Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-29-2014   #141
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 15034 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans 2014 OTAs begin May 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I can answer a lot of questions, but it is hard for me to just write up everything as a narrative.

So far I've answered three questions on OTAs so far at this chat. The chat is only as good as the questions I get:

http://www.replyall.me/stephanie-str...t-texans-otas/

You can subscribe to it to see answers as they pop up I believe as well.
Thank you for that.
PHILLYTEXANFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #142
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Thanks for the heads up, man. I'll check out any kind of music at least once.

I get why folks like it, though. It's catchy, like a good pop song should be. There is certainly talent involved with writing catchy hooks.
Indeed there is but it's the same talent that's involved in writing "I'm Loving it!" to sell hamburgers.

Lest I come across as being a music snob good pop is a guilty pleasure but at least in my case I've found that even when I like something about it the feeling doesn't last. Very, very few pop songs ever stay in my music rotation for longer than a couple of months at most.
Old 05-29-2014   #143
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by escrimador View Post
IKR. It's just quotes from media interviews, no observations from the camp itself. Been refreshing the page since 2pm
It is going to be slower getting news out. It used to be that you grabbed players after camp and coach, get your quotes and then write stories.

Now, you get booted early from OTAs, around 11: 40ish.

You are not supposed to tweet what you saw work wise. So that's the reason for the music tweets.

Then coach is supposed to show up around 12:30ish. Then we wait for players after their lunch but before afternoon meetings.

I'm tweeting less stuff because typically the players are saying less stuff.
Old 05-29-2014   #144
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Then why not just use the Mr Irrelevant pick on him instead of "reaching" with the 135th Draft pick ? Obviously my point is that if O'Brien saw potential, what other team(s) might see the same thing and draft Savage before the Texans made their move. Nah, I don't buy it, O'Brien took him with the thought that he's a real long shot who might pay off in a few years as maybe a reliable backup.
If he sees a QB prospect he sees as a realistic candidate to be the Texans starter, he'll use atleast a second-round pick on him.
The way I explained my approach to this draft concerning QBs was dependent on who was there when my pick came up & who I expected to be there by the time my next pick came up.

When the compensatory pick we used to take Savage came up the QBs I liked best were still on the board; McCarron, Mettenberger, & Murray. Those were the guys I thought had the best chance of being productive starters in the NFL. I also included Manziel, Bridgewater, & Carr on the list.

Now that the Texans picked Savage, I have to think their QB list looked something like:
  1. Bortles
  2. Savage
  3. McCarron
  4. Carr
  5. Mettenberger
  6. Garoppolo

Murray & Manziel are totally different QBs than that list & honestly, Garoppolo probably belongs in that Murray/Manziel group.

So at the top of the 5th round... our compensatory 4th, you had the #2, #3, & #4 guys still on the board. By the time our 6th round pick came up (because we traded our 5th to move up to get Nix) I would have expected none of them to still be there. & none of them were.

I understand what you're saying though. If I were running the draft, I would have taken McCarron at 33, thinking the other teams were seeing what I was seeing. But at 33, you also had #4 & #5 from the list of potential starters I prioritized.

The only OG at that time comparable to Su'a-Filo was Zack Martin. Neither were going to be there in the third & there are no comparable OGs that were available in the third.

This draft was different, weird imo. The prototypical guys were all there at the bottom, on the third day. I never would have expected that. It looks like athleticism has moved up a few notches on today's list of desirable traits, and experience has fallen quite a bit. At the very least I would have thought Carr would have gone before Bortles on the fact that he's been pretty consistent for a lot longer, even Bridgewater's experience, I thought, should have put him ahead of Bortles.
Old 05-29-2014   #145
JRingo
Rookie

Rep Power: 1978 JRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
If you really ever studied Kubiaks facial features, it seemed he was very close to having downs syndrome.
Classless post IMO.
JRingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #146
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 110481 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
If you really ever studied Kubiaks facial features, it seemed he was very close to having downs syndrome.
Really?!

Not cool, man.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #147
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 390762 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYTEXANFAN View Post
Anything interesting at OTAs besides music
Pretty much everything that's out there for Day 3 is in post #111 above.

News trickling out in bits & pieces, over time some themes will develop and I'll post some conclusions as they're evident. Nothing earth shattering, yet. Biggest difference is the coaching styles, obvious canned answers, new schemes & players.

I've seen many times in the past a player or players or coaches even will tip their game strategies. This won't be one of those teams. Tight ship.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-29-2014   #148
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Read bottom to top

Quote:
Jayson Braddock @JaysonBraddock · 1h

The #Texans are proving that they're open-minded in every aspect, especially special teams. Don't rule out anyone from contributing.

Quote:

This #Texans coaching staff spends a tremendous amount of time on STs. They understand that it's truly 1/3 of the game. #Texans

Quote:

You'll hear "versatility" & "team" a million times RT @John_Worldpeace: Versatility seems to be the focus with this coaching staff

Quote:

Whether it was stack & shed, pass rush, grip & rip...it didn't matter. Mercilus & Sapp were displaying great form w/ Vrabel's teachings.

