Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-11-2014   #401
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans 2014 OTAs begin May 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Have you ever played football? in what bizarre world are the interior OLinemen taught to 'give ground'?

So you're saying that Clowney with his awesome first step is going to split a C and G on his way to the QB. First it was about him doing it as a NT all alone, then it turned to a 'nascar' package. What is it going to be next? Giving ground ... good stuff.
...are you serious? While guards and centers don't give as much ground as a tackle in pass pro, they 100% take at least a few steps backwards. If you don't, good luck...
Old 06-11-2014   #402
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

OTA Day 8 Observations
John Harris | Texans Analyst

Quote:
The football side, though, is tricky in David's absence. Without the guy that was thought, at worst, to be the team's swing tackle and, at best, to start at one of the offensive line positions, the Texans are left with little in the way of tackle options.

Brennan Williams is still recuperating from microfracture surgery and has played fewer than ten games in two calendar years. Xavier Su'a-Filo, thought to be a strong candidate to take over at guard, has the versatility to play both guard and tackle, but missing ten days of offensive installation eliminates the option of learning both positions.

So, the tackle depth chart, as it sits right now behind Duane Brown and Derek Newton, consists of nothing but undrafted rookie free agents. After watching Newton closely in OTA, I see a different player than in 2013, much different. But, until the pads go on, we won't know for sure whether he's going to emerge from the long shadow cast by such an individually difficult season.

I've mentioned the three tackles that the team signed post-draft. Bryan Witzmann from South Dakota State, Matt Fieler from Bloomsburg and Anthony Dima from UMass, who the Texans signed off of waivers after rookie mini-camp. I wouldn't expect a starter from that group, but I would now expect one of those three guys, at a minimum, to make the 53-man roster, given the upheaval at that position. Yes, the team must sign a veteran but there's not a tackle Walmart out there where you can just pluck a 6-5, 305 lb. man off the shelf for future use. Heck, there's not even an OL Quicky Mart convenience store and that's just an unfortunate fact of life; I'd go there to shop every day, but I'm a football goofball.

Anyhow, if timing works in the Texans favor in the slightest, they can sign someone this week, have him in for mandatory mini-camp and give him five weeks to learn the basics of the playbook prior to training camp. That's the good news, slight though it may be, in a day wrought with a ton of bad.

Get well, David.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014   #403
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 137288 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So, the tackle depth chart, as it sits right now behind Duane Brown and Derek Newton, consists of nothing but undrafted rookie free agents. After watching Newton closely in OTA, I see a different player than in 2013, much different. But, until the pads go on, we won't know for sure whether he's going to emerge from the long shadow cast by such an individually difficult season.
I honestly don't think Newton is as bad as he looked last season.

He beat out some ok competition in Rashard Butler for the job...Ryan Harris didn't really take the job from Newton...

I think that injury he had affected him as well as some pretty shoddy technique...I've said it before and I'll say it again...just based on seeing some of the things our Oline did on a regular basis, I was not a fan of Benton.
xtruroyaltyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014   #404
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

How about Tyson Clabo, Ryan Harris, or Eric Winston as insurance?

They should work for veteran mininum?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014   #405
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 146868 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
How about Tyson Clabo, Ryan Harris, or Eric Winston as insurance?

They should work for veteran mininum?
i'd take any of them over what we're poised to trot out there without quess. heck, i'd rather see if vrabel can add a few pounds than rely on newton or the others.
Old 06-11-2014   #406
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post

He beat out some ok competition in Rashard Butler for the job...Ryan Harris didn't really take the job from Newton...

I think that injury he had affected him as well as some pretty shoddy technique...I've said it before and I'll say it again...just based on seeing some of the things our Oline did on a regular basis, I was not a fan of Benton.
If this coaching staff can make a purse out of the pig's ear that Newton has been so far, they'll deserve a standing ovation. Newt was horrid in '13, but injured & overweight. He was just bad in '12.

One thing going for him is his thighs don't rub anymore...

