Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-30-2014   #181
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 136056 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans 2014 OTAs begin May 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
Nice quote in the Chronicle this morning by T.J. : "It's an awesome offense. The quarterback is in complete control of everything. We're setting the protection. We're setting the fronts, getting guys in the right places. It lets you be the leader out there - that's for sure. You have lots of freedom, lots of options."
I think with the way football has evolved on the NFL level, you almost have to give your QB's some of that freedom that the current QB's are describing.

Depending on who's under center and how much they can handle....How much the coach wants to give them...But I think the goal should be to put more on their plate...Not limit it.
xtruroyaltyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014   #182
qqert
All Pro

Rep Power: 22045 qqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respected

segways for sale

qqert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014   #183
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 126475 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

LMAO that is a joke but it is funny as hell
Old 05-30-2014   #184
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
If that's what you thought people were saying, then you were misunderstanding the whole concept.

In Kubiak's offense, you don't have complete freedom as a QB. What you have are options that are supposed to counter whatever the defense was doing. Most of the thinking was on the QB and the receivers didn't have to make a lot of reads (although they did adjust their routes according to some reads). If the defense was going to do X, then the QB had to read that and go to this receiver but if the defense was going to do Y, then the QB had to read that and go to this other receiver. At the line of scrimmage, the QB could make a read and shift to one or two other options.

It was NOT complete freedom and I don't believe anyone ever argued that it was.

In this offense, the QB can make the read and if he sees a matchup he likes, he can make a specific call for a specific receiver. Or he can change a whole group of receivers' routes by calling a package on one side or the other.

This way allows the QB much more freedom. But it's still different from some other approaches where the coaches send in a package and the QB has a palette of options based off of it or even access to the whole playbook.
Actually, this line is wrong. My bad.

This offense doesn't call out specific receivers and tell them the route. The QB will have to make a call out to change what all the receivers on that side are going to do. At least, that's what I got from the "concepts" concept.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014   #185
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 267323 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Some more about the special footballs the RBs are using that I mentioned earlier.

Quote:
RBs using blue-sleeved footballs

Ball security is top priority for the Texans running backs, especially with the new blue sleeves covering each football. Second-year back Dennis Johnson, using this tactic for the first time, described the blue fabric as “slippery.”

“That will help you hold onto the ball,” Johnson said. “It will help you think about it more.”

The silky covering makes the ball harder to grip and players must concentrate on keeping the ball locked in while they run. This week, the running backs used this exercise during individual drills in OTAs. To further reinforce this lesson, players who drop the ball will take an extra lap around the field.

Other NFL teams have also been incorporating the slippery sleeves in OTAs to practice ball security.
VIDEOS in link
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014   #186
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
I believe it's going to be fast paced.

I think Keenum excels in that kind of offense where he doesn't have to hold onto the ball.

I think it's tailor made for him because I think he excels moving at a faster pace, getting the ball out quick and making pre snap reads. I think Case is smart and will perform better with more freedom to take advantage of things he sees.

I don't know much about Fitz...I haven't seen Yates do it much and Savage is pretty unknown to me....

I've seen a lot of Case playing football though and I believe this offensive style suits him well.

Doesn't mean I think he'll succeed. Just because you are in a scheme that fits you doesn't mean you're good enough.
I agree with this.

That uptempo style fits very well with Case since he's used to it at UH.

Yates operated an exact copy of Kubiak 's WCO in college.

Fitzpatrick probably have seen his shares through the year.

I also agree that it does 5 mean Keenum still has to play quite better than last year to win the j9b.
I think he can, but be might not give me the results I like to see.

I think the Texans can make the playoffs with Fitz.
If Savage can keep improving on his game, it wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit.

I'd rather not see the Texans draft another QB any time soon.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014   #187
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
What stands out to me is the system gets the ball out of QB's hands into play makers'. Reminds me of the football we played before and after school in Junior high. Bunch of kids lining up either side of ball and just letting go. Blocking was minimal so QB had to pass quickly. No running game allowed though; made it interesting.

My concern is that the "play maker" has to get free and then catch the ball. We should be good with AJ, Hopkins and the TEs.
Out quick=shorter routes. What playmakers are you talking about? People can blow up the concept of offense all they want, but I bet you will see a better flacco than we've ever seen. If kubes can turn schaub into a probowl caliber qb, flacco will be even higher. Not only that, the ravens off will look much different than texans. Flacco routes will look alot different thanbthe routes schaub could disply.

Im not hating on OB and the qbs bashing the kubiak offense,im just saying to his fault,kubes shouldve drafted a qb capable of running his whole playbook. OB offense had success for the same reason mcdaniels offense and weiss offense had succes,brady. Kubes and his simpleton offense turned plummer,, griese,and schaub into pro bowlers. I wont even bring elway into the discussion. Ask elway, and he managed to make plays and win big without the so called freedoms everyone is ramping up.
Old 05-30-2014   #188
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Out quick=shorter routes. What playmakers are you talking about? People can blow up the concept of offense all they want, but I bet you will see a better flacco than we've ever seen. If kubes can turn schaub into a probowl caliber qb, flacco will be even higher. Not only that, the ravens off will look much different than texans. Flacco routes will look alot different thanbthe routes schaub could disply.

