Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Prediction Special

How many wins in 2014?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
The evidence is in, so what will the season be like? My answer: We're a heck of a lot better than 2-14, but it isn't going to happen all at once. Your answer? Your opinion on football deserves respect even from those who disagree.

I think they're surprisingly better so I go with 9-7 . Maybe I am smoking crack but I refuse to be negative starting over . If Carr was at QB or the old regime at the helm , I'd say 4-12 .

The Texans ranked 7th and 11th last year on offense and defense . They have some talent , they need a plan . Adding this group of rookies to that bunch along with an easy schedule , it could be a quick turn around . I know QB is an issue but defense and running the ball can get you far .

Offensive Line should be much improved with X and Brooks getting a season under his massive belt . Right Tackle is the only question mark but with a big corn fed blocking TE to help , maybe not as much .

On defense the line is bigger and stronger . With Nix and Pagan , you add a 330 lb NG and a 310 lb DE . That's about 50 lbs more than Mitchell and Smith . Now add Powe and Ricardo Mathews for competition and depth . Last year a team inside the 20 was almost assured to score , maybe these guys are more than speed bumps .

Clowney should give JJ a much needed partner in crime in the pass rush and a healthy Cushing should give a boost . Now you have Mercilus , Reed , Bullough , Mohamed , Sapp , and Tarpanian fighting for the other two linebacker positions .

Special teams .

They brought in the Rice kicker to compete with Fat Randy and 6'3 218 lb 4.4 safety as Mr Irrelevant . They needed to get faster as a team

Last edited:
I'm back into my 2010-season mode of thinking: if I expect the worst to happen, I can never be disappointed, only pleasantly surprised. Forgive me?

We were a lot better last season than 2-14. We lost many games by fewer than 7 points, our Kicker cost us some games, we`ve had many injuries and our main QB imploded. That being said, I don`t see us making the playoffs this year. New coaches all over the field and still a big questionmark at QB. I think the team needs to find itself first, see if we have anyone that seperates himself at QB and then attack.

But I also think we have a pretty good core. Insert any of the top QBs of the leagues and we`d be title contenders. So it all comes down to:

1. How fast can the coaches implement their new systems
2. Do we have a capeable QB on the roster.

In the end I went with 6-7 wins.

I voted 8-9 because I think OB will have them playing old school smash mouth football. The defense will be improved but its the offense that remains the biggest unknown right now. They pretty much have to play the smash mouth type of football due to the qb situation but given time I believe Savage can be something special. With Ryan Fitzpatrick at the helm OB needs to have an offense that will give Fitz a lot of high completion chances. His biggest problem has been completion %. He passed for 3000 yards or more for 3 straight years in Buffalo with the highest completion % being 62.0 which remains his highest to date. It will be interesting and exciting to watch a new culture emerge out of the ashes of the Kubiak era. :koolaid:

I'll be happily surprised if we don't suffer a key injury and better the 4-7 wins I think we'll end up with due to depth concerns.

New coaches, new schemes... I think the culture change will become fully ingrained/evident a year from the start of 2014 training camp.

As bad as some think they were last year, like they were some bumbling, stumbling Tampa Bay team from the 70's, the bad play at QB, the turnovers, pick 6's, an NFL record low for turnovers forced, missed FG's.......they still lost NINE games by just one score, and FIVE of those were by 3 points or less.

Cut into that -20 turnover ratio, get improved play at QB (notice I didn't say they needed a HOFer back there), get a kicker that doesn't miss 3 FGs per game, and of course, get a little luck on the injury front, and this is a team that can be right back in the playoff hunt. They weren't that bad of a team last year, they just made too many mistakes, missed too many plays that could have gotten them that one score in those 9 games.

Not going to give a win total prediction because it's such a fine line in the NFL between a 5, 6 win team and a 10, 11 win team. I'll just say that they will be a playoff contender THIS season.

At this point, the offseason koolaid is starting to kick in and I want to put down 19-0.

But I'm trying to hold back my natural enthusiasm. After a 2-14 season and a change at the HC spot, I'm going to go in expecting 6 wins. Anything less than that will be disappointment and anything more will be gravy.

