Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 05-21-2014   #1
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2015 Texans Draft Needs

Is it to early to start talking about next years Houston Texans draft needs? We didn't fill all our holes in 1 draft. I know it's very early but here's the needs as I see them for now, in no particular order for now.

*QB, we've got 1 real vet. and 3 potential hopefuls. Hopefully someone will step up and take this off the list of needs but for now it's probably our biggest 2015 draft need. O'Brien doesn't strike me as a guy who will give a player 3-4 yrs. of development time to see what he'll become. Also, for now 2015 seems to be a very good year for QB's.
*CB, KJ will hit FA and JJo is expensive. Plus it doesn't seem we have much on the team in the way of replacements in the CB pipeline. Very high priority.
*WR, possibly a very big need depending on the AJ issue, we'll see. At the least we need some high quality developmental talent to replace AJ in a year or 2.
*DE, opposite JJ we've got Crick and some depth but no one that really wows anyone or puts fear in opposing OC's.
ILB/OLB depth, depth is needed at both positions. Hopefully Bullough can step up and own ILB next to Cushing, not sure of Reeds FA situation.

How do you see next years needs?
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2015 Texans Draft Needs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Is it to early to start talking about next years Houston Texans draft needs? We didn't fill all our holes in 1 draft. I know it's very early but here's the needs as I see them for now, in no particular order for now.

*QB, we've got 1 real vet. and 3 potential hopefuls. Hopefully someone will step up and take this off the list of needs but for now it's probably our biggest 2015 draft need. O'Brien doesn't strike me as a guy who will give a player 3-4 yrs. of development time to see what he'll become. Also, for now 2015 seems to be a very good year for QB's.
*CB, KJ will hit FA and JJo is expensive. Plus it doesn't seem we have much on the team in the way of replacements in the CB pipeline. Very high priority.
*WR, possibly a very big need depending on the AJ issue, we'll see. At the least we need some high quality developmental talent to replace AJ in a year or 2.
*DE, opposite JJ we've got Crick and some depth but no one that really wows anyone or puts fear in opposing OC's.
ILB/OLB depth, depth is needed at both positions. Hopefully Bullough can step up and own ILB next to Cushing, not sure of Reeds FA situation.

Free Safety 1st Day
CB 2nd Day
DE 2nd Day
BPA 3rd Day

Savage will turn into Texan version of Nick Foles, w/TJ or Case as back-up. OL will be set with quality depth, two/three deep every position.
Back-end will be addressed early. Have no idea if KJ will return or how Swearinger progresses based off last season & teams will be starved for big stronger db's to defend 2014 outstanding WR class.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014   #3
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

QB, CB, C, WR1, DE, SCB, ILB, SWR, move TE
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014   #4
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

^^^^
This

If Savage works out that solves a multitude of problems and the team can focus on fixing the secondary problems.

The way the game is played now you need 2 S and 3 CB's to play the 60% nickel that most teams are playing. Look at Seattle/SF as the model for great defense. BTW, I think Cleamons will be an upgrade at FS. With Swearinger dropping down to play the old GQ role as nickel LB and Lewis (who I'm not as confident in) playing the 3rd S role.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014   #5
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21346 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

much the same from me:
QB, CB, ILB, OT, TE, DE, RB
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014   #6
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114716 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

QB is the obvious one. Keep going to the well until you find your guy. CB is the biggest one after that. For me at least. Also need to plan for post-AJ and find his successor.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014   #7
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 71412 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Also need to plan for post-AJ and find his successor.
Quinshad Davis out of North Carolina is one to keep an eye on if he decides to leave early. I think he's on the upswing and will have an even better season this season with Ebron gone.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-21-2014   #8
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
much the same from me:
QB, CB, ILB, OT, TE, DE, RB
I forgot all about OT. We cut Winston 3yrs. ago and still haven't solidified that position. We've got Newton who will hopefully be healthy this season and better able to show us what he's got at OT, Quessenberry who's an unknown at RT, and B. Williams who I'll be very surprised if we ever get any playing time from, and then some depth guys. This might be a spot we spend some FA money on, we've already got enough draft needs and I don't want to throw some mid round talent out there and possibly get our QB hurt.
Old 05-21-2014   #9
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Not too early and this was my post on a thread by Playoffs a week ago when I thought he was seriously posting.

"Dang, thought you were serious. I am already focusing on positions IF '14 draft is what team hopes. For example, first four guys should start and Savage should at least become a backup. I would then not draft OLB, OG, Nose or TE but would go QB as high as round one if right guy there. In 2015 I want a CB, two safeties, an ILB and maybe two depending if Cushing makes it three in a row or injury list and QB. Hopefully, Bullough surprises people and is as good as I think he can be."
Old 05-21-2014   #10
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I forgot all about OT. We cut Winston 3yrs. ago and still haven't solidified that position. We've got Newton who will hopefully be healthy this season and better able to show us what he's got at OT, Quessenberry who's an unknown at RT, and B. Williams who I'll be very surprised if we ever get any playing time from, and then some depth guys. This might be a spot we spend some FA money on, we've already got enough draft needs and I don't want to throw some mid round talent out there and possibly get our QB hurt.
Witzmann is going to be the RT if Quessenberry isn't the starting RT and Witzmann will do a fine job. He's a big guy with good feet and a nasty streak. He needs to gain a little strength. But is better than Newton today. IMHO

