Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-17-2014   #21
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199937 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans mandatory minicamp 2014: June 17-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
This was a foregone conclusion the minute he signed. Is anyone even mildly surprised?

And BTW - accuracy and poor decision making are two different concepts. A QB might be incredibly accurate but it he makes poor decisions his TD/INT ratio may not be very good.

And he is easily the best QB on the roster at the moment. Doesn't make him a world beater, just the best of a bad lot and he gives this team the best chance to win this year and frankly it's not close.

I seriously doubt we see Savage start any games this year. I think some of you guys are in for some disappointment. At best, maybe some mop up duty to get his feet wet, but more than likely he never gets a single snap all year imho.
You are indeed correct. But a QB with poor accuracy will seldom show good decision making. This commonly will not be appreciated until the game speeds up when live bullets start flying.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014   #22
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
*sigh*

Ryan Fitzpatrick is a garbage QB, and last year 99% of this board would have agreed with this statement.

Let the pumping begin.

I wouldn't call him garbage... that's just not my way, but I see where you're coming from.

My opinion, just like last year when Kubiak was saying there was a QB battle for the back up position & I kept saying it was just Jedi mind tricks. He knew Yates was going to be the back up & the chances of Keenum "winning" the job in camp was nil.

Same thing here. They're saying it's a competition, they named Fitz the starter, but come week 1, Keenum is going to start. This is just Jedi mind tricks, putting Keenum in this situation, again, to see how he handles it.
Old 06-17-2014   #23
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I'll feel that way by regular season kickoff in September.

Right now, though...I just can't help but...let it sink in....Ryan Fitzpatrick....Texans....starting....QB
I know how I felt when he took over for Tennessee. As a comparison, I thought Jacksonville was in better shape with Henne starting.
Old 06-17-2014   #24
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282041 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock
Quote:
Jonathan Grimes looks as if his burst may be improved this year. Tom Savage is still taking too long with his progressions.

Alec Lemon beat Elbert Mack on a deep corner route & Case Keenum placed the ball perfectly on the outstretched hands of Lemon.

Fitzpatrick showed some of his veteran ability today. Rolled right, S Clemons blanketed TE Griffin. Fitz placed ball back inside for comp

Case Keenum rolled right & threw a perfect touch pass into the deep corner of the EZ & Grimes went up & pulled in a two-foot tap Touchdown.

The #Texans defense showed a new wrinkle today that I haven't seen all offseason. Smart staff.

Max Bullough played tight coverage on TE Ryan Griffin & before Griffin could complete the catch, Bullough ripped the ball out.

Mandatory #Texans notes: Dennis Johnson is impossible to cover in the flat when he darts out of the backfield in the passing game.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014   #25
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Keenum flashes in preseason because people get to see his very good deep ball and people get to OOOOOOHHH and AAAAAHHHH.

Training camp deep balls don't happen as often IRL.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014   #26
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 82097 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

I want to hear more about Keenum's deep balls.
Old 06-17-2014   #27
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Keenum flashes in preseason because people get to see his very good deep ball and people get to OOOOOOHHH and AAAAAHHHH.

Training camp deep balls don't happen as often IRL.
I watched several IRL last season. Granted, we all know the ending note. This is a different year, the guy has had his mistakes drilled through his skull, has gotten to the facility early and left late, studied mucho film (from reports, I wasn't there) He's on the roster and TJ is hitchhiking . But I'm more than sure he left with "an apple and a roadmap" I'm gonna give the guy that makes the call a fair berth at this point...

We'll all watch together. As DB always says "It's just entertainment." That move was entertaining to me.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-17-2014   #28
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance87 View Post
You'd maybe need to PM Trap Star?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014   #29
bayoudreamn
Veteran

Rep Power: 2722 bayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
You'd maybe need to PM Trap Star?
Little bit of everything in this thread
Old 06-18-2014   #30
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

He did hit some deep balls, defences got smart and realised that if you take the time away for him to hit it, he couldn't do much else. Best Case scenario he improves enough to force OB to keep 3 QBs.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014   #31
jdjd
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance87 View Post
I think that is between Keenum and his wife.
jdjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014   #32
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51147 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
This was a foregone conclusion the minute he signed. Is anyone even mildly surprised?

And BTW - accuracy and poor decision making are two different concepts. A QB might be incredibly accurate but it he makes poor decisions his TD/INT ratio may not be very good.

And he is easily the best QB on the roster at the moment. Doesn't make him a world beater, just the best of a bad lot and he gives this team the best chance to win this year and frankly it's not close.

