Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-30-2014   #161
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans 2014 OTAs begin May 27

It's interesting to note that the RBs during practice are being given footballs with an extremely slick blue silk cover in order to have them emphasize ball security.........and the penalty for every fumble?.........."Young man, hand over the ball and enjoy yourself a lap!" Early accountability. I love it.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014   #162
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69514 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
It's interesting to note that the RBs during practice are being given footballs with an extremely slick blue silk cover in order to have them emphasize ball security.........and the penalty for every fumble?.........."Young man, hand over the ball and enjoy yourself a lap!" Early accountability. I love it.
Greg Gabriel thinks that fumbling is almost entirely mental. Says it's a concentration thing. If he's right, and I think he might be, then this is a great way to have players focus on it.

Reminded me of why you don't prod the bear.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014   #163
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Player volunteered information from the OB regimen is sparse by design, but the QBs' short statments say volumes.

Quote:
QB's learning, appreciating new Texans offense
Posted May 28, 2014
Drew Dougherty

Even if their heads might be spinning, the Texans quarterbacks say they're enthused about the new offense.

"It's a very productive time for us, just because of all the new things that are going on out there," Ryan Fitzpatrick said.

Case Keenum, who started eight games in 2013, said he likes the offense as well.

"I think it's going to be good," Keenum said. "It's going to be suited to fit whatever guys we have that can play."

T.J. Yates, who guided the Texans to a playoff victory in January of 2012, is excited about the freedom given to the quarterback in the new system.

"If you like a certain thing here, you want to signal a route to a guy, or you kind of just want to take control, there's lots of options that you can have in this offense," Yates said. "Lots of places to go. It's a matchup offense. You like a match up with a guy here, you can go there. We got a lot of players on this team that we can take advantage of it then."

Yates played collegiately at North Carolina, where the Tar Heels operated an offense very similar to what was run under former Texans head coach Gary Kubiak. Yates described the new offense as a "polar opposite" to the one he's played for the last seven years.

Fitzpatrick, Keenum and Yates have about a month's head-start on rookie Tom Savage, who cited brainpower as a necessity in O'Brien's system.

"You gotta be smart," Savage said. "You gotta know everything. Whether it's the looks the defense is giving you. Where people on your side are supposed to line up, everything."

For the most part, O'Brien has been pleased with what he's seen from the four quarterbacks.

"They’re all doing a good job," O'Brien said Tuesday. "It’s not easy to learn a new offense, especially when you’ve been around awhile. I’ve seen a lot of improvement every day with that whole group.”

While digesting the new formations, plays, verbiage and terminology might be complicated, Keenum said the ultimate job of the quarterback running O'Brien's system is very simple.

"The job as a quarterback is to get the ball out of our hands in whatever way that is," Keenum said. "Run, pass, get it to the guys who can make plays."
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014   #164
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97064 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

That is refreshing to hear. Especially after trying to dispute all the bull crap from people during Kubiak /Schaub era that our audibles and freedom the QB had was on par with most other teams..."They just weren't as demonstrative"...Yeah ok...

Honestly, this offense seems like it is tailor made for Case Keenum.
xtruroyaltyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014   #165
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
That is refreshing to hear. Especially after trying to dispute all the bull crap from people during Kubiak /Schaub era that our audibles and freedom the QB had was on par with most other teams..."They just weren't as demonstrative"...Yeah ok...

Only because that's what you want to believe.
Old 05-30-2014   #166
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40976 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Its the hurry up, always from the gun, spread option?
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014   #167
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 264718 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

If that's what you thought people were saying, then you were misunderstanding the whole concept.

In Kubiak's offense, you don't have complete freedom as a QB. What you have are options that are supposed to counter whatever the defense was doing. Most of the thinking was on the QB and the receivers didn't have to make a lot of reads (although they did adjust their routes according to some reads). If the defense was going to do X, then the QB had to read that and go to this receiver but if the defense was going to do Y, then the QB had to read that and go to this other receiver. At the line of scrimmage, the QB could make a read and shift to one or two other options.

It was NOT complete freedom and I don't believe anyone ever argued that it was.

In this offense, the QB can make the read and if he sees a matchup he likes, he can make a specific call for a specific receiver. Or he can change a whole group of receivers' routes by calling a package on one side or the other.