Old 06-11-2014   #407
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
If this coaching staff can make a purse out of the pig's ear that Newton has been so far, they'll deserve a standing ovation. Newt was horrid in '13, but injured & overweight. He was just bad in '12.

One thing going for him is his thighs don't rub anymore...

When Newton was at 311 pounds coming out of college, the feeling by the experts was that in order to succeed in the NFL, he would need to add some more bulk. He obviously overshot with 330 pounds at the 2013 OTAs. But I assure you, that had a lot to do with his offseason Patella tendon surgery. Just as I emphasized last year that he never had opportunity to fully rehab from the surgery prior to the season, and certainly not during the season. If you also remember, I've tried to have people give him a great deal of slack for his performance last year because of this....as I've also tried to encourage people that there is reason for hope that as he is fully rehabbed from his injury (which he was forced to play through and look bad a good deal of the 2012 season prior to having the surgery after that season was completed), he could, especially with the accumulated experience, come out this year as a totally different player. He already apparently has the physique to go with his new makeover. I suspect that he may surprise quite a few people this year unless he reinjures his knee.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-11-2014   #408
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
...I suspect that he may surprise quite a few people this year unless he reinjures his knee.
A'ight, now tell me why Ricky Sapp never smiles/always looks unhappy?
Old 06-11-2014   #409
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not anymore.........he just got a new pair of choppers........

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 06-11-2014 at 05:39 PM.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014   #410
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Apparently Watt and several others are enjoying Schlitterbahn on their day off.

I can tell Watt, Reed, Browner and Crick in this one. I think Yates might be the one with jorts. Not sure.

Browner, Watt and can't tell who the dude is with the dreads

Old 06-11-2014   #411
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Apparently Watt and several others are enjoying Schlitterbahn on their day off.

I can tell Watt, Reed, Browner and Crick in this one. I think Yates might be the one with jorts. Not sure.

Browner, Watt and can't tell who the dude is with the dreads

Swaginger?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014   #412
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Swaginger?
Swearinger has longer hair. He's not that big either
Old 06-11-2014   #413
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Swearinger has longer hair. He's not that big either
Yeah. I din't know for sure. Was just a S.W.A.G.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014   #414
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
I don't think he has to be much better than he was last year. If we fixed that gapping whole at LG, giving ground on the right side isn't a deal breaker. Hopefully Su'a-Filo is that fix at LG & DB76 can return to form not having to compensate for Wade.

Being able to step up in the pocket is going to help our QB tremendously & mitigate shoddy play at RT.

A true blocking TE is going to help as well.
Old 06-11-2014   #415
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Look at that hairline.
Old 06-11-2014   #416
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 21560 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
...are you serious? While guards and centers don't give as much ground as a tackle in pass pro, they 100% take at least a few steps backwards. If you don't, good luck...
I prefer when the linemen up the middle stonewall the defense, slide step and work laterally vs just dropping back 3 yards and possibly impeding the QB. You should try to engage the defender as close to the line of scrimmage as possible.
Old 06-11-2014   #417
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I would not be shocked to see Ryan Harris back at 29 and experienced in ZBS with Houston.
Old 06-11-2014   #418
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I would not be shocked to see Ryan Harris back at 29 and experienced in ZBS with Houston.
& at 6-5 302lbs, he's got good size.
Old 06-12-2014   #419
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
When Newton was at 311 pounds coming out of college, the feeling by the experts was that in order to succeed in the NFL, he would need to add some more bulk. He obviously overshot with 330 pounds at the 2013 OTAs. But I assure you, that had a lot to do with his offseason Patella tendon surgery. Just as I emphasized last year that he never had opportunity to fully rehab from the surgery prior to the season, and certainly not during the season. If you also remember, I've tried to have people give him a great deal of slack for his performance last year because of this....as I've also tried to encourage people that there is reason for hope that as he is fully rehabbed from his injury (which he was forced to play through and look bad a good deal of the 2012 season prior to having the surgery after that season was completed), he could, especially with the accumulated experience, come out this year as a totally different player. He already apparently has the physique to go with his new makeover. I suspect that he may surprise quite a few people this year unless he reinjures his knee.
There is hope with a fully healed Newton. I'm also very high on Witzmann. He's last yrs Ques. IMHO

Get well soon Ques.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #420
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

First look video: http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-medi...9-2d117d5ebce6

Deepi Sidhu ‏@DeepSlant
Quote:
Whitney Mercilus said he learned a lot, including pass rush techniques from Willie McGinest who was in team meeting and at practice today.

