Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-15-2014   #41
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2014 Post Draft Depth Chart

Add Mike Thomas to the WR group. He is with us this year, isn't he?

Nevermind. I see that he is in the slot WR group.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014   #42
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200..._atl_wesseling
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014   #43
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFL.com projects HOU starting line up

full breakdown and story below
LINK

QB Ryan Fitzpatrick
RB Arian Foster
WR1 Andre Johnson
WR2 DeAndre Hopkins
TE1 Garrett Graham
TE2 C.J. Fiedorowicz
LT Duane Brown
LG Xavier Su'a-Filo
C Chris Myers
RG Brandon Brooks
RT Derek Newton / Brennan Williams

DE J.J. Watt
NT Louis Nix
DE Jared Crick
OLB Jadeveon Clowney
ILB Brian Cushing
ILB Brooks Reed
OLB Whitney Mercilus
CB1 Johnathan Joseph
CB2 Kareem Jackson
SS D.J. Swearinger
FS Chris Clemons
Old 05-26-2014   #44
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL.com projects HOU starting line up

I would probably throw Quessenberry into the mix at RT. Other than that, looks pretty much dead on.
Old 05-27-2014   #45
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I would probably throw Quessenberry into the mix at RT. Other than that, looks pretty much dead on.
I hope you are right, but as soon as he was drafted last year by the previous regime, Quessenberry was characterized as a "fit" for Kubiaks ZBS that was their featured scheme for the OLine. OK so I know that the new guy may mix it up, but I'm thinking he's going to emphasize the power-plays more from what we've heard. And I'm still waiting to hear something, anything positive about Brennan Williams: is he even going to participate in this weeks OTAs ?
And if the X-man is going to play guard which seems to be the case from all we've heard, I think one of the biggest mysterys of the Texans Draft was not taking somebody to help at RT ? Does OB really have that much confidance with what's on the current roster for the RT position ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014   #46
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329529 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
I hope you are right, but as soon as he was drafted last year by the previous regime, Quessenberry was characterized as a "fit" for Kubiaks ZBS that was their featured scheme for the OLine. OK so I know that the new guy may mix it up, but I'm thinking he's going to emphasize the power-plays more from what we've heard.
From what we've heard? What would that be? How many Ferentz & their disciples do they have to bring in for folks to understand they may be upsizing ZBS like Seattle but they haven't shown any indication of moving away from it as the base scheme (also like NE)?

Q by the way is the same size as Jake Matthews. He's not undersized.
Old 05-27-2014   #47
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 280296 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I would probably throw Quessenberry into the mix at RT...
Interested to see if Q added some upper body strength in offseason.

( We could have a "Q" and an "X" on our offensive line. May impact which consonant we draft in 2015.)
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-27-2014   #48
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
From what we've heard? What would that be? How many Ferentz & their disciples do they have to bring in for folks to understand they may be upsizing ZBS like Seattle but they haven't shown any indication of moving away from it as the base scheme (also like NE)?

Yep,

A player isn't a finished product after a yr or two in the NFL. It appears that Quessenberry has gotten bigger/stronger during his down time.

Witzmann is a guy that intrigues me as a RT option. I could see him knocking B.Williams off of the roster. BOB didn't draft Williams and has no favorites.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014   #49
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Interested to see if Q added some upper body strength in offseason.

( We could have a "Q" and an "X" on our offensive line. May impact which consonant we draft in 2015.)
I think we can use a Zebra.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014   #50
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 82324 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I think we can use a Zebra.
We have one of those. His name is Brennan Williams.

He's the big black guy that goes larping.

xtruroyaltyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014   #51
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

He's an ideal fit for zone-blocking teams as a finesse blocker at 6-foot-5, 306. The Texans are likely to use less zone blocking under new coach Bill O'Brien.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/...d-quessenberry
That comment from rotoworld.com is a sampling of the flavor of the language that analysts often use to describe Quess. He's a player who's also described some places as being thin thru the legs, he's described more as a finesse type of Olineman than described with the "strong, tough guy" type of descriptions that O'Brien seems to like to use in describing his kind of players.
Players like Xavier Su'a-filo with his "pear-shaped" physique (big azz and large thick thighs), is what one thinks of when they think of a power-scheme blocking Olineman. And when have you heard of a coach drafting a guard with the 33rd pick in the Draft to play in a zone scheme ? Those guys are uusally takin in the late rounds or as UD rookie FAs.
OK, not a definitive explanation there by me to make my case I admit it, but it's an impression I have about what OB is and isn't looking for in his linemen and I hope I'm wrong here, I hope our problems can be solved at RT with who we now have on the team.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014   #52
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
We have one of those. His name is Brennan Williams.

He's the big black guy that goes larping.

Ha, he's a strange cat isn't he? Goodness, I had to stop following him on Twitter because on his love for wrestling and that dragonthingy cartoon.

I'm not expecting Williams to contribute much at all. I think he's Charles Spencer done
Old 05-27-2014   #53
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 82324 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
He's an ideal fit for zone-blocking teams as a finesse blocker at 6-foot-5, 306. The Texans are likely to use less zone blocking under new coach Bill O'Brien.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/...d-quessenberry
That comment from rotoworld.com is a sampling of the flavor of the language that analysts often use to describe Quess. He's a player who's also described some places as being thin thru the legs, he's described more as a finesse type of Olineman than described with the "strong, tough guy" type of descriptions that O'Brien seems to like to use in describing his kind of players.
Players like Xavier Su'a-filo with his "pear-shaped" physique (big azz and large thick thighs), is what one thinks of when they think of a power-scheme blocking Olineman. And when have you heard of a coach drafting a guard with the 33rd pick in the Draft to play in a zone scheme ? Those guys are uusally takin in the late rounds or as UD rookie FAs.
OK, not a definitive explanation there by me to make my case I admit it, but it's an impression I have about what OB is and isn't looking for in his linemen and I hope I'm wrong here, I hope our problems can be solved at RT with who we now have on the team.