This way allows the QB much more freedom. But it's still different from some other approaches where the coaches send in a package and the QB has a palette of options based off of it or even access to the whole playbook.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-30-2014   #168
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 324753 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Assuming that O'Brien is installing a version of the Patriots offense, this article is good insight:

Quote:
Speak My Language

New England’s offense is a member of the NFL’s third offensive family, the Erhardt-Perkins system. The offense was named after the two men, Ron Erhardt and Ray Perkins, who developed it while working for the Patriots under head coach Chuck Fairbanks in the 1970s. According to Perkins, it was assembled in the same way most such systems are developed. “I don’t look at it as us inventing it,” he explained. “I look at it as a bunch of coaches sitting in rooms late at night organizing and getting things together to help players be successful.”

The backbone of the Erhardt-Perkins system is that plays — pass plays in particular — are not organized by a route tree or by calling a single receiver’s route, but by what coaches refer to as “concepts.” Each play has a name, and that name conjures up an image for both the quarterback and the other players on offense. And, most importantly, the concept can be called from almost any formation or set. Who does what changes, but the theory and tactics driving the play do not. “In essence, you’re running the same play,” said Perkins. “You’re just giving them some window-dressing to make it look different.”

The biggest advantage of the concept-based system is that it operates from the perspective of the most critical player on offense: the quarterback. In other systems, even if the underlying principles are the exact same, the play and its name might be very different. Rather than juggling all this information in real time, an Erhardt-Perkins quarterback only has to read a given arrangement of receivers. “You can cut down on the plays and get different looks from your formations and who’s in them. It’s easier for the players to learn. It’s easier for the quarterback to learn,” former Patriots offensive coordinator Charlie Weis said back in 2000. “You get different looks without changing his reads. You don’t need an open-ended number of plays.”

Full article
Old 05-30-2014   #169
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97064 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Only because that's what you want to believe.

I have a post somewhere around here saying I think it would be best for the team if Savage wins the job.

I didn't go to U of H, didn't wand Manziel or VY....
So I don't have some hometown hero complex.
How about instead of making asinine statements, just ask why I believe that.

---------------

You know what...Nevermind the discussion. I come here to mostly discuss football. If you're the type of person that sees a simple statement and starts throwing out wild out your ass accusations we should just put each other on ignore. I'd rather just skip over the non-sense.
Old 05-30-2014   #170
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
Its the hurry up, always from the gun, spread option?
I believe it's going to be fast paced.

I think Keenum excels in that kind of offense where he doesn't have to hold onto the ball.

I think it's tailor made for him because I think he excels moving at a faster pace, getting the ball out quick and making pre snap reads. I think Case is smart and will perform better with more freedom to take advantage of things he sees.

I don't know much about Fitz...I haven't seen Yates do it much and Savage is pretty unknown to me....

I've seen a lot of Case playing football though and I believe this offensive style suits him well.

Doesn't mean I think he'll succeed. Just because you are in a scheme that fits you doesn't mean you're good enough.
Old 05-30-2014   #171
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
If that's what you thought people were saying, then you were misunderstanding the whole concept.

Ummm...No....

I spoke with people that said exactly what you quoted in my post. I'm not misunderstanding much regarding the concepts of Kubiak's offense. Impossible for any of us to know everything, but I'm confident I had a pretty good handle on the overlay.
Old 05-30-2014   #172
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

In Kubiak's offense, you don't have complete freedom as a QB. What you have are options that are supposed to counter whatever the defense was doing. Most of the thinking was on the QB and the receivers didn't have to make a lot of reads (although they did adjust their routes according to some reads). If the defense was going to do X, then the QB had to read that and go to this receiver but if the defense was going to do Y, then the QB had to read that and go to this other receiver. At the line of scrimmage, the QB could make a read and shift to one or two other options.

It was NOT complete freedom and I don't believe anyone ever argued that it was.

In this offense, the QB can make the read and if he sees a matchup he likes, he can make a specific call for a specific receiver. Or he can change a whole group of receivers' routes by calling a package on one side or the other.

This way allows the QB much more freedom. But it's still different from some other approaches where the coaches send in a package and the QB has a palette of options based off of it or even access to the whole playbook.
Bingo. Nobody (I am sure somewhere there was a whack job outlier, but effectively) was claiming the Texans QBs had "as much" freedom.

Quote:
Ummm...No....

I spoke with people that said exactly what you quoted in my post.
I've talked with people who say they've had conversations with their grilled cheese sandwiches. Doesn't mean they are typical of any normal conversation.
Old 05-30-2014   #173
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
The way I explained my approach to this draft concerning QBs was dependent on who was there when my pick came up & who I expected to be there by the time my next pick came up.

When the compensatory pick we used to take Savage came up the QBs I liked best were still on the board; McCarron, Mettenberger, & Murray. Those were the guys I thought had the best chance of being productive starters in the NFL. I also included Manziel, Bridgewater, & Carr on the list.