As soon as the season starts, I'll be expecting to win every game and every loss will crush my soul.

But that's just how I roll.

:trophy::wherewill:texan:

UJDa52Q.jpg

I'm gonna roll the dice along with SI and have the Texans making the playoffs with nine or ten wins.

http://m.si.com/4220125/which-new-coaching-hires-will-lead-teams-to-playoffs-in-their-first-year/

Also, Vegas early odds has us right in the middle of the pack; however, it also scores our schedule as not too difficult.

We only play five games against teams with higher odds
(Eagles, Bengals, Steelers, and Colts twice).
3 of those games will be at home.
We need to win at least one of those.

Three teams with the same odds
(@Giants, @Cowboys, Ravens at home. )
We need to win one of those.

That's six losses.

Here's hoping for nine or ten wins.:d:

I'm going with 7 W's.

Three wins against the divisional scrubs(Tinbreds & Jax).

Three wins out of the following games against teams who all finished below .500 last season - Redskins , Bills , Raiders , Browns & Giants.

One win against the teams who finished at .500 last season - Baltimore , Pittsburgh & Dallas.

No wins against teams who finished .500 or better last season - Indy , Philly & Cincy.

I'm gonna roll the dice along with SI and have the Texans making the playoffs with nine or ten wins.

http://m.si.com/4220125/which-new-coaching-hires-will-lead-teams-to-playoffs-in-their-first-year/

Also, Vegas early odds has us right in the middle of the pack; however, it also scores our schedule as not too difficult.

We only play five games against teams with higher odds
(Eagles, Bengals, Steelers, and Colts twice).
3 of those games will be at home.
We need to win at least one of those.

Three teams with the same odds
(@Giants, @Cowboys, Ravens at home. )
We need to win one of those.

That's six losses.

Here's hoping for nine or ten wins.:d:

I just put some koolaid money on the Texans to win it all 40/1!!!!

i love all the positivness around post draft. We had a very good draft. We now have that big NT we have all wanted, we have a few upgrades on the oline. This is the most positive i have felt about the texans since 2011. I think we have a lot more talent than people are giving us credit for.

And i love the Tom Savage pick, i think this kid could be something great for us. And i think AJ will see that sooner than later.

I believe we have a good shot to make a lot of noise next season for sure.

i love all the positivness around post draft. We had a very good draft. We now have that big NT we have all wanted, we have a few upgrades on the oline. This is the most positive i have felt about the texans since 2011. I think we have a lot more talent than people are giving us credit for.

And i love the Tom Savage pick, i think this kid could be something great for us. And i think AJ will see that sooner than later.

I believe we have a good shot to make a lot of noise next season for sure.

" DONT FORGET ABOUT DRE" should be this years motto

I think we are substantially better than we are last year in every department. Offense, defense, special teams..... and most importantly coaching. We were definitely not a 2-14 team last year and I think we will show that this year with a totally different philosophy. All in all I believe we go 10-6 and slide into that wildcard slot.

BOY THIS KOOL AID SURE TASTES GOOD

I think the roster is headed in the right direction but will need another year to complete. Although there's talent on the team, we still lack depth in several areas and other teams aren't rebuilding like we are. I see going 6-10.

good coaching and good draft picks and injured players returning do not always equal wins. On the other side of the LOS is another team. We might be better but so might the opponent. It could take longer than a training camp and 4 preseason games to develop new guys. I want to see improved players and I should.

I think they'll win 7 or 8 games this season. If I had to pick which side of that they'll fall on in this poll, I'll go with 8 or 9. I'm positive they're going to win more than 6 games and if a little luck goes their way, I wouldn't at all be surprised by a 9-7 season.

This team will struggle to score a lot of points. But, it won't average 17 ppg as last season. The '13 Texans O was 11th yards and 31st in scoring. That won't happen again.

On the flip side, this defense will be tough to score on. Again, we're talking about a defense that was 7th in yards allowed. And this team has more talent. And there is no way this defense comes up with only 7 picks for the entire season. Looking at the schedule, they should have that beat by week 4.

