Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-27-2014   #221
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Keenum, is this another case of Chris Myers and KJax?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
I'm just going off of what i saw here which was an inability to adjust to players strengths...
Are we talking about Schaub's imagined strengths?
Old 05-27-2014   #222
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Seventh drive at 6:12 trailing by 14 now.

Jags rushed 4.
On first down, the Texans got beat by the twist again.
(This is a glaring weakness of the Oline all year long.)
Whether it was on Brooks or Harris, Case got hit before the 2-sec mark.
His ball went off target toward Griffin.

On second down, the spot of the snap was in the middle of the field.
Harris was pushed 8 yards into the backfield to the middle before the 2-sec mark.
Of the 5 targets, none was open; some weren't even ready for the ball.
Case bought some time with his feet and delivered the ball accurately to Graham near the first down marker.
He dropped the ball.

On third and ten, the Jags sent a 5-man blitz.
Case correctly went to the hot receiver AJ on the right; the only one open and ready on the quick slant.
I can't see whether it was KMart or Hopkins in the slot with AJ on the outside.
The Jags played an odd 5-1 zone.
The nickel back certainly did not respect our slot receiver's speed.
He gambled and took a quick step forward and jumped on the slant, limiting it to just 4.
Also, it was too bad that Case's progression was from left to right.
IMO, he felt like he didn't have time to wait any longer for the 5th read on a blitz.
Also, if he trusted the line a little more on this particular play, he might have had a TD in the far right corner.
But, it's far from easy to get to your 5th read on a blitz.

Kubiak decided to go with Schaub for the rest of the game.
You're either very good at typing, or you have no job and no life. It would take me a while to type all that out. I am not good at typing and I work 10+ hrs a day.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014   #223
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
You're either very good at typing, or you have no job and no life. It would take me a while to type all that out. I am not good at typing and I work 10+ hrs a day.
I'm fairly good at typing, I type by touch.
I took a few years off work, and currently only work about 30 hours a week.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014   #224
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 103388 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

At the end of the day 76, you're basically making excuses for Case and you're saying the same thing for Keenum that everyone says was Schaub's achilles heel; He needs everything around him to be solid or great for him to be good. Short of that, there will always be a reason why he didn't play up to his potential.

We need to get away from that. We need a qb that makes those around him good and can still function at a high level even when he doesn't have perfect circumstances. Why we're beating the drum for a guy who couldn't even win a game for us is beyond me.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014   #225
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
At the end of the day 76, you're basically making excuses for Case and you're saying the same thing for Keenum that everyone says was Schaub's achilles heel; He needs everything around him to be solid or great for him to be good. Short of that, there will always be a reason why he didn't play up to his potential.

We need to get away from that. We need a qb that makes those around him good and can still function at a high level even when he doesn't have perfect circumstances. Why we're beating the drum for a guy who couldn't even win a game for us is beyond me.
And where do you find that guy?
Old 05-27-2014   #226
corytx8
Veteran

Rep Power: 7456 corytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I think what 76 is trying to point out is the rookie mistakes Case were making. He is only trying to build a case for the man because everyone is quick to abandoned ship and want a rookie to play at a elite QB level out of the gate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.
corytx8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014   #227
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
... and you're saying the same thing for Keenum that everyone says was Schaub's achilles heel; He needs everything around him to be solid or great for him to be good.
You don't judge a QB after 8 games the same as one who has started 40+ games.
Old 05-27-2014   #228
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Give that man a cigar!!!!
Old 05-27-2014   #229
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The problem with that, is that guy is hard to find.

Matt Ryan... that's not him. They gave up a whole draft to get him another playmaker opposite Roddy White, in addition to Tony Gonzales & Steven Jackson (& Michael the burner turner before him) & they've been working on their defense ever since they drafted Ryan.

Joe Flacco... that's not him. They had the best defense for the last decade & the offense still couldn't score enough points to win (until recently).

Matthew Stafford... I don't think that's him, but it's hard to tell in Detroit.

Sam Bradford... we know he can't do it without help. He can't get to a winning season without help.

Cam Newton... I love watching this kid play, but it ain't him.

Tom Brady... well, everybody missed on that guy.

The QB is important. But we're better off (everyone is) focusing on building a solid team, with depth so in the event we do find that guy, he can do his thing. David Carr might have been that guy, but not on this team. Had we passed on him & he somehow made his way to the Miami Dolphins... who knows?
Old 05-27-2014   #230
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
The problem with that, is that guy is hard to find.

Matt Ryan... that's not him. They gave up a whole draft to get him another playmaker opposite Roddy White, in addition to Tony Gonzales & Steven Jackson (& Michael the burner turner before him) & they've been working on their defense ever since they drafted Ryan.

