Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-08-2014   #341
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bill O'Brien names QB Fitzpatrick starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Well one answer is picking up the system. Keenum was being fed one system for two seasons and was still repeating the same mistakes. Fitz has picked up new offenses, multiple times, quickly. As a do a better job with a new system for a short time period faster out of the box, Fitz is a better bet.

Not getting the lead on the starting job is not throwing Keenum in the trash bin either. Ask TJ.
I dunno, I can't believe you are saying Harvard guys are smarter than U of H guys infantrycak ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014   #342
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Sure will be nice when preseason starts and we can see these QBs in action.

Not to mention all the rest of the "new" stuff like coaches and players and systems.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014   #343
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Sure will be nice when preseason starts and we can see these QBs in action.

Not to mention all the rest of the "new" stuff like coaches and players and systems.
Which reminds me, if they follow the timeline from last year, we should get some info about open practice sessions in about a week. Last year they announced the open practice schedule on 7-15-13.
Stay tuned.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014   #344
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well one answer is picking up the system. Keenum was being fed one system for two seasons and was still repeating the same mistakes. Fitz has picked up new offenses, multiple times, quickly. As a do a better job with a new system for a short time period faster out of the box, Fitz is a better bet.

Not getting the lead on the starting job is not throwing Keenum in the trash bin either. Ask TJ.
Yeah, that was the only logical reason I could come up with myself. Fitzy must be showing up better in all the chalkboard/classroom sessions.

And I didn't mean to imply that it was O'Brien who was tossing Keenum to the curb. That was more directed at some of our MB friends who keep saying Keenum ain't worth keeping around.
I disagree.
Having said that though, it is time for him to show his worth. He should push ole' Fitzy for the #1 QB spot by mid-to-late season.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014   #345
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Yeah, that was the only logical reason I could come up with myself. Fitzy must be showing up better in all the chalkboard/classroom sessions.

And I didn't mean to imply that it was O'Brien who was tossing Keenum to the curb. That was more directed at some of our MB friends who keep saying Keenum ain't worth keeping around.
I disagree.
Having said that though, it is time for him to show his worth. He should push ole' Fitzy for the #1 QB spot by mid-to-late season.
If someone isn't making a case to start over him by the end of preseason then I'm thinking it's going to be a long football season.
Old 07-08-2014   #346
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I disagree.
I believe Keenum should be kept around. I hate the mentality of some around here of wanting to chuck developmental guys after 1-2 years, for example drafting late rate developmental QBs every year. That's churning, not development.
Old 07-08-2014   #347
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bill names QB Fitzpatrick starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
Here are the facts. Fitzpatrick is a mediocre QB, and the Texans are going to have to waste another season rebuilding.
Unless Savage becomes the man.

If Savage proves to be the QB of the future and the defense plays well I will consider this to be a successful season, regardless of W-L record.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-08-2014   #348
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's exactly the point.
Why toss Keenum to the curb and declare he's hot garbage after an eight-game tryout while being tolerant with nine so-so to sucky seasons of Fitzpatrick? What in those nine years makes anyone think he'll be more than so-so?? Why is it O'Brien can make Fitzy into a stud but there's no hope for Keenum??
TK is having problems with that "math" and so am I.
I'm on board with you and TK. What good is being able to learn an offense quickly if 9 yrs of suckitude doesn't prove you're the guy that cant get the job done.

If Keenum cant beat Fitz out he should be cut and a trade for a stop gap like McGloin will probably happen if the QB play in the preseason stinks.

Trading for McGloin wont stand in the way of Savage's development like a trade for Mallett would have.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014   #349
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

O'Brien was stuck between a rock and a hard place.

He had zero experience with our two backups -- CBA rules -- so he could have no confidence that either had the capability to assimilate his much-more-complex-than-Kubiak's offense that leans much more on QB knowledge/reads. He couldn't know one way or the other, and being forced to start a limiting QB who turns his "multiple" offense into partial-playbook-simple was anathema to the coach

In May, many thought we'd be drafting QB @1-1. Cassel went with Norv Turner, who courted him last year. McCown chose Lovie, who handed him the keys. The 3rd & only guy left was FitzMagic. OB's system was not totally foreign to him, and he has a demonstrated capability to assimilate multiple systems.

There wasn't a QB in the draft who was a day 1 starter in OB's mind, so that was out. So it was either Fitzmagic or total guesswork, and Fitz had more '13 playing time than the other top rated QBs.

So OTAs come around and a decision has to be made between Keenum & Yates. Yates at his best may have looked better than Keenum, but he was up & down and his inconsistency irked OB moreso than Keenum's tendency to hold onto the ball too long/slow to process. So TJ was jettisoned.

OB has that old school coach disdain for rookies. Rookies make rookie mistakes. I doubt we see Savage outside of meaningless snaps to get his feet wet/some NFL game time. If Savage does more than that, it'll be a win -- not that he'll look great as a rookie, but that he picked up all of the offense and earned a start from OB. (Tom Brady was 1/3 for 6 yards in his rookie year.)

As for FitzMagic, Fear the Beard...
Quote:
Fitzpatrick’s overall PFF grade last season was an unimpressive +0.4, which was good for 21st among 42 passers who played at least 25% of their teams’ snaps. However if we dig deeper, things improve.

According to Pro Football Reference, he ranked 14th in completion percentage (62.0 percent). That’s not excellent, but it doesn’t support his reputation as an inaccurate passer and matches a career high established in 2011.