Godsey on O'Brien: I really like his straightforwardness, honesty. That's the leader we want. As coaches under him, we've all learned a lot.

QB coach George Godsey will address media at today's press conference post-practice. #Texans
Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro
Quote:
Derek Newton said his knee bothered him some last season but he's healthy now. #Texans

Godsey, who used to play for O'Brien, says that O'Brien has become one of his better friends. #Texans

The #Texans have one more day of voluntary OTAs tomorrow. The mandatory minicamp is next Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

Former Patriot Willie McGinest was at practice observing today. Even gave some instruction to some of the linebackers. #Texans
We've got 4 QBs who are really into football. They study hard, ask questions, text me throughout the day with questions... deciding who will be the #2 QB is a day by day process -- Godsey
Drew Dougherty @DoughertyDrew
Quote:
Godsey: O'Brien is constantly thinking about how to improve the #Texans.

Godsey: learning by making mistakes is truest way to learn. Savage has done good job of progressing from that. #Texans

Godsey: We're not holding much back from Savage. We're coaching him hard. He's a hungry young man. Comes in on weekends.

Godsey: Keenum/Yates working hard at the system, also helping Savage too. #Texans
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Quote:
George Godsey "First thing we look for in a quarterback is how much does he want to get in there and how much time does he want to spend."

George Godsey on Tom Savage "He's a hungry young man, and we don't hold back on what we give him. Our goal is 2 teach the unit the offense."
Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith
Quote:
#Texans QB coach Godsey said there's a lot of verbiage with offense. Joked all #NFL offenses are complex. That's why coaches don't have hair

#Texans' Godsey said he's always believed the game is played through quarterback's eyes. Trying to establish that with team.

#Texans QB coach Godsey said "knowledge is power" and Fitzpatrick has more knowledge because of his experience. #NFL
James Palmer @JPalmerCSN
Quote:
Elbert Mack said Kareem Jackson looks great playing inside corner for a guy that's never really played there before.

Whitney Mercilus said his new role on this D is very different than last year. Vrabel says being good with your hands is very important

Godsey says there is a lot of pressure on QBs during meetings. QBs get asked questions on the spot in front of everyone in meetings. #Texans

Godsey says they’re not holding anything back when throwing the offense at Savage. Says he constantly wants more reps
PDS ‏@PatDStat
Quote:
"When they don't have the right answer [in meeting room] on a question that is just like a bad rep." Godsey on the QBs that don't take snaps. #Texans

"We are never going to be one-dimensional." Godsey on the offense. #Texans

Right now our goal is to teach the unit the offense. - Godsey #Texans
AdamWexlerCSN @awexler
Quote:
Godsey says the game is really played thru the QB's eyes. Very important to relay what the QB sees to the other coaches/players #Texans

Godsey says Savage done a good job learning from mistakes. Seeing it on film, put in same situation next day, showing improvement. #Texans

"For a rookie QB it's very difficult, we're not holding much back from him. Thing I like about Tom is he wants to learn," Godsey on Savage
John McClain @McClain_on_NFL
Quote:
Texans said they were happy McGinest was invited to give them pointers and answer their questions.

OLB Whitney Mercilus said he learned a lot from McGinest on field and in meeting room today.

McGinest made same transition Clowney is making from DE to OLB.

McGinest gave pointers to players in meetings and on field.

McGinist played for DC Romeo Crennel and with LB coach Mike Vrabel at NE. They brought him to meetings and on the field.

Willie McGinist watched practice for NFL Network and Texans put him to work.

Last edited by Playoffs; 06-12-2014 at 05:14 PM.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read