Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-03-2014   #421
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 270486 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bill O'Brien names QB Fitzpatrick starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
You're right.

But that is exactly my point.

At this time, Fitz can operate this offense better.
If, as you said, Fitz has four years of experience in this offense, I don't see Keenum making up that difference in experience any time soon
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014   #422
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51562 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
What gives you this impression? From what I've read, the only thing keeping Keenum on the roster is he has game experience and Savage isn't even a cousin to a backup QB yet.

I've heard few reports of Keenum looking good. You're not jusy trolling the Coog fans, are you?
Just reading the training camp thread I've gotten the impression that Keenum hasn't looked great.

Not hating, just my impression.
Old 08-03-2014   #423
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 31527 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Neither has Savage. Keenum has been up and down. Had a good day Saturday.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014   #424
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
My point was, if Keenum has any shot at all at overtaking Fitzpatrick, he has to show the same command of the offense, ability to read the defense quickly and decisively, and quick decision making as Fitz has shown so far. I don't know if he will do so or not.
Ok, I agree. The post I commented on sounded like you expect Keenum to do this, not what he needs to do. LOL
Old 08-03-2014   #425
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
Just reading the training camp thread I've gotten the impression that Keenum hasn't looked great.

Not hating, just my impression.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
Neither has Savage. Keenum has been up and down. Had a good day Saturday.
Neither one likely to overtake Fitz. Just hunker down, expect some turnovers with good fundamental plays from good teammates. With luck and Fitz having a career year, the Texans might challenge for a WC spot.
Old 08-04-2014   #426
sandman
All Pro

Rep Power: 84722 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I don't know if Keenum will have better command of OB's than Fitz at any point this year; however, if Fitz is true to his color (turnovers), his HC might have no choice.
Interesting data regarding interception ratios to pass attempts for active players (minimum 1500 attempts):

Only Rodgers and Brady are at 2% or lower, All Time.

A bunch of serviceable game managers pack the crowd between 2.0-2.5%, but that is probably because they were very careful about when and where they threw the ball.

LOTS of busts in Canton fall into the 2.5-3.0% range, as well as active players such as Manning, Brees and... Matt Schaub.

Fitz has a career percentage of 3.5%, while is pretty much where Eli Manning and Jay Cutler are at (3.4%). Phil Simms and Warren Moon are there as well.

Not saying that 3.5% is the sweet spot. Just saying that there were a lot of successful QB's that have the same career marks as Fitz.

On the other hand, there are only three active QB's with higher pick rates than Fitz: Sanchez, Kitna and Grossman
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014   #427
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 11090 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

All this negativity about Fitz.... But how many QBs have succeeded in Buffalo after Kelly? I think he's been pretty solid these past 2 seasons
PHILLYTEXANFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-04-2014   #428
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 21560 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Fitzpatrick starts the season off on a good note due to the lack of film on O'Briens offense, but as soon as defenses get up to speed ... ay caramba!
Old 08-04-2014   #429
chenjy9
Veteran

Rep Power: 10842 chenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the secret to success here will be how we can prevent Fritz from trying to force the issue. Like it was mentioned a while back, we will be trying to prevent those gray options for Fritz and keep his options as black and white as possible.
chenjy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014   #430
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenjy9 View Post
I think the secret to success here will be how we can prevent Fritz from trying to force the issue. Like it was mentioned a while back, we will be trying to prevent those gray options for Fritz and keep his options as black and white as possible.
He's never had good targets and good protection at the same time. Let's just give it to him and let him be Cody Carelson while we look for our Warren Moon.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014   #431
chenjy9
Veteran

Rep Power: 10842 chenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
He's never had good targets and good protection at the same time. Let's just give it to him and let him be Cody Carelson while we look for our Warren Moon.
Yeah... I am definitely taking a wait and see stance on our offense. I am pumped up as all hell in regards to our D though!
chenjy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014   #432
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30005 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Fitzpatrick starts the season off on a good note due to the lack of film on O'Briens offense, but as soon as defenses get up to speed ... ay caramba!

But isn't O'Brien's specialty supposed to be his ability to change things up and create new plays? Even after game film comes out, O'Brien is supposed to be innovative enough to counter that by constantly switching things up. Guess we will see if he lived up to that.
houstonspartan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014   #433
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenjy9 View Post
Yeah... I am definitely taking a wait and see stance on our offense. I am pumped up as all hell in regards to our D though!
yeah, I think the fanbase is doing a little too much slingbladesque hand-wringing over this issue. Fans are critical when teams pick them a Gabbert or a Ponder but have no patience when the team exercises an althernate path to picking the most important player on your team.