In fact, PFF’s Accuracy Percentage (Acc.%), which factors dropped passes, throwaways, and spikes, ranked FitzMagic 8th-best at his position. He beat out Tony Romo, Tom Brady, and Andrew Luck (by a good margin) in the metric.

PFF’s own quarterback rating, which also takes drops, throwaways, and spikes into account, incorporates the work receivers do after the catch. Last season Fitzpatrick ranked 12th, in front of Andy Dalton, Matthew Stafford, Cam Newton, and Luck. When faced with a pass rush, Fitzpatrick was fifth in Accuracy% among passers with 25 percent of his teams’ snaps.

Now contrast Fitzpatrick’s Acc.% with that of his predecessor in Houston. Matt Schaub ranked 29th out of 41 qualifiers. Case Keenum, also mucking things up for the Texans while behind center, finished 37th in the metric. Schaub was the 38th/42 graded quarterback by PFF (-15.9), and Keenum the 33rd (-7.6).
And for the fantasy footballers out there...
Quote:
During the 11 weeks that Fitzpatrick played last season, he was the 10th highest scoring fantasy quarterback.
FitzMagic's 2013 interception rate was was poor, but still better than Eli, Cousins, Palmer, Flacco, Cassel, and equal to Jay Cutler and Dalton.

I still wouldn't be surprised to see us pick up another team's droppings at some point if he has some history in this offense, not expecting it. But you need to reboot if you think that guy should be Josh Freeman -- there's more than a few reasons he remains unsigned at 26 going into training camp.
Old 07-08-2014   #350
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbbc833 View Post
Rome was not built in a day
True. But, by the same token, the garbage dump wasn't filled in a day, either.
Old 07-08-2014   #351
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135993 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

As bad as FitzMagic is (hopefully was) I am much more comfortable with him starting than Keenum.
Old 07-08-2014   #352
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
As bad as FitzMagic is (hopefully was) I am much more comfortable with him starting than Keenum.
Me too, but I'm not sure if that means Fitz is that much better or Keenum's just that bad.
Old 07-08-2014   #353
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 15034 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You are using examples of above average to exceptional QB play to try to reach the same conclusion about poor QB play and it fails horribly.
Schaub WAS mentioned. And you could add, Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton, as well
PHILLYTEXANFAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014   #354
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 8295 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=Playoffs;2356432]
Yates at his best may have looked better than Keenum, but he was up & down and his inconsistency irked OB moreso than Keenum's tendency to hold onto the ball too long/slow to process. So TJ was jettisoned.QUOTE]

OB personally called you and let you know his feelings about Keenum and Yates? Please keep us informed each time he calls you.
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014   #355
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=maddogmrb;2356559]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Yates at his best may have looked better than Keenum, but he was up & down and his inconsistency irked OB moreso than Keenum's tendency to hold onto the ball too long/slow to process. So TJ was jettisoned.QUOTE]

OB personally called you and let you know his feelings about Keenum and Yates? Please keep us informed each time he calls you.
Quite possibly! We have a lot of people that have insight to "ALL THINGS TEXANS", then again there is also the possibility of a local stud hero in effect here. Case is obviously very revered by a lot of local fans.

OB may be trying to implement a whole new identity for the Texans but then again, he doesn't want to alienate a fairly significant group of Texans fans.

GO COOGS!!!
Old 07-08-2014   #356
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 8295 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=Texan_Bill;2356562]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogmrb View Post

Quite possibly! We have a lot of people that have insight to "ALL THINGS TEXANS", then again there is also the possibility of a local stud hero in effect here. Case is obviously very revered by a lot of local fans.

OB may be trying to implement a whole new identity for the Texans but then again, he doesn't want to alienate a fairly significant group of Texans fans.

GO COOGS!!!
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014   #357
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Those are encouraging stats from PFF. We need some encouragement at this point. Fitzpatrick has never really had a good team around him. If AJ gets over his problem, if Foster gets healthy, if the line can get it together...this could be a good team. That's lot of ifs. But at least the numbers suggest that Fitzpatrick can do his job if everyone else is doing theirs.
Old 07-09-2014   #358
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Why do you care about the age of a very temporary placeholder? And 30 is a RB age line, not a QB one.
Because the draft/FA is crapshoot. Bringing in a 30 year old place holder is putting all your eggs in one basket... more or less.

An NFL QB is generally who he is going to be by the time he's 30. The odds of Mark Sanchez... or even Josh Freeman turning it around & being a viable place holder are better than Fitzpatrick becoming a true NFL starter.

Whether we like it or not, the future of the Texans QB position looks like Case & Savage, then maybe we get a QB in next year's draft that might pay off. Adding Fitzpatrick to the mix does not change anything, except we're going to watch OB waste 3 or 4 weeks minimum of the regular season with Ryan Fitzpatrick.
Old 07-09-2014   #359
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYTEXANFAN View Post
Carolina would do worse without Cam. I believe the steelers have more losses without Polamalu.
Did the Panthers lose Cam in 2012?

Was Roethlisberger not a Steeler in 2013?
Old 07-09-2014   #360
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 15034 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Did the Panthers lose Cam in 2012?

Was Roethlisberger not a Steeler in 2013?
Lol, just trying to show Cak that sometimes missing one player can make or break a team
PHILLYTEXANFAN is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read