Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-18-2014   #21
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Crazy idea...Move Mercilus to ILB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
I like Wade as much as anyone, but have to disagree. One of the main reasons this team never reached its potential was predictability. Wade uses the same defense everywhere he goes, and the league has caught up to him. He doesn't try new things because what he had worked so well for all those years, but it has now passed him by. Same with that Denver version of the West Coast offense (which is in reality an off-shoot of the SF system).
Wade's defense may remain same but if he can bring a better player in he would do that. Injuries played huge role last year more so imo than opponents figuring it out.
Old 05-18-2014   #22
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 264272 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
Jadeveon Clowney (ROLB), Louis Nix (NT), Jeoffrey Pagan (RDE) and Max Bullough (ILB) all have a chance to start as rookies if they really shine in training camp. Obviously Clowney and Nix will definitely start, IMO. I think Brooks Reed deserves a chance to start if he proves worthy but Max Bullough has a chance to become something special in the long run.

Here's a nice video montage (mix) of Max Bullough at Michigan State

http://youtu.be/oQTlcFJDxZg

One thing is for certain. Romeo Crennel has a ton of young talent to work with on defense. It's hard to believe some of those guys just fell into our laps. Pagan should have been a third-round pick. Bullough should have been a fourth-round pick. Mike Vrabel's coaching may rub off on a guy like Max Bullough.

If everything pans out, the Houston Texans may have the best defense in the NFL for the next decade. A lot of amazing pieces and great coaching all around. Now if we can just feel as optimistic about our offense it wouldn't shock me if we're playing in the Super Bowl in two or three years.
How does somebody with that kind of hustle go undrafted? That just makes no sense whatsoever. Glad we got him though.
Old 05-18-2014   #23
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Last year, I saw Mercilus being thrown around like a rag doll too many times if he didn't have a straight unobstructed shot.
True but he still had 7 sacks. Perhaps with this coaching staff he could see double digits.
Old 05-18-2014   #24
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Well, Reed's talking about it, and I'm gonna go more with what he's saying than anyone that doesn't have "Coach" in front of their name.

LINK
Yep he is talking about it for three seasons but actually doing it? Nope.
Old 05-18-2014   #25
badboy
Site Contributor

Not even close TK, the biggest problem was injuries. We had no depth and when starters went down, the slide began.
Old 05-18-2014   #26
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Not even close TK, the biggest problem was injuries. We had no depth and when starters went down, the slide began.
Which is probably what lead to the poor coverage & having to commit so many PIs.

I'm not saying we dominated on defense other than penalities, I'm just saying for the most part, we limited big plays outside of penalties. But if a team needs 3 yards, limiting big plays doesn't really get you a lot.

But Darryl Sharpton wasn't playing so bad (or Tarpinian for that matter) that we had to get Brooks inside. Especially after we cut Montgomery & WillieJefferson.... who were we going to put in Brooks spot if we moved him inside?
Old 05-18-2014   #27
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102920 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Keep hearing about "multiple defenses and fronts" and to me reed fits that mold. He's a guy with the potential to play inside or out on any given down. We'll see how "multiple" we are I guess but he's a piece that looks like he could play whole games at either spot or swap roles a couple dozen times a game.

If we're playing a run heavy team I think I want him outside. Pass heavy, put him inside while shifting Clowney and mercy to olb.

I don't think we'll ever get an official announcement on any position change. We'll just see reed inside for the portion of a game once every 2-4 games.
Old 05-18-2014   #28
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Wade's biggest problem was penalties by the DBs. Most of the big plays we gave up were PIs & holding, that's why the yardage against our defense doesn't look so bad.

Other than penalties, we did a good job of limiting big plays. Maybe not as good as some would have liked, but when we allowed a 70+ yard drive, there was usually a big penalty involved, some times more than one.
One of wades biggest faults were the predictability by which he ran his defense. Since he played small nts. So he couldn't get the pocket push,it led him to a gap blitz a lot. The texans blitzed more on 2nd down than any team iirc. So now the inside drag routes and the man coverage out was getting exposed. What I know from RAC,he's more of a pressure/coverage guy. He will bring the heat or just use the pressure,but he will cover 2/cover 3 behind the blitz or pressure. The texans have more zone guys than man guys and that's what they will play.

