Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-26-2014   #181
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Keenum, is this another case of Chris Myers and KJax?

Also, my thinking is that Kubiak wanted Case to stay in the pocket more.

I think that's the right way to develop a QB.

You don't want them to make a habit of pulling up too often.

Remember how Kubiak said in one of the preaser; that he wants Keenum to trust his protection more?

Alas, his protection wasn't up to snub.

Why did you think Kubiak drafted Quiz, B Williams and Griffin?

Why do you think the Texans let go of W Smith, draft a LG, a blocking TE, a big FB, a big back, and sign another big back to replace Tate?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014   #182
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 8368 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

Remember how Kubiak said in one of the preaser; that he wants Keenum to trust his protection more?

Why did you think Kubiak drafted Quiz, B Williams and Griffin?

Why do you think the Texans let go of W Smith, draft a LG, a blocking TE, a big FB, a big back, and sign another big back to replace Tate?
Idk, Gary should have let Case play more to his strengths. Andy Reid tried to make Vick more of a pocket passer, but Vick made his money running around
PHILLYTEXANFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014   #183
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 201352 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I keep disagreeing with the part about teams figuring out Keenum.

The Texans got beat on Pass-Pro in non - blitzing situations a whole more than they should.
If they can just be average, it would give Keenum a hair more time (like a quarter of a second to half a second) on three or four plays per game.

If they were as good as the year that had them ranked in the top ten in pass-pro, it would have made a huge difference.

Sure, Keenum made some mistakes, but that is expected from a first time starter.

Missing OD, Foster, and Tate didn't help either.
Not only the run game suffered, but blitz pickup was poor by the other RBs.

The pass catchers were dropping more balls than ever.

And the defense didn't help put pressure on the opponents by bailing them out too often as compared to their best year.

I'm quite optimistic this year.
Protection was so bad, that on many plays, Keenum had less than 2.5 seconds before the D was on top of him........not enough time (even for the elite QB) to get rid of the ball or even the hot read to develop. Sure, he could have taken a load of sacks, or tried for what more likely would have been an interception than a reception. "Trusting the protection" and staying in the pocket was hardly an effective option. Although running backwards trying to extend plays many times did not pan out very well, it was one of the only options that gave much of a chance to move the ball forward.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014   #184
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Someone is going to have to explain how the OL protection went from no excuse at all for Schaub to so bad Keenum cannot be judged at all.

DB and Brooks got better as the season progressed.
Newton and Smith sucked all season long.
Myers was steady all season.

I'm thinking the answer is somewhere in the middle.
Old 05-26-2014   #185
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 201352 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub had a running game to keep Ds honest. Also, after I went back and watched some of the games, it was pretty evident that by the time Keenum took over, the D was also consistently able to come right up through the middle, a rush that even the most seasoned QB has difficulties with, let alone a neophyte.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014   #186
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Schaub had a running game to keep Ds honest. Also, after I went back and watched some of the games, it was pretty evident that by the time Keenum took over, the D was also consistently able to come right up through the middle, a rush that even the most seasoned QB has difficulties with, let alone a neophyte.
While having a running game plays a role in pass protection, it is not a free pass for the OL. The Texans led the league in passing with the 30th rushing attack (yards). Last year the Texans averaged 4.2 ypa (20th in yards and 15th in ypa) v. 3.5 ypa (31st on ypa) that season.

The Ds were able to come up the middle and not pay for it with Keenum in the game so they came full bore after it. Schaub reacted better to it as a vet should.

I'm not trying to laud Schaub or say Keenum has nothing more he can show. But I think the psychitzophrenic OL card is being overplayed both against Schaub and for Keenum.
Old 05-26-2014   #187
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
While having a running game plays a role in pass protection, it is not a free pass for the OL. The Texans led the league in passing with the 30th rushing attack (yards). Last year the Texans averaged 4.2 ypa (20th in yards and 15th in ypa) v. 3.5 ypa (31st on ypa) that season.

The Ds were able to come up the middle and not pay for it with Keenum in the game so they came full bore after it. Schaub reacted better to it as a vet should.

I'm not trying to laud Schaub or say Keenum has nothing more he can show. But I think the psychitzophrenic OL card is being overplayed both against Schaub and for Keenum.
Yeah but defenses did not have to fear foster either. Keenum only had Foster for what a quarter while he was starting. Teams did not fear nor respect Tate like they did Foster. So they were not worried about getting beat by the running game which in turn affects the pass protection and what defenses throw at you IMO.
Old 05-26-2014   #188
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Yeah but defenses did not have to fear foster either. Keenum only had Foster for what a quarter while he was starting. Teams did not fear nor respect Tate like they did Foster. So they were not worried about getting beat by the running game which in turn affects the pass protection and what defenses throw at you IMO.
I acknowledged that but that is a factor, not the whole game. As I said, with the 30th/31st ranked rushing attack (if being offensively bad can be considered an attack) with no RBs anyone feared led the league in passing with the sloth footed Schaub at QB. I am not saying pass pro including the running game shouldn't be a factor in evaluating Keenum because it absolutely should but it isn't the free pass some are making it out to be.
Old 05-26-2014   #189
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

I can understand Kubiak's thinking, & we should constantly work towards getting better, every game, every practice.

But I don't think this is the sort of thing we need to be working on during the season. He screwed up is what it comes down to & I knew it was going to happen.

