Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-12-2014   #421
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans 2014 OTAs begin May 27

Does anyone know why Clowney wasn't at OTAs today? It wouldn't have hurt him to listen to a few of these pointers McGinest supposedly gave.
Old 06-12-2014   #422
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 137288 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

From Play-offs post:

Quote:
We've got 4 QBs who are really into football. They study hard, ask questions, text me throughout the day with questions... deciding who will be the #2 QB is a day by day process -- Godsey

Does that mean they've decided Fitz is the #1?
xtruroyaltyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #423
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 139289 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Is there any news on Brennan Williams?
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #424
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Does anyone know why Clowney wasn't at OTAs today?
Radio silence so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Does that mean they've decided Fitz is the #1?
Not exactly, but of course likely. More means It'll be vet + vet + Savage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
Is there any news on Brennan Williams?
Not sure if he'll be ready for the start of training camp, is the latest.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #425
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 137288 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
I prefer when the linemen up the middle stonewall the defense, slide step and work laterally vs just dropping back 3 yards and possibly impeding the QB. You should try to engage the defender as close to the line of scrimmage as possible.
??????

No...you shouldn't. There's all kinds of wrong with what you're saying.

If it's a quick throw, or three step drop your goal as an OL should be to get the DL's hands down so they can't bat the quick pass because they should not be able to get to the QB.

You'll often see OL go for cut blocks in this scenario.

If it is a typical 5-7 drop. I'm not sure what world you live in where the linemen just slide left and right and keep the defense in front of them.

These are some of the best athletes in the world. When those D-linemen start doing all kinds of moves with that speed/agility and using their hands trying to get past you have to give ground....unless they are just a scrub...And there's not too many of those guys playing in the NFL.

I don't want to speak in absolutes, but I am...No one that knows what they're doing is telling the O-line (any of them) to not give ground when pass protecting.

Unless it's a play action or a quick pass, your first step should be some variation of back...aka giving some ground.

Also, Sometimes interior OL have to help out the tackles...either because of a stunt...or just giving some help.

If the tackles are kick-sliding (do you know what that is?) and giving ground, how the hell are the guards going to be in position to solidify the protection (AKA form a pocket for the QB) if they aren't also giving a little ground? Tackles are already on an island kind of...Do you know how much more difficult it'd be if the Center and Gaurds all stayed at the LOS? The outside rush would have all kinds of opprotunity.

You can say you prefer the interior linemen to not give any ground at all if you want, but you just sound foolish.
Old 06-12-2014   #426
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 16087 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I honestly don't think Newton is as bad as he looked last season.

He beat out some ok competition in Rashard Butler for the job...Ryan Harris didn't really take the job from Newton...

I think that injury he had affected him as well as some pretty shoddy technique...I've said it before and I'll say it again...just based on seeing some of the things our Oline did on a regular basis, I was not a fan of Benton.
Maybe so...but stuff like this makes me think anyone would be better than Newton.

buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #427
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
Maybe so...but stuff like this makes me think anyone would be better than Newton.

Oh I'm not saying Newton wasn't terrible last season...He was....

I just think that with better coaching (hopefully) and improved health he should be better.

Newton's feet were horrible on that play...His technique was raggedy all season. Part of the reason I am glad Benton is gone.

Loot at Newton's feet...They are too close together...He has no base...and then to top it off he lunges when all he has to do is catch that inside shoulder of the defender and rid him pass the pocket.

Getting beat on something that basic is pretty poor. Defender didn't do anything special. Just ran around the edge and knocked Newton's hands away.
Sponsored links
Old 06-12-2014   #428
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Oh I'm not saying Newton wasn't terrible last season...He was....

I just think that with better coaching (hopefully) and improved health he should be better.

Newton's feet were horrible on that play...His technique was raggedy all season. Part of the reason I am glad Benton is gone.

Loot at Newton's feet...They are too close together...He has no base...and then to top it off he lunges when all he has to do is catch that inside shoulder of the defender and rid him pass the pocket.

Getting beat on something that basic is pretty poor. Defender didn't do anything special. Just ran around the edge and knocked Newton's hands away.
I re - watched the Dolphins game from 2011 (?) and I saw a totally different player.

