Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-26-2014   #221
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bill names QB Fitzpatrick starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Or Keenum

That 4 mil spent on Fitz could've been spent on a CB like Flowers or a RT/LB.
True Dat !
Old 06-26-2014   #222
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Prob because he bounced around from school to school and never really had a chance to settle down. Look at his first season starting, very impressive, then look at his last with Pitt, and he was really impressive even with that horrid o-line.

And are you serious about your pro day over ruling what you have done on the field haha, there are first rounders who do not even have a pro day. So shouldn't those guys go undrafted ? That is horrible logic !
Yes .. I am serious ... haha .... just look at Clowney vs Jason Ankrah ..... Ankrah comes from a better football program and his on the field stats are better than Clowney's.

Don't get me wrong, I want Savage to succeed but you guys are making him to be something really special when he hasn't shown didly squat yet. I hope he turns out to be a great steal in the 4th round.
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014   #223
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogmrb View Post
Yes .. I am serious ... haha .... just look at Clowney vs Jason Ankrah ..... Ankrah comes from a better football program and his on the field stats are better than Clowney's.

Don't get me wrong, I want Savage to succeed but you guys are making him to be something really special when he hasn't shown didly squat yet. I hope he turns out to be a great steal in the 4th round.
That is one example, not to mention Clowney was already picked as top 3 before his pro day.

Like i said before many many high first round picks choose not to have a pro day, so those guys should go undrafted or atleast not 1st round picks ?
Old 06-26-2014   #224
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Like i said before many many high first round picks choose not to have a pro day, so those guys should go undrafted or atleast not 1st round picks ?
I never said anything about this .... these are your words not mine ... have a nice day ...
Old 06-26-2014   #225
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
I never said anything about this .... these are your words not mine ... have a nice day ...
Here is what you said

Quote:
you can't blame it on his being out of football for a year or moving to different schools. The combine and pro days will overrule that.
Pro day has very little impact on where a majority of players are picked. You think he could be projected a 5th rounder, have a good PRO day and then suddenly be projected a first rounder. The lack of play time in college is why he was drafted so low, and from what he showed when he did play, had he played a full career he would of been a 1st or early 2nd rounder.

Not to mention obviously Bill saw enough in him to wait until the 5th round to take a QB
Old 06-26-2014   #226
maddogmrb
All Pro

Quote:
Here is what you said

Pro day has very little impact on where a majority of players are picked. You think he could be projected a 5th rounder, have a good PRO day and then suddenly be projected a first rounder. The lack of play time in college is why he was drafted so low, and from what he showed when he did play, had he played a full career he would of been a 1st or early 2nd rounder.

Not to mention obviously Bill saw enough in him to wait until the 5th round to take a QB
Ellis, I agree to disagree with you about the pro day ... I believe it has significant impact or they wouldn't go thru the trouble ... and I didn't say that it would make a 5th rounder a first rounder .... WHAT I DID SAY was that what many on these boards are saying about Savage applies to 1st rounders and so THEY are the ones making him sound so good.
Old 06-26-2014   #227
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Ellis, I agree to disagree with you about the pro day ... I believe it has significant impact or they wouldn't go thru the trouble ... and I didn't say that it would make a 5th rounder a first rounder .... WHAT I DID SAY was that what many on these boards are saying about Savage applies to 1st rounders and so THEY are the ones making him sound so good.
Yes a lot of us do agree had Savage played a full college career that he would of been 1st round talent, but his Pro day had little to do with where he was picked which is basically what you said.

We had the opportunity to take many QBs before him and we waited, so it is what it is. I will trust Bill knows what he's doing until i see otherwise.
Old 06-26-2014   #228
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34647 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Tj would be a better stop gap than Fitzpatrick.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014   #229
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
He went 4-7-1 that year. They didn't make the play-offs and ended up 4-11-1.

EDIT: Damn. Beat me to it.
So you're saying if Palmer hadn't sucked so bad with the hurt elbow Fitz was well on his way to a 8-7-1 season right?

That would have been "winning"

Old 06-27-2014   #230
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I think he's shown quite a bit considering his situation.
Old 06-27-2014   #231
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Actually, I'm talking like he's a bad stop gap. A very bad stop gap.

