Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-09-2014   #361
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 294595 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bill names QB Fitzpatrick starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYTEXANFAN View Post
Lol, just trying to show Cak that sometimes missing one player can make or break a team
You mean like losing Cushing?

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014   #362
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 122409 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
or Foster
Old 07-09-2014   #363
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 8706 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bill O'Brien names QB Fitzpatrick starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
O'Brien was stuck between a rock and a hard place.... (long, see post #362)
Now I understand better what went on. Savage would have to be a genius to pick up OB's system the first year. The same applies to Keenum, who is for practical purposes a rookie, having never seen a pro system where he needed to read defenses and change plays.
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014   #364
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391219 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Lol, just trying to show Cak that sometimes missing one player can make or break a team
I was never arguing that point and you can prove that until the cows come home and it won't prove that missing ANY one player will make or break a team. Mark Sanchez rode a team to the playoffs, he did not take them there
Old 07-09-2014   #365
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Those are encouraging stats from PFF. We need some encouragement at this point. Fitzpatrick has never really had a good team around him. If AJ gets over his problem, if Foster gets healthy, if the line can get it together...this could be a good team. That's lot of ifs. But at least the numbers suggest that Fitzpatrick can do his job if everyone else is doing theirs.
Said the bolded about 4 pages back. The teams he played on in STL, BUF, CINCY and TENN were bottom feeder teams with little to no talent on them. I honestly feel he's got more talent around him here...more than he's ever had before; team wise that is. Will it result in better play? probably not, but the stats Playoffs put up support the idea that he could have a very successful run here as a placeholder as long as he's not in a position where he's got to win it for us.

Apart from that, no matter who we picked up at qb, we were destined for bad qb play, Keenum, Savage, Bortles and TB included. The difference here again is that we know what Fitzy is & there ar no delusions of granduer that will delay us in looking for a franchise guy like with the others.

Apart from that, i've always been a proponent of letting a guy with franchise potential sit for a year to learn the nuances of the qb position on this level. & if we have to suffer through a year of Fitzmagic in order to give Savage the best possible chance to reach what everyone thinks is very high potential, then so be it.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014   #366
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
O'Brien was stuck between a rock and a hard place.

He had zero experience with our two backups -- CBA rules -- so he could have no confidence that either had the capability to assimilate his much-more-complex-than-Kubiak's offense that leans much more on QB knowledge/reads. He couldn't know one way or the other, and being forced to start a limiting QB who turns his "multiple" offense into partial-playbook-simple was anathema to the coach

In May, many thought we'd be drafting QB @1-1. Cassel went with Norv Turner, who courted him last year. McCown chose Lovie, who handed him the keys. The 3rd & only guy left was FitzMagic. OB's system was not totally foreign to him, and he has a demonstrated capability to assimilate multiple systems.

There wasn't a QB in the draft who was a day 1 starter in OB's mind, so that was out. So it was either Fitzmagic or total guesswork, and Fitz had more '13 playing time than the other top rated QBs.

So OTAs come around and a decision has to be made between Keenum & Yates. Yates at his best may have looked better than Keenum, but he was up & down and his inconsistency irked OB moreso than Keenum's tendency to hold onto the ball too long/slow to process. So TJ was jettisoned.

OB has that old school coach disdain for rookies. Rookies make rookie mistakes. I doubt we see Savage outside of meaningless snaps to get his feet wet/some NFL game time. If Savage does more than that, it'll be a win -- not that he'll look great as a rookie, but that he picked up all of the offense and earned a start from OB. (Tom Brady was 1/3 for 6 yards in his rookie year.)

As for FitzMagic, Fear the Beard...

And for the fantasy footballers out there...

FitzMagic's 2013 interception rate was was poor, but still better than Eli, Cousins, Palmer, Flacco, Cassel, and equal to Jay Cutler and Dalton.

I still wouldn't be surprised to see us pick up another team's droppings at some point if he has some history in this offense, not expecting it. But you need to reboot if you think that guy should be Josh Freeman -- there's more than a few reasons he remains unsigned at 26 going into training camp.
One of the things they didn't take into account are the ones Fitz threw right to the defenders who promptly dropped them.

They need a stat to tell how lucky a QB is.

76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014   #367
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 378037 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
As bad as FitzMagic is (hopefully was) I am much more comfortable with him starting than Keenum.
Understandable, but it's almost like saying you'd be more comfortable with an enema than with a colonoscopy.

