Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-30-2014   #201
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Texans 2014 OTAs begin May 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Whut?

Came up empty.

So, whut??
fat fingers on an iphone.

Old 05-30-2014   #202
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Whut?

Came up empty.

So, whut??
I have no idea what I was saying either.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014   #203
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
I think with the way football has evolved on the NFL level, you almost have to give your QB's some of that freedom that the current QB's are describing.

Depending on who's under center and how much they can handle....How much the coach wants to give them...But I think the goal should be to put more on their plate...Not limit it.
You know,there is a reason manning has struggled in the playoffs. I know people and tv heads want to think of him as a computer and that's fine. In the playoffs vs top tier talent,there is a dc who's only job is to make the qb do something he doesn't want to do. I think the coaches of manning and not forcing him to run certain plays has hurt them in the playoffs. We don't have to use seattle and what they did,go back to the saints superbowl and that pick six. Tracy Porter said,just as the seahwaks said, if you give manning a certain look,he's bailing out on a play. Now to his credit,during the regular season and the lack of playoff intensity and game planning,he's been great. I mean shotgun run doesn't mean you have a running game. There isn't anything wrong with establishing a run game despite a 7 man box. Peyton sees a 7 man box,he checks to a pass. Then his teams play a team like seattle who doesn't really 8 box and you see 8 rushing attempts.

The nfl is evolving,no doubt,but that doesn't mean the qb shouldntt run what the oc called. If that's the case, why have an oc? We heard when payton was suspended for the year,brees is like a coach,he will be ok. Brees went on to have a career high in picks and the team won 7 games. Coaching,playcalling,and gameplans matter. Kubes as a oc and head coach has put up some great numbers despite avg qbs,resurrection projects and such. Every play called is designed to work,maybe not to go for a td,but to gain positive yards. Kubes system works,we know this and I don't know why people want to act like it don't. Every play under kubes system has a built in audible. After the seattle pick six, a lot of them was talking about how they knew what play was coming based on their gameplan. That may be true,no nfl team is fooled by the other team. Its about the players,not the plays. I guess seattle knew what plays the texans were running when they dropped 500 yds of offense on them,right. The sherman pick six was a familar play that the texans ran the previous week with better results and different people. All schaub had to do is throw the post to andre. Just like vs the titans he had hopkins on a 9 route probably for a td vs throwing to the sticks.
Old 05-31-2014   #204
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
You know,there is a reason manning has struggled in the playoffs.
Good post & I agree. He's too close to what's going on. An OC who doesn't have the emotional involvement Peyton has, a bit of objectivity (if you will) would help Peyton in the post season.

But just like you don't want to turn Michael Vick into Dan Marino, I'm not saying take the offense out of Peyton's hands, just give a little more weight to the OC & what he's trying to establish. Like you said, every play is designed to succeed. Not necessarily a touchdown, but to get the defense thinking & reacting a certain way.
Old 05-31-2014   #205
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think with the way football has evolved on the NFL level, you almost have to give your QB's some of that freedom that the current QB's are describing.

Depending on who's under center and how much they can handle....How much the coach wants to give them...But I think the goal should be to put more on their plate...Not limit it.
You mean go back to the days when guys like this

actually ran the huddle and called all the plays

But who do we have that is mentally ready for that responsibility?
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014   #206
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 137288 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You know,there is a reason manning has struggled in the playoffs. I know people and tv heads want to think of him as a computer and that's fine. In the playoffs vs top tier talent,there is a dc who's only job is to make the qb do something he doesn't want to do. I think the coaches of manning and not forcing him to run certain plays has hurt them in the playoffs. We don't have to use seattle and what they did,go back to the saints superbowl and that pick six. Tracy Porter said,just as the seahwaks said, if you give manning a certain look,he's bailing out on a play. Now to his credit,during the regular season and the lack of playoff intensity and game planning,he's been great. I mean shotgun run doesn't mean you have a running game. There isn't anything wrong with establishing a run game despite a 7 man box. Peyton sees a 7 man box,he checks to a pass. Then his teams play a team like seattle who doesn't really 8 box and you see 8 rushing attempts.