I just hope he can come back totally healthy.
We need him more than ever now.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #429
playa465
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 34219 playa465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

As bad as Newton looked in this play he is not alone. Without seeing the entire play/field it looks like Keenum may have been able to step up into the pocket if there was one more than .5 sec
playa465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #430
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by playa465 View Post
As bad as Newton looked in this play he is not alone. Without seeing the entire play/field it looks like Keenum may have been able to step up into the pocket if there was one more than .5 sec
I don't see a pocket for him to step up into.

the ball is snapped at 1:41. As the clock turns over from 1:40 to 1:39 Keenum is on the run. What else is there to say?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #431
playa465
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 34219 playa465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

the ball is snapped at 1:41. As the clock turns over from 1:40 to 1:39 Keenum is on the run. What else is there to say?
Hey now there is at least .5 between 1:40 and 1:39
playa465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #432
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

SOTT: Texans OTAs Day 9: Laying the Groundwork

--chron.com

Last edited by Playoffs; 06-12-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Old 06-12-2014   #433
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

--chron.com
Old 06-12-2014   #434
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 131049 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Is it just me our is Foster looking really healthy/Good so far.
Old 06-12-2014   #435
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 164570 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Is it just me our is Foster looking really healthy/Good so far.
He made BOB smile.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014   #436
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

If that had been Mario we'd have been talking about how Newton ran him out of the play.
Old 06-13-2014   #437
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

I like Keenum. I would love for the UH prospect to win a Super Bowl for the city of Houston. Even better if he can do it in the City of Houston (2017).

& the line didn't do him no favors there, & the receivers may not have gotten open soon enough. But it's a three step drop, we're backed up against the end zone, & he's lost sight of the rusher from his right side.

If he's going to tuck & run (which may have been the right decision at that time) he's got to know he has to secure the football. Had he kept the ball, the game is still alive. Instead, that game is over at the moment KC gains possession of the ball.

That right there, was Keenum's first opportunity to demonstrate he is the guy you want with the ball in his hands, when the game is on the line.

Matt Schaub wasn't that guy. As good as he was between the 20s & in the regular season, once we got to a situation that was real, Arian Foster was the man that took that on his shoulders, because Schaub failed to deliver in such situations more times than not, on his own. & I'm not a Schaub hater. I've got much respect for the guy & some gratitude for what he's done for our organization. But let's be real, right? The only reason many here do not like Schaub is because he's gutless. He's got enough talent, skill, & ability to do great things, but when given the opportunity, there's always some excuse.

Yeah, that was Keenum's first game & up to that point, I was really excited about what he was able to do. I didn't blame that loss on Keenum, but did jot down his lack of recognition of the situation (& subsequent failure to secure the football) was the primary reason that game ended before we could win.

But things like that kept happening, & whether Keenum's mistakes were the primary reason or not in the other games, his mistakes contributed to us not winning as much as any other player.... fine, he's still basically a rookie & the team was falling apart around him. Fine. Whether he deserves it or not, he's getting another shot right now. That chance starts with beating Ryan Fitzpatrick.

IMO, if he doesn't beat Fitz, we need to move on. Cut him, let him go on to bigger & better things. But we'll probably keep him on the roster, to give him yet another opportunity to prove he can play this game at the level we'd like to see.
Old 06-13-2014   #438
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

That doesn't look like it was supposed to be a quick throw. The only lineman that stops blocking was newton.

Wade smith even went diving after the LB.
Keenum has to secure the football. Newton can't let his guy just run around the edge unmolested. He might as well have just been a cone and keenum a tackle dummy.
Old 06-13-2014   #439
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
I prefer when the linemen up the middle stonewall the defense, slide step and work laterally vs just dropping back 3 yards and possibly impeding the QB. You should try to engage the defender as close to the line of scrimmage as possible.
Then you also prefer your interior linemen to give up multiple sacks a game. You want to hold a block for 2.5-4.5 ish seconds. Would you rather hold it longer? Of course but they get paid too. Your primary target is their chest. When I played, if I got my hands inside your numbers, you were toast. The way you're gonna get your hands inside like that is if you shuffle step, set your base, and deliver a punch. In addition, if you try to fire off and stone them at the LoS, and you miss, QB is toast with one of the hardest pressures to beat, interior pressure. No where to go.
Old 06-13-2014   #440
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If that had been Mario we'd have been talking about how Newton ran him out of the play.
I'd rather Newton get some body on him, but Keenum has to get rid of the ball. He felt to often that he could outrun rushers. His pocket wasn't great, but he also didn't have to take off like he did. He ran into Hali. Newton didn't do terrible, but he needed to get his hands on him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by playa465 View Post
Looks like he had Tate for a 2-3 yard gain. Sometimes you have to take that pass and not get sacked. WHo knows, breaks a tackle and has a big play.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read