Joe Flacco... that's not him. They had the best defense for the last decade & the offense still couldn't score enough points to win (until recently).

Matthew Stafford... I don't think that's him, but it's hard to tell in Detroit.

Sam Bradford... we know he can't do it without help. He can't get to a winning season without help.

Cam Newton... I love watching this kid play, but it ain't him.

Tom Brady... well, everybody missed on that guy.

The QB is important. But we're better off (everyone is) focusing on building a solid team, with depth so in the event we do find that guy, he can do his thing. David Carr might have been that guy, but not on this team. Had we passed on him & he somehow made his way to the Miami Dolphins... who knows?
[
Old 05-27-2014   #231
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by corytx8 View Post
I think what 76 is trying to point out is the rookie mistakes Case were making. He is only trying to build a case for the man because everyone is quick to abandoned ship and want a rookie to play at a elite QB level out of the gate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.
& I think that is a big misconception. Just about everyone was giving Keenum a pass for at least the first 5 games he played. When Schaub was put in the game, it shocked everyone. Even me.

There are rookie mistakes that "everyone" makes even the guys who eventually go on to be "great" QBs. Then there are the ones Case makes. Then it didn't appear that he learned from those mistakes in 8 games.

It was as if they didn't watch the film the next day & say, "Case... y'know you f'kd up right there right? You bobbed, should've weaved. Remember that."

It was like watching groundhog day when the second half started.

I'm hoping this was a case of Kubiak wanting to "perfect" the young'n when clearly it wasn't time for that. Instead of trying to get Case to fit his system (which I feel is what Kubiak was trying to do), he should have said, "Ok, this is what he does well, this is what he doesn't... let's do more of this, & the next time the defense breaks out Case's Kryptonite, we'll hit them with this."

Instead, he was like, "Sink or swim kid... make it happen."
Old 05-27-2014   #232
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 103388 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Do you give an undrafted player the same amount of chances to prove himself as you would a #1 pick? Nope. Let's not be naive here Ericadoc.

Favre came in for GB as a 2nd year qb after Majowkski got injured...& not only won the game, he looked damn good doing it...ended the season with them as a starter on a 4 game win streak. The team he took over was 4-12 the previous year so he didn't have everything in place for him...he got in there & made that team go & never looked back...Same for Kurt Warner although he had more help...that team doesn't ascend to the greatest show on turf with Trent Green.

Guys in Keenum's position have to leave no doubt.& his performances once teams got film on him left plenty of doubt. You guys can duck your head in the sand and blame it all on Kubiak and rookie mistakes all you want but more of what was going on with Keenum had to do with Keenum's overall shortcomings than those other factors.
Old 05-27-2014   #233
76Texan
Hall of Fame

The question remains the same.
Where is the guy or do you think throwing dart will get you one?
Old 05-27-2014   #234
76Texan
Hall of Fame

How did you think Aikman got to 0-11?

What was the excuses for him?
Old 05-27-2014   #235
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Every team throws those darts...even with the Andrew Luck's & Peyton Manning's. Some teams are just closer to the dart board than others.

But just b/c you can't go and pick that guy up at Wal-Mart doesn't mean that you settle for something inferior. 8 games was plenty to get a glimpse of what Case could be...He ain't the guy.
Old 05-27-2014   #236
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Watching Keenum play makes me think he will do much better with the O'line we should have this season; whether that is enough...
Old 05-27-2014   #237
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Since we don't have that guy, we might as well make the best of what we got in Case Keenum right?

I'm good with that, that's the way I'm looking at it. Keenum most of all because he played at UH (yeah, I said it). But I wouldn't have a problem if they decided to make the best of what they've got with Tj Yates, or Fitzpatrick.

Case also hooked up with Andre a bit more so he's got that going for him as well. It most definitely would have been nice to see Keenum play on that 2011 team.
Old 05-27-2014   #238
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Every team throws those darts...even with the Andrew Luck's & Peyton Manning's. Some teams are just closer to the dart board than others.

But just b/c you can't go and pick that guy up at Wal-Mart doesn't mean that you settle for something inferior. 8 games was plenty to get a glimpse of what Case could be...He ain't the guy.
Obviously, OB does not think as do you or Case would be gone.
Old 05-27-2014   #239
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Questions are good.
Solutions are better.

At least I suggested Wilson and Glennon as viable candidates.
Old 05-27-2014   #240
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
How did you think Aikman got to 0-11?

What was the excuses for him?
Aikman:

a true rookie surrounded by a 4-12 team with 0 talent on said team...with a rookie head coach to boot....

Keenum:

2nd year player, with pretty good talent on offense with him, and a team coming off a playoff appearance the year before...and a coach with 8 years of experience under his belt.

see the difference there?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read