There's different types of zone blocking..

You basically have 3 types...inside, outside and stretch...

I'd guess that most teams use some form of ZBS....I think Kubiak used more outside and stretch zbs which allows for more cutblocking and cutbacks by the RB....

Inside zone is more like power zone...IMO...

Stretch zone and outside zone oriented teams would want to have the athletic type linemen....while inside zone teams would want to have some guys that are more beefy...

If you run ZBS you'll likely have all three types in your playbook, but it's just that based on your personnel or opponent you may be running one type more than others....

I think OB might want to run more inside zone stuff with some outside zone and stretch zone barely mixed in...Just a guess on my part though...

But I say all that because a lot of people when they think of zone blocking only think of the stretch stuff. When they see a run that is designed to hit inbetween the tackles they don't associate that with zone blocking and sometimes it is zone blocking.

Last edited by xtruroyaltyx; 05-27-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-27-2014   #54
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Ha, he's a strange cat isn't he? Goodness, I had to stop following him on Twitter because on his love for wrestling and that dragonthingy cartoon.

I'm not expecting Williams to contribute much at all. I think he's Charles Spencer done
Yes...He is a strange guy...

And I'm not expecting him to do anything either...I didn't like his pass blocking in college (maybe he was injured) and if he's still having trouble with his injury then I don't know if he's ever going to get better...

Last edited by xtruroyaltyx; 05-27-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-27-2014   #55
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post

After Doc Jean's postings (several) on the subject that's exactly what I expect. I don't think he'll ever see the field and will be an injury settlement kinda guy. Sucks because I had hope for him but recovery from microfracture surgery for NFL players to return is near non-existent.
See not only Charles Spencer but Chester Pitts as well.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014   #56
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 280296 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

[Chart last updated 5/28/14]

2014 Depth Chart: Houston Texans
Quote:
Notes

• You might think we’ve been a bit harsh on last season’s first-round draft pick DeAndre Hopkins, but in truth he didn’t deliver much after a strong first two weeks of the season. He certainly didn’t have much help from the quarterbacks throwing him the ball, but we want to see him up his game before moving him up a notch.

• While the roster has two elite players, it also holds an awful lot of uncertainty with 22 players who are either rookies or players we simply haven’t seen enough to fairly judge yet. How those players perform will be key in deciding if the Texans bounce back this season or not.

• With the selection of Jadaveon Clowney with the first overall pick in this year’s draft, it looks like the Texans will move Brooks Reed to inside linebacker, manning the spot next to Brian Cushing. He’s struggled on the outside, but the majority of his negative grades have come from his inability to generate pressure, so perhaps the move will do him good.

Kareem Jackson has flashed the potential to be higher than just an average starter but, unfortunately, just hasn’t put it together on a consistent basis. The player we saw in 2012 is better than that, but in 2013 he was far too up and down to be considered anything more.

Roster Battles

1. Left Guard

Ben Jones may have played 1,032 snaps on the offensive line for the Texans in his first two seasons in the league, but he hasn’t been consistent enough with his play that a new coaching staff will feel comfortable handing him the starting job. They drafted Xavier Su’a-Filo in the second round of the draft and, if Jones can’t step up over the summer it won’t be a shock to see the rookie win the battle.

2. Free Safety

It’s still puzzling to me that it took so long for a team to snap up Chris Clemons this offseason, especially in a market that was hardly saturated with good free safeties. The problem for Clemons is that the Texans also signed Kendrick Lewis this offseason and, while Clemons has clearly been the better player recently, the team liked Lewis enough that they signed him a week before the former Miami Dolphin so he’ll have to prove again that he’s the better player.

3. Quarterback

Normally when you have a quarterback battle there is some hype around one of the players battling to win the job. That man in this battle is Tom Savage, whom the Texans drafted in the fourth round of this year’s draft. That should tell you all you need to know about this battle and, while he’s unlikely to open the year as the starter, it wouldn’t be a surprise to see him start a game or two late in the year if things don’t go to plan for the Texans. Ryan Fitzpatrick, T.J. Yates and Case Keenum all took snaps in 2013, but all three finished the year with negative grades. Fitzpatrick is the favorite to win the job heading into the season, but if past play is anything to go by, we could see three or four players start at the position this year.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014   #57
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 251410 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

As a color-vision deficient person, it took me a while to realize the two colors that almost look like exactly the same shade aren't both Red: High Quality and Poor Starter.

I was scratching my head trying to figure out why they thought Newton was a High Quality RT.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014   #58
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

I don't understand why they have pleasant as being an average starter, but have Swearinger as below average.
Old 06-02-2014   #59
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
I don't understand why they have pleasant as being an average starter, but have Swearinger as below average.
Yeah, I'm not sure why Pleasant is ranked at all, much less as an average starter. I do like his potential though.

To me, Swearinger was/is nothing more than a box safety that can't cover anyone. He's young, so hopefully he an improve in that area. He also needs to keep his piehole shut until he can prove he can be above average, imo

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read