No Coach Joe special teams, +1 win.

No Kubes coaching not to lose, +1 win.

I see a .500 team that catches a couple of breaks, and makes a couple of their own. 10-6 and an AFC South crown. Clowney ROY. O'Brien COY.

This is a much less painful rebuild than 2006. I expect them to win 6-7 games and they have potential to win 8-9 depending on how the QB trainwreck goes.

6-10 +/- 2: So anywhere from 4-12 to 8-8. Would help if any one of the Texans' QBs went on a hot winning streak. Other thoughts and predictions concerning the upcoming season include:

A split at best against the Titans and Jags. Guaranteed losses against the Colts.

Will likely be either 1-3 or 0-4 against the NFC East. Almost guaranteed losses against NY Giants and Eagles.

2-2 at best against the AFC North, and if that is the case the 2 wins will be against the Ohio teams. Losses to Steelers and Ravens guaranteed.

Guaranteed loss against the Raiders if Schaub is not their starting QB. 50/50 if he is their starting QB.

:fans:

This is a much less painful rebuild than 2006. I expect them to win 6-7 games and they have potential to win 8-9 depending on how the QB trainwreck goes.

This is where I'm at .... the train wreck we expect at QB cant be a train wreck & the defense has to play to the level of its talent which on paper is loaded with talent save for the ass end & 3rd corner.

They don't play any of the big boys this year ..... and only have 4 games on the schedule with teams who finished last season above .500 and those teams are all in the second tier as far as recent success.

They go into any game on the schedule thinking they can win it .... No Patriots , Bronco's , Aints or 49ers team that we look at and mark as a L the day the schedule came out.

I just put some koolaid money on the Texans to win it all 40/1!!!!
Don't I wish! I think we could climb back into the playoffs in a couple of years.
But winning a SB is many years down the road.

A group researching the nationwide sex market concluded that there's no place like Houston for actually getting what you think you're paying for. Great, but Houston is also not a place for professional sports championships. The town doesn't have that personality.

This team will struggle to score a lot of points. But, it won't average 17 ppg as last season. The '13 Texans O was 11th yards and 31st in scoring. That won't happen again.

On the flip side, this defense will be tough to score on. Again, we're talking about a defense that was 7th in yards allowed. And this team has more talent. And there is no way this defense comes up with only 7 picks for the entire season. Looking at the schedule, they should have that beat by week 4.

No Coach Joe special teams, +1 win.

No Kubes coaching not to lose, +1 win.

I see a .500 team that catches a couple of breaks, and makes a couple of their own. 10-6 and an AFC South crown. Clowney ROY. O'Brien COY.

Very pleased to see that among the posters who have voted so far, the two who have my most respect --- you and Hervoyel -- are predicting a complete turnaround. I tend to agree. I think an 8-8 result is very likely and thinking 9 or 10 wins is possible isn't crazy.

I stand alone at 12-13 wins.

That old saying, "You are what your record says you are." I don't believe that. We weren't that 12-4 team in 2012 & we weren't that 2-14 team in 2013. We were somewhere in between.

I think we are better than every team on our schedule for 2014 & we're going to play like it. We're going to stumble & bumble our way to a 12-4 record because the teams we're going to play will also be stumbling & bumbling their way through the season trying to figure out who they are.

Brian Cushing, Jj Watt... they know who they are. Kj, Jjo, & Swag are going to help drag the newbies up to speed. We've got standards for how to play defense in Houston. We've got to prove to the world that what they saw last year was the anomaly, not the norm.

Offensively, the same thing. We've got Brown, Aj, & Arian. We expect excellence. They're going to prove the cancer's been cut out & moved on.

The Texans will expect to win that first game, they're going to win that first game & the rest of the season is going to snowball into a 12/13 win season.

& don't get me started about the play offs.

Just some crap I read on the internets
The Texans made a mistake firing Gary Kubiak and will suffer from that mistake in 2014. The talent is there, but will it be enough?