The nfl is evolving,no doubt,but that doesn't mean the qb shouldntt run what the oc called. If that's the case, why have an oc? We heard when payton was suspended for the year,brees is like a coach,he will be ok. Brees went on to have a career high in picks and the team won 7 games. Coaching,playcalling,and gameplans matter. Kubes as a oc and head coach has put up some great numbers despite avg qbs,resurrection projects and such. Every play called is designed to work,maybe not to go for a td,but to gain positive yards. Kubes system works,we know this and I don't know why people want to act like it don't. Every play under kubes system has a built in audible. After the seattle pick six, a lot of them was talking about how they knew what play was coming based on their gameplan. That may be true,no nfl team is fooled by the other team. Its about the players,not the plays. I guess seattle knew what plays the texans were running when they dropped 500 yds of offense on them,right. The sherman pick six was a familar play that the texans ran the previous week with better results and different people. All schaub had to do is throw the post to andre. Just like vs the titans he had hopkins on a 9 route probably for a td vs throwing to the sticks.

Manning has gotten to three superbowls and has won one.

I'd love to have those kind if struggles.

I don't really agree with your manning premise, but there is a lot of gray area. It's not just about what an OC calls during a game. The prep during the week...over the course of the year...over the course of a career.

Almost every qb has some struggles at some point. I don't know that manning has more success with less control at the LOS. I could argue that he may have less success. That broncos team probably doesn't even make the superbowl if not for manning.

Yeah manning has struggled, but he's also had a bunch of success and against some good defensive teams...good defensive coaches.

But like I said...I'd love to have those kinds of struggles on a yearly basis.

Besides, I think it's more about great defense mostly trumping great offense than it is about manning having too much control. That's not just a manning thing.
xtruroyaltyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014   #207
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 120522 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I don't really agree with your manning premise, but there is a lot of gray area. It's not just about what an OC calls during a game. The prep during the week...over the course of the year...over the course of a career.

Almost every qb has some struggles at some point. I don't know that manning has more success with less control at the LOS. I could argue that he may have less success. That broncos team doesn't even make the superbowl if not for manning.

Yeah manning has struggled, but he's also had a bunch of success and against some good defensive teams...good defensive coaches.

Besides, I think it's more about great defense mostly trumping great offense than it is about manning having too much control. That's not just a manning thing.
fify
Old 05-31-2014   #208
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 8295 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
June 2, 3, 5, 9, 10, 12, 13
Thanks! Gonna be interesting.
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014   #209
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 8295 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

I remember going to a pre-season game back when there was AFL/NFL and the Colts were the class of the NFL and they came to Houston to play. Unitas played a little in the first half and then they took him out. Late in the 4th the Oilers were ahead by less than a TD. Everybody was excited that the AFL Oilers were going to beat the class of the NFL! The Colts got the ball with less than 2 minutes to go and they put Unitas in the game and it was all over baby! He took them down the field like taking candy from a baby. Yes, it was pre-season but you could just see that Unitas was truly a master and one of the greatest.
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014   #210
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
fat fingers on an iphone.
That's the exact reason I keep mine restricted to a keyboard. That and I don't want a phone smarter than me. I'm still rolling my old flipper, she's a trooper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I have no idea what I was saying either.
Allrightythen. I feel better now....

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014   #211
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Section: 521
Rep Power: 74770 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected

Shooting the Bull: First week of OTAs

http://www.csnhouston.com/football-h...irst-week-otas

"hands on teaching style"

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014   #212
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

Great pic

Those were the days that the QB was the toughest guy on the team and had the most responsibility.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014   #213
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:

Almost every qb has some struggles at some point. I don't know that manning has more success with less control at the LOS. I could argue that he may have less success. That broncos team probably doesn't even make the superbowl if not for manning.

I never said he wasn't a great qb, I just said he's been avg to below in playoffs. He's .500 in the playoffs and a lot of those games he didn't play well. Last yr,if not for holiday,they weren't even in that game offensively. Think about all the one and outs with homefield advantage. Let me get back on track about the kubes bashing and so called lack of control.

