Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-09-2014   #361
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans 2014 OTAs begin May 27

--houstontexans.com
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014   #362
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88550 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Is that Trevardo?

Is he still hurt?
xtruroyaltyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014   #363
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Is that Trevardo?

Is he still hurt?
91 is Ricky Sapp: http://www.houstontexans.com/team/roster.html
Old 06-09-2014   #364
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Trevardo's the one not dressed out in the background. IIRC, he's still nursing an ankle issue.
Old 06-09-2014   #365
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Trevardo's the one not dressed out in the background. IIRC, he's still nursing an ankle issue.
Trevardo is going to bust due to his many ankle issues.

I'm glad the Texans finally got a coach to do the time management stuff.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014   #366
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
---(on how he sees the fullback position fitting in to the offense) “I think anytime you’re in the draft and you have a situation where you can help your team personnel-wise on offense by drafting a fullback like Prosch, and we also have Toben Opurum here too. I think that helps your football team. Training camp will be the true test for a fullback. It will help the toughness of your football team, it helps on special teams. A two-back running game is always a good thing. I think anytime you can line up in 21 personnel and run the football, and play action, it is a good thing.”

---(on his impression of Jadeveon Clowney transitioning to linebacker) “He’s really worked hard. That position has worked extremely hard just like all the positions. I think he’s a guy that’s come in here and really put in extra time so far. He needs to keep doing it. He’s put in extra time in the training room to work on his flexibility. He’s put in extra time on the practice field. He’s being coached very well by Mike Vrabel and Romeo Crennel.

I would say the same for all of those guys. Whitney (Mercilus) has gotten better every week. (Ricky) Sapp had a good week last week and looked like he had a decent day today. I think there are some young guys, (Jason) Ankrah from Nebraska looked like he’s been doing some good things. I think we are on the right track there, I think the whole linebacker position is on the right track.”

---(on if they teach the outside linebacker position to Jadeveon Clowney all at once or pieces at a time) “I think you teach it by package, so first thing you teach is how to play the Sam position, or the right outside linebacker, left outside linebacker position in the 3-4. You start with that. That’s what Romeo (Crennel) always does and I like that. There is a foundation there.

Then you move from there to the next package, which was nickel and then then next package, which was dime. Sometimes he moves around. He’s not always playing outside backer. Sometimes he’s an end. Sometimes he’s a three-technique. Sometimes he’s a nose. I think you do it by package so he can in his own mind, along with all the players that do those things, they can segment in their mind and understand the importance of each package. It’s not just Jadeveon.

It’s every player on our team—offense, defense—really has to learn it by personnel, by package. Again, it goes back to the versatility of the player. That’s what we’re trying to teach all these guys, to be versatile. The more you can do is better for the team.”
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...f-58c60ab767ea
Old 06-09-2014   #367
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Sometimes JDC is a nose?

That is curious.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-09-2014   #368
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213938 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Sometimes JDC is a nose?

That is curious.
Let's just hope that's not the fourth and inches on the goal line package
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014   #369
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Sometimes JDC is a nose?

That is curious.
Situational football. Gotta be multiple and have players prepared for any scenario where you can take advantage of a matchup.
Old 06-09-2014   #370
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sometimes JDC is a nose?

That is curious.
It might have been my imagination, but I think I've seen JC at the nose once in college.
Again, might have been my imagination, he was a non-factor on the play.

The thought is intriguing though.
When you have guys like Watt and JC who are so quick with their first step, they can "somewhat" control or manage two gaps where ever they line up.

It may not be at the nose, but I don't think it's out of the realism to have Watt at 3T and JC at 5T (like Antonio) and creating more havoc.
Maybe not in the first year, but it's intriguing just the same.

I really can't wait to see what RC has in store.

I hope to see more turnovers; that's for sure.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014   #371
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sometimes JDC is a nose?

That is curious.
" I think you do it by package so he can in his own mind, along with all the players that do those things, they can segment in their mind and understand the importance of each package. It’s not just Jadeveon."

My emphasis.

He's talking about the installation. The question was about JD but OB wanted to talk about the process of installing the defense. This isn't just specific to him. A lot of the players are learning different spots on the field.
Old 06-09-2014   #372
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Situational football. Gotta be multiple and have players prepared for any scenario where you can take advantage of a matchup.
Also might just feeling out Jd... how does he react, how does he approach it? Does he give me 100% when I put him at the nose, or is he going to prove to me it's a bad idea?
Old 06-09-2014   #373
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88550 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Yep.

Different packages and personnel for different situations. Clowney is versatile enough to line up in different spots and do different things. Might as well take advantage of that.
Old 06-09-2014   #374
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Sometimes JDC is a nose? That is curious.
Love it. If there's one thing at the top of Brady's hate list it's pressure up the middle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
It might have been my imagination, but I think I've seen JC at the nose once in college...
Yep, first play of the UNC game is one.
Old 06-09-2014   #375
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17795 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Love it. If there's one thing at the top of Brady's hate list it's pressure up the middle.