I seriously doubt we see Savage start any games this year. I think some of you guys are in for some disappointment. At best, maybe some mop up duty to get his feet wet, but more than likely he never gets a single snap all year imho.
If Savage is on the roster, he will get snaps. Very few team in the NFL can keep the starter in on every play. It's probably 100%, but I haven't got a clue where to verify that or find out the last time only the starter played every play all season.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014   #33
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Fitzbeard is the starter for game one, which we all knew would happen, it's why they signed him. He's a stop gap filler QB until BoB get's the QB he wants ready to go. If we're lucky, Fitz will have enough left in him to win some games, which he can do. But he's not The Man. And we still don't know who that is yet.

Maybe Keenum or Doc Savage steps up. In the meantime, we'll have a good enough defense to beat up the bad to mediocre teams. Did we really expect anything else?

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014   #34
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90635 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

With fitz and whomever else our defense better be lights out. Foster needs to have a career year otherwise were looking at another really bad season. Not that long ago I felt ok about our off-season but really it looks like:

We replaced 1 bad QB with another bad QB.

We did not shore up the right tackle position.

We lost our best Wr (of course this remains to be seen.)
Old 06-18-2014   #35
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
With fitz and whomever else our defense better be lights out. Foster needs to have a career year otherwise were looking at another really bad season. Not that long ago I felt ok about our off-season but really it looks like:

Let's assume that the Texans had gone out and get the best available FA out there (name your preference) or drafted a QB in the first round (name your preference) and throw him into the fire instead of drafting Clowney, what kind of record do you expect the Texans to achieve this year.
This is pure conjecture, but nobody stops us from doing it for fun.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014   #36
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 118533 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Let's assume that the Texans had gone out and get the best available FA out there (name your preference) or drafted a QB in the first round (name your preference) and throw him into the fire instead of drafting Clowney, what kind of record do you expect the Texans to achieve this year.
Or, let's assume that the Texans pick Clowney #1 and tehn trade back into the bottom of the 1st and pick up Bridgewater. They allow him to learn from the bench before throwing him to the wolves around game 8-10.

What record do you expect now? More to the point, how much more ready are they for next season in that scenario?

Sure, it's all conjecture...so is the Texans current "plan".
Old 06-18-2014   #37
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 82375 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Or, let's assume that the Texans pick Clowney #1 and tehn trade back into the bottom of the 1st and pick up Bridgewater. They allow him to learn from the bench before throwing him to the wolves around game 8-10.

What record do you expect now? More to the point, how much more ready are they for next season in that scenario?

Sure, it's all conjecture...so is the Texans current "plan".
Savage is BOB's Bridgewater.

It remains to be seen if BOB's plan with Savage works out. Or for that matter if TB will live up to his hype.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014   #38
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90635 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I don't fault the Texans for signing fitz. Schaub had to go no question , and fitz was the best FA qb available. We had some options in the draft but nobody there was going to help us early on imo. We picked a bad year to need a starting qb.

As I said rt wasn't addressed and the loss of Q gives even fewer options. Nobody here liked what they saw last year from Newton. Here we are next season trotting out the same guy without any back up plan if he crashes and burns.

Andre Johnson may come back and have a solid season , but this fiasco isn't helping the team. How often do wr's hold out and then have a great year? If we lose him I have to label our offseason a step back (at least offensively. )

Couple these factors with Arian apparently on the downside of his career and we may be in for another disappointment.

------- And I hate to say it but everybody's talking up Obrien.We heard all the same stories about capers and Kubiak. "Fresh new innovative approach. Guys are really buying in and excited about the new schemes. Practices are intense." It's all Window dressing because people are going to say that with any new regime. It may all be true but I want to see it on the field before I buy in. As you said it's all conjecture.

I'll be happy with 7-9.
Old 06-18-2014   #39
sandman
All Pro

Rep Power: 50409 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

------- And I hate to say it but everybody's talking up Obrien.We heard all the same stories about capers and Kubiak. "Fresh new innovative approach. Guys are really buying in and excited about the new schemes. Practices are intense." It's all Window dressing because people are going to say that with any new regime. It may all be true but I want to see it on the field before I buy in. As you said it's all conjecture.

I'll be happy with 7-9.
In all honesty, did anyone consider Kubiak installing the Denver offense here in Houston as a fresh new innovative approach? It was a proven system in which he spent his entire coaching career. We knew exactly what we were getting. I personally am still not sure WHAT an OB team will end up looking like, because he has had multiple influences on his coaching style. I am sure that we will see many things from NE, but I just don't think he is trying to be Patriots South. IMHO, of course.
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014   #40
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Two questions:

1. What would you have done, specifically, to solve those problems ?

2. Which resources (FA money, draft picks) did the Texans waste? In other words, what areas of the roster did they address that didn't need addressing?

Last edited by dalemurphy; 06-18-2014 at 11:34 AM.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read