a pick ..????? Rick is deff messin up
Wasn't Rick's call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenjy9 View Post
Have you ever considered the possibility that OB declined to have Yates traded until he could see what we had in him?
Bingo.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read