Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-29-2014   #121
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans 2014 OTAs begin May 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I recognize Pearl Jam. Who are these people?
I've listened to Pearl Jam and Fuel.

Darius Rucker was the singer of Hootie & The Blowfish and now he's a country guy -- I think I've heard 3 of his songs ever... and 2 of those were Hootie songs.

Rihanna's a cutie and I'm sure I've heard something she sings, but... I couldn't name a single tune of hers if you put a gun to my head. I know Macklemore was a rap artist whose had some #1 hits even though he was independent of a major label, but I don't think I've ever heard anything by him (and I don't want to.)

Swedish House? Is that a massage parlor?
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #122
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
The guy from that Dr. Pepper commercial?
I think that's the Bull dog guy, right?
Old 05-29-2014   #123
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 131049 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I've listened to Pearl Jam and Fuel.

Darius Rucker was the singer of Hootie & The Blowfish and now he's a country guy -- I think I've heard 3 of his songs ever... and 2 of those were Hootie songs.

Rihanna's a cutie and I'm sure I've heard something she sings, but... I couldn't name a single tune of hers if you put a gun to my head. I know Macklemore was a rap artist whose had some #1 hits even though he was independent of a major label, but I don't think I've ever heard anything by him (and I don't want to.)

Swedish House? Is that a massage parlor?
Everyone loves a happy ending
Old 05-29-2014   #124
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I think that's the Bull dog guy, right?
I'm talking about this commercial.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #125
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yep. Never saw that before.
Old 05-29-2014   #126
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Never seen that cat before in my life
Old 05-29-2014   #127
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yep. Never saw that before.
Quote:
Never seen that cat before in my life
Y'all haven't heard Thrift Shop? NSFW due to language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK8mJJJvaes
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-29-2014   #128
AngryNateFTW
Veteran

Rep Power: 18057 AngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why in the world would we know who a rap artist is?
Just because it's rap doesn't mean you're oblivious to it.

I don't like Country but I hear it all the time. Macklemore has quite a few popular songs that were very big hits on the radio.

Thrift Shop (Big), Can't Stop Us, and Same Love (Very Big)
AngryNateFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #129
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post

Is that a real "singer"? That's comical. Kinda like it should be a parody of some sort
Old 05-29-2014   #130
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryNateFTW View Post
Just because it's rap doesn't mean you're oblivious to it.

I don't like Country but I hear it all the time. Macklemore has quite a few popular songs that were very big hits on the radio.

Thrift Shop (Big), Can't Stop Us, and Same Love (Very Big)
1. I don't listen to the radio.

2. I don't watch commercials on TV.

3. I don't watch much TV.

I just listened to a little bit of Thrift Shop. I think I heard it once before but I never knew the name of it or who it was by. And if I never hear it again, I'll be OK with that.
Old 05-29-2014   #131
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Is that a real "singer"? That's comical. Kinda like it should be a parody of some sort
Quote:
1. I don't listen to the radio.

2. I don't watch commercials on TV.

3. I don't watch much TV.

I just listened to a little bit of Thrift Shop. I think I heard it once before but I never knew the name of it or who it was by. And if I never hear it again, I'll be OK with that.
I'm in the same age group as y'all and I'm a Macklemore fan. If you're open to listening to another track, I think this one would appeal to our age group more than Thrift Shop.

Macklemore and Ryan Lewis - My Oh My
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvNQWQSwmow
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #132
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'm in the same age group as y'all and I'm a Macklemore fan. If you're open to listening to another track, I think this one would appeal to our age group more than Thrift Shop.

Macklemore and Ryan Lewis - My Oh My
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvNQWQSwmow
That's a lot better than Thrift Shop, but still not something I'd choose to listen to.

That's not saying it's bad, just not for me. I don't like most rap. I like the concept of spoken word lyrics that are almost prose text over a foundation of music that breaks into actual singing in choruses or whatever. That's an interesting approach to the art-form.

But.

With rap, there's frequently an aura of posing that goes into the delivery of the spoken word part that I find extremely irritating. That "I'm tough, I'm from the streets, I've got an accent" stuff leaves me cold. Even most metal-rap makes me just roll my eyes and walk away.
Old 05-29-2014   #133
AngryNateFTW
Veteran

Rep Power: 18057 AngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's a lot better than Thrift Shop, but still not something I'd choose to listen to.

That's not saying it's bad, just not for me. I don't like most rap. I like the concept of spoken word lyrics that are almost prose text over a foundation of music that breaks into actual singing in choruses or whatever. That's an interesting approach to the art-form.

But.

With rap, there's frequently an aura of posing that goes into the delivery of the spoken word part that I find extremely irritating. That "I'm tough, I'm from the streets, I've got an accent" stuff leaves me cold. Even most metal-rap makes me just roll my eyes and walk away.
Not to say try to sell Macklemore off to you but he's completely different. He doesn't think he's hard, tough, etc. I actually enjoy his music because he's telling a story about the hardships we see around us, and some of his own personal experiences.
AngryNateFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #134
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I recognize Pearl Jam. Who are these people?
I'm with you, man. I had to look up the rest.

Quote:

ugh. My boy brought it home one day, but I made him turn it off around me. The looping sax riff gets old quick.

I need musicians to play the music that I listen to. Some producer creating loops on redundant drum programs is nothing I'll ever be interested in.

But, as always, to each his own. I doubt many here would dig what's in my CD player right now.
Old 05-29-2014   #135
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 71412 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
ugh. My boy brought it home one day, but I made him turn it off around me. The looping sax riff gets old quick.

I need musicians to play the music that I listen to. Some producer creating loops on redundant drum programs is nothing I'll ever be interested in.

But, as always, to each his own. I doubt many here would dig what's in my CD player right now.
I actually think that Ryan Lewis (the producer) is better at what he does than Macklemore is. But you gotta listen to the other stuff. Thrift Shop is supposed to be a kinda poppy annoying version of Wing$ in my opinion.

Reminded me of why you don't prod the bear.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #136
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTexan View Post
I actually think that Ryan Lewis (the producer) is better at what he does than Macklemore is. But you gotta listen to the other stuff. Thrift Shop is supposed to be a kinda poppy annoying version of Wing$ in my opinion.
Thanks for the heads up, man. I'll check out any kind of music at least once.

I get why folks like it, though. It's catchy, like a good pop song should be. There is certainly talent involved with writing catchy hooks.
Old 05-29-2014   #137
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 15034 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Anything interesting at OTAs besides music
PHILLYTEXANFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #138
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Quote:
Stephanie Stradley ‏@StephStradley
Quote:
DJ Swearinger likes the new D better, enjoys the flexibility of D, ability to confuse opponents/disguise looks. Now tough to pick up.
So its a big boy defense. Got it.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #139
escrimador
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 escrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYTEXANFAN View Post
IKR. It's just quotes from media interviews, no observations from the camp itself. Been refreshing the page since 2pm
escrimador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #140
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYTEXANFAN View Post
I can answer a lot of questions, but it is hard for me to just write up everything as a narrative.

So far I've answered three questions on OTAs so far at this chat. The chat is only as good as the questions I get:

http://www.replyall.me/stephanie-str...t-texans-otas/

You can subscribe to it to see answers as they pop up I believe as well.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read