With that said, the road to .500 is not impossible given how kind the Texans regular season schedule is. With matchups against equally dysfunctional teams like the Washington Redskins, Buffalo Bills, Oakland Raiders, Cleveland Browns, and the Tennessee Titans and Jacksonville Jaguars twice, the road to .500 is not as daunting as it could have been.

Projected Record: 5-11

This from better internets

Many will say: “From worst to first! Impossible.”

All the changes made by the Texans in the off season were positive. In 2000 the Baltimore Ravens won a Super Bowl with very little offense. Their defense controlled their opponents, allowing only 165 points. They had a 12-4 record, winning the Super Bowl 34-7. I expect similar results in 2014 from the Texans.

The way it looks today, we've got a super soft schedule... often doesn't turn out that way in reality. The problem is, I have absolutely no idea what this team's identity is yet. We may have a decent defense, but I'm nervous about secondary and ILB. O_line looks better, but WR suddenly looks very thin without 80. RB is a mystery with foster coming off injury and a lot of miles on him now. And most importantly, QB is an absolute lottery. My best prediction at this point is somewhere from 6-10 to 10-6.

6 or 7 seems most logical to me, although I'm tempted to choose 8 or 9 but with our QB this season, I view that as a slight stretch. My glass is sort of half filled. All depends on how you want to look at it.

Glass full -

I think this coaching staff is better especially at the HC position.

We've added talent to the front 7 and could be dominant in that area.

QB will produce fewer TO's. Has to right?

No reason to think Foster and the running game can't be back to their glory years with the addition of Oline help, a good yound FB and blocking TE

Ground and pound, and get after the QB on D combined with a pretty weak schedule and who knows. Could be playoffs.

The ST has to be better. Why? Just because ok. And coach Joe is gone. Dig it?

I see 10 or 11 wins here. Whoo hoo!

Glass nearly empty -

New coaching staff teaching new Offense, new Defense etc. Probably will take a year to gel on both sides. And the HC is a hard ass who if he is not careful will lose the team with all this no fun league nonsense like not putting logo's on the helmet. Who is this nut case anyway?

QB is a disaster. Don't care how you spell it, just put disaster as the last name on 4 jersey's and toss them in the air. This is a passing league now. The Texans will be a square peg in a round hole.

Ya, we've added talent in the front 7. We've also lost talent. A. Smith et al. So, replacing one for the other is supposed to be an improvement? Tell me another one.

And Clowney is a rookie. So, ya. Don't expect too much from him. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Injuries. Guys like Cushing are just injury prone and this team has the worst luck. What you see now won't be what we roll with as the season progresses.

Foster is done. If he even manages to survive without going back on IR. The only thing he is good for now is stud services. Oh and who is his backup? Tate is in Cleveland. And RT? Ummm, anyone? McFly?

No running game, with a weak QB won't sustain drives, won't score and will make the D play too much making them ineffective. And all that scary QB chasing stuff - doesn't matter so much when the other team has constant leads. They will be very happy to grind out wins on the ground and play it safe through the air. Clowney will be a non-factor because his team will be playing from behind all freaking season long.

And sure coach Joe is gone. But we still have nobody to return kicks that is worth a damn. And speaking of kicker....umm let's not.

So ya, this is another putrid season coming up. I'll be nice and say 4 or 5 wins just because we play the little sisters of the poor.

6 or 7 seems most logical to me, although I'm tempted to choose 8 or 9 but with our QB this season, I view that as a slight stretch. My glass is sort of half filled. All depends on how you want to look at it.

Glass full -

I think this coaching staff is better especially at the HC position.

We've added talent to the front 7 and could be dominant in that area.

QB will produce fewer TO's. Has to right?

No reason to think Foster and the running game can't be back to their glory years with the addition of Oline help, a good yound FB and blocking TE

Ground and pound, and get after the QB on D combined with a pretty weak schedule and who knows. Could be playoffs.

The ST has to be better. Why? Just because ok. And coach Joe is gone. Dig it?

I see 10 or 11 wins here. Whoo hoo!

Glass nearly empty -

New coaching staff teaching new Offense, new Defense etc. Probably will take a year to gel on both sides. And the HC is a hard ass who if he is not careful will lose the team with all this no fun league nonsense like not putting logo's on the helmet. Who is this nut case anyway?

