Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-21-2014   #61
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216190 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Keenum, is this another case of Chris Myers and KJax?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I commented on that very thing last year. I was very interested in how Keenum would do once teams had some film on him. I was disappointed.
I was more interested in how our other offensive players and offensive scheme would adjust...........the type of offensive players left over, either because of injuries or questionable skills, couldn't.........and the offensive scheme wouldn't.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014   #62
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 267781 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTx11 View Post
If it were up to me, I'd let it be a competition between Fitz/Keenum/Yates for the starting QB and backup positions. Biggest loser of those 3 gets cut. Savage is locked in @ the #3 spot, where he will practice and learn.

We are in a rebuild anyways so the following is how it would work:

Whoever wins the starting job better come out of the gate shooting, and shooting well. Win OR lose, the starting QB will be evaluated based off of his play. Taking way too many sacks will be frowned upon as well as too many INT's, especially of the pick 6 variety!!!! I would not spend too much time this season with a QB that struggles! Bench him for the backup QB and let him have a shot. Repeat if necessary until we either have a confident winning QB at the starter spot, or else we run out of games!!
I could live with that!
Old 05-21-2014   #63
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 346173 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
Yates did not win the playoff game. The Texans did. All he did was hand the ball off and got the hell out of the way. Nothing in that game hung upon his shoulders what so ever. The defense and Foster controlled that one.

And he played like absolute crap against the Ravens so not sure where you got 'decent' from. Well, unless you mean decently bad then yes, I concur.
Yates was certainly a Trent Dilfer-ish "game manager" in that Bengals playoff game. He did not make any mistakes to cost them that game.

That said, his play was important in securing that playoff spot in Cincinnati. He had a solid drive, with a great long run, and capped with a great play and TD pass to Kevin Walter.

TJ Yates Game-Winning Drive

Now, don't get me wrong. This is not trying to make him a starter or even advocate anything, but I think he gets no credit around these parts, so I'm just trying to give him at least a little credit (that he deserves).

The 2011 season will most likely be the peak of his NFL career, so at least give him a little love while he's still a Houston Texan. He might be gone after this summer and be some other franchise's little Yates.
Old 05-21-2014   #64
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Rep Power: 2051 Tolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respected

LaCanfora speculates that Keenum will get a shot.....in Baltimore....

And that the legendary Brian Hoyer could end up with the Texans.

Who knows? But both are plausible.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/...--and-valuable
Tolar's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014   #65
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I was more interested in how our other offensive players and offensive scheme would adjust...........the type of offensive players left over, either because of injuries or questionable skills, couldn't.........and the offensive scheme wouldn't.
Iagree that Kubiak did CK no favors. I hope Keenum comes out of camp the unquestioned starter and turns the NFL on its ear with superlative play. I just don't have very much confidence in that happening.

I'm at a point now where I support the 3 vets pretty much equally. I have no clue how they will perform because I have no clue what kind of offense BO'B is going to employ. I lean a bit towards Fitz because of his intelligence and ability to learn new systems. I have no real idea of CK or TJ's ability to do the same.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014   #66
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolar's Ghost View Post
LaCanfora speculates that Keenum will get a shot.....in Baltimore....

And that the legendary Brian Hoyer could end up with the Texans.

Who knows? But both are plausible.

There's no way that CK will ever play on another Kubiak team.
Old 05-21-2014   #67
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolar's Ghost View Post
LaCanfora speculates that Keenum will get a shot.....in Baltimore.... And that the legendary Brian Hoyer could end up with the Texans.

I dunno, just never got the feeling Gary was all that juiced about Keenum.

And why would Browns dump Hoyer before seeing how injury prone Manziel is?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-21-2014   #68
AngryNateFTW
Veteran

Rep Power: 18057 AngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post

He played so well vs. Colts that he gave him a heart attack..
AngryNateFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014   #69
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I just re watched the 6-13 loss to the Jags.
It doesn't take too long with NFL Rewind as you can jump right to each play with a click of the mouse.

Believe it or not, Keenum played well enough to win.
More than enough, actually.
His receivers failed him repeatedly; from Graham to Hopkins; even A.J.
And of course, Martin.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014   #70
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post

I'm thinking Kubiak will scoop up either Yates or Keenum, whichever guy the Texans end up cutting.
It's not easy to find a minimum wage guy that has experience in his offense.
Old 05-21-2014   #71
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryNateFTW View Post
He played so well vs. Colts that he gave him a heart attack..
I wouldn't count the last two games to evaluate Keenum.
We all know the team has given up.