Old 08-04-2014   #434
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 78716 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Can I get a Warren Moon that gets past the divisional round?

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014   #435
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 370555 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I used to appreciate Schaub in my mind because he was not Fitzpatrick, Gabbert, or Locker.

So I was bummed when we ended up with Fitz.

That said, I'm now taking the attitude about it that you just mentioned. Fitz is a placeholder and nothing more. He's not the future, but someone smart enough to manage O'Brien's playbook so the rest of the offensive players can learn it.

I'd rather that than a reach in the first round just to get a QB, because then you are most likely stuck with that first rounder for several years.

I'm taking an attitude of "In O'Brien We Trust" this season and I'm really looking forward to Crennel's defense more than anything else.

Fitz just needs to keep himself from screwing it up, and not try to put the team on his back. And if O'Brien is everything that the media says he is, who knows? Maybe Fitz can be coached up to be something even more.
Old 08-04-2014   #436
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Can I get a Warren Moon that gets past the divisional round?
Yeah, I'd be dumb enough to take a talent like Warren Moon and give it a shot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I used to appreciate Schaub in my mind because he was not Fitzpatrick, Gabbert, or Locker.

That said, I'm now taking the attitude about it that you just mentioned. Fitz is a placeholder and nothing more. He's not the future, but someone smart enough to manage O'Brien's playbook so the rest of the offensive players can learn it.

I'd rather that than a reach in the first round just to get a QB, because then you are most likely stuck with that first rounder for several years.

I'm taking an attitude of "In O'Brien We Trust" this season and I'm really looking forward to Crennel's defense more than anything else.

Fitz just needs to keep himself from screwing it up, and not try to put the team on his back. And if O'Brien is everything that the media says he is, who knows? Maybe Fitz can be coached up to be something even more.
I know most of your angst is about not falling in the pit of eternal hope that team fanboys often find themselves. The rationalizations/team spin and the homer blindness takes on a Rush Limbaugh feel at times. I'm with you on that.

Old 08-04-2014   #437
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

I literally fell down laughing when the Titans picked up Fitzpatrick. I knew what their season held for them & that was when I knew Locker was the starter & Fitz would probably play one or two games.

He's our starter now.

If he's our starter come week 1, there will be no doubt in my mind that "winning" isn't on the Texans list of things to do this season & I don't know if I can deal with it.

By "not knowing if I can deal with it" I mean the few people here who don't think I'm a troll will be turned.
Old 08-04-2014   #438
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Rep Power: 21560 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I literally fell down laughing when the Titans picked up Fitzpatrick. I knew what their season held for them & that was when I knew Locker was the starter & Fitz would probably play one or two games.

He's our starter now.

If he's our starter come week 1, there will be no doubt in my mind that "winning" isn't on the Texans list of things to do this season & I don't know if I can deal with it.

By "not knowing if I can deal with it" I mean the few people here who don't think I'm a troll will be turned.
I agree, Fitzpatrick sucks. At this point though, what can the team really do? Who's left out there? I actually wont be the least bit surprised if Keenum gets in there around week 8-10, and then this place will really go batshit crazy.

I don't think that by trotting out Fat Head that they are waving a white flag, if not just symbolically shrugging their shoulders and saying 'oh well, there's always next year"

If the defense can play up to their potential therein will lie the fun for the fans, im not expecting much at all from the offense.
Old 08-04-2014   #439
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
But isn't O'Brien's specialty supposed to be his ability to change things up and create new plays? Even after game film comes out, O'Brien is supposed to be innovative enough to counter that by constantly switching things up. Guess we will see if he lived up to that.
I mean I've heard the same things, but who can really know for sure how the guy will react under duress? I'm not sure what to expect really. Plenty have said 'Yayyy we'll be the Patriots South" ... but will we really? I hope there are some different wrinkles, I'm concerned that there is not enough talent at certain key positions on the offensive side of the ball for that unit to make much of a difference regardless of how ingenius his plays/designs are.
Old 08-04-2014   #440
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135003 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Time for a little FitzMagic!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read