QB is a disaster. Don't care how you spell it, just put disaster as the last name on 4 jersey's and toss them in the air. This is a passing league now. The Texans will be a square peg in a round hole.

Ya, we've added talent in the front 7. We've also lost talent. A. Smith et al. So, replacing one for the other is supposed to be an improvement? Tell me another one.

And Clowney is a rookie. So, ya. Don't expect too much from him. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Injuries. Guys like Cushing are just injury prone and this team has the worst luck. What you see now won't be what we roll with as the season progresses.

Foster is done. If he even manages to survive without going back on IR. The only thing he is good for now is stud services. Oh and who is his backup? Tate is in Cleveland. And RT? Ummm, anyone? McFly?

No running game, with a weak QB won't sustain drives, won't score and will make the D play too much making them ineffective. And all that scary QB chasing stuff - doesn't matter so much when the other team has constant leads. They will be very happy to grind out wins on the ground and play it safe through the air. Clowney will be a non-factor because his team will be playing from behind all freaking season long.

And sure coach Joe is gone. But we still have nobody to return kicks that is worth a damn. And speaking of kicker....umm let's not.

So ya, this is another putrid season coming up. I'll be nice and say 4 or 5 wins just because we play the little sisters of the poor.

Talk about Jekyle and Hyde you just confused the F out of me :mcnugget:

ill wait till obrien makes a decision on who the starting qb is.

if its fitzpatrick put me down for 4 wins.
if its keenum put me down for 10 wins
if its yates put me down for 5 wins.
if its savage put me down for 8 wins minus 2 for the early balding.

ill wait till obrien makes a decision on who the starting qb is.

if its fitzpatrick put me down for 4 wins.
if its keenum put me down for 10 wins
if its yates put me down for 5 wins.
if its savage put me down for 8 wins minus 2 for the early balding.

So Keenum is worth +6 wins in your eyes?

How about one win. Do you think he could manage that? :kitten:

Where the hell to you people come from? Certainly not from the recent past.

I'll be happily surprised if we don't suffer a key injury and better the 4-7 wins I think we'll end up with due to depth concerns.

New coaches, new schemes... I think the culture change will become fully ingrained/evident a year from the start of 2014 training camp.
Here is a good point brought up by one of the most respected members of the board. We know to a certainty that Cushing will be lost to injury, and there will probably be other key casualties. Coupled with a lack of good depth at some positions, that's one reason to expect the season not to be much better than average.

How do you calculate hope?

Yes, hope was hard to define and impossible to quantify... until now! The Mandatory Monday team is not afraid to put a number on hope and rank all 32 teams on hopefulness. It's that or work hard on Memorial Day weekend, so both the decision and math were easy.

"Hope" does not mean hope for a 2014 Super Bowl, but hope for a brighter future. Teams at the top of the list are either headed in the right direction, have already arrived there, or have beachfront summer homes in "right direction." Teams in the middle have at least installed the GPS and packed their bags. Teams at the bottom are not expected to win now and would have a hard time convincing anyone that they are poised to win later.

7) Houston Texans: 16.5

Shocked? Let's crunch the numbers. The Texans had three winning seasons in the past five years, nine 2012 Pro Bowlers (worth 4.5 points), and rang all the bells for new coaches, quarterbacks, regimes (general manager Rick Smith is still in place, but Bill O'Brien clearly carries a ton of clout), and the first pick in the draft. In other words, the system spots a team that had strong infrastructure through 2012, collapsed suddenly, and is now back with new leadership and an influx of young talented. Granted, there is no "dissatisfied Andre Johnson" variable or Ryan Fitzpatrick restrictor plate on quarterback enthusiasm, but you don't have to be a Texans diehard to see the possibility of a quick 2014 turnaround, plus sunny skies beyond.​

Here's another one, Football Outsiders early look (subject to change).

