Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-11-2014   #1
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Kubaik Yrs

Started off with a 2-14 team, ended up with a 2-14 team. A few good times and got fired with a little more talent than he started with. Tell me how the 8 yrs of Kubiak wasn't a failure and what makes you think the BOB yrs under McNair will be better?

I've moved on from the Kubiak yrs despite backstabbing Smith being allowed to leetch off of McNair. (Cal in particular.)
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014   #2
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 40481 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand
Default Re: Kubaik Yrs

Disagree we had a lot more talent on this team than he started with.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014   #3
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

I've moved on from the Kubiak yrs . . . .
It doesn't look like that to me.

Instead of "moving on", you want to keep dwelling on the past in order to keep taking shots at "BOB". You're not fooling anyone.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014   #4
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 173001 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Not going to get over Smith still being here or even acknowledge this draft huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Started off with a 2-14 team, ended up with a 2-14 team. A few good times and got fired with a little more talent than he started with. Tell me how the 8 yrs of Kubiak wasn't a failure and what makes you think the BOB yrs under McNair will be better?

I've moved on from the Kubiak yrs despite backstabbing Smith being allowed to leetch off of McNair. (Cal in particular.)
The team Kubiak took over was a failed expansion team.

The only thing worse than coaching an expansion team, imo, is coaching a failed expansion team. If you've ever been a coach, you should know how hard it is to sell your team on the idea that they can win. After four years of losing, he had his work cut out for him & I doubt he had more than 8 people in the whole organization who believed the Texans could win. & that's counting Kubiak as one of the 8.

In just two years, he stopped the losing (if only for a little while) & by year four, he had a winning team that had a shot at a play off berth until the late games on the final day of the regular season.

Maybe not enough for the "Super Bowl or bust" guys, or the people who think every team should have a Super Bowl appearance in any 12 year period, but that's a lot.

Further more, in only six years, that failed expansion team won the division. In his seventh year, he had them thinking they could win the Super Bowl. In his eight year, he had "everybody" (not just the people in the organization) thinking the failed expansion team he took over could win the Super Bowl.

He shat the bed in his 8th season, but this team is primed to become the next 49ers, Seahawks, or Ravens.
Old 06-12-2014   #6
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Seahawks been around since 76 and they won their 1st superbowl. jaguars and panthers came in the same yr,94 I believe and neither have won a bowl either. The great steelers organization went 30 some yrs before they were worth a damn.
Old 06-12-2014   #7
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 147070 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubīak a tenure was average overall. I do think Rick smith had a lot to do with that and he should have been fired along with Gary. I hope that obrien can shape this team into a winner but I worry that no other belichek disciple has had much success in the nfl. I like Kubiak and as a Houstonian I wish he'd succeeded here but that didn't happen and I've moved on.
Old 06-12-2014   #8
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

they wont be lets get rdy for 4 more years a nothingness cept local memories LOL
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #9
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
Disagree we had a lot more talent on this team than he started with.
Agreed

Get well soon Ques
Old 06-12-2014   #10
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
It doesn't look like that to me.

Instead of "moving on", you want to keep dwelling on the past in order to keep taking shots at "BOB". You're not fooling anyone.
Not smart enough to fool anybody.

As you once told me just because things didn't work out the way you wanted, doesn't mean you have to be so bitter.

I actually think McNair has finally made a GREAT hire if Smith doesn't undermine O'Brien.

Just because you were wrong about the Smithiak era doesn't mean that you have to be so bitter. It's not healthy to be that way.

Get well soon Ques
Old 06-12-2014   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

I actually think McNair has finally made a GREAT hire if Smith doesn't undermine O'Brien.
I think I know what you're talking about, but to be sure, can you give us an example of when Smith undermined Kubiak?
Old 06-12-2014   #12
Troy Chapman
Veteran

Rep Power: 33633 Troy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think I know what you're talking about, but to be sure, can you give us an example of when Smith undermined Kubiak?
Same question I have.
Troy Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #13
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm beginning to think that Bob is the problem here. May be the nicest owner in the NFL but his business plan, organization and many decisions are flawed.
Old 06-12-2014   #14
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 159792 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
I'm beginning to think that Bob is the problem here. May be the nicest owner in the NFL but his business plan, organization and many decisions are flawed.
Only if you're looking at it from a Win/Loss perspective and not a revenue one.
Old 06-12-2014   #15
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Only if you're looking at it from a Win/Loss perspective and not a revenue one.
The implied dichotomy leaves out a significant factor in football - luck.
Old 06-12-2014   #16
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

31 teams fail every season. The degrees of failure is subjective, but there is only one team every season that can truly consider itself successful.

I'm not a Kubiak apologists, but c'mon, it's not like we are long suffering Saints fans that had to endure 20 years before seeing a winning record.

And while back-to-back division "championships" is nothing to hang your hat on, I'll still take it over the alternative of never going to the playoffs.

I'm curious about the point of this thread? Do we really need yet another place to gripe and moan about the past? To paraphrase Pantera:

Yesterday don't mean ****
What's over is over and nothing between
Because tomorrow's the day you have to face

There's no rewinding time
Reliving old reviews is a useless tool of confusion
Don't hold your breath for the turn-around
Come into the world of endless odds...
Old 06-12-2014   #17
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

I'm curious about the point of this thread? Do we really need yet another place to gripe and moan about the past?
The OP knows good and well what the point of this thread is. He's just too much of a chicken sh!t to actually say it.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #18
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 137288 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak's years had some success...quite a bit of failure.

But failure is a part of life. Success wouldn't feel as good if there was no failure. Hopefully, the organization has learned from it's past mistakes.

What will make BOB different? Well, we know his style will be different. We know his approach will be different. But impossible to say that it will lead to better results at the end of his tenure.
xtruroyaltyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #19
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

http://youtu.be/3JWTaaS7LdU?t=44s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1Yt0xJKDY8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlJtQLg4bpU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1-4u9W-bns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ExWsVFJlFo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kiHBFwGsUE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-nyeiKk35M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb9QE_QZb_g
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #20
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
31 teams fail every season. The degrees of failure is subjective, but there is only one team every season that can truly consider itself successful.

I'm not a Kubiak apologists, but c'mon, it's not like we are long suffering Saints fans that had to endure 20 years before seeing a winning record.

And while back-to-back division "championships" is nothing to hang your hat on, I'll still take it over the alternative of never going to the playoffs.

I'm curious about the point of this thread? Do we really need yet another place to gripe and moan about the past? To paraphrase Pantera:

What's over is over and nothing between
Because tomorrow's the day you have to face

There's no rewinding time
Reliving old reviews is a useless tool of confusion
Don't hold your breath for the turn-around
Come into the world of endless odds...
I agree, especially with the bolded. 12 years of football, IIR the number correctly, is not enough to gripe about not having a Superbowl win. Kubiak did a good job of taking us from bad to good and, looking at our short time in the NFL and what he took over, I can't crucify the guy for not winning it all. The way he lost the team last year, and probably not trying to find Schaub's eventual replacement at some point in one of those offseasons, got him rightfully fired, but I don't really blame him for anything major except last year's collapse and our having to move on from him.

Even that is subjective. The one sure thing about being a head coach in the NFL is that your job is always in jeopardy.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read