Yep, first play of the UNC game is one.
I don't think JDC as nose is maximizing his ability. He'll just get swallowed up by the hogs on the inside. I'd bet he lines up there only to drop into a shallow zone or something along those lines. JDC doesn't have the girth to shift the LOS in close quarters such as a Mario Williams per say.
Old 06-09-2014   #376
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5748 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
I don't think JDC as nose is maximizing his ability. He'll just get swallowed up by the hogs on the inside. I'd bet he lines up there only to drop into a shallow zone or something along those lines. JDC doesn't have the girth to shift the LOS in close quarters such as a Mario Williams per say.
JDC has a very fast get off. Maybe he shoots a gap on the inside, or maybe OBs plan is more to see what the OL has to scheme against a Nix or Bowe on the other side. On the fly, that's got to something for a QB/C/G to think about. Who knows, it's probably more of just a stunt, but I like the idea of them trying to think outside the box. If the OL has no idea how the DL is going to line up down to down, it could disrupt things. Especially if someone is beating an OL because they are quicker or bigger. It's all a guess, but RC is definitely trying to see what kind of tools he has in the shed. Multipurpose tools are always nice.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014   #377
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
This likely would be for sure passing situations.
Old 06-09-2014   #378
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
This likely would be for sure passing situations.
You would think that would be without question. Oh well!!!
Old 06-10-2014   #379
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Clowney at the nose means he would be lined up inside Watt on passing downs. A DC can get creative with that combo, and I'd venture to say your OLB will benefit from all the attention needed between the tackles.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014   #380
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

RAC presser today, very unusual start...

All the media was asked to introduce themselves to Romeo one-by-one.

Now he's bringing everyone up to speed on how he got here and why?

Greg Bailey @GregBailey13
Quote:
#Texans Crennel: you must be good up the middle in my defense. NT needs to command a double team. That allows everybody else to make plays.

#Texans Crennel: we will encourage David Quessenberry. We can help him beat lymphoma. Coach O'Brien knew something was going on with David.

#Texans Crennel: we have good players on defense. But everybody looks good in shorts. Put the pads on and we will see.

#texans Crennel on taking the Def. Coordinator job here: O'Brien is a football guy. This is a good team that lost close games in 4th qtr.

#Texans Romeo Crennel: I'm just an average hard working guy. Have you heard that before? With big laugh.
John McClain @McClain_on_NFL
Quote:
Crennel on LB coach Mike Vrabel "I'm excited coaching with him like I was coaching him. I always feel good having him on my side."

Crennel on Cushing, who's not on the field but will be ready for camp "He's sharp but meetings aren't the same as being on the field."

Crennel on Clowney "He's coming along fine. He's studious. He's making rookie mistakes. His head's spinning like all our rookies."

Crennel on JJ Watt "He's pretty good. That's what I've noticed." He was laughing when he said it.

Crennel on Quessenberry "We have to support him and do everything we can to encourage and help him."

Crennel "training camp is when we really find out what we have cause everybody looks good in shorts."

When Romeo Crennel did his first group interview he asked reporters to introduce themselves. Haven't seen that in 35 years covering NFL.
Dave Zangaro @DZangaro
Quote:
RAC says this business is about "what have you done for me lately? And I haven't done anything lately." #Texans

RAC says Clowney is a No. 1 but has to earn his spot. #Texans

Is Brooks Reed an inside linebacker now? "Well, not totally." -- RAC. Says they are looking at him inside.

"I have not seen a defense yet that can't use play-makers." RAC on Watt's style of play

Crennel said Louis Nix got his knee banged up early so he got a little behind. #Texans

RAC said coaching with Vrabel is just as special as it was to coach him. Said you never really know if a guy will be a coach while playing.

RAC says Clowney is studious but, like all rookies, is making rookie mistakes.

RAC says the NT is so important because a 3-4 team has to be good up the middle. #Texans

"He's pretty good, I think." -- Crennel on J.J. Watt

Crennel said O'Brien didn't think everything was "up to par" with Quessenberry.

Crennel points toward the close losses last season. Said he thought this was a good situation for him. #Texans
Drew Dougherty @DoughertyDrew
Quote:
"I don't yell and scream as much as I used to." Crennel on how he's changed as a coach from his younger days. #Texans

Crennel: liked the "fight" he saw in #Texans late in games last season, despite the bad record.
Deepi Sidhu @DeepSlant
Quote:
Crennel on his return to coaching: I haven't done anything lately. I have to get to work to get something to get done. #Texans

Crennel says Brooks Reed is getting a look at ILB: I feel like I can put him at either spot (OLB or ILB). He's a value to us. #Texans

Crennel on placing Watt in his defense: If you've got a playmaker, you're going to use him. You have to be flexible in the NFL. #Texans

Louis Nix III got banged up early in OTAs w/ a knee but has since returned. Crennel says he can tell Nix is a sharp guy. #Texans

Crennel on Cushing who is not practicing yet but is in meetings: "He's going to pick it up. I can tell that already." #Texans

Crennel says there is no real timetable for Jadeveon Clowney to pick up system. "He's making progress." #Texans

Crennel likes a big NT and athletic guys on the ends in his defense: The nose is critical. He's got to be able to beat the double team.

Romeo Crennel on working with J.J. Watt: He's pretty good, I believe. He's a pleasure to work with. His best is pretty good. #Texans

Training camp is when Romeo feels like #Texans will really know what they have, not OTAs: "Everyone looks good in shorts."

Romeo on why he came to Houston: Good organization, good players, liked what he knew about O'Brien being a football guy. #Texans

Last edited by Playoffs; 06-10-2014 at 05:29 PM.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read