Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-24-2014   #181
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bill names QB Fitzpatrick starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Not really sure why is this is even news right now to people. Fitz has the most experience by far and training camp hasn't even started yet. There is plenty of time for someone else to unseat him. Surely he isn't that far ahead and if so then he must be playing well. People whining about the QB situation is such a waste of time because our entire roster is trash at QB. The Keenum dreams need to go away. They've ran their course. It's just silliness at this point. We aren't going to compete this season as a team that is a high scoring passing team. They're going to play with defense, intelligence, running the ball, and TO's. They don't have any other choice until the find a franchise QB.
I hate to remind you something Tex; hell, let me just leave it at that, 'cause I always think that you're a good guy.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014   #182
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 8295 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

I will be pleasantly surprised if Fitz is any more than a stop gap at QB for this team. His 10 year history suggests that is what he is, a capable backup.

I understand the excitement about Savage because he has a big arm. But, his ONLY real accomplishment as a QB to date is his ability to overthrow receivers by 10 yards. Thru the years there have been thousands of big arm QBs who never amounted to anything ... every team has had them ... just like fast WRs. It takes a lot more than a big arm to be a successful QB. Perhaps he will develop into a good QB ... I hope he does but I think it will take time. He is too raw at this point.

To me, the real hope for good QB play this year is Keenum. Of the 3, he seems to have the most upside and showed flashes of really good things last year in the midst of a pathetic season with a bad oline, no running game, poor coaching, and lousy defense and special teams. Of course, the key is that he has to learn from the many poor decisions he made and elevate his game overall. I believe he can do that but, we will see. If Keenum does elevate his game this year we can be a team that goes anywhere from 7-9 to 9-7 with significant upside for the future years. If he doesn't elevate his game and the team goes with Fitz all year then I believe we will be a 5-11 to 7-9 team with no upside for the future with him. If the team ends with Savage as #1 for any significant part of the season, then both Fitz and Keenum couldn't do the job and we will see bad QB play all year and end up anywhere from 2-14 to 4-12.
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014   #183
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 84406 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not really sure why is this is even news right now to people. Fitz has the most experience by far and training camp hasn't even started yet. There is plenty of time for someone else to unseat him. Surely he isn't that far ahead and if so then he must be playing well. People whining about the QB situation is such a waste of time because our entire roster is trash at QB. The Keenum dreams need to go away. They've ran their course. It's just silliness at this point. We aren't going to compete this season as a team that is a high scoring passing team. They're going to play with defense, intelligence, running the ball, and TO's. They don't have any other choice until the find a franchise QB.
If your kid fell off his bike the first time he tried it out, would you have said he'll never get it and dispose of the bike? That's sort of what you're doing with Keenum.

I think we have three QB which can do an adequate job and possibly we will find one that will do a good job. But great QBs are rare, not common and they don't come around every year.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014   #184
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34365 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogmrb View Post
I will be pleasantly surprised if Fitz is any more than a stop gap at QB for this team. His 10 year history suggests that is what he is, a capable backup.

I understand the excitement about Savage because he has a big arm. But, his ONLY real accomplishment as a QB to date is his ability to overthrow receivers by 10 yards. Thru the years there have been thousands of big arm QBs who never amounted to anything ... every team has had them ... just like fast WRs. It takes a lot more than a big arm to be a successful QB. Perhaps he will develop into a good QB ... I hope he does but I think it will take time. He is too raw at this point.
I don't know if you have watched Savage. In college he wasn't known for overthrowing his receivers. Actually he doesn't only have a strong arm, he also has a very accurate arm. Very few balls really got away from him.

Savages problems have nothing to do with his arm strength, accuracy or footwork (although all can and should of course improve). His problems are going through his reads fast enough and dissecting a defense.

That is what is exciting about Savage. He has the size, the strength, the accuracy, the body that can take a beating and the pocket presence of a franchise QB. He looks the part and the only thing holding him back is the mental aspect. He was out of football a long time and never played in a system longer than a year in college, so that is to be expected. Still, a lot of QBs that have it all have failed the mental aspect and thus failed in the NFL.