In terms of Reed,he will do fine inside. He can't beat lt or rt on a regular basis,but getting on a shoulder and playing zone,he will be ok. Nobody complains because willis isn't good in coverage. Knowing your landmarks in the defense,closing windows,and not taking the bait is the most important in being good in coverage. People forget vrable was let go by the steelers before he found his nitch in NE.
Old 05-18-2014   #29
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
In terms of Reed,he will do fine inside. He can't beat lt or rt on a regular basis,but getting on a shoulder and playing zone,he will be ok. Nobody complains because willis isn't good in coverage. Knowing your landmarks in the defense,closing windows,and not taking the bait is the most important in being good in coverage. People forget vrable was let go by the steelers before he found his nitch in NE.
Nobody complains about Willis because when the play is behind the LOS, he can get there in a hurry & knock the sht out of the ball carrier.

My concerns about Reed is whether or not he can get through the traffic. Not something he's done much of playing on the edge.
Old 05-18-2014   #30
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 51680 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Reed and Mercilus have both been abysmal. Moving them inside just adds to their list of deficiencies. Reed might not be the worst inside linebacker in the league, I guess that's the upside? Mercilus has zero shot at success inside. He's just too limited to play that role.
Old 05-18-2014   #31
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

I would rather see Cushing move back to OLB and see Bullough and Reed inside. Let Mercilous rotate with Clowney a little and put him in rush packages.
Old 05-19-2014   #32
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24423 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we're going to see a big improvement in our linebackers this year. We finally have a couple of legitimate NT's & a bigger DE to keep the linebackers clean. Cush is going to love these guys. No more hybrid 34's. Let's run the 34 like it was designed to be run.

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014   #33
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24423 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's an off the wall question. What if we signed/traded for a big line controlling DE to play the left side & move JJ to the SLB, Clowney to the WLB & have Cush/Reed in the middle? Could JJ play standing up? Imagine those four playing linebacker with a D'line that can keep them clean. Just a thought.

The Texans Bull Rush
Old 05-19-2014   #34
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
Here's an off the wall question. What if we signed/traded for a big line controlling DE to play the left side & move JJ to the SLB, Clowney to the WLB & have Cush/Reed in the middle? Could JJ play standing up? Imagine those four playing linebacker with a D'line that can keep them clean. Just a thought.
When I found out RAC was coming, my first thought was they might move JJ to the OLB and bring in a couple of two-gapper DEs. That doesn't appear to be the direction they want to go at this point, though.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014   #35
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69514 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
When I found out RAC was coming, my first thought was they might move JJ to the OLB and bring in a couple of two-gapper DEs. That doesn't appear to be the direction they want to go at this point, though.
I kind of hope that they'll actually have Watt single gap with the rest of the line two gapping. It'd be sweet to let him keep trying to penetrate every play.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014   #36
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTexan View Post
I kind of hope that they'll actually have Watt single gap with the rest of the line two gapping. It'd be sweet to let him keep trying to penetrate every play.
From what I've heard, that's what RAC does with his DL. Watt won't be penetrating every play but for most of them.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014   #37
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
It does make you drool to think about it though.

The Texans Bull Rush
Old 05-19-2014   #38
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
It does make you drool to think about it though.
at my age there is nothing uncommon or exciting about drooling.
Old 05-19-2014   #39
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101400 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd like to move Reed Inside and Move Cushing outside to play over the TE. Cushing has played on the edge before and when he was a rookie he was a beast playing OLB (PED's and 43 aside).

Plus, I think it's less wear on him having to deal with Guards having a straight run at him. Dealing with TE's and tackles right off the line vs dealing with guards diving at your legs from different angles and having a straight run at you is a little easier. Cushing is big enough and strong enough to play that position. His coverage is more than adequate for SOLB and when he's asked to rush, he can do that as well.

And then in nickel and dime you can still move him back inside. And I'm not big on Mercilus anyways. I'd let him be a situational pass rusher if he proved to be good enough.

So in my universe it'd be Clowney, LB?, Reed, Cushing

My second option would be to just leave Reed outside to play the strong side.

I didn't like Reed as an ILB in Wade's 34, but I think in this 34 he'll be fine.

And with Mercilus, maybe this coaching staff can find something in him to get him to play right. For as athletic as his reported as being, he should play with that burst on the field. I didn't see it in college and I haven't seen it in the pros. They've gotta clean slate that guy and re-develop his thought process on the type of player he is.
xtruroyaltyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014   #40
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

I just don't see mercilous being able to drop into coverage.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read