AFC South
Indianapolis Colts: 10-6 (9.7 mean wins; SOS: 29)
Tennessee Titans: 8-8 (8.2 mean wins; SOS: 31)

Houston Texans: 8-8 (7.6 mean wins; SOS: 32)
Jacksonville Jaguars: 6-10 (5.9 mean wins; SOS: 27)
This is getting to be the story of the Colts: excellent quarterback leads mediocre team to 10 wins thanks to easy schedule. Then again, the whole division gets the benefit of easy schedules, thanks mostly to playing each other but also because they miss both western divisions in the rotating interdivisional format. In addition, the Colts were second in adjusted games lost behind the Giants last season, so they should be healthier (and thus better) in 2014. Losing Robert Mathis for the first four games could hurt a bit, though.

The Texans are in line for a big improvement thanks to both normal old regression toward the mean and the Plexiglass Principle, which says that teams that decline significantly tend to rebound the next year. Football Outsiders DVOA had Houston 16th on offense and fourth on defense in 2012; last year, the Texans were 29th on offense and 18th on defense. Unfortunately, the defensive rebound (including the addition of No. 1 overall draft pick Jadeveon Clowney) is probably not going to be enough to get them back into the playoffs, even with the easiest schedule in the league, because the quarterback situation makes the offensive rebound a big question mark.

The Titans are another one of those teams that seems to hover around 8-8 every single year, and the Jaguars are still working on rebuilding after cleaning up Gene Smith's mess.

Fitzpatrick led the Bills to a 6-10 record in 3 of 4 seasons with Dick Jauron and Chan Gailey as HC.
I think he can lead this team to 8-8 if he starts all year. If he is beaten out by a better QB, I think the record could be as high as 9-7.

Fitzpatrick led the Bills to a 6-10 record in 3 of 4 seasons with Dick Jauron and Chan Gailey as HC.
I think he can lead this team to 8-8 if he starts all year. If he is beaten out by a better QB, I think the record could be as high as 9-7.

6-10 with the Bills, but how much talent WAS REALLY on those teams, compared to this teams talent

Last edited:
6-10 with the Bills, but how much talent WAS REALLY on those teams, compared to this teams talent

A very average defense talent and production wise, and an offense that had little in terms of weapons other than Stevie Johnson who is just decent, and a good pair of RBs.

It seems our talent is much stronger than that, but it's tough to say anything for sure after 2-14.

4-6 wins. I think QBs hold us back this year and put us in the hunt for one of the top QBs in next years draft class.

4-6 wins. I think QBs hold us back this year and put us in the hunt for one of the top QBs in next years draft class.

OB should be fired if he goes 4-12 against the likes of the Buffalo Bills, Cleveland Browns, Dallas Cowboys, & Jacksonville Jaguars.

11 games against teams that haven't put together winning seasons in the last five years.

If we go 4-12 in 2014, Bob needs to clean house right this time. Everybody from Cal down, gone. Yes Cal down.

OB should be fired if he goes 4-12 against the likes of the Buffalo Bills, Cleveland Browns, Dallas Cowboys, & Jacksonville Jaguars.

11 games against teams that haven't put together winning seasons in the last five years.

If we go 4-12 in 2014, Bob needs to clean house right this time. Everybody from Cal down, gone. Yes Cal down.

Wow i dont really agree with that. I do agree we should have a good season due to the horrid SOS. But i wouldnt throw him and his staff out after one season over 4-5 wins. Hell thats more wins than Kubiak got us in his last season.

I feel 10-12 wins will be what we win, the schedule just looks to damn easy ! If we had this schedule in 2011 we would of been 16-0

Wow i dont really agree with that. I do agree we should have a good season due to the horrid SOS. But i wouldnt throw him and his staff out after one season over 4-5 wins. Hell thats more wins than Kubiak got us in his last season.

I feel 10-12 wins will be what we win, the schedule just looks to damn easy ! If we had this schedule in 2011 we would of been 16-0
Kubiak tripled the win total from the previous year in his first year as HC.

I expect more from O'Brien because he inherited a better core team, has a better defense, an experienced defensive coordinator, a very good RB, and didn't have the owner's pet QB dumped in his lap.

Yeah, if O'Brien can't get more than 4 wins, he should be gone.

Back