I am pretty sure Bill wants to know before the end of the season, if Savage can drastically improve in the mental aspect of the game. If that means Savage needs to start some games, he will start some games (if Fitz isn't really Fitzmagic), but I don't think Bill needs to see that. He can gather enough information in practice. But Bill wants to know: can Savage be our guy of the future or do I need to draft a QB in the first round?
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014   #185
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
I don't know if you have watched Savage. In college he wasn't known for overthrowing his receivers. Actually he doesn't only have a strong arm, he also has a very accurate arm. Very few balls really got away from him.

Savages problems have nothing to do with his arm strength, accuracy or footwork (although all can and should of course improve). His problems are going through his reads fast enough and dissecting a defense.

That is what is exciting about Savage. He has the size, the strength, the accuracy, the body that can take a beating and the pocket presence of a franchise QB. He looks the part and the only thing holding him back is the mental aspect. He was out of football a long time and never played in a system longer than a year in college, so that is to be expected. Still, a lot of QBs that have it all have failed the mental aspect and thus failed in the NFL.

I am pretty sure Bill wants to know before the end of the season, if Savage can drastically improve in the mental aspect of the game. If that means Savage needs to start some games, he will start some games (if Fitz isn't really Fitzmagic), but I don't think Bill needs to see that. He can gather enough information in practice. But Bill wants to know: can Savage be our guy of the future or do I need to draft a QB in the first round?
Someone on the radio said Savage was a professional thrower of the football . That he had the touch , accuracy , and the arm strength needed to be a professional QB . It remains to be seen if he has the mental part .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014   #186
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125690 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
If your kid fell off his bike the first time he tried it out, would you have said he'll never get it and dispose of the bike? That's sort of what you're doing with Keenum.

I think we have three QB which can do an adequate job and possibly we will find one that will do a good job. But great QBs are rare, not common and they don't come around every year.
What a silly analogy. Keenum had practically a half a season. I was big on his band wagon to see what he had myself but I saw it. I'm seriously starting to think that this board is the worst group of fans I've ever seen in my life at analyzing QBs. For years I heard that Yates was going to be some special player one day and that he just needed time and he had all if this potential. Some of the craziest stuff I've seen anywhere and Yates never looked good at any time. And here we are with Keenum now since he went to Houston you guys just can't let it go. I'm embarrassed for some of you at this point. Constantly clamoring for Tyler Thigpen 2.0 is about as sad as it can get especially when we just had a 2-14 team where Thigpen Jr. Couldn't squeak out one win to save his life. He is never going to be a full time starter here. I'd love to be proven wrong on that, but a meteor hitting the earth is a lot more likely at this point.Kubiak was the only chance he ever had and he got it and then eventually showed why he went undrafted. You think some of you would rather have the Texans stink as long as your hometown boys are playing here or your Sunday church coach is here. Hell, half this forum didn't give a damn how bad the Texans were as long as they had Kubiak here. They loved the coach more than they loved potential success for the team. I'm seeing the same thing with Keenum.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014   #187
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 126475 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What a silly analogy. Keenum had practically a half a season. I was big on his band wagon to see what he had myself but I saw it. I'm seriously starting to think that this board is the worst group of fans I've ever seen in my life at analyzing QBs. For years I heard that Yates was going to be some special player one day and that he just needed time and he had all if this potential. Some of the craziest stuff I've seen anywhere and Yates never looked good at any time. And here we are with Keenum now since he went to Houston you guys just can't let it go. I'm embarrassed for some of you at this point. Constantly clamoring for Tyler Thigpen 2.0 is about as sad as it can get especially when we just had a 2-14 team where Thigpen Jr. Couldn't squeak out one win to save his life. He is never going to be a full time starter here. I'd love to be proven wrong on that, but a meteor hitting the earth is a lot more likely at this point.Kubiak was the only chance he ever had and he got it and then eventually showed why he went undrafted. You think some of you would rather have the Texans stink as long as your hometown boys are playing here or your Sunday church coach is here. Hell, half this forum didn't give a damn how bad the Texans were as long as they had Kubiak here. They loved the coach more than they loved potential success for the team. I'm seeing the same thing with Keenum.
To be fair though the defense was shattered when Keenum took over, he had no Foster no O.D a horrible O-Line. Let's don't pretend he was in the best of situations. He did manage to keep the games close, had the defense been worth a damn we might had one a few games. I personally think Keenum looked good considering the situation.
Old 06-24-2014   #188
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

