Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-29-2014   #241
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 8295 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bill names QB Fitzpatrick starter

Texec, you are saying that if it was Tom Savage or Manziel or Borttles or Andrew Luck who went thru what Keenum did last year with no running game, a very pourous oline, bad special teams and defense and incompetent coaching that their days would be limited and they don't deserve another chance to see if they can compete with a competent team around them.
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014   #242
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 134080 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogmrb View Post
Texec, you are saying that if it was Tom Savage or Manziel or Borttles or Andrew Luck who went thru what Keenum did last year with no running game, a very pourous oline, bad special teams and defense and incompetent coaching that their days would be limited and they don't deserve another chance to see if they can compete with a competent team around them.
I'm not sure at all at how all of those examples of players are anywhere near comparable to Keenum from last season. Especially with the Luck reference. Luck threw a ton of picks as a rookie, but still managed to win a ton of games and had several come from behind drives to win games as a rookie. Luck was supposed to have a horrible season team wise and made that team a winner right off the bat. Keenum was the exact opposite and was worlds behind Luck from an intelligence standpoint. Luck is probably the most intelligent QB ever coming into the draft as far as the adjustments he was already making in college and the freedom his coaches gave him due to his development he already had.

The excuses for Keenum are crazy honestly. Sure he had a lot of problems on a dysfunctional team, but he also had a guy like Andre freaking Johnson to throw to and a pretty good rookie on top of that. All sorts of young players have come into this league and played well on teams that had a lot of issues. Matt Ryan made his team a winner right away despite having a lack of passing statistics as a rookie. Russel Wilson was a 3rd round pick with a very similar skill set and size to Keenum, but he had good reads on his skill players and could read defenses and continued to improve in his first year of play. Keenum simply didn't and that was the telling tale. He was just like tons of other backup QB's that come in for a small amount of time and immediately play well and then teams watch film on them and play the QB a certain way and the back up QB or the young QB doesn't respond well. That happened to Keenum and he never could figure out creative ways to counter that. Teams around the league saw what made Keenum ineffective, and he failed to adapt to how he was being schemed against. His lack of size didn't help him to overcome things either.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014   #243
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 8295 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Teams around the league saw what made Keenum ineffective, and he failed to adapt to how he was being schemed against. His lack of size didn't help him to overcome things either.

Are we sure it was Keenum who didn't adapt or the coaching staff? I believe much of the problem was on the coaching staff who didn't give him what he needed to succeed. Of course, he made many mistakes and admitted so ... but can't we say that is a normal part of the learning curve? What is not a normal part is the inability of the coaching staff to adapt to what the defenses were doing.

As for his lack of size ... if you look at the photos ... his release point is right about where Savage's is. And Fitz has a history of having balls batted down.

All that said ... I just believe he deserves another chance to win the job with the new staff. If he gets a fair shot and doesn't win it ... then it is on him ... and there's nothing wrong with being a backup QB in the NFL.
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014   #244
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Honestly I just see most of these arguments in this thread as well as others that were made for Yates as so fraudulent.

All of this bashing on Fitzpatrick who has actually played well enough at one time to get an extension from the BIlls where he put up decent numbers one year on a really bad team with a lack of weapons. Fitzpatrick is no prize and only a stop gap for sure, but to see all of this whining and crying all because he is the current starter over "KEENUM" is a freaking joke that makes the intelligence of this board look bad.

If Keenum played for the Jags or the Titans and wasn't from U of H people would laugh at him as much as they have with Gabbert and other failures on those teams. People over hype this kid beyond all rationale even after he clearly showed why he wasn't drafted last season and couldn't win a game. Even after that, you guys still scream his name out as if he is your forgotten son. And then a ton of you are the same ones that laugh at VY fans from years ago and Manziel fans now. Talk about being completely obtuse to your own hypocricy. Lol!

There isn't one team in the league that wants Keenum on their roster. NOT ONE! There has never been any team in the league that acquired about Keenum. Even Kubiak didn't try to drag him with him to Baltimore. Hell, the owner had to force Kubiak to play him last season just because Schaub and Yates were so pathetic and he got his shot and couldn't squeak out one win even with several comfortable first half leads.