Tj & Keenum are better stop gaps. jmo
I don't like Fitzpatrick at all but to say that TJ is better than him based off of like 7 games seems a bit over the top. There's not really enough of a sample size for TJ, but he wasn't doing anything better than Fitzpatrick has done in his time on the field.
Old 06-28-2014   #232
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I don't like Fitzpatrick at all but to say that TJ is better than him based off of like 7 games seems a bit over the top. There's not really enough of a sample size for TJ, but he wasn't doing anything better than Fitzpatrick has done in his time on the field.
My opinion is based more on Fitzpatrick's sample size.
Old 06-29-2014   #233
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly I just see most of these arguments in this thread as well as others that were made for Yates as so fraudulent.

All of this bashing on Fitzpatrick who has actually played well enough at one time to get an extension from the BIlls where he put up decent numbers one year on a really bad team with a lack of weapons. Fitzpatrick is no prize and only a stop gap for sure, but to see all of this whining and crying all because he is the current starter over "KEENUM" is a freaking joke that makes the intelligence of this board look bad.

If Keenum played for the Jags or the Titans and wasn't from U of H people would laugh at him as much as they have with Gabbert and other failures on those teams. People over hype this kid beyond all rationale even after he clearly showed why he wasn't drafted last season and couldn't win a game. Even after that, you guys still scream his name out as if he is your forgotten son. And then a ton of you are the same ones that laugh at VY fans from years ago and Manziel fans now. Talk about being completely obtuse to your own hypocricy. Lol!

There isn't one team in the league that wants Keenum on their roster. NOT ONE! There has never been any team in the league that acquired about Keenum. Even Kubiak didn't try to drag him with him to Baltimore. Hell, the owner had to force Kubiak to play him last season just because Schaub and Yates were so pathetic and he got his shot and couldn't squeak out one win even with several comfortable first half leads.

And you guys have the nerve to bash Fitzpatrick? Lol! We're in a stop gap year and won't have strong QB play unless Savage somehow turns into something, but I won't be surprised at all if Fitzpatrick plays serviceable under O'Brien. He is a good QB's coach and I'm pretty sure that he chose him for this roster because he is confident that he can handle a lot of the tasks that Bill has for this offense. If he named him the starter this early, I'm pretty sure that he hasn't seen squat from Baby Keenum who more than likely won't even be in the NFL within two years. I like Keenum and I rooted for him a lot last season, but he already had a lack of size which hurt his potential from the start and his poor abilities to recognize defensive schemes and to adapt to the speed of the game clearly showed why he isn't and likely will never be starter material. I can understand why some people would not want Fitzpatrick and all, but to cry about Fitz and turn around and cry for Keenum is like bad comedy.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014   #234
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 179094 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Honestly I just see most of these arguments in this thread as well as others that were made for Yates as so fraudulent.

All of this bashing on Fitzpatrick who has actually played well enough at one time to get an extension from the BIlls where he put up decent numbers one year on a really bad team with a lack of weapons. Fitzpatrick is no prize and only a stop gap for sure, but to see all of this whining and crying all because he is the current starter over "KEENUM" is a freaking joke that makes the intelligence of this board look bad.

If Keenum played for the Jags or the Titans and wasn't from U of H people would laugh at him as much as they have with Gabbert and other failures on those teams. People over hype this kid beyond all rationale even after he clearly showed why he wasn't drafted last season and couldn't win a game. Even after that, you guys still scream his name out as if he is your forgotten son. And then a ton of you are the same ones that laugh at VY fans from years ago and Manziel fans now. Talk about being completely obtuse to your own hypocricy. Lol!

There isn't one team in the league that wants Keenum on their roster. NOT ONE! There has never been any team in the league that asked acquired about Keenum. Hell, the owner had to force Kubiak to play him last season just because Schaub and Yates were so pathetic and he got his shot and couldn't squeak out one win even with several comfortable first half leads.

And you guys have the nerve to bash Fitzpatrick? Lol! We're in a stop gap year and won't have strong QB play unless Savage somehow turns into something, but I won't be surprised at all if Fitzpatrick plays serviceable under O'Brien. He is a good QB's coach and I'm pretty sure that he chose him for this roster because he is confident that he can handle a lot of the tasks that Bill has for this offense. If he named him the starter this early, I'm pretty sure that he hasn't seen squat from Baby Keenum who more than likely won't even be in the NFL within two years.
Tex you sell electricity ?
Old 06-29-2014   #235
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Tex you sell electricity ?
I just IM'd you.
Old 06-29-2014   #236
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 179094 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I just IM'd you.
Got it .

