Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-18-2014   #41
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90635 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans mandatory minicamp 2014: June 17-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post
In all honesty, did anyone consider Kubiak installing the Denver offense here in Houston as a fresh new innovative approach? It was a proven system in which he spent his entire coaching career. We knew exactly what we were getting. I personally am still not sure WHAT an OB team will end up looking like, because he has had multiple influences on his coaching style. I am sure that we will see many things from NE, but I just don't think he is trying to be Patriots South. IMHO, of course.
Maybe it's subjective? When something is successful people label it innovative. Sure we knew a style of offense we were getting , but we didn't quite know how it would be implemented. Funny how during a 12-4 season you can watch talking heads call it innovative. 2-14 and suddenly the coaches are no longer genius. My description of innovative here is a reiteration of all the b.s. we heard about kubiak in Denver and upon first arriving here. I know it's been a few years back and ZBS is now so common no one thinks twice about it - but that wasn't always the case.

Before kubiak and the ZBS, we had Capers and "innovative zone dog." Funny how Vic fangio was a chump for us but is brilliant for san Francisco. Now it's "multiples" and flexible schemes catered to specific game plans. Forgive me if I want to wait and see before I shoot my load worshiping O'Brien. He may be the next Lombardi , but I'm not going to crown him based off player quotes and media reports that are not only limited but restricted.
Old 06-18-2014   #42
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
I'll be happy with 7-9.
I'd be pleasantly shocked if we won 8 or more games this year as well.
Old 06-18-2014   #43
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182216 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans issues weren't going to be solved in one offseason . Clowney was the best player from a potential standpoint and they took him . If they draft Jimmy G they wouldn't have the best guard blocking for him . If they traded for Teddy B then they might not have Feido or Nix who both give the Texans much needed size and strength . No they took Savage who has as much arm talent as anyone in the draft and got him in the 4th . If it doesn't workout they'll be more QBs next year and he'll have a better OL and defense to help him .
Old 06-18-2014   #44
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96241 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Maybe it's subjective? When something is successful people label it innovative. Sure we knew a style of offense we were getting , but we didn't quite know how it would be implemented. Funny how during a 12-4 season you can watch talking heads call it innovative. 2-14 and suddenly the coaches are no longer genius. My description of innovative here is a reiteration of all the b.s. we heard about kubiak in Denver and upon first arriving here. I know it's been a few years back and ZBS is now so common no one thinks twice about it - but that wasn't always the case.

Before kubiak and the ZBS, we had Capers and "innovative zone dog." Funny how Vic fangio was a chump for us but is brilliant for san Francisco. Now it's "multiples" and flexible schemes catered to specific game plans. Forgive me if I want to wait and see before I shoot my load worshiping O'Brien. He may be the next Lombardi , but I'm not going to crown him based off player quotes and media reports that are not only limited but restricted.
I completely agree. We'll be innovative in the fact that we won't being seeing the same ol' tired offense based off of play-action - & everyone will be happy to see something different is all.

But talent makes everything better. I suspect that we've got great burgeoning talent on the defensive side of the ball to realize what everyone thinks can happen with the defense & Crennel. On the offensive side, i think we'll have the ability to be much more creative with BO'B's offense, but we won't get to see it on full tilt b/c of our limits in talent until late in the season when i believe Savage will begin starting games for us.

i also think AJ won't be here to see it either...he's gone after this year.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014   #45
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 120726 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
The Texans issues weren't going to be solved in one offseason . Clowney was the best player from a potential standpoint and they took him . If they draft Jimmy G they wouldn't have the best guard blocking for him . If they traded for Teddy B then they might not have Feido or Nix who both give the Texans much needed size and strength . No they took Savage who has as much arm talent as anyone in the draft and got him in the 4th . If it doesn't workout they'll be more QBs next year and he'll have a better OL and defense to help him .
Arm talent is all well and good, but he's a longshot that may/may not pay off. It's a near certainty he won't pay any dividends this year.

The "there will be more xxx next year" is a story that the Texans didn't need to fall back on with the number of picks they had to play with. The Texans aren't "rebuilding" remember?
Old 06-18-2014   #46
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Quote:
Keenum on Yates "He helped me so much last year. There’s not many people like that. T.J. is a good friend of mine."

Keenum on Yates "I learned a lot from him. I’ve got the utmost respect for him, not just as a player because he’s also a great person."

Keenum on Yates "He busted his tail since before I got here. We made each other better. We competed since the day I got here."

Case Keenum on Art Briles, who recruited him to UH "He’s always been my guy. I’ve got a lot of respect for him as a person and as a coach."

Tania Ganguli @taniaganguli
Quote:
O'Brien did not rule out bringing in a veteran QB is one he thinks could help the Texans were available. #Texans

O'Brien says he still has to make a decision on who the backup QB will be. #Texans

"I have nothing but good things to say about him," O'Brien on Yates. He came in here and worked hard. He's a good pro." #Texans
Dave Zangaro @DZangaro
Quote:
Keenum asked if his mobility gives him an advantage. He said he feels last yr when he ran that’s when he got into trouble. avoiding it now.

O'Brien said it was in the best interest of the team to go with three quarterbacks. #Texans
Jayson Braddock @JaysonBraddock
Quote:
Ricky Sapp said he took up boxing and hot yoga during the offseason. Said the yoga has improved his agility. #Texans

Sapp said he's up to 262. More physical OLBs

@PatDStat Whitney Mercilus said he was at 252 lbs last season. Now he is at 260 lbs. #Texans

O'Brien says the next 4 weeks are a huge time for these players. Said they need to stay in their books & come back in great shape

O'Brien views Alfred Blue as a 1st & 2nd back currently, but long term he could develop into a 3 down back. Will contribute on STs.