Quote:

With JD Clowney out of town, Whitney Mercilus & Ricky Sapp seemed to be on a much higher level in OLB drills. #Texans

Quote:

The Brooks Reed experiment seems to be going smooth. Surprised by how natural he seems at times. Still will use his pass rush ability, too.

Quote:

#Texans really seem to like OG/OT Cody White's versatility. View his role similar to David Quessenberry.
Quote:

Some quick notes on #Texans 3rd day of OTAs...
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #149
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 390762 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

--houstontexans.com
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #150
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 109604 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I need musicians to play the music that I listen to. Some producer creating loops on redundant drum programs is nothing I'll ever be interested in.
I'm kind of with you on that, but then I listen to some industrial music like Ministry. A lot of looping involved there, but I still enjoy it.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014   #151
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post

--houstontexans.com
Dude wearing that number 12 makes it look like a punishment... like a dunce cap or something.
Old 05-30-2014   #152
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 120523 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
I'm kind of with you on that, but then I listen to some industrial music like Ministry. A lot of looping involved there, but I still enjoy it.
I seen ministry at numbers I beleive in 90 or 91. The mind is a terrible thing to taste. GREAT concert!!! I love the underground industrial stuff from the 80s. Front 242, revolting cocks, Nitzer Ebb, caberaite Voltaire, PTP, 1000 homo DJ's, st Che. The mainstream popular music of the 80's sucked and deserves it's reputation for being one of the worst generations of music ever but the underground stuff is some of my favorite of all time.
Old 05-30-2014   #153
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I seen ministry at numbers I beleive in 90 or 91. The mind is a terrible thing to taste. GREAT concert!!! I love the underground industrial stuff from the 80s. Front 242, revolting cocks, Nitzer Ebb, caberaite Voltaire, PTP, 1000 homo DJ's, st Che. The mainstream popular music of the 80's sucked and deserves it's reputation for being one of the worst generations of music ever but the underground stuff is some of my favorite of all time.
Do you mean Number's, the night club? Off of Westheimer? I went there back in the '80's!!! It's still there?
Old 05-30-2014   #154
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 120523 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Do you mean Number's, the night club? Off of Westheimer? I went there back in the '80's!!! It's still there?
Yes that's the one. I went there a lot in the 80s. And yes it's still there. I went to see a friends son who's in a band play across the street from numbers about a month ago. After it was over I was telling my wife about all the great times I had there In the 80s. She noticed the sign said it was 80s night. We ended up going in and it was like going into a time warp. Literally nothing has changed in that place. Same music, same atmosphere. The transvestites are ALOT BIGGER and the gay dude that used to own it and the record rack isn't around anymore. It's 80s night every Friday. You should check it out sometimes it's like going back I time.
Old 05-30-2014   #155
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yes that's the one. I went there a lot in the 80s. And yes it's still there. I went to see a friends son who's in a band play across the street from numbers about a month ago. After it was over I was telling my wife about all the great times I had there In the 80s. She noticed the sign said it was 80s night. We ended up going in and it was like going into a time warp. Literally nothing has changed in that place. Same music, same atmosphere. The transvestites are ALOT BIGGER and the gay dude that used to own it and the record rack isn't around anymore. It's 80s night every Friday. You should check it out sometimes it's like going back I time.
That's crazy!! I had a similar experience with my wife in Juarez, Mexico. I went to basic training and AIT in El Paso in the '80's and partied in Juarez a lot. In 2002, I met my wife (she's from Las Cruces, NM. and 12 years younger than me) and we started talking about Juarez. Lo and behold, we knew the same clubs. We went there in 2004 and the same clubs were still there, with the same décor. Crazy.
Old 05-30-2014   #156
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
That's crazy!! I had a similar experience with my wife in Juarez, Mexico. I went to basic training and AIT in El Paso in the '80's and partied in Juarez a lot. In 2002, I met my wife (she's from Las Cruces, NM. and 12 years younger than me) and we started talking about Juarez. Lo and behold, we knew the same clubs. We went there in 2004 and the same clubs were still there, with the same décor. Crazy.
I partied in Jaurez in the 80's too!! Small world!
Old 05-30-2014   #157
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I partied in Jaurez in the 80's too!! Small world!
Yeah it is. Juarez was a blast back when it was "safe"!!!
Old 05-30-2014   #158
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Yeah it is. Juarez was a blast back when it was "safe"!!!
yeh i wouldn't go back there now if you paid me.
Old 05-30-2014   #159
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
yeh i wouldn't go back there now if you paid me.
No kidding. I have several hundred dollars worth of Venezuelan Bolivar's that I can only cash in in Mexico and I won't go to Juarez to exchange them. My wife and daughter live in Las Cruces and I won't do that.

Wow...I'm currently about 6 miles from Mexico and never even thought about having her send those out to be exchanged. I have 1 week left here, so I might do that.
Old 05-30-2014   #160
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64147 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Lucky to catch many of the so-called New Wave bands there back in the 80's. Adam Ant, The Fixx, Missing Persons, Flock of Seagulls, The Cure ... even some punkers like Black Flagg and Suicidal Tendencies ... was a crazy place back in high school, and no problem to get in underage.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read