How's that for a bold prediction?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Witzmann is going to be the RT if Quessenberry isn't the starting RT and Witzmann will do a fine job. He's a big guy with good feet and a nasty streak. He needs to gain a little strength. But is better than Newton today. IMHO

Well Newton started as a 7th round pick so a UDFA should not surprise anyone but I am going to say he falls behind both Newton and Q at least for half a season or so.
Old 05-22-2014   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Free Safety 1st Day
CB 2nd Day
DE 2nd Day
BPA 3rd Day

Savage will turn into Texan version of Nick Foles, w/TJ or Case as back-up. OL will be set with quality depth, two/three deep every position.
Back-end will be addressed early. Have no idea if KJ will return or how Swearinger progresses based off last season & teams will be starved for big stronger db's to defend 2014 outstanding WR class.
When Joseph signed he was much more highly thought of than KJ is now and Joseph's first year of contract was base of $5.5 million. Jackson's 2014 base is $4 m. Do you think he will get more than Joseph and if yes, from Texans or do they allow him to walk? We could be in dire straights for DBs this season. The base for Joseph is around $9 million and he will have to play like a probowler to earn that. We need to hope some of these end of bench guys step up sooner rather than later. We are set for now but it better look better than last season or KJ, Joseph, Harris and others may join McCain/
Old 05-22-2014   #13
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

That is a bold prediction and will gladly give you credit if it comes true. I'm not familiar with Witzmann so I don't share in your optimism. It's good to know that we'll have serious competition at RT as I don't expect anything from B. Williams. I just hope we can find someone to lock down RT for years to come so that we can scratch it off our list of needs. I'd really like us to be able to concentrate on QB and CB in the first couple rounds.
Old 05-22-2014   #14
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 71412 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
When Joseph signed he was much more highly thought of than KJ is now and Joseph's first year of contract was base of $5.5 million. Jackson's 2014 base is $4 m. Do you think he will get more than Joseph and if yes, from Texans or do they allow him to walk? We could be in dire straights for DBs this season. The base for Joseph is around $9 million and he will have to play like a probowler to earn that. We need to hope some of these end of bench guys step up sooner rather than later. We are set for now but it better look better than last season or KJ, Joseph, Harris and others may join McCain/
I think this is Joseph's last year on the team. Cut next off season, resign KJ, draft a CB in the first 3 rounds.

Reminded me of why you don't prod the bear.
Old 05-22-2014   #15
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68426 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Can't argue with that list at all.

I might add RT depending on how things play out this year. Someone (Quiss?) needs to grab hold of RT and not let it go.

Is Ben Jones the heir apparent at C to Myers? If not, add that to at least day 3 consideration.

I won't be shocked if Foster is released after this campaign. Do we have an answer on the roster? I doubt it, but remains to be seen.

I know KR/PR isn't an official position but really guys what do we have there? Sometimes that is filled by one guy - usually two. If we do draft a WR, RB, or even CB somewhere on day 2 or 3, would be nice if they could be a plus in the return game.

Safety merits discussion as well.
Old 05-22-2014   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTexan View Post
I think this is Joseph's last year on the team. Cut next off season, resign KJ, draft a CB in the first 3 rounds.
better be a darn good corner to start as a rookie.
Old 05-23-2014   #17
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTexan View Post
I agree with you that this is what will most likely happen, but I also agree with BB in being afraid of this scenario. KJ isn't a #1 CB and we've all seen what happens when you throw a rookie to the wolves. CB is one of the hardest positions to transition from college to the NFL and usually takes at least 1 yr. of sitting on the bench and learning. Maybe we go with another lesser quality FA with some of the money we save from JJo being cut. I just can't see throwing KJ, Harris, and a rookie on the field all the time. Hopefully our pass rush issues are solved by then, because we're surely going to need it.
Old 05-23-2014   #18
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
better be a darn good corner to start as a rookie.
Quote:
I agree with you that this is what will most likely happen, but I also agree with BB in being afraid of this scenario. KJ isn't a #1 CB and we've all seen what happens when you throw a rookie to the wolves. CB is one of the hardest positions to transition from college to the NFL and usually takes at least 1 yr. of sitting on the bench and learning. Maybe we go with another lesser quality FA with some of the money we save from JJo being cut. I just can't see throwing KJ, Harris, and a rookie on the field all the time. Hopefully our pass rush issues are solved by then, because we're surely going to need it.
I don't necessarily want the rookie starting as #1 or #2 corner. I'm hoping Bouye or Hall manages to figure it out enough that we're comfortable with one of them playing strong. If not, then some middle FA is what I would go with.

I agree Wolf that this plan really does require the pass rush to be strong though.

Reminded me of why you don't prod the bear.
Old 05-23-2014   #19
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Well we just had a draft with five CBs going in the first round. Two of them (Fuller and Verrett) I would have no problem throwing into the starting lineup immediately.

Gilbert and Roby need some coaching up but will probably have to start as rookies for their teams.

Dennard will likely get the benefit of sitting on the bench until he adjusts to the faster speed of the NFL game.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014   #20
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Well we just had a draft with five CBs going in the first round. Two of them (Fuller and Verrett) I would have no problem throwing into the starting lineup immediately.

Gilbert and Roby need some coaching up but will probably have to start as rookies for their teams.

Dennard will likely get the benefit of sitting on the bench until he adjusts to the faster speed of the NFL game.
Don't forget 3 safeties their DB's too. Really wanted Bucannon almost much as Texian wanted Bortles, lol.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read