"TJ Yates, nothing but good things to say about him." - O'Brien
Mark Berman @MarkBermanFox26
Quote:
DeVier Posey on Ryan Fitzpatrick: "Cowboy mentality. You feed off of that toughness. Sort of creates your identity when that's your leader"

Briles on O'Brien: "We visited a little.I think he'll do an outstanding job.He's a great football coach.I think he's doing a great job here"

Briles on OBrien "He did a phenomenal job at Penn State. They overcame so many obstacles. It as an amazing job."

Bill O'Brien was asked if he could still bring in a veteran QB & he said the Texans will always do what is in the best interest of the team

Bill O'Brien says he still has a decision to make on who his backup quarterback will be.

"Mainly because I saw where Case (Keenum) made the team. We got a couple of other guys from Baylor here. Came to say hello"

Art Briles @Texans practice to congratulate @casekeenum7 "I'm just tickled to death for him. Happy he has a chance to perform. He's a great player"
Deepi Sidhu @DeepSlant
Quote:
O'Brien on RB Alfred Blue: We initially saw him as a 1st & 2nd down back, special teams. "He's performed admirably." #Texans

O'Brien likes to point out to players how much they've improved during morning meetings, especially veterans. #Texans
Stephanie Stradley @StephStradley
Quote:
Sure O'Brien can run his offense with the physical skills of his QBs. Run it well? Lots of people will pay money to find that out.

Um MT @PatDStat Is there any physical limitations of his QBs that don't allow him to run his offense? O'Brien: "Nope" pic.twitter.com/B8nYMSo0TQ

Bill O'Brien is fortunate that he is a human being and not a puppet whose nose grows when he is less than truthful. /Like all coaches.
ReplyAll ‏@ReplyAlldotme
Quote:
#Texans Q&A with @ChronSport's @StephStradley keeps getting more Q's and giving more A's...

http://www.replyall.me/stephanie-str...t-texans-otas/
PDS @PatDStat
Quote:
Posey said Andre Johnson is one of his good friends and says they talk all the time. #Texans

Alfred Blue on if #LSU did what it needed to get him ready for the NFL? Blue Answered "No Doubt." #Texans

"We have bought in to O'Brien because he wants to win." Mercilus on Bill O'Brien.

Romeo Crennel wants smart players out there. #Texans

Mercilus the #Texans defense had issues with communication last season. Says Crennel will not accept that this season.

Baylor Coach Art Briles caught up with former players Case Keenum, Terrance Lloyd and Chris McAllister prior to #Texans practice.

"I have seen a lot of good things." O'Brien on DeVier Posey. #Texans

Last edited by Playoffs; 06-18-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014   #47
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Rep Power: 75928 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Tania Ganguli @taniaganguli

Quote:
O'Brien did not rule out bringing in a veteran QB is one he thinks could help the Texans were available. #Texans

Quote:
O'Brien says he still has to make a decision on who the backup QB will be. #Texans
Interesting. So the way I am reading this is, the battle is now between Keenum and Savage to make the team? Which seems kind of silly because we all know they are not going to cut Savage after just drafting him.

Will O'Brien carry 3 QB's into the regular season, or is it possible Keenum gets cut after training camp?

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-18-2014   #48
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 203027 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I hesitate to put very much into what OB is saying about players...........has anyone heard him say ANYTHING significantly critical of ANY player to this point????
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014   #49
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 119762 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I hesitate to put very much into what OB is saying about players...........has anyone heard him say ANYTHING significantly critical of ANY player to this point????
Because every player has bought in and he knows deep down in his heart this is our year finally!

DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014   #50
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 203027 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

There is eerily no mention of anything on our kicking game. I'm afraid to ask. Both of the kickers apparently going into camp have me very nervous.
Old 06-18-2014   #51
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
Interesting. So the way I am reading this...?
Best guess is Fitz, Keenum, Savage with the possibility of adding a veteran -- released by another team -- to replace one of the three.

Quote:
OB doesn't do his laundry in public. Thinks it's a chickensh!t way to go about your business. "Conversations between me and the player are private." I think we'll witness OB's temper on display when it counts.

Quote:
There is eerily no mention of anything on our kicking game. I'm afraid to ask. Both of the kickers apparently going into camp have me very nervous.
Last day of OTAs. Bullock clearly ahead at this point.
Old 06-18-2014   #52
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Last day of OTAs. Bullock clearly ahead at this point.
That gives me absolutely no solace.
Old 06-18-2014   #53
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

--houstontexans.com
Old 06-18-2014   #54
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

--houstontexans.com
Old 06-18-2014   #55
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88550 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Seems there are quite a few pics of OB having one on one interactions with Arian.
xtruroyaltyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014   #56
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 119762 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Seems there are quite a few pics of OB having one on one interactions with Arian.
Maybe BOB speaks pterodactyl
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014   #57
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214275 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance87 View Post
I want to hear more about Keenum's deep balls.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014   #58
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Rep Power: 75928 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Maybe BOB speaks pterodactyl
lol

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014   #59
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101421 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Fitz looks horrible, big time gut, short with bad posture. Hell if he can make the team surely i can, any word on open try outs ?
Old 06-18-2014   #60
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214275 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

--houstontexans.com
When I see the bearded #14 take the field, I'm gonna shut off my brain and pretend it's THIS guy

and if we can just get him a #80 to throw to...

This might not be a half bad <imaginary> offense
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read