As a Keenum fan let me say that if Case can't beat Fitzpatrick out of the starting job in four preseason games and a month of training camp practices then he's not the guy. I'm not sure that Ryan Fitzpatrick has ever held anyone down on the depth chart in his entire NFL career. No one who ever amounted to anything.

There's no story until training camp happens and even then there's no new news on that non-existent story until preseason games start happening.
Old 06-24-2014   #189
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68452 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm still holding hope for Keenum. Things have always been tough for him, but like Hervoyel said, if Keenum can't beat Fitzpatrick, then it's time to move on and I'm ok with it.

But something tells me that he won't back down and somehow try to fight his way to win the starting job.
santo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014   #190
TheDrifter
All Pro

Rep Power: 20017 TheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respected

I am petitioning we rename the thread to "Just got some distrubing news about Fitzpatrick."
TheDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014   #191
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 8295 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrifter View Post
I am petitioning we rename the thread to "Just got some distrubing news about Fitzpatrick."
LOL!
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014   #192
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
You think back on those Bills teams, those Cincy teams that Titan team, not much to work with at any of those stops.
My memory can't be counted on for crap, but didn't he take over for Carson Palmer when Carson Palmer was a stud & they had a decent play-off team?
Old 06-24-2014   #193
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
My memory can't be counted on for crap, but didn't he take over for Carson Palmer when Carson Palmer was a stud & they had a decent play-off team?
That was the year that Palmer injured his throwing elbow during one of the first games of the season. Palmer sat out, then tried to come back the beginning of October but couldn't perform but as a lame-winged duck because of what several specialist finally determined to have had a virtually shredded his ulnar collateral ligament of his elbow. They ALL strongly recommended Tommy John surgery. In all the absences of Palmer that season, Fitzpatrick won the starting duties by default. In 13 games, he logged 8 TDs with 9 INTs and 38 sacks with 11 fumbles of which he lost 1/2.......ending up with a 70 QB rating leading the Bengals to a pretty pitifull 4-11-1 season.........sniffing nowhere close to a playoff birth.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014   #194
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
That was the year that Palmer injured his throwing elbow during one of the first games of the season. Palmer sat out, then tried to come back the beginning of October but couldn't perform but as a lame-winged duck because of what several specialist finally determined to have had a virtually shredded his ulnar collateral ligament of his elbow. They ALL strongly recommended Tommy John surgery. In all the absences of Palmer that season, Fitzpatrick won the starting duties by default. In 13 games, he logged 8 TDs with 9 INTs and 38 sacks with 11 fumbles of which he lost 1/2.......ending up with a 70 QB rating leading the Bengals to a pretty pitifull 4-11-1 season.........sniffing nowhere close to a playoff birth.
Man,

That's some uplifting stuff there.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014   #195
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
He went 4-7-1 that year. They didn't make the play-offs and ended up 4-11-1.

EDIT: Damn. Beat me to it.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014   #196
TheDrifter
All Pro

Rep Power: 20017 TheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
He went 4-7-1 that year. They didn't make the play-offs and ended up 4-11-1.

EDIT: Damn. Beat me to it.
....so he was more successful than Palmer.
TheDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014   #197
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrifter View Post
....so he was more successful than Palmer.
That comparison may as well been drawn with Palmer playing with his throwing arm tied behind his back.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014   #198
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Man,

That's some uplifting stuff there.
STOKED!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014   #199
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I would not rule out Ryan Mallett sometime before or during TC. Two big boys playing a waiting game, trying to out wit one another, not sure who is more stubborn Bellichick or O'Brian

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014   #200
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I would not rule out Ryan Mallett sometime before or during TC...
Mallett with a knee brace, was limited. Jimmy G looking okay.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read