Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Which QB will be waived?
Fitzgerald 2 1.90%
Savage 0 0%
Keenum 41 39.05%
Yates 62 59.05%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-12-2014   #41
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Which QB will be waived?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I like both Yates and Keenum and Savage is this years QB pick so i went with Fitz as the odd man out. But I really don't see them going with just 3 QBs before the first round of cuts. There are too many receivers who need someone to throw them the ball.
The thing the coaches have been clearest on is they think 4 is too many.
Old 06-12-2014   #42
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by corytx8 View Post
I completely disagree with the fans playing a role in decision making because if that's was the case then Manziel would have been drafted.
Right...but then we see Manziel drafted by a team whose owner reportedly was "convinced" by a bum on the street to draft Manziel....Then we hear that Manziel wasn't even the qb they were planning on drafting until the very last minute...Owner's are fans too. Just b/c their influence on the coach matters more than ours doesn't mean that it's no less fan influence that can affect coaching decisions.

You don't think Schaub getting booed at home for his poor performances didn't influence the owner/coach into blowing right by Yates and starting Keenum? What coach skips over his 2nd string qb to go to his 3rd string qb?

Everyone remember the offseason of 2011? Fans were in an uproar because of how bad Frank Bush's defense was. I remember seeing fans on the news threatening not to support the team anymore if a credible defensive mind (not another one of Kubiak's cronies) wasn't brought in to fix the team's defense. Some time later Wade Phillips was spotted entering Reliant.

People like to act like McNair isn't a fan of this team and he doesn't hear the fans; trust, he does. What's more is the people around him who are fans of the team & have considerable influence on him hear us too. It's not a stretch at all to believe that fan influence might have at least a little something to do with Keenum staying on board here. Obviously he'll have to show a little something to warrant sticking around but the fanfare could very well be the deciding factor between he and Yates who both are pretty much the same guy in terms of upside imo.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #43
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 268617 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Chron.com's McClain and Brian T. Smith think Yates will be waived:

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...ack-situation/
The link (trying IE 11 and Firefox) takes me to the title.......but only has a 200 count slide show.......no discussion???????
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #44
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 34200 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
The link (trying IE 11 and Firefox) takes me to the title.......but only has a 200 count slide show.......no discussion???????
I use Firefox. There's a commercial above the slideshow. I don't believe there are any controls and it takes a bit of time with nothing happening, then the commercial self loads. When the commercial completes, the discussion will self load. That's how it worked for me.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #45
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
It's a video.

Nothing earth-shattering in there, no "new" news. Smith likes Case as a change of pace to Fitz/Savage. McClain going with home town guy, but throwing it in there that we might snatch another QB off the waiver-wire since we're first in line.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #46
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Just more speculation; as if we don't have enough of that already, LOL.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #47
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13222 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Also interesting, WHEN the odd man out will be let go...?
Old 06-12-2014   #48
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Wade Smith makes excuses for Keenum:

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/06/...r-matt-schaub/

The Play button is on the bottom left.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #49
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's two things I feel confident saying : Fitz will, barring some miracle turnaround by Keenum and Yates will be the starter. Savage will be one of three they keep.

I think the most important question is where does Savage stand in the mix after TC. Does he look closer to backup or still too raw? If he's closer to backup, prolly bodes better for Keenum cause he's got more upside to stay on that third spot. If too raw, I'd prolly give the edge to Yates on possibly being more steady in pocket.

Either way I think if the team gets mediocre qb play it could surprise.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #50
legacy_gt
All Pro

Rep Power: 15768 legacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respected

I think who will be cut will be the person who has shown the least potential in the new system.

I've seen enough of Yates. He's been in this league long enough while Keenum has basically played as a thrown in rookie last year that I know will improve. So IMHO Yates will be cut.

Weather it's Keenum or Yates, the person picked to stay is because he's shown more upside and has played better, and has an IQ that the coach is looking for.
legacy_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #51
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacy_gt View Post
I think who will be cut will be the person who has shown the least potential in the new system.

I've seen enough of Yates. He's been in this league long enough while Keenum has basically played as a thrown in rookie last year that I know will improve. So IMHO Yates will be cut.

Weather it's Keenum or Yates, the person picked to stay is because he's shown more upside and has played better, and has an IQ that the coach is looking for.
This is funny b/c Yates actually was a true rookie who was thrown into the fire when he played his 6 games in 2011. Meanwhile, Keenum had a whole year to sit on the practice squad to get ready to even be able to compete....and didn't look much better.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #52
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

My vote was Keenum (unfortunately). I don't think he's BOB's type of QB. That said, I don't think Yates is either and both guys have playing time. Yates has won a couple of big games and therefore a little more battle tested.

The argument to my above opinion might be that Yates may (or may not be) a little more expensive.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.
Old 06-12-2014   #53
AngryNateFTW
Veteran

Rep Power: 18057 AngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Yates fits what BOB is looking for more than Keenum but who offers me more on Sunday? Keenum.
AngryNateFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #54
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 8706 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
I think Yates fits the mold that OB looks for in a QB and according to rumors, they had an offer for a late round pick in the last draft for Yates and declined. <snip>
Until we have a direct quote from a team insider, I have to believe it's just that, a rumor. They couldn't be crazy enough to refuse a pick in exchange for Yates.
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #55
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

prob keenum Yates is more of a OB type of QB chase is not

Should be both IMO

we should start the season with only 2 QBS Fitz and savage
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #56
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 8443 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think Savage will be the #2 on this team until midseason. He's a little too raw at this point. That leaves either Keenum or Yates as the #2 and the other on the street. I would be very surprised if Yates makes the team over Keenum. I just don't think Yates has enough talent.

I also don't think Keenum will be the long term answer at backup. My guess is that he'll stay on the roster to appease the homers and then get cut after the season. Here's to hoping that Savage becomes a stud while learning the system and can take over the starting role late in the season / next year (or show us enough to know we need to draft a QB)
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #57
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 195710 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
That, I think, is one of the reasons he's going to get cut. If he's not appreciably better than Yates, than OB will want no part of the circus that a local undrafted QB superstar can potentially create.
Lots of people go to circus enjoy and spend lots of money. What NFL owner does not want that? QB (or any position) controversy does not have to be a negative especially with strong coaches. Also why does a player have to be "appreciably" better to be selected? Yates and Keenum costs and age are about equal so could not a "slightly" or even a"minuscule" better player be selected, especially if O'Brien is as smart as it is said? Not trying to play word games but I don't think any of the QBs have to be much better than others to be on roster, with maybe the exception of Savage but even then if the other three are better, store him and if he is taken, so be it.
Old 06-12-2014   #58
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
prob keenum Yates is more of a OB type of QB chase is not

Should be both IMO

we should start the season with only 2 QBS Fitz and savage

What the what??? This is crazy, even for you Norg!! WTH are you trying to say??
Old 06-13-2014   #59
thunderkyss 
&amp; so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
I honestly think that Keenum's hometown fanfare is gonna keep him on the roster and conversely get Yates cut.
So, either OB does not have control of the 53 man roster, or he's not the man for the job? Is that about right?
Old 06-13-2014   #60
thunderkyss 
&amp; so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Keenum. Let him find a new home maybe Baltimore or Cleveland let him test the market for better situation now so that he can catch on with another team.
We've got to have one of the worst QB situations in the league. I don't understand why anyone would pick up any of these guys when we cut him. They'll be picking a guy who couldn't beat out a back-up's back-up.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read