Fitz is there to hold the fort until the permanent guy reveals himself or the next one shows up .
Old 06-29-2014   #237
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Got it .

Fitz is there to hold the fort until the permanent guy reveals himself or the next one shows up .
Exactly. He isn't going to be great or flashy. We are going to be a run based offense with limited explosive plays and we'll be trying to win the ugly way. Many teams have had successful teams doing that in the past and that looks like what we'll have to do until we find a real QB.

I can understand the lack of excitement for the offense due to the QB position, but it is what it is. I just don't understand this alarming need to see Keenum out there again this season after we watched him for like 8 or 9 games last year and saw what he had. I rooted for him big time and argued on behalf of him before he got his chance and in his first few games. But by the end of the season, he did not improve. He regressed actually and maybe he still has certain potential, but not the kind of potential that would lead him to ever be a full time starter that would be a top 10 type of guy every year. I think that people who are still clawing onto that idea for dear life are suffering really ferociously from homerism for the hometown kid.
Old 06-29-2014   #238
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Tex, you act like there are hundred posters on here that cry and whine about and for Keenum.

From what I read, there seems to be an agreement from a good majority that Keenum has to beat out Fitz if he's ever going to amount to much of anything.

Fitz has experience on his side.
Keenum is an UDFA that was not even brought in by OB.
He faces an uphill battle to win the starting job.

Heck, at this moment, he is still battling for a spot on the roster.

Personally, I've saying that Keenum gets an Incomplete grade from me.

The NFL is a tough business.
Keenum has to show improvement to earn his keep.
I believe that he will; by how much, who knows.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014   #239
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

I want to think that OB is the next great offensive genius / mastermind QB guru guy, just like Kubiak was touted, but it's possible that there isn't that much QB talent available. Fitz could have been the best option available, period. Maybe there isn't another QB on the roster worth a damn, and if so, I expect to see more QB's brought in at least for evaluation. But it's a new regime. OB has the luxury of a rebuild, regardless of the current talent (or lack of) on the roster.

In turn, the Texans offense could be dismal. What I think we need to all be looking at from week to week at the QB position is progress. The brand that comes with OB should involve an offense that looks different from week to week, depending on who we are playing.

What I want to see on Sunday's is a QB under center who is making good adjustments, sound decisions and throwing accurate passes. I want to see schemes that take advantage of the weakness' of the individual opponents on a player by player basis. I want to see mismatches and smart schemes. Something that tells us that the coaching staff is COACHING the players and schemes WELL.

Who that guy is under center, at this stage in the process (it IS June, still) is not as significant as the guys coaching him from Monday to Saturday.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014   #240
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Tex, you act like there are hundred posters on here that cry and whine about and for Keenum.

From what I read, there seems to be an agreement from a good majority that Keenum has to beat out Fitz if he's ever going to amount to much of anything.

Fitz has experience on his side.
Keenum is an UDFA that was not even brought in by OB.
He faces an uphill battle to win the starting job.

Heck, at this moment, he is still battling for a spot on the roster.

Personally, I've saying that Keenum gets an Incomplete grade from me.

The NFL is a tough business.
Keenum has to show improvement to earn his keep.
I believe that he will; by how much, who knows.

I still see a ton of posters clamoring for Keenum. I'm sorry, but I just don't get it at this point. Not trying to sound off, but it's just crazy at this point when he played a strong role in not winning any games for like 10 straight or whatever it was when he came in. He got pulled once or twice as well. Last season a lot of us were rooting hard for the guy and saw potential. I did. It quickly dwindled though after about 4 games, and the reality is that no one around the league sees what all of these Texan fans see that are so infatuated with him. At some point this fact should ring a bell. Every year there is a market for certain back up QB's to start somewhere else or to be back up somewhere else and Keenum doesn't have any takers that are offering anything for him. Yates actually did which was a surprise and I like Keenum better than Yates. I just don't understand why certain folks can't let go of this, especially when it's pretty obvious that it isn't even going to be up for discussion any way. Keenum's days are very likely limited.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read