It's not a good idea.
Unless you want to release all the players and start anew.
LOL.
Old 05-21-2014   #72
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98526 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I just re watched the 6-13 loss to the Jags.
It doesn't take too long with NFL Rewind as you can jump right to each play with a click of the mouse.

Believe it or not, Keenum played well enough to win.
More than enough, actually.
His receivers failed him repeatedly; from Graham to Hopkins; even A.J.
And of course, Martin.
Obviously it is impossible to judge a performance just by the stats, but....

18/34 (52.9%) for 169 yards (4.9 ypa) with 0 TD's and 1 INT (completely on Martin IIRC). He had a QB Rating of 54.7 and a QBR of 14.4 for the game.

Even if the WR's let him down, that performance can't be solely blamed on them can it? He had at least something to do with it. In the 4th quarter of a one-score game he was....

7/14 (50%) for 64 yards (4.6 ypa) and 1 INT (not his fault IIRC).

The defense didn't play great (333 yards, 7/17 on 3rd down, 5.1 yards per play) but they did hold JAX to 13 pts. Enough to win. We scored 6. Not enough to win.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014   #73
corytx8
Veteran

Rep Power: 7456 corytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Obviously it is impossible to judge a performance just by the stats, but....

18/34 (52.9%) for 169 yards (4.9 ypa) with 0 TD's and 1 INT (completely on Martin IIRC). He had a QB Rating of 54.7 and a QBR of 14.4 for the game.

Even if the WR's let him down, that performance can't be solely blamed on them can it? He had at least something to do with it. In the 4th quarter of a one-score game he was....

7/14 (50%) for 64 yards (4.6 ypa) and 1 INT (not his fault IIRC).

The defense didn't play great (333 yards, 7/17 on 3rd down, 5.1 yards per play) but they did hold JAX to 13 pts. Enough to win. We scored 6. Not enough to win.

Really? Stats?
corytx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014   #74
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

I hate comparing anyone to Brady, because Brady is a witch.

But here's a difference:
Keenum's first 4 games:
8 TD, 1 Int, 7.87 yards per attempt.

His last four games:
1 TD, 5 int, 6.05 ypa.

Brady 1st four starting:
5 TD, 0 int, 6.78 ypa

Brady last four rookie games:
2 TD, 5 int, 6.86 ypa

Brady did not suffer a significant drop-off with game film. Keenum was godawful.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014   #75
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35666 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxiousdog View Post
I hate comparing anyone to Brady, because Brady is a witch.

But here's a difference:
Keenum's first 4 games:
8 TD, 1 Int, 7.87 yards per attempt.

His last four games:
1 TD, 5 int, 6.05 ypa.

Brady 1st four starting:
5 TD, 0 int, 6.78 ypa

Brady last four rookie games:
2 TD, 5 int, 6.86 ypa

Brady did not suffer a significant drop-off with game film. Keenum was godawful.
Brady also had a team going to the playoffs, while the Texans were trying to decide who was going to be the coach next season.

Keenum has one more chance if O'Brien doesn't cut him before preseason. At least then we can see if he learned anything from last year. If not, oh well.
santo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014   #76
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

No freaking way I would cut Keenum for at least another year. I'd want to see him through this preseason AND the next one. If he can't at least make #2 by then, oh well.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014   #77
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Rep Power: 2051 Tolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
pure speculation on his part.
That's why I wrote "LaCanfora speculates" (and not "LaCanfora reports").
Old 05-21-2014   #78
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
...the 6-13 loss to the Jags...
Some good points re Keenum.

And...Jayne Kennedy approves of your post:

http://www.people.com/people/article...072683,00.html

"One beaut came early in the fall, when Jayne read the scores in reverse order (as in "Lions 0, Bears 19")..."
Old 05-21-2014   #79
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo View Post
Brady also had a team going to the playoffs, while the Texans were trying to decide who was going to be the coach next season.

Keenum has one more chance if O'Brien doesn't cut him before preseason. At least then we can see if he learned anything from last year. If not, oh well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
No freaking way I would cut Keenum for at least another year. I'd want to see him through this preseason AND the next one. If he can't at least make #2 by then, oh well.
BO'B would be crazy to cut a QB before PS is over.
Old 05-21-2014   #80
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35666 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
BO'B would be crazy to cut a QB before PS is over.
I don't think he will. Basically I would keep Keenum if he played just as good as Fitzpatrick. He's cheaper and wouldn't cost much to keep him as a backup, but I don't know if O'Brien will keep him after this year if he plays on par with Yates and Fitzpatrick.
santo is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read