Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-18-2014   #101
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bill names QB Fitzpatrick starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Careful. Getting between Doc & Case is akin to standing between Dread and large-breasted Asian women...
I dunno. Based on some of the comments between the two of them, Bill might actually want to be between Dread and a large-breasted Asian woman. Literally.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014   #102
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 18298 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
WHAT IN THE HELL IS THIS????????

Did i miss the whole fair quarterback competition thing??????

Did i miss training camp????

Did i miss preseason?

How can you name fitzpatrick starter when training camp hasnt even started yet?????

That's what you call a fair quarterback competition??????????

WTF??????

= FOREVER.

that's what starting ryan fitzpatrick means. What's the point of even watching?

If I remember correctly BoB wanted to name a starter before going into training camp so that there may be a clear leader. I don't think Fitz will be the starter if another QB were to outperform during camp and become the clear #1.

tl;dr Just because Fritz is the starter doesn't mean he will start Day 1 of the regular season.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014   #103
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135371 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
WHAT IN THE HELL IS THIS????????

Did i miss the whole fair quarterback competition thing??????

Did i miss training camp????

Did i miss preseason?

How can you name fitzpatrick starter when training camp hasnt even started yet?????

That's what you call a fair quarterback competition??????????

WTF??????

= FOREVER.

that's what starting ryan fitzpatrick means. What's the point of even watching?
go shake your frikin head........
Old 06-19-2014   #104
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Every time I read this Lord Bill dude's comments I think of this guy, because they're as asinine as humping a tree.

Old 06-19-2014   #105
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 109012 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Every time I read this Lord Bill dude's comments I think of this guy, because they're as asinine as humping a tree.
HA!

I just noticed your sig, hilarious.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014   #106
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 377943 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Pretty sure that actually is him.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014   #107
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135371 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Pretty sure that actually is him.
That is definitely not a 12 year old girl.
Old 06-19-2014   #108
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 135670 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

xtruroyaltyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014   #109
heymak
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 heymak is a quality contributor and well respectedheymak is a quality contributor and well respectedheymak is a quality contributor and well respectedheymak is a quality contributor and well respectedheymak is a quality contributor and well respectedheymak is a quality contributor and well respectedheymak is a quality contributor and well respectedheymak is a quality contributor and well respectedheymak is a quality contributor and well respectedheymak is a quality contributor and well respectedheymak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Bill names QB Fitzpatrick starter

If one QB out performs the others, pretty sure coach wont feel too bad about making a change. Plenty more time to sort it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
heymak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014   #110
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Fitz being named the starter should not come as a surprise. That's BOB's guy, the one he hand picked. What I find frustrating is there were about 5-6 band aid QBs in a box to start 2014 year. Fitz was the last band aid in the box.
Old 06-19-2014   #111
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Quote:
how about you name a starter after you've seen them play in training camp and preseason?

whatever happened to earning it?

naming your starter before there ever was a competition is not it.
Ever heard of reps?

Interesting concept.....
Old 06-19-2014   #112
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I expect to see a good deal of batted passes from Fitz.........he still has not changed his low delivery point as noted in this new mandatory minicamp VIDEO also. This is in contrast to Keenum's high delivery noted in this same video.
To build up Fitz' ego my sources tell me JJ is not allowed to raise his hands in practice.
Old 06-19-2014   #113
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Matt don't care, he has more money than all members on this board combined.
Wrong

I believe McNair/Rootes visit the MB occasionally.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014   #114
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Wrong

I believe McNair/Rootes visit the MB occasionally.
Should we have a "Hello, Welcome Bob & Jamie" sticky?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014   #115
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64484 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Prediction ...

Fitz = second coming of Trent Dilfer.

That is all.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014   #116
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Quote:
training camp/preseason games > voluntary OTAs.

why name a starter?

why not wait until the actual competition then decide who has earned it.

unless of course obrien is a liar and he just wants HIS guy to get the job.

deciding who your starting quarterback is based on voluntary off season work out reps is just dumb.
He's the coach, HIS guy will always win.
Old 06-20-2014   #117
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

why name a starter?

deciding who your starting quarterback is based on voluntary off season work out reps is just dumb.
1. You name the starter because it defines who's going to be getting which snaps when training camp comes.

2. You name a starter as an incentive to the guys who weren't named the starter.

3. You name a starter to reward the guy who, at this point, knows the offense the best especially if he's head and shoulders above the other guys.

There are a lot of other reasons he may have named the starter going into camp.

But the main thing is that OB has been working with this group of guys for a while now and if he feels it's time to name the starter, then that's what he should do. Just because the starter has been named that doesn't mean that the competition is over.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014   #118
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

why name a starter?

something tells me you'd still be bitchin' if Fitz was still named the starter over Keenum after training camp and preseason.

This is now 2 different coaching regimes thus far who have labeled him back up material. How about this novel idea....maybe.........just maybe Keenum aint as good as you think he is.

Obviously, B'OB...and Kubiak before him don't think Keenum has shown enough to warrant being considered as a potential long time starter in this league. Maybe things change after TC and PS....Maybe this was a ploy to get Keenum to raise his game...maybe Keenum beats Fitz out after TC & PS..Regardless of what happens, you need to stop acting like Keenum is Rodney Dangerfield. He's getting a fair shot to show what he's got...He ain't delivering to the level he needs to.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014   #119
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
something tells me you'd still be bitchin' if Fitz was still named the starter over Keenum after training camp and preseason.

This is now 2 different coaching regimes thus far who have labeled him back up material. How about this novel idea....maybe.........just maybe Keenum aint as good as you think he is.

Obviously, B'OB...and Kubiak before him don't think Keenum has shown enough to warrant being considered as a potential long time starter in this league. Maybe things change after TC and PS....Maybe this was a ploy to get Keenum to raise his game...maybe Keenum beats Fitz out after TC & PS..Regardless of what happens, you need to stop acting like Keenum is Rodney Dangerfield. He's getting a fair shot to show what he's got...He ain't delivering to the level he needs to.

This. For an undrafted quarterback Keenum has had ample opportunity to show he can be the answer at QB.
Old 06-20-2014   #120
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1. that's not what obrien sounded like when he first was talking about it. when he first started talking about this, he was all fair competition, having to earn it, everybody will get a fair and equal shot. With him naming a starter before training camp even starts, he sounds just like gary kubiak.

FULL OF SH*T.

2. Wouldnt it be better incentive if the job hasnt been given already and it was up in the air? Your explanation sounds good at first glance but in essence its the COMPLETE OPPOSITE.

The fact that you named a starter BEFORE any real competition shows you are playing favorites and basically kills actual competition and motivation to win the starting job since the other two qbs know you are favoring fitzpatrick.

What do you think is greater incentive? That your coach hasnt decided who the starter is and that anybody of the 3 can win it?

or naming one starter before any real competition started and saying to those those other guys hey beat this guy i named started and you'll have to do it with less reps, less reps with the first team. less everything since obrien named fitzpatrick a starter already.

3. You reward the guy who has earned the job through actual competition. NOt because of seniority which is what this move basically signifies. This is a typical gary kubiak move.

Naming fitzpatrick as your starter meanss the other two guys competing for that spot are fighting an uphill battle. Its basically a rigged competition from here on out.
Everything you're saying is based on the idea that there has been no competition up to this point and that now there will be no serious competition from this point on.

Both of those points are wrong.

As to incentive, lots of people respond really well to being challenged. By naming Fitzpatrick the starter going into training camp, he's challenging Case Keenum and Tom Savage. Do they have to do more with less? Yes. That's their challenge. If they're any good, they will.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read