Now that the Texans picked Savage, I have to think their QB list looked something like:
  1. Bortles
  2. Savage
  3. McCarron
  4. Carr
  5. Mettenberger
  6. Garoppolo

Murray & Manziel are totally different QBs than that list & honestly, Garoppolo probably belongs in that Murray/Manziel group.

So at the top of the 5th round... our compensatory 4th, you had the #2, #3, & #4 guys still on the board. By the time our 6th round pick came up (because we traded our 5th to move up to get Nix) I would have expected none of them to still be there. & none of them were.

I understand what you're saying though. If I were running the draft, I would have taken McCarron at 33, thinking the other teams were seeing what I was seeing. But at 33, you also had #4 & #5 from the list of potential starters I prioritized.

The only OG at that time comparable to Su'a-Filo was Zack Martin. Neither were going to be there in the third & there are no comparable OGs that were available in the third.

This draft was different, weird imo. The prototypical guys were all there at the bottom, on the third day. I never would have expected that. It looks like athleticism has moved up a few notches on today's list of desirable traits, and experience has fallen quite a bit. At the very least I would have thought Carr would have gone before Bortles on the fact that he's been pretty consistent for a lot longer, even Bridgewater's experience, I thought, should have put him ahead of Bortles.
OK thunderkyss, are you telling me that the Texans had a higher grade on Savage than both Garrapolo and Carr ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014   #174
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have a post somewhere around here saying I think it would be best for the team if Savage wins the job.

I didn't go to U of H, didn't wand Manziel or VY....
So I don't have some hometown hero complex.
How about instead of making asinine statements, just ask why I believe that.

---------------

You know what...Nevermind the discussion. I come here to mostly discuss football. If you're the type of person that sees a simple statement and starts throwing out wild out your ass accusations we should just put each other on ignore. I'd rather just skip over the non-sense.
The point is that there is no objective football reason to conclude anything about this offense and/or keenum's (nor the other 3 clowns QB) fit in this offense. Weak speculation is what you are actually engaged in not football talk.

I never accused of you of anything but making a baseless comment, but then you wanted speculate with no basis...again.
Old 05-30-2014   #175
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
OK thunderkyss, are you telling me that the Texans had a higher grade on Savage than both Garrapolo and Carr ?
Who knows. Other teams have certainly made such claims before. Belichick made that claim about Mallett immediately after drafting him.
Old 05-30-2014   #176
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I've talked with people who say they've had conversations with their grilled cheese sandwiches. Doesn't mean they are typical of any normal conversation.

Ok.
Old 05-30-2014   #177
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 154760 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

What stands out to me is the system gets the ball out of QB's hands into play makers'. Reminds me of the football we played before and after school in Junior high. Bunch of kids lining up either side of ball and just letting go. Blocking was minimal so QB had to pass quickly. No running game allowed though; made it interesting.

My concern is that the "play maker" has to get free and then catch the ball. We should be good with AJ, Hopkins and the TEs.
Old 05-30-2014   #178
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
The point is that there is no objective football reason to conclude anything about this offense and/or keenum's (nor the other 3 clowns QB) fit in this offense. Weak speculation is what you are actually engaged in not football talk.

I never accused of you of anything but making a baseless comment, but then you wanted speculate with no basis...again.

Sorry I formulated an opinion based on the info that I've read/heard so far. I won't do it anymore. Nor will I make comments about discussions I've had with people I've talked to in the past for Caks sake.

Really...some of y'all need to pull the stick out your ass. Y'all are in such a rush to be an idiot that you write asinine, nonsensical posts such as the ones above.
Old 05-30-2014   #179
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22903 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
...In this offense, the QB can make the read and if he sees a matchup he likes, he can make a specific call for a specific receiver. Or he can change a whole group of receivers' routes by calling a package on one side or the other.

This way allows the QB much more freedom...
Nice quote in the Chronicle this morning by T.J. : "It's an awesome offense. The quarterback is in complete control of everything. We're setting the protection. We're setting the fronts, getting guys in the right places. It lets you be the leader out there - that's for sure. You have lots of freedom, lots of options."
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014   #180
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22903 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
What stands out to me is the system gets the ball out of QB's hands into play makers'. Reminds me of the football we played before and after school in Junior high. Bunch of kids lining up either side of ball and just letting go. Blocking was minimal so QB had to pass quickly. No running game allowed though; made it interesting.

My concern is that the "play maker" has to get free and then catch the ball. We should be good with AJ, Hopkins and the TEs.
It seems the one receiver that has drawn specific praise from OB has been DeVier Posey, who was singled out as having made a good impression this first week.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read