If its 2nd and 7 and kubes calls a zone stretch right,but the defense flashes an 8th guy,is that a dead play? A lot of qbs want to say and we see guys audible out. If you look at nfl and I know you do,most long run come vs 8 man boxes. So the built in audible might be to flip it depending on the safety. Ultimately and most successful offenses, the plays look the same the action on the stretch looks the same as the action for the deep in to andre. The 1 false step creates the hole. If the qb doesn't run the setup plays, it makes it very,very difficult to play well vs good defenses. Romo had control, he audibled vs jets and threw a pick. Having some rigidness and principles isn't a bad thing. Again, manning really only runs the ball vs 6 man boxes. 1st play of superbowl,audibles,hands and arms,ball goes over his head. What was so wrong the 1st play the oc installed 2 weeks ago.
Old 05-31-2014   #214
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 137288 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I never said he wasn't a great qb, I just said he's been avg to below in playoffs. He's .500 in the playoffs and a lot of those games he didn't play well. Last yr,if not for holiday,they weren't even in that game offensively. Think about all the one and outs with homefield advantage. Let me get back on track about the kubes bashing and so called lack of control.

If its 2nd and 7 and kubes calls a zone stretch right,but the defense flashes an 8th guy,is that a dead play? A lot of qbs want to say and we see guys audible out. If you look at nfl and I know you do,most long run come vs 8 man boxes. So the built in audible might be to flip it depending on the safety. Ultimately and most successful offenses, the plays look the same the action on the stretch looks the same as the action for the deep in to andre. The 1 false step creates the hole. If the qb doesn't run the setup plays, it makes it very,very difficult to play well vs good defenses. Romo had control, he audibled vs jets and threw a pick. Having some rigidness and principles isn't a bad thing. Again, manning really only runs the ball vs 6 man boxes. 1st play of superbowl,audibles,hands and arms,ball goes over his head. What was so wrong the 1st play the oc installed 2 weeks ago.

Like I said, there is a lot of gray area. I disagree that the reason manning has had some struggles in the play offs is because he has so much control. The OC goes into it knowing what manning is going to do. If he makes a bad adjustment, that's on the OC to get with him and let him know what he should have done.

They install a game plan during the week. Unless manning is going out there and scrapping the game plan and going rogue then I don't think it's manning vs the OC. A lot if the adjustments he makes, I'm sure the OC is in the same page.

Like I said, qb's struggle. I disagree that any struggles manning have had are because he has too much control.

And you're giving me his record, but it's a team game. Did their offense play well in some of those games but they still lost? I'm sure of it.

We can just agree to disagree. No biggie.
Old 06-02-2014   #215
AndyWin
Nguyenning

Rep Power: 15483 AndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respected

Is it worth it to go to OTAs as a fan? If so, are there tickets?
AndyWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014   #216
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Training camp.

And yes, if you can go and can stand the large crowds that show up now it's a cool experience.

I've gone in the past without showing a ticket, but I wouldn't chance it now seeing as how packed they have become.

I remember going a few years ago, arriving late, and having no trouble finding a spot on the bleachers. Good luck with that now.
Old 06-02-2014   #217
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWin View Post
Is it worth it to go to OTAs as a fan? If so, are there tickets?
I went once last year with my daughter and her best friend and none of us liked it. The crowds are huge so good luck being able to actually see anything, and it's extremely hot and humid even early in the morning so your going to be sweating alot. Unless your 6'06" and can see over everyone else, your view will be the back of someone else's sweaty head unless your very quick and lucky enough to get a fence spot.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014   #218
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Training camp.

And yes, if you can go and can stand the large crowds that show up now it's a cool experience.

I've gone in the past without showing a ticket, but I wouldn't chance it now seeing as how packed they have become.

I remember going a few years ago, arriving late, and having no trouble finding a spot on the bleachers. Good luck with that now.
Yup, the crowds are ridiculous. I went darn near every year up until '12. After the 1st playoff run it got bad. I went once in '12 and said never again. They should move open practices into the stadium or something
Old 06-02-2014   #219
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Yup, the crowds are ridiculous. I went darn near every year up until '12. After the 1st playoff run it got bad. I went once in '12 and said never again. They should move open practices into the stadium or something
That would be cool.

I don't think I've been back since '12 either.

I'm glad that their is more support for the team....But I miss the old days when you could go and actually move around a little.

Last time I went it was ridiculous...But I did still enjoy seeing the guys work up close....

I would definitely go back if it weren't so crowded these days.
Old 06-02-2014   #220
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Since we were an abject failure last season - and we didn't draft Johnny Football - I wonder if the crowds will really be so bad this time around....

Since we sucked, maybe all the bandwagoners will stay home.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read