And you guys have the nerve to bash Fitzpatrick? Lol! We're in a stop gap year and won't have strong QB play unless Savage somehow turns into something, but I won't be surprised at all if Fitzpatrick plays serviceable under O'Brien. He is a good QB's coach and I'm pretty sure that he chose him for this roster because he is confident that he can handle a lot of the tasks that Bill has for this offense. If he named him the starter this early, I'm pretty sure that he hasn't seen squat from Baby Keenum who more than likely won't even be in the NFL within two years. I like Keenum and I rooted for him a lot last season, but he already had a lack of size which hurt his potential from the start and his poor abilities to recognize defensive schemes and to adapt to the speed of the game clearly showed why he isn't and likely will never be starter material. I can understand why some people would not want Fitzpatrick and all, but to cry about Fitz and turn around and cry for Keenum is like bad comedy.
Not that I want Keenum as starting QB, but what standard did you hold Aikman to after his rookie yr?
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014   #245
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 34200 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I still see a ton of posters clamoring for Keenum. I'm sorry, but I just don't get it at this point. Not trying to sound off, but it's just crazy at this point when he played a strong role in not winning any games for like 10 straight or whatever it was when he came in. He got pulled once or twice as well. Last season a lot of us were rooting hard for the guy and saw potential. I did. It quickly dwindled though after about 4 games, and the reality is that no one around the league sees what all of these Texan fans see that are so infatuated with him. At some point this fact should ring a bell. Every year there is a market for certain back up QB's to start somewhere else or to be back up somewhere else and Keenum doesn't have any takers that are offering anything for him. Yates actually did which was a surprise and I like Keenum better than Yates. I just don't understand why certain folks can't let go of this, especially when it's pretty obvious that it isn't even going to be up for discussion any way. Keenum's days are very likely limited.
The thing is, OK you don't see anything in Keenum to keep him on the squad. Others see enough to believe the book is not closed on this player. The other thing is, coach OB obviously is on the side that wants to see more of Keenum and what he can do. Keenum has already passed OB's first test by beating out Yates. Now comes TC and test two. We'll see.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014   #246
BigBull
Veteran

Rep Power: 8553 BigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I still see a ton of posters clamoring for Keenum. I'm sorry, but I just don't get it at this point. Not trying to sound off, but it's just crazy at this point when he played a strong role in not winning any games for like 10 straight or whatever it was when he came in. He got pulled once or twice as well. Last season a lot of us were rooting hard for the guy and saw potential. I did. It quickly dwindled though after about 4 games, and the reality is that no one around the league sees what all of these Texan fans see that are so infatuated with him. At some point this fact should ring a bell. Every year there is a market for certain back up QB's to start somewhere else or to be back up somewhere else and Keenum doesn't have any takers that are offering anything for him. Yates actually did which was a surprise and I like Keenum better than Yates. I just don't understand why certain folks can't let go of this, especially when it's pretty obvious that it isn't even going to be up for discussion any way. Keenum's days are very likely limited.

Finally someone with sense.

Sent from the future...
BigBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014   #247
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 195710 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I want to see a QB this season that does not lose a game for us. If he wins for us that is gravy for the chicken.
Old 06-29-2014   #248
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Just wanted to come by to say I still think this thread is talking about Pickspatrick AKA Fitzmagic AKA the Amish Rifle being named starter for the Buffalo football franchise.

kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014   #249
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Fitzpatrick names QB Bill starter

We need a good QB, and we don't have one.

Next?

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014   #250
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 195710 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post

Next?
fortunately we do not know that yet.
Old 06-30-2014   #251
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24551 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
fortunately we do not know that yet.
Agreed. We have the luxury/curse of the unknown.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014   #252
GNTLEWOLF
All Pro

Rep Power: 3825 GNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to GNTLEWOLF

Quote:

Next?
Yeah, you are right. We don't have one
GNTLEWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014   #253
Lucky

Rep Power: 213963 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
What I want to see on Sunday's is a QB under center who is making good adjustments, sound decisions and throwing accurate passes.
So, you'll be watching a lot of Patriot and Bronco games, huh?
Old 06-30-2014   #254
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135993 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
So, you'll be watching a lot of Patriot and Bronco games, huh?
Packers!
Old 06-30-2014   #255
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm just glad they chose the course of strengthening the rest of the team and then trying to find the franchise QB, rather than getting a highly draft QB with a terrible OL around him that gets him hurt/gun shy and retards his development. Taking a flyer on Savage is a great start. IMHO
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014   #256
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
First off, I need to, I'd like for you to define "clamoring".

And please differentiate between last season and this off season.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014   #257
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
First off, I need to, I'd like for you to define "clamoring".

And please differentiate between last season and this off season.
We're going to take this thing slowly; my thinking is that you're jumping the gun, whether you have the best argument or not.
Old 06-30-2014   #258
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135993 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
We're going to take this thing slowly; my thinking is that you're jumping the gun, whether you have the best argument or not.
Sybil?
Old 06-30-2014   #259
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
Sybil?
Much?

Old 06-30-2014   #260
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
Sybil?
Always cool to divert from the real argument.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read