Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Which QB will be waived?
Fitzgerald 2 1.90%
Savage 0 0%
Keenum 41 39.05%
Yates 62 59.05%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-12-2014   #1
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21867 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Which QB will be waived?

It's being reported that OB wants to go into training camp with only 3 QB's. So, who do you feel will be the odd man out?

EDIT: It should be Fitzpatrick, instead of Fitzgerald. I had a brain fart.

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!

Last edited by Hottoddie; 06-12-2014 at 02:51 AM. Reason: How do you edit the poll?
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #2
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21867 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Which QB will be waived?

I wanted to vote for Yates, but I can't shake the feeling it's going to be Keenum.

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #3
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88550 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Yates will be cut. One thing that's been noted about keenum is his exuberance for the game. OB likes football guys. I think keenum fits the offense a little better...jmo. I also think he has the higher upside.

I never got the feeling from Yates that he was dying to be a starter. I just didn't get the vibe that he wanted to be the guy...the leader.

But I have no idea what's going on behind the scenes there. Going to be interesting to discuss when it happens.
xtruroyaltyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #4
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I picked the wrong guy, LOL.
I meant to pick Yates.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #5
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 87002 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Yates fits the mold that OB looks for in a QB and according to rumors, they had an offer for a late round pick in the last draft for Yates and declined.

So I think Keenum is going to be cut but I hope not because I really don't like Yates.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #6
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
I think Yates fits the mold that OB looks for in a QB and according to rumors, they had an offer for a late round pick in the last draft for Yates and declined.

So I think Keenum is going to be cut but I hope not because I really don't like Yates.
^^This ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #7
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94101 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

I honestly think that Keenum's hometown fanfare is gonna keep him on the roster and conversely get Yates cut.

Sad really b/c honestly he and Keenum are more alike than they are different in terms of their upside. Yet some fans have no problem making a definitive judgement on Yates but have come up with every excuse in the world for Keenum.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-12-2014   #8
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 118533 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think of Yates these days as a "camp arm", he was chosen specifically to run Kubiak's system. The only way I see BoB hanging on to him is he sees more upside than Keenum.
Old 06-12-2014   #9
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

I remember reading that Yates had injury concerns that affected his chances of winning the backup job last season. I can't search for a source for that since I'm at work.

What works in Keenum's favor is that he has more of a tendency to keep his eyes downfield, and he's accurate.
Brisco_County is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #10
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Rep Power: 72899 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish

Who the hell is Fitzgerald?

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #11
No Worries
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 No Worries is a quality contributor and well respectedNo Worries is a quality contributor and well respectedNo Worries is a quality contributor and well respectedNo Worries is a quality contributor and well respectedNo Worries is a quality contributor and well respectedNo Worries is a quality contributor and well respectedNo Worries is a quality contributor and well respectedNo Worries is a quality contributor and well respectedNo Worries is a quality contributor and well respectedNo Worries is a quality contributor and well respectedNo Worries is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope that it is Fitzpatrick. That would mean that he got outplayed by both Yates and Keenum. Fitzpatrick is a placehoilder. The faster he is gone, the better it will be for the Texans.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #12
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Rep Power: 72899 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
I remember reading that Yates had injury concerns that affected his chances of winning the backup job last season. I can't search for a source for that since I'm at work.

What works in Keenum's favor is that he has more of a tendency to keep his eyes downfield, and he's accurate.
When did 54.2% become accurate?

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #13
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally, I'd like to cut both Keenum and Yates. Given the fact there will be a lot of players cut over the next couple months, I think it's a distinct possibility.

I had to choose one, so I chose Keenum. A lot has been made of the prototypical O'Brien QB and Keenum doesn't fit. Plus, he was really bad toward the end of the season. He refused to take check downs and hot routes when they were running wide open underneath. He either couldn't or chose not to read blitzes that my mom could see. Always tried to win the game in one play.
Old 06-12-2014   #14
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Personally, I'd like to cut both Keenum and Yates. Given the fact there will be a lot of players cut over the next couple months, I think it's a distinct possibility.

I had to choose one, so I chose Keenum. A lot has been made of the prototypical O'Brien QB and Keenum doesn't fit. Plus, he was really bad toward the end of the season. He refused to take check downs and hot routes when they were running wide open underneath. He either couldn't or chose not to read blitzes that my mom could see. Always tried to win the game in one play.
Prepare to be flamed by the Keenum Fan Club.

I don't at all disagree with your assessment.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #15
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Keenum. Let him find a new home maybe Baltimore or Cleveland let him test the market for better situation now so that he can catch on with another team.

I don't need Yates to be a starter just reliable, cheap insurance in back-up roll. Great young man, keeps quiet, minds his buisness & never I mean never complains.

Fitzpatrick has a couple years here to bring experience & leadership to the table for younger guys. Not costing much either!

Savage should groom into starters role but will have to earn it.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #16
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282041 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Fitzgerald, Keenpatrick, or Yavage.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #17
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Prepare to be flamed by the Keenum Fan Club.

I don't at all disagree with your assessment.
Yeah, and that's fine. I still have all the games recorded (no clue why) and crank one up when ever there's nothing worth watching on TV. It truly is painful to watch. Especially later in the season where teams knew he struggled under pressure.

By no means am I saying Yates is that much better. I just think Yates would at least take what the defense gives him
Old 06-12-2014   #18
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Only one of them has won a playoff game, iirc.

Bye bye Case.
Old 06-12-2014   #19
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Yeah, and that's fine. I still have all the games recorded (no clue why) and crank one up when ever there's nothing worth watching on TV. It truly is painful to watch. Especially later in the season where teams knew he struggled under pressure.

By no means am I saying Yates is that much better. I just think Yates would at least take what the defense gives him
It was apparent in the very first game he started (KC). On multiple occasions they bring only 4 defenders but would do so by overloading one side or the other and he failed to recognize it and make the adjustment in protection & route combination (hot route). Those were things he did have the ability to change within the scope of Kubiak's audible system.

That pretty much became par for the course as the season wore on.

I'd give him a pass for that first game or two had he shown improvement in that aspect as the season went on but it appeared to me he got worse , not better.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #20
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69514 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I fully expect Yates to surprise some people here this preseason.

Yates has always dealt with getting more **** than he deserved (at UNC it was similar), and he always improved and got better. I don't see this being any different.

Yes, I'm full UNC homer here.

Reminded me of why you don't prod the bear.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read