Im not hating on OB and the qbs bashing the kubiak offense,im just saying to his fault,kubes shouldve drafted a qb capable of running his whole playbook. OB offense had success for the same reason mcdaniels offense and weiss offense had succes,brady. Kubes and his simpleton offense turned plummer,, griese,and schaub into pro bowlers. I wont even bring elway into the discussion. Ask elway, and he managed to make plays and win big without the so called freedoms everyone is ramping up.
Yes, but Elway had Terrell Davis.
Old 05-30-2014   #189
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I agree with this.

That uptempo style fits very well with Case since he's used to it at UH.

Yates operated an exact copy of Kubiak 's WCO in college.

Fitzpatrick probably have seen his shares through the year.

I also agree that it does 5 mean Keenum still has to play quite better than last year to win the j9b.
I think he can, but be might not give me the results I like to see.

I think the Texans can make the playoffs with Fitz.
If Savage can keep improving on his game, it wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit.

I'd rather not see the Texans draft another QB any time soon.
Other than being blinded by texans fandom, what gives you the idea the texans can make the playoffs with fitz? Titans had as much talent as texans this year and played like a playoff team with locker in. Locker goes out, in comes fitz and he started playing double agent again. Fitz is garbage and has been. Id rather see any of the others before fitz. If its close,might as well throw savage in and get the pains out the way. Meanwhile, colts guy is getting better and adding distance between them and rest of the division. Sounds familiar?
Old 05-30-2014   #190
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Other than being blinded by texans fandom, what gives you the idea the texans can make the playoffs with fitz? Titans had as much talent as texans this year and played like a playoff team with locker in. Locker goes out, in comes fitz and he started playing double agent again. Fitz is garbage and has been. Id rather see any of the others before fitz. If its close,might as well throw savage in and get the pains out the way. Meanwhile, colts guy is getting better and adding distance between them and rest of the division. Sounds familiar?
Because the Texans defense is supposed to be very good and the schedule is light.
We have 3 running backs that are capable.
Our Line wasn't terrible in the running game if we only had the RBS healthy.
Brooks, Jones, and Newton have another year under their belt.

Newton is supposed to be healthy, and if somebody beats him out, it can only be better.

We have more options in the return game.
With more team speed, the ST coverage should improve.

More experiences and ability in offensive weapons, to name a few reasons.
Old 05-30-2014   #191
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It seems the one receiver that has drawn specific praise from OB has been DeVier Posey, who was singled out as having made a good impression this first week.
good to hear as he needs to have good preseason imo
Old 05-30-2014   #192
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
It seems the one receiver that has drawn specific praise from OB has been DeVier Posey, who was singled out as having made a good impression this first week.
Good to hear.
We sure can use his speed.
Old 05-30-2014   #193
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Who was davis before elway and after elway? Im saying, until he proved it, davis didnt see 8 man boxes. Even after he proved it, he still didnt see 8 man boxes with sharpe,smith,and mccaffrey on the field. Elway took scrubs to the sb 3 times prior. No doubt having a runngame late in his career,but elway was the engine. The point I was making is kubes/shanny rigid structure has proven to work on every level. As I said, plummer,griese,and schaub had pro bowl years under this structure. OB has done nothing without brady. Mcdaniels was supposed to be a offensive guru also,but what happened without brady?
Old 05-30-2014   #194
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Who was davis before elway and after elway? Im saying, until he proved it, davis didnt see 8 man boxes. Even after he proved it, he still didnt see 8 man boxes with sharpe,smith,and mccaffrey on the field. Elway took scrubs to the sb 3 times prior. No doubt having a runngame late in his career,but elway was the engine. The point I was making is kubes/shanny rigid structure has proven to work on every level. As I said, plummer,griese,and schaub had pro bowl years under this structure. OB has done nothing without brady. Mcdaniels was supposed to be a offensive guru also,but what happened without brady?
I did say yes earlier.
I only added "but".

Look at Davis' numbers during their 2 SB playoffs march.
There's no way defense didn't try to stop him.
Old 05-30-2014   #195
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Elway was a HoF QB without Davis. Davis helped the team get over the SB hump.
Old 05-30-2014   #196
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Ask elway, and he managed to make plays and win big without the so called freedoms everyone is ramping up.
Agreed. We've seen Kubiak's offense put up some big numbers without elite talent (when Andre was hurt & we had no running game).

Put an elite QB in Kubiak's system, someone with elite talent (I think Schaub had an elite football mind) & it's better than most.
Old 05-30-2014   #197
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
I think with the way football has evolved on the NFL level, you almost have to give your QB's some of that freedom that the current QB's are describing.

Depending on who's under center and how much they can handle....How much the coach wants to give them...But I think the goal should be to put more on their plate...Not limit it.
Yeah, I've been thinking about that for a while. Wondering how well that's gonna float in Balty.

Guess we'll find out in a few months.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014   #198
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Whut?

Came up empty.

So, whut??

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014   #199
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 8295 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

So when is the next round of OTAs scheduled?
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014   #200
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogmrb View Post
So when is the next round of OTAs scheduled?
June 2, 3, 5, 9, 10, 12, 13
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read