I like Tj, but I don't think Kubiak bought into him being the future of the Texans. I believe that's what they saw when they looked at Case. But because we were "supposed" to be in the Super Bowl in 2013, he played it safe, kept Tj as the back up leaving Case on the practice Squad.

Case isn't learning the system if he's running the scout team. Who ever, whatever made them decide to go with Case at that point in his career didn't make a whole lot of sense.

Quote:
Alas.... it looked worse when Case was in than it did with Schaub or Tj.
Old 05-26-2014   #190
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

First time starters have these kinds of issues. I'm not going to make excuses for Keenum because I don't think they're necessary. The only question now is does he come back with a sense of urgency and more information in his head and can he apply that to produce an improved performance for OB.

I don't think he knew how to make defenses pay for what they were doing to him. At least not at this level/speed. If he doesn't learn it then he has no future as an NFL QB because only the ones who can do that last any length of time.
Old 05-26-2014   #191
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
That argument goes out the window when you see how the Jags treated Schaub when Case got benched.

No Foster for either.

The risk/reward ratio totally flopped when we put a QB back there that knew what he was doing.

Case needs to get better, period. Even if Foster was in the game, they won't respect him if they continue to force negative or net 0 plays.
Old 05-26-2014   #192
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I like Tj, but I don't think Kubiak bought into him being the future of the Texans. I believe that's what they saw when they looked at Case. But because we were "supposed" to be in the Super Bowl in 2013, he played it safe, kept Tj as the back up leaving Case on the practice Squad.

Case isn't learning the system if he's running the scout team. Who ever, whatever made them decide to go with Case at that point in his career didn't make a whole lot of sense.
Keenum wasn't on the practice squad last season.

I don't buy the not learning the system argument either. Keenum was sitting through all the film breakdown with Schaub. If he isn't learning anything from that, it's on him. (Yes more reps would be better but it isn't all or nothing.)
Old 05-26-2014   #193
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Someone is going to have to explain how the OL protection went from no excuse at all for Schaub to so bad Keenum cannot be judged at all.

My thoughts exactly. MSR!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014   #194
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Keenum wasn't on the practice squad last season.
Right I meant running the scout team.

Quote:
I don't buy the not learning the system argument either. Keenum was sitting through all the film breakdown with Schaub. If he isn't learning anything from that, it's on him. (Yes more reps would be better but it isn't all or nothing.)
Agreed. I kept waiting for it to start clicking for him. For that light to go off in his head, "Ah, now I see" but it never happened.
Old 05-27-2014   #195
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88550 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know about being a rookie in the NFL, but I know that in highschool and college, watching film as a young player is different than watching it as an established vet...

As a young player it's harder translate what you learn from watching film to what you see in live action because your head is still spinning. You don't fully understand what's going on.

I would imagine in the NFL it's similar, but muuuuuuuch harder.

You can watch all the film you want...study the whole playbook up and down...But that live action is a different animal...Even going out in practice against your defense or the scout team defense can be a big help...
xtruroyaltyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014   #196
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll have the 2nd Jags game break down later on, having an off - day.

Sure, Keenum made a few mistakes, but it wasn't like the Jags had him figured out.

How many points did we score on the Pats the previous week?

The O-line had problem with pass-pro all year long.
I didn't really cursed Schaub out, but I definitely can live without the pick sixes.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014   #197
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94101 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Once opposing defenses focused on keeping him inside the pocket... That is an important distinction. Keenum has some physical limitations that give defenses an advantage. That is an objective truth. Perhaps he can overcome them. His physical skill set simply reduces his margin for error and requires him to compensate in other areas. I am rooting for him. What I saw last year, though, is an excellent college QB and leader play his best football early. Then, as defenses scouted him, they forced him to do the things he can't do consistently- like throw intermediate passes from the pocket. Unless he can figure out how to do that consistently, he can not succeed in the NFL.
Preach on my brother. Pay attention to Case's highlight reel Cloak posted. just about every throw on that highlight reel was him throwing the ball to a WR well outside of the hashes or just outside of the hashes - well away from the clutter in the middle. When he wasn't throwing those passes he was throwing way deep over the defense......away from the clutter in the middle.

Another thing to note is most times when he was throwing deep he was running around well outside of the pocket and/or he was in shotgun. Some of that is Sumlin's system ingrained in him.... constantly challenging deep & feeling most comfortable in shotgun..... but some of it is his limitations too; It's pretty clear he can't see well inside the pocket to throw those intermediate passes in the middle of the defense...He needs to be in shotgun or away from the bulk of where everyone is to see the field well. That AZ game where he nearly had 3 passes picked off b/c he was forced to throw it more in the middle of the defense also makes it pretty clear that he doesn't have the arm strength to pull off throwing in their a ton.

& sorry to say those seam passes in the middle to the TE's are a staple of OB's offense so Case is facing an uphill battle to even be on the roster this year.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014   #198
edwardc5637
Rookie

Rep Power: 2228 edwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respected

Should have kept Shaub.
edwardc5637 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014   #199
cstyle42
Veteran

Rep Power: 5283 cstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respected

IziOTE= edwardc5637;2345153]Should have kept Shaub.[/quote]

Once cancer is gone it takes time to get used to living cancer free... after awhile you will realize how much harder it was with cancer versus without it.
cstyle42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014   #200
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Rep Power: 72899 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstyle42 View Post
Once cancer is gone it takes time to get used to living cancer free... after awhile you will realize how much harder it was with cancer versus without it.
Will the hyperbole never end?

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read