Quote:
Those are encouraging stats from PFF. We need some encouragement at this point. Fitzpatrick has never really had a good team around him. If AJ gets over his problem, if Foster gets healthy, if the line can get it together...this could be a good team. That's lot of ifs. But at least the numbers suggest that Fitzpatrick can do his job if everyone else is doing theirs.
I get what you're saying, but I've always noticed that teams that rely on a lot of "ifs" to happen are usually destined for bad seasons. Maybe magic can happen and all the pieces fall into place, but I do not place any hope and optimism on such possibilities. I'm pretty much resigned to 2014 being a rebuild year and will feel lucky if they can scratch out 6 wins.
Old 07-09-2014   #368
Lucky

Rep Power: 181825 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I get what you're saying, but I've always noticed that teams that rely on a lot of "ifs" to happen are usually destined for bad seasons. Maybe magic can happen and all the pieces fall into place, but I do not place any hope and optimism on such possibilities.
Yeah, but the "ifs" aren't unreasonable like, if Fitzpatrick plays like Tom Brady for instance. That would be magic. AJ and Foster have had 1400 yard seasons recently. The line was pretty good 1-1/2 years ago. Everything that could go wrong went wrong in 2014. If Schaub becomes a basket case (he did). If Foster and Tate are injured (they were). If Cushing is injured (again). If the RT position becomes a turnstile (was it ever). That was a lot of bad "ifs". Maybe, some good luck will swing the Texans way in 2014. Can't get worse.
Old 07-09-2014   #369
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 378037 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, but the "ifs" aren't unreasonable like, if Fitzpatrick plays like Tom Brady for instance. That would be magic. AJ and Foster have had 1400 yard seasons recently. The line was pretty good 1-1/2 years ago. Everything that could go wrong went wrong in 2014. If Schaub becomes a basket case (he did). If Foster and Tate are injured (they were). If Cushing is injured (again). If the RT position becomes a turnstile (was it ever). That was a lot of bad "ifs". Maybe, some good luck will swing the Texans way in 2014. Can't get worse.
I certainly hope you're right.

However, the "ifs" I was thinking was less "Fitzpatrick plays like Tom Brady" and more like if Fitzpatrick could stop playing like Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Understand the bad "ifs" of 2013, but 2014 will require Foster to be healthy for 16 games (unlikely) while being the player he was in 2012, Cushing to be healthy for 16 games (hopefully) and still maintain the great play that he showed for the past two seasons pre-injuries, and for guys like Derek Newton to be better than the sucktastically horrible low standard he set in 2013.

There are so many if-variables that must happen to make it to .500, much less a winning season/playoffs, that I honestly believe O'Brien would be up for coach of the year honors if he could manage to bring 2014 beyond "rebuild year status".

I do not mean to sound pessimistic, but sometimes it's a fine line between pragmatic and pessimistic. I do have long-term optimism for O'Brien and the Texans, but that goes into 2015 and beyond and is based on hoping he's a great head coach.
Old 07-09-2014   #370
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 8295 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You may be right about Fitz and I would say the same for Keenum.
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014   #371
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 150044 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Understandable, but it's almost like saying you'd be more comfortable with an enema than with a colonoscopy.

I get what you're saying, but I've always noticed that teams that rely on a lot of "ifs" to happen are usually destined for bad seasons. Maybe magic can happen and all the pieces fall into place, but I do not place any hope and optimism on such possibilities. I'm pretty much resigned to 2014 being a rebuild year and will feel lucky if they can scratch out 6 wins.
Colonoscopy = Outstanding drugs

I could wake up with a condom hangin out my butt and not know what happened.
Old 07-09-2014   #372
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 243112 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post

Oh, don't be afraid. Go ahead and take a guess now!
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014   #373
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107813 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
Here are the facts. Fitzpatrick is a mediocre QB, and the Texans are going to have to waste another season rebuilding.
I have no delusions about the upcoming Texans season, beyond hoping you keep your recent track record on these type of predictions/evaluations intact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
You can put Tom Brady on that Chief's team. It's still not going to be a .500 team.
Old 07-09-2014   #374
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:

lol!!

So...uhhh...wanna' go camping?
Old 07-09-2014   #375
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
or Foster
Hey now...
that's TWO missing players...

but kinda seriously, since Schaub wasn't the same guy he was before the foot thing, I'd argue we were missing three key guys last year.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014   #376
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hey, you got a crystal ball or something?
Old 07-09-2014   #377
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 122409 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

lol!!

You weren't a boy Scout leader in Spring Tx around 93 were you
Old 07-09-2014   #378
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 150044 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

lol!!

So...there was this one time..in band camp....
Old 07-09-2014   #379
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
You weren't a boy Scout leader in Spring Tx around 93 were you

p.s. for the record, NO.

Quote:

So...there was this one time..in band camp....
yes, please continue....

Does anyone remember that time when a football thread stayed on topic in the off-season?

Yeah, me, neither.

However, as a public service (and being the nice guy that I am), I will get it back on track:

Old 07-09-2014   #380
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:

Must
Spread
legs
...